Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

He also had a part in the live action Guyver movie.

I remember the VHS box making it look like he was the titular Guyver, but his character in the movie is some side detective who turns into a bug and dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Rascar Capac posted:

I always wanted to go to a sci-fi convention, meet Mark Hamill, and tell him that I really liked him in Sam Fuller's The Big Red One.

:same:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rascar Capac posted:

I always wanted to go to a sci-fi convention, meet Mark Hamill, and tell him that I really liked him in Sam Fuller's The Big Red One.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know he was in that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hamill actually wanted to be a voice actor from the start, being a face actor was a career stepping stone.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Crowetron posted:

I remember the VHS box making it look like he was the titular Guyver, but his character in the movie is some side detective who turns into a bug and dies.

He basically played the world's most incompetent CIA agent.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hamill seems like the kind-of dude who would be really fun to see in a stage play.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

One of the radio stations we listen to at work plays pop hits of the 80s and 90s. I generally like it 'cause it's songs from my youth. Pretty much every other day at least, they'll play "Funky Cold Medina".

I never really paid attention to the lyrics when it was popular (or understood how gross it is), and I can barely hear anything over the roar of a commercial hood vent. But today it came on while I could hear it, and HOLY poo poo. They are playing a song, daily, about getting women intoxicated so they can be taken advantage of sexually. Roofied, really. Unless of course it's a transwoman named Sheena, who has "an Oscar Meyer weiner" (edit: yes those are the lyrics).

That station and its parent corporation are getting one hell of an angry call/email/whatever else I can do from me, and I will not tolerate it being played at work anymore.

It's one thing to watch an old movie and cringe at a scene or two, but it's another to hear that almost every day as a woman, who works with 2 trans people.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Apr 13, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah it reminds me when I was revisiting Wonder Showzen which featured some truly genius and incisive bits of comedy based in its kids show conceit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhu4T_vwxIU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvrGHsjD7g

I can't find a video of it but I remember one rapid-fire joke they did of a woman dressed as the Statue of Liberty in a coffin-- she sits up and says into the camera with dead-eyed solemnity "SIGNIFICANCE" and it manages to be a better diffusion of early 00s satire of W. Bush than anything else from that era...

...But a lot of its humor was just generic edgelord idiocy punching in any direction that would get a reaction. They did an entire episode and a half focused on "Horse Apples" taking potshots at Conservatives of the time, which came across as extra-toothless during W.'s second term, where the punchline was just "poor white trash that votes GOP exists and we're doing their talking points as Hee Haw."

They also did a segment where a little kid dresses as Hitler and asks people in Manhattan "What's wrong with the youth of today?" which definitely couldn't get done in 2021... now that we know the Nazis are still a very real "thing" to deal with. AV Club ran another retrospective on the Beat Kids' stuff which is why it was on my mind.

But the real :kstare: "holy poo poo not a single frame of this is acceptable" poo poo that has aged the absolute worst is the episode where the character of Mother Nature decides to undergo hormone therapy for gender reassignment and "thus" the world's weather is out of whack. The trans ignorance is off the charts, and the climax of the episode is a protracted sequence of Mother Nature doing a sex reassignment surgery on herself with the chief joke being that she's a puppet and showing the felt bits flying everywhere, ultimately dying and the main depraved puppet literally fucks a biohazard bin labeled "lady parts" (link here: https://youtu.be/IuUQJ-mZzoM). Like it's not transphobic in the "actively anti-trans" sense, but it presents gender reassignment in a really bad light and feels very much like the show punching down for no reason. I remember being uncomfortable with it as a teenager and having actually grown up a little and met a lot of wonderful folk in the TQ+ community, rewatching this now makes me feel kind-of sick.

And it bums me out because I do think the best bits of Wonder Showzen work as both amazing satire and amazing comedy structure, especially as a rambling whole, but man when they whiffed they whiffed hard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DreadUnknown posted:

Hey now Hamil was in Slipstream with Bill Paxton too, it wasnt all Luke Skywalkers.

I rented a movie once where Mark Hamill has to go back in time and ends up meeting his mother who gives birth to him during the climax but for some reason baby-him is not breathing until the end of the movie when adult Mark saves the day and then he dies and disappears and baby Mark starts breathing because apparently only one version of you can be alive at the same time and the universe knew Mark had saved the day as an adult so it was okay for him to die and become a baby.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He was also in this terrible movie in the early 90s called Earth Angel where the filmmakers were too cheap to spring for kid actors for characters so Mark Hamill, Erik Estrada and Cindy Williams (who were all in their 40s) had to play teenagers in the opening of the movie.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

They did an entire episode and a half focused on "Horse Apples" taking potshots at Conservatives of the time, which came across as extra-toothless during W.'s second term, where the punchline was just "poor white trash that votes GOP exists and we're doing their talking points as Hee Haw."

Horse Apples I think was more meant as a satire of the "Blue Collar Comedy" juggernaut of the time (Jeff Foxworthy, Larry The Cable Guy, et al) and the broader thing it represented of exploiting American ignorance and selling it back to them (which is more clear in the "Middle America" episode where they show the focus group for it). But yeah, that context is kind of lost all these years later.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

marshmallow creep posted:

I rented a movie once where Mark Hamill has to go back in time and ends up meeting his mother who gives birth to him during the climax but for some reason baby-him is not breathing until the end of the movie when adult Mark saves the day and then he dies and disappears and baby Mark starts breathing because apparently only one version of you can be alive at the same time and the universe knew Mark had saved the day as an adult so it was okay for him to die and become a baby.

Time Runner. I saw it once on cable when I was like 9 and it’s forever burned into my brain.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately the first Wonder Showzen I saw was focused on a plot line where Letters and Numbers were fighting and it was this really weak Israel/Palestine allegory full of cheap Arab/Jewish stereotypes.

Like it even sounds like it could work but it doesn’t.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

londonarbuckle posted:

Horse Apples I think was more meant as a satire of the "Blue Collar Comedy" juggernaut of the time (Jeff Foxworthy, Larry The Cable Guy, et al) and the broader thing it represented of exploiting American ignorance and selling it back to them (which is more clear in the "Middle America" episode where they show the focus group for it). But yeah, that context is kind of lost all these years later.
Even with the context it mostly just plays as impotent, if I'm being honest.

With the exception of Clarence, all the best Wonder Showzen bits were the ones they got actual kids for-- if there's a kid on the voice track (like the Hot Dog Factory or the Mint) or on-camera in some capacity, odds are it's a good bit.

While a few of the puppet bits are ok, they generally range from awkward to downright terrible. Then the cartoon interstitials are generally watchable, but have that Adult Swim/Family Guy adolescent stink on them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1AHDNTXYSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQEJblS6tI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67YfJyc_rew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO3fYphfzJE

Like they're not worth getting offended over despite having some pretty nasty stereotype overtones, and the animation quality is too good to just dismiss, but drat if I thought they were a lot funnier back when I was a teenager jerkoff.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Not gonna lie, I still laugh at "You're dead to me chumpy! Dead like Lincoln!"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Why did you create WinoBot?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The guy going “I haven’t oppressed anyone yet today... I’ll probably oppress someone later” was pretty good.

Holy moly that first cartoon was, I don’t know what to call it besides just bigoted

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Wow, those really suck

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so these are all awful but this one in particular is just confusing. why does a jewish guy turn into a black blonde when he's in danger? why does this he-man parody have powers like as if he's clayface. i'm more puzzled at this than offended :psyduck:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

fartknocker posted:

Time Runner. I saw it once on cable when I was like 9 and it’s forever burned into my brain.

This sounds like the greatest movie ever made and I must watch it immediately.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

He was also in this terrible movie in the early 90s called Earth Angel where the filmmakers were too cheap to spring for kid actors for characters so Mark Hamill, Erik Estrada and Cindy Williams (who were all in their 40s) had to play teenagers in the opening of the movie.

oh god, one of my friends at university was obsessed with this movie for some reason and I saw it over and over. It's so bad and I've no idea why they liked it so much.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

There's a Rifftrax of this with Bridget and Mary Jo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

mind the walrus posted:

Hamill seems like the kind-of dude who would be really fun to see in a stage play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2XOuF_slYI

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

so these are all awful but this one in particular is just confusing. why does a jewish guy turn into a black blonde when he's in danger? why does this he-man parody have powers like as if he's clayface. i'm more puzzled at this than offended :psyduck:

These guys went on to make Xavier Renegade Angel, don't think too much about it

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Flinger posted:

These guys went on to make Xavier Renegade Angel, don't think too much about it

that...actually makes a lot of sense

speaking of which, this bad animation talk reminded me Drawn Together. that show was definitely...something

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr Interweb posted:

speaking of which, this bad animation talk reminded me Drawn Together. that show was definitely...something

When I actually heard the concept of Drawn Together, I thought it was interesting. Exploring all these different art and animation styles and the clashes between them? Sounds great, and a faux-reality show was a neat setting to use them. And the diversity of character artstyles showed they had actual knowledge of that; sure, everyone would think of a superhero, a Disney princess, Betty Boop, when stretching most people would probably land on some part of 70s Hanna-Barbera when fleshing out the cast. But only people really paying attention to the medium would think of early Flash/Newgrounds animation, or fantasy video game art.

But... well, I guess they needed a consistent tone, and at that time on Comedy Central, they only had one choice.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I liked drawn together but I don't think I've seen it since high school and I feel like that's one of those shows I shouldn't ever revisit.

Like tripping the rift

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Len posted:

I liked drawn together but I don't think I've seen it since high school and I feel like that's one of those shows I shouldn't ever revisit.

Like tripping the rift
Yeah both of those are basically animated cancers. Drawn Together, as was said, had a weird kind-of potential but it's a show that didn't just go for the lowest hanging fruit-- it actively sought it out at every possible turn. I'll be loving real, it reminds me a lot of early 00s SA in that regard.

Tripping the Rift is somehow worse.

I don't know how Chuck Austen managed to convince so many powerful media people he was worth a gently caress for a hot minute. He somehow got TV people to throw money at a sci-fi comedy during the exact same time Futurama was barely holding onto life, while simultaneously getting to write one of the main X-Men books at Marvel.

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm not defending that one because seriously, it's loving lame, but I think this was just a case where their whole free-association style of tangent humor really backfired. They started from a bad place and only got worse.

I will admit I do like that they're very clear that the black dudes are just hanging out and the "black on black eye" gag is genuinely funny ("Looks so real!")

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mind the walrus posted:

I don't know how Chuck Austen managed to convince so many powerful media people he was worth a gently caress for a hot minute. He somehow got TV people to throw money at a sci-fi comedy during the exact same time Futurama was barely holding onto life, while simultaneously getting to write one of the main X-Men books at Marvel.

I wasn't always that media savvy when I was younger, but I watched maybe half an episode of Tripping the Rift because my nerdy friends were into it, and then deleted it off my HD. I have a high tolerance for poo poo, but even my younger, more edgelordy self was repulsed.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah both of those are basically animated cancers. Drawn Together, as was said, had a weird kind-of potential but it's a show that didn't just go for the lowest hanging fruit-- it actively sought it out at every possible turn. I'll be loving real, it reminds me a lot of early 00s SA in that regard.

I'm not defending that one because seriously, it's loving lame, but I think this was just a case where their whole free-association style of tangent humor really backfired. They started from a bad place and only got worse.

I will admit I do like that they're very clear that the black dudes are just hanging out and the "black on black eye" gag is genuinely funny ("Looks so real!")

Yeah i have an easy-ish time forgiving wonder showzen's edgelordiest moments just because those guy's comedic style is funny enough to me that they get in some genuinely unique & funny lines and ideas even when their "satire" gets away from them.

Drawn Together and Tripping The Rift were always poo poo though.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I admit I still kept reading the wiki summary after it listed the 2nd character as a sex slave robot that gets the crew out of trouble with "good in bed" but then the 3rd character was this:

T'Nuk Layor (Gayle Garfinkle) — T'nuk is the ship's ill-tempered, triple-breasted, quadrupedal, amorous pilot and cook. While most of the other characters consider her as grotesquely unattractive as she is unpleasant, she is considered attractive on her (unknown) home planet. She was chosen as the pilot because she is skilled at keeping the Spaceship Bob in check. Her name is based on the word nuclear, while her name spelled backwards says Royal Kunt.

Nah I don't gotta know more.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Cage posted:

I admit I still kept reading the wiki summary after it listed the 2nd character as a sex slave robot that gets the crew out of trouble with "good in bed" but then the 3rd character was this:

T'Nuk Layor (Gayle Garfinkle) — T'nuk is the ship's ill-tempered, triple-breasted, quadrupedal, amorous pilot and cook. While most of the other characters consider her as grotesquely unattractive as she is unpleasant, she is considered attractive on her (unknown) home planet. She was chosen as the pilot because she is skilled at keeping the Spaceship Bob in check. Her name is based on the word nuclear, while her name spelled backwards says Royal Kunt.

You made it further than me. The general setting summary sounded fine, then the name of the first character was "Chode McBlob" and the second character was a sex slave and I stopped.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

jjack229 posted:

You made it further than me. The general setting summary sounded fine, then the name of the first character was "Chode McBlob" and the second character was a sex slave and I stopped.

It's Stephen Root, how bad could it be?

Don't answer that, I don't want to know nor do I want to watch it.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
gently caress you all for reminding me Tripping the Rift existed. My sense of humor is extremely bad and dumb, and was even more so back then. I can count the number of comedies that didn't make me laugh even once on one hand, and Tripping the rift gets a special honor as the middle finger because I couldn't even make it ten minutes in.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I wasn't always that media savvy when I was younger, but I watched maybe half an episode of Tripping the Rift because my nerdy friends were into it, and then deleted it off my HD. I have a high tolerance for poo poo, but even my younger, more edgelordy self was repulsed.

My Dad said he loved this show, but when it was on he'd just sit there blankly and say "that's hilarious'in a flat tone. I found it boring. The 'jokes had either no buildup or the punchline could be seen a mile away and then they'd sit there and explain the joke to you. Very weird and dull.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cage posted:

lol the sex bimbo who was constantly horny for gross alien dick was played by a different actress every season. can't tell if they just didn't like the show or the creator just kept hiring different hot women each season for some sexpest reason.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plethora posted:

My Dad said he loved this show, but when it was on he'd just sit there blankly and say "that's hilarious'in a flat tone. I found it boring. The 'jokes had either no buildup or the punchline could be seen a mile away and then they'd sit there and explain the joke to you. Very weird and dull.

I never watched the series of Tripping the Rift, but I remember watching the original short that was floating around for a few years before the series, and never wanting to go back. I remember it being uncomfortably horny, but also full CGI, which was probably part of the appeal since that was new for TV at the time.

Apparently my dad and brother loved it, and kept trying to get me to watch it.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Back in high school, as part of a class, the teacher showed the class that Tripping the Rift short as part of a demo of computer animation. Even as a sophomore, in my head I was like "dude, are you sure you should be showing this to your students?"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think I watched a couple episodes with my brother, thought it was sort of funny (but I was also a teenager that thought Robot Chicken was the funniest thing ever) but every time I think about watching more to see if they did anything beyond pop culture parodies (one episode was the crew on a planet that was just Desperate Housewives) I remember how repulsive the captain is and think "no that's fine, let's just leave that in the past".

I seem to have the same relationship with Drawn Together, despite lots of my friends talking about how great it is I have never gotten more than 5 episodes before deciding to watch something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Allen Gregory is the worst cartoon I've ever seen and I suspect it has only gotten worse with age. About the only positive is Keith David and French Stewart got some money for it.