Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mrenda posted:

I've downloaded Fallout 4 on Game Pass (for PC.) I think it's just the base game. I've never really played a 3D Fallout. I bounced off New Vegas as the intro was so dull and brown. Should I play Fallout 4 with mods from the off, or should I do a vanilla play first, keep in mind that I've pretty much never played a game a second time with mods, unless you count Oblivion.

Also, Game Pass has Fallout 76, is there more of a money sink in it beyond Game Pass. Maybe I'm asking the wrong people, but is that still trucking on, and has it trucked to somewhere better? I'll probably stick with Fallout 4, though.

You should absolutely play with mods on. Lack of access to a script extender will restrict how deep they can cut, but there are some real quality of life improvements out there.

Do you want a SkyUI-style inventory instead of one that was optimized for consoles with CRT outs? With AWKCR, DEF_UI, VIS, and an optional icon library, you can actually sort your inventory so all your useless raider armor is in one solid block to scrap or throw off a cliff, and see a merchant's inventory spread out over your entire screen instead of just the middle third or so.

Do you want to see the words you will actually say instead of vague hints at your meanings? Get Full Dialogue Interface and a small patch to handle the Creation Club UI. (Caution: sometimes vague hints are actually used for humorous purposes or to indicate prices.)

Do you want to see the mechanical effects of all the gun mods you're applying and perk magazines you're picking up instead of less helpful text like "Superior recoil. Inferior range."? Try Even Better Mod Descriptions.

Do you want the best boy to be able to follow you on all your adventures no matter who else is tagging along? Everyone's Best Friend.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, do you want all those legendary enemies to be named like things some guy might actually tell a legend about? True Legendary Enemies.

(After lastly, and perhaps less importantly, do you want some goon snarking at you from a loading screen regarding a gameplay feature you probably don't know what the joke is about yet? Wasteland Survival Guide!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Glazius posted:

You should absolutely play with mods on. Lack of access to a script extender will restrict how deep they can cut, but there are some real quality of life improvements out there.

Do you want a SkyUI-style inventory instead of one that was optimized for consoles with CRT outs? With AWKCR, DEF_UI, VIS, and an optional icon library, you can actually sort your inventory so all your useless raider armor is in one solid block to scrap or throw off a cliff, and see a merchant's inventory spread out over your entire screen instead of just the middle third or so.

Do you want to see the words you will actually say instead of vague hints at your meanings? Get Full Dialogue Interface and a small patch to handle the Creation Club UI. (Caution: sometimes vague hints are actually used for humorous purposes or to indicate prices.)

Do you want to see the mechanical effects of all the gun mods you're applying and perk magazines you're picking up instead of less helpful text like "Superior recoil. Inferior range."? Try Even Better Mod Descriptions.

Do you want the best boy to be able to follow you on all your adventures no matter who else is tagging along? Everyone's Best Friend.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, do you want all those legendary enemies to be named like things some guy might actually tell a legend about? True Legendary Enemies.

(After lastly, and perhaps less importantly, do you want some goon snarking at you from a loading screen regarding a gameplay feature you probably don't know what the joke is about yet? Wasteland Survival Guide!)

Thanks for this. After playing for three hours on Game Pass I decided I might play this off and on for a while, so bought the GOTY version (on sale) for Steam. I'm installing all these now and hopefully they'll all work with my transferred save file (that seems not to be an issue so far.)

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Aww man, replaying FO4 - doing Kelloggs memories, and they're talking about Piper on the radio in the memory of Kellogg and Shaun hanging out at his Diamond City apartment. Isn't that chronologically incorrect? Unless it's another Piper and another Mayor, which is a stretch. So they fudged the plot. Dammit, Bethesda.

Edit: or is that supposed to be robo shaun?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

BrotherJayne posted:

Aww man, replaying FO4 - doing Kelloggs memories, and they're talking about Piper on the radio in the memory of Kellogg and Shaun hanging out at his Diamond City apartment. Isn't that chronologically incorrect? Unless it's another Piper and another Mayor, which is a stretch. So they fudged the plot. Dammit, Bethesda.

Edit: or is that supposed to be robo shaun?

The second one. It was robo shaun bait to lure out the player character.

I like lasers, do laser guns still suck in FO76 or did they fix that?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I like lasers, do laser guns still suck in FO76 or did they fix that?

Tesla guns are fun. Lasers are ok, but there are many other better options. Ultracite Lasers suck so much for no reason.

If you got your hands on a legacy explosive laser, then they are great, but that its hard to find anyone willing to part with one.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gatling lasers are ok and ultracite gatling lasers are good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mrenda posted:

Thanks for this. After playing for three hours on Game Pass I decided I might play this off and on for a while, so bought the GOTY version (on sale) for Steam. I'm installing all these now and hopefully they'll all work with my transferred save file (that seems not to be an issue so far.)

Cool! If you have the GOTY edition you'll want to install one more mod: Keep Radiants in the Commonwealth. Otherwise, the DLC areas are added to the pool of radiant quest destinations when you meet their level requirements, which can block you from certain faction activities gated behind introductory radiant quests. ...also, it doesn't make a lot of sense that some bounty board in Diamond City cares a whole lot about coastal Maine all of a sudden.

Don't worry about putting it on after the game starts, Fallout 4 is quite a bit better about save corruption in that regard, and the only thing it affects is the destination of future radiant quests.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

If you're a fan of Fallout 1 and 2 you really owe it to yourself to finish New Vegas.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
Where do I get more ultracite lasers or plans for mods for them? I know they mostly suck, but I got a decent vampire laser and I'd like to be able to mod the drat thing.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Bmac32 posted:

Where do I get more ultracite lasers or plans for mods for them? I know they mostly suck, but I got a decent vampire laser and I'd like to be able to mod the drat thing.

Events in the Cranberry Bog have a very low chance to reward a plan upon completion.

The Prime Receiver plan drops from the Queen.

Phoenix, the bot in Watoga sells them sometimes. Prepare for A LOT of server hopping if you want to go that route.

Crafting and scrapping the weapon is your best bet. Craft a couple of the lowest possible level versions and scrap them again. Don't know how much you'll need to scrap to learn them all but it's certainly not as many as the damned Radium rifle.

Oh yeah, the Prime plan is the only one you will NOT get from crafting and scrapping, that's a Queen only drop.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

Sensenmann posted:

Events in the Cranberry Bog have a very low chance to reward a plan upon completion.

The Prime Receiver plan drops from the Queen.

Phoenix, the bot in Watoga sells them sometimes. Prepare for A LOT of server hopping if you want to go that route.

Crafting and scrapping the weapon is your best bet. Craft a couple of the lowest possible level versions and scrap them again. Don't know how much you'll need to scrap to learn them all but it's certainly not as many as the damned Radium rifle.

Oh yeah, the Prime plan is the only one you will NOT get from crafting and scrapping, that's a Queen only drop.

Thanks a bunch. Got lucky and found the recipe for the gun in Whitesprings first time I tried. Now just gotta fish for mods.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I came across my first real stumbling block in Fallout 4. I went straight to Tenpines Bluffs after the Minutemen came back to Sanctuary, thinking it'd be easier than going to Diamond City, and at Tenpines they sent me to clear out a factory. A factory that seems to have about thirty people all over it, at least, and where my strategy of running right up to them and shotgunning them in the face has made me use all the stimpaks I collected. And even then it's not fully cleared out. I did some reading after spending literally an hour clearing out the factory, and supposedly I only have to kill one specific person, which is no help to me because I've already cleared out all the guys on the outside. I know there's some degree of auto-levelling, but I really think I'll have to get better armour, at the least, to come back to this (and hope the whole factory hasn't respawned.) What makes it even more difficult is the turrets. I have an energy weapon, and I'm using vats to get a double shot on them, which I think is the best way to go, but sometimes I have to leave myself very exposed to get a good shot on the turrets. All in all, after an easy start, this is a lot more difficult than I expected.

With all that being said, I now feel like the world of Fallout 4 is a lot more dangerous than I initially thought, and it's making me very hesitant about exploring more and venturing out from Sanctuary.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bmac32 posted:

Thanks a bunch. Got lucky and found the recipe for the gun in Whitesprings first time I tried. Now just gotta fish for mods.

Don't forget to equip Super Duper and Science Expert Lvl2 before you start crafting.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mrenda posted:

I came across my first real stumbling block in Fallout 4. I went straight to Tenpines Bluffs after the Minutemen came back to Sanctuary, thinking it'd be easier than going to Diamond City, and at Tenpines they sent me to clear out a factory. A factory that seems to have about thirty people all over it, at least, and where my strategy of running right up to them and shotgunning them in the face has made me use all the stimpaks I collected. And even then it's not fully cleared out. I did some reading after spending literally an hour clearing out the factory, and supposedly I only have to kill one specific person, which is no help to me because I've already cleared out all the guys on the outside. I know there's some degree of auto-levelling, but I really think I'll have to get better armour, at the least, to come back to this (and hope the whole factory hasn't respawned.) What makes it even more difficult is the turrets. I have an energy weapon, and I'm using vats to get a double shot on them, which I think is the best way to go, but sometimes I have to leave myself very exposed to get a good shot on the turrets. All in all, after an easy start, this is a lot more difficult than I expected.

With all that being said, I now feel like the world of Fallout 4 is a lot more dangerous than I initially thought, and it's making me very hesitant about exploring more and venturing out from Sanctuary.

Corvega can be a bit tricky in the early game. I think there's a sewer entrance in the back you can use to bypass the guys outside but then you've got to make your way up through the basement.

If you've just been following the main quests there is a lot of early game stuff in the Sanctuary area you can do if you explore the area a bit. That should get you some level ups and crafting material to upgrade your gear. Definitely hit up Abernathy Farm to the southwest of Red Rocket for a good early game side quest plus access to a merchant. East of Red Rocket you'll find Thicket Excavations which has another easy side quest for some xp. South of that look for Drumlin Diner which will get you an even better merchant.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

J-Spot posted:

Corvega can be a bit tricky in the early game. I think there's a sewer entrance in the back you can use to bypass the guys outside but then you've got to make your way up through the basement.

If you've just been following the main quests there is a lot of early game stuff in the Sanctuary area you can do if you explore the area a bit. That should get you some level ups and crafting material to upgrade your gear. Definitely hit up Abernathy Farm to the southwest of Red Rocket for a good early game side quest plus access to a merchant. East of Red Rocket you'll find Thicket Excavations which has another easy side quest for some xp. South of that look for Drumlin Diner which will get you an even better merchant.

I was making my way to Diamon City (I did that diner quest with the merchant's son) and as I was walking near a bridge some overheard lamp dropped a grenade on me, it seemed. Absolute bastard. I feel like the game is telling me to quicksave often.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

For corvega, I just collected enough poop and plastic to make 30 things of Jet, then darted through like Neo with asthma and an extra chromosome

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
76: trying to do the blade of bastet mission and the critters killed count stopped at 3/6. I've spent too much time and health clobbering everything to death and nothing has counted in a long rear end time. Tired of breaking out that level 1 poo poo sword as a level 87 and spending 10 minutes hacking things to death. Any solution to this?

I'm killing all sorts of enemies with it, not just molerats or fireflies, so it's not a duplicate level creature thing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

76: trying to do the blade of bastet mission and the critters killed count stopped at 3/6. I've spent too much time and health clobbering everything to death and nothing has counted in a long rear end time. Tired of breaking out that level 1 poo poo sword as a level 87 and spending 10 minutes hacking things to death. Any solution to this?

I'm killing all sorts of enemies with it, not just molerats or fireflies, so it's not a duplicate level creature thing.

Only certain creatures count., but it definitely is a bit of a pain quest-wise, and remember you need to kill one of each type.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I've been comparing off/on with that page, it's just not counting kills anymore even over a variety of creatures.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mrenda posted:

I was making my way to Diamon City (I did that diner quest with the merchant's son) and as I was walking near a bridge some overheard lamp dropped a grenade on me, it seemed. Absolute bastard. I feel like the game is telling me to quicksave often.

Your index finger should always be reaching for the F5 key in a Bethesda game.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, I've been comparing off/on with that page, it's just not counting kills anymore even over a variety of creatures.

Are you switching weapons after the kill? IIRC there's something like a 5 second delay between kill and credit so if you switch to another weapon you won't get the credit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, I tend to kill everything else around so I don't have to switch weapons again after stabby time.

I'm just going to sideline the quest for now and see if it works after another update, I think. There's some weird poo poo right now where you can't go into vault tec university while on a team. Ahh, bethesda, never changes.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Oh, and psychojet!

Combine the two and you get longer duration damage buffing jet.

That stuff owns

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Mrenda posted:

Mrenda posted:

It's very useful to be looking around constantly in Fallout 4, both with VATS and with your scope. Super Mutants can sometimes have a missile launcher, which they'll usually miss you with at least once so you can hear the sound and paste the guy who has it. Power armored raiders and mercenaries can have access to a Fat Man, which, uh, hopefully same as regards the sound. Traps, even in the overworld, can often drop grenades on you or fire a missile launcher at you, so it's good to keep an eye out for tripwires. Mines generally show up in VATS to be shot as well.

The game is set up to autosave on map transitions and at certain intervals, but the timed autosave only fires when you open and close your Pipboy for some reason?

The Corvega plant is meant to feel like a stumbling block. It's basically a preview of shenanigans that only show up in later areas of the game - heavy verticality, spotlights you need to shoot out or you'll be an easy target, an internal space with multiple entrances and exits. If you aggro the plant exterior you'll deal with large numbers of weak enemies shooting at you from a (usually) long distance, so ideally you've got a scoped rifle to shoot back with or can run for a door while under fire. Inside the plant are various ambushes and explosives and more spotlight security, with the boss you need to kill in a control room over the main factory floor with cars still in the final stages of assembly. (the elevator should take you there, I think?) If you have the quest active and clear out enough of the raiders you should get red quest targets to take care of the last few, though that may not be as helpful when they're all indoors.

As far as the gunplay goes, a couple things. First, most guns have a maximum effective range. Inside VATS this is reflected by accuracy taking a nosedive; outside VATS while you can manually align the crosshairs you're not going to do as much damage. Usually a heavily scoped rifle will still be damage-effective at a distance where it stops being VATS-effective, though. Secondly, guns use different amounts of your VATS bar, usually more as they're higher-damage or effective from farther away. If you have an energy weapon that you want to use as a dedicated up-close tool, and you're not going to hyper-spec into rifles or something, you may want to make it a pistol grip so you can get a lot of VATS shots with it.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Use drugs.

You could blow your action points all on 4 shots, or snort jet and get 24 shots off in 2 seconds and still have APs

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

BrotherJayne posted:

Use drugs.

You could blow your action points all on 4 shots, or snort jet and get 24 shots off in 2 seconds and still have APs

Never not be using drugs.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I haven't played Fallout 76 since One Wasteland came out, just made a new character. Holy poo poo the Oblivion-style level scaling loving sucks. There's no challenge at all. I took my level 11 character to the Whitesprings and easily slaughtered a swarm of a dozen level 35 charred feral ghouls. I can kill a base full of level 40 Blood Eagles without stealth, just shooting them in the head with my wimpy pistol until they're all dead and I'm still alive. I assume this change came with One Wasteland?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yes it did. For the better and worse. This is the first time I've heard it could be bad. It's not like the game was actually hard before anyway.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Eh, 76 is easier but still easy to get overwhelmed alone. I've been running around in the chinese stealth armor with a bow since finishing the gold vault, only die when I find myself being chased by 6 of something. Not even a big deal anyhow, most of the time when I return for my dropped poo poo, all the remaining enemies have hosed off.

I still haven't bothered launching a nuke, but when I do it's going right on Monagah mine so I can finish that quest too. Been lazy because trying to nuke alone is going to take me an hour and I'm just not caring enough to commit. I don't have any power armor, either, just a few empty chassis in my inventory because stealth armor just makes it easy enough to do whatever you want.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I keep stealth armor in my inventory but I rarely wind up using it outside “emergencies” (when I’m fed up with a quest, out of ammo, and tired of retrieving my loot over and over). I have one piece of leg armor that turns me invisible when I stop moving which more or less serves the same purpose for me most of the time.

One perk/mutation/whatever it is I don’t understand at all is that one that turns you invisible when you take melee damage. Once you’re getting melee hit by an enemy don’t they already know where you are, invisible or not? Like if you pop on stealth armor mid combat they don’t lose track of you unless you break line of sight, and usually not even then, they just keep beating your invisible rear end. Does that perk/mutation (I can’t remember what it is sorry) work differently or is it straight up a gimmick?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I haven't done a melee build yet so I'm not sure. If I had that perk card, I scrapped it for perk coins to up a legendary card.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Eh, 76 is easier but still easy to get overwhelmed alone. I've been running around in the chinese stealth armor with a bow since finishing the gold vault, only die when I find myself being chased by 6 of something. Not even a big deal anyhow, most of the time when I return for my dropped poo poo, all the remaining enemies have hosed off.

I still haven't bothered launching a nuke, but when I do it's going right on Monagah mine so I can finish that quest too. Been lazy because trying to nuke alone is going to take me an hour and I'm just not caring enough to commit. I don't have any power armor, either, just a few empty chassis in my inventory because stealth armor just makes it easy enough to do whatever you want.

Please, make a video when you fight Earle in the stealth suit, that should be a hoot and a half. :)

On a more serious note, don't do that on your first run. Earle is, by far, the tankiest motherfucker in the game and the protection the CSS offers is not even remotely enough to deal with the poison and the falling embers in the mine.

TL;DR: You try, you die.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Mandrel posted:

I keep stealth armor in my inventory but I rarely wind up using it outside “emergencies” (when I’m fed up with a quest, out of ammo, and tired of retrieving my loot over and over). I have one piece of leg armor that turns me invisible when I stop moving which more or less serves the same purpose for me most of the time.

One perk/mutation/whatever it is I don’t understand at all is that one that turns you invisible when you take melee damage. Once you’re getting melee hit by an enemy don’t they already know where you are, invisible or not? Like if you pop on stealth armor mid combat they don’t lose track of you unless you break line of sight, and usually not even then, they just keep beating your invisible rear end. Does that perk/mutation (I can’t remember what it is sorry) work differently or is it straight up a gimmick?

That's Cloaking, it's a legendary armor modifier and it's description is misleading.
It does work but it only works on other human players, mobs are unaffected. In short, it's a PvP only modifier.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I think I hit the jackpot during the DOs today.

Can't wait for the perk loadout patch and give this beast a spin.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Sensenmann posted:

That's Cloaking, it's a legendary armor modifier and it's description is misleading.
It does work but it only works on other human players, mobs are unaffected. In short, it's a PvP only modifier.

ahhh that makes sense

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Sensenmann posted:

Please, make a video when you fight Earle in the stealth suit, that should be a hoot and a half. :)

On a more serious note, don't do that on your first run. Earle is, by far, the tankiest motherfucker in the game and the protection the CSS offers is not even remotely enough to deal with the poison and the falling embers in the mine.

TL;DR: You try, you die.

I don't make videos, not my thing, but there are videos of people soloing Earle in stealth armor, just have to walk in circles and stay crouched. Angry Turtle has a video on it on youtube.

I just haven't bothered with power armor at all this run and I'm happy without it for now. I'll need it to drop a nuke though.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't make videos, not my thing, but there are videos of people soloing Earle in stealth armor, just have to walk in circles and stay crouched. Angry Turtle has a video on it on youtube.

I just haven't bothered with power armor at all this run and I'm happy without it for now. I'll need it to drop a nuke though.

He, and everyone else I know, did it in Unyielding armor, not the CSS. There is a world of difference here and that was my point. The CSS is NOT a good choice for ACP.
Ironically, it is an excellent choice for running a silo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh, okay. I haven't gotten into all the bloodied or junkie stuff yet, or bothered with armor aside from the stealth armor. Watched more than a few videos that blur together too.

When I get around to dropping a nuke, I'll try Earle with the stealth suit immediately after. I've got poo poo to do today first, maybe this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I got in on an Earle fight last night with 6 others and there's no way in gently caress I'd solo that with stealth armor. Lol.

I started buying t65 armor yesterday. Gonna be a while before I piece it all together.