Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I can't imagine drinking water from Superior or any of them tbh. Didn't Lake Erie literally catch fire at least once?

It is interesting how the watersheds overlap, there isn't much the US could do to divert water from Canada, in fact they're actually doing the opposite with stuff like the unapproved Garrison Diversion

Superior's nice because it's deep and pretty far from big polluting cities. It also has more fresh water than the other four combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Mameluke posted:

See how literally nobody in Canadian media reacted to Kamala's oblique announcement that Canada is now on the Enemies List

I mean Trump called us a security threat as justification for the aluminium tariffs or whatever they were so we've been enemies of the USA for a few years now I guess.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Think that is more a reference to the position that Pakistan, India and China are going to be in (already have been for awhile now.)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

im pretty sure like 90% of the fresh potable water in this country is owned by nestle so this is a war we have already lost friend

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

DariusLikewise posted:

im pretty sure like 90% of the fresh potable water in this country is owned by nestle so this is a war we have already lost friend

This talking point segues nicely into "And these guys, they own all the air" - https://vitalityair.com/.

(Get your rear end to Mars!)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

DariusLikewise posted:

country is irredeemable

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Sassafras posted:

This talking point segues nicely into "And these guys, they own all the air" - https://vitalityair.com/.

(Get your rear end to Mars!)

sorry but mars is already claimed as elons salve colony, better aim for pluto?

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

DariusLikewise posted:

sorry but mars is already claimed as elons salve colony, better aim for pluto?

There's lots of moons we could inhabit, sure. Except Europa, because.. you know

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Ontario vaccine trip report:

My parents are over 60 so they went on the gov site to sign up for a vaccine and got told their appointment was the end of the month in a city an hour and a half away. My dad was confused and called the place where the appointment is (a pharmacy) and the pharmacist tells him not only do they have a ton of vaccines for some reason but to come in the next day at 8am instead of the end of the month because they have almost no appointments booked for the whole month.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Are there any actual studies yet about the effects of a delayed second dose? I'm not altogether surprised that they chose to go that way given they had no guarantee of supplying or administering the needed number of doses, but goddamn we are playing fast and loose with the science in a way that should be troubling to anyone

(we need to stick to the 3-week interval between shots as dictated by the companies who developed the vaccine instead of the 4-month interval determined by federal/provincial lack of supply)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
man these daily covid numbers in ontairo are really starting to spiral out of control

i was working around toronto today and I heard the edge radio station having some call in and bitch time or something and the amount of people that want to drop their kids off at school so they can do day drink on patios is insane

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

man these daily covid numbers in ontairo are really starting to spiral out of control

i was working around toronto today and I heard the edge radio station having some call in and bitch time or something and the amount of people that want to drop their kids off at school so they can do day drink on patios is insane

not sure why the strategy of "try to open things up the second infection rate dips even the slightest bit" backfired

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Yinlock posted:

not sure why the strategy of "try to open things up the second infection rate dips even the slightest bit" backfired

its what the loudest people want, we should have been in lockdown until around now and maybe the numbers would be in the low hundreds and we can kinda enjoy this nice and early spring

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man all that talk about how it doesn't spread in schools was clearly bullshit. Cases have done nothing but climb ever since they opened em up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Terror Sweat posted:

Man all that talk about how it doesn't spread in schools was clearly bullshit. Cases have done nothing but climb ever since they opened em up

quite literally. the data from september on shows school infection rates leading community infection rates perfectly

https://twitter.com/DGBassani/status/1377327782888415243

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

wow unskewing the polls but for covid

now ive seen everything!!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Are there any actual studies yet about the effects of a delayed second dose? I'm not altogether surprised that they chose to go that way given they had no guarantee of supplying or administering the needed number of doses, but goddamn we are playing fast and loose with the science in a way that should be troubling to anyone

(we need to stick to the 3-week interval between shots as dictated by the companies who developed the vaccine instead of the 4-month interval determined by federal/provincial lack of supply)

The 3 weeks between shots isn't so much dictated as it is what was studied, probably to speed up trials so the vaccines could be authorized sooner. We could quibble about the 4 months, but it's not scientifically unsound to spread first doses wider and delay second doses beyond three weeks.

That said, I don't know of any actual trials that intentionally delayed the second dose. Would've been smart to start one in January, as we'd have useful results by now!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Then in the interest of science and public health we are obligated to go with "the regimen that has actual, if limited data" as opposed to "making up new poo poo as we go along and not even recording the results"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the "gently caress it, we'll do it live" of medicine

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Then in the interest of science and public health we are obligated to go with "the regimen that has actual, if limited data" as opposed to "making up new poo poo as we go along and not even recording the results"

there's also the public health interest of fewer people getting sick from and dying of covid. delaying the second dose is not the ideal choice, but neither is sitting on stores of lifesaving medicine. pandemic means tradeoffs

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

pokeyman posted:

there's also the public health interest of fewer people getting sick from and dying of covid. delaying the second dose is not the ideal choice, but neither is sitting on stores of lifesaving medicine. pandemic means tradeoffs

Yeah I'm ready to trade me taking an afternoon off work for John Horgan to give me my loving vaccine!!!!!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
if we had shutdown properly a year ago we'd be vacationing in Australia and New Zealand right now

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Terror Sweat posted:

i made an info-graphic

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I can't imagine drinking water from Superior or any of them tbh. Didn't Lake Erie literally catch fire at least once?

It is interesting how the watersheds overlap, there isn't much the US could do to divert water from Canada, in fact they're actually doing the opposite with stuff like the unapproved Garrison Diversion

our (treated) water comes from huron and it's great

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMemKsAbR/

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

lmao

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

No loving poo poo. Everyone on the loving planet knew upper respiratory diseases spread like crazy in schools until March 2020, when apparently by coincidence 90% of people forgot, including everyone who has any control over schools.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

pokeyman posted:

there's also the public health interest of fewer people getting sick from and dying of covid.

Yeah, and you do that by following the prescribed scheduling to provide the greatest efficacy to prevent them from getting sick and dying

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Yeah, and you do that by following the prescribed scheduling to provide the greatest efficacy to prevent them from getting sick and dying

it's not the prescribed schedule, it's the tested schedule. we had good reason to believe one dose keeps people out of the hospital or grave after just two weeks, and there's no reason to think there's anything special about three weeks. you can reach twice as many people with the same limited supply of vaccine. it's a no-brainer to try

is there a chance that three weeks is good but four, five, six weeks is somehow bad? maybe, and ideally we'd have started new trials right after the initial trials so we could find out. but we missed the boat on that, so we took a small gamble, and it's paid off handsomely

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Has it paid off handsomely though? Think you're going to have to show your work here. Things are preatty poo poo.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
It has for the UK, hasn't it? They went with the prioritize the first dose strategy and they mostly avoided this wave.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

enki42 posted:

It has for the UK, hasn't it? They went with the prioritize the first dose strategy and they mostly avoided this wave.

It does seem to be working there, but they're primarily using AstraZeneca, not pfizer like we are.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Sure, but both are two-dose regimens and preliminary data seems to show that one dose of Pfizer is effective (potentially as much as a two-dost AZ regimen).

It's for sure a gamble, but I feel like everyone clamoring for using the 3-week schedule also assumes that we magically have twice as much vaccines. If we were still holding shots and sticking to 3 weeks we'd probably still be vaccinating 75+.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

enki42 posted:

It's getting more and more difficult to make apples-to-apples comparisons with other countries now that the variants are becoming more diverse. The UK has successfully seen off a third wave through delayed mostly-AZ vaccination, dealing with the UK variant of the virus. We are currently experimenting to see if that works with delayed mostly-Pfizer vaccination, dealing with a mix of the UK and Brazilian variants. We shouldn't just assume their strategy is going to work against our current situation the way we might have been able to if we were using the same vaccine and facing the same virus. I hope it does! But I'm also mentally preparing myself in case it turns out that this just means we end up with a dominant viral strain that's more resistant to the partial protection offered by a single vaccine dose.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Does it count as UK avoiding the third wave if the variant (B117) that comprises our third wave originated there and already worked its way through the population starting in December with 1K deaths per day?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Does it count as UK avoiding the third wave if the variant (B117) that comprises our third wave originated there and already worked its way through the population starting in December with 1K deaths per day?

Herd immunity doesn't work this way.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Another Bill posted:

Herd immunity doesn't work

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

vyelkin posted:

It's getting more and more difficult to make apples-to-apples comparisons with other countries now that the variants are becoming more diverse. The UK has successfully seen off a third wave through delayed mostly-AZ vaccination, dealing with the UK variant of the virus. We are currently experimenting to see if that works with delayed mostly-Pfizer vaccination, dealing with a mix of the UK and Brazilian variants. We shouldn't just assume their strategy is going to work against our current situation the way we might have been able to if we were using the same vaccine and facing the same virus. I hope it does! But I'm also mentally preparing myself in case it turns out that this just means we end up with a dominant viral strain that's more resistant to the partial protection offered by a single vaccine dose.

The UK also did a full prolonged lockdown, and then kept business closed for a few weeks as they opened schools.

They are being very proactive about testing too. They send at home rapid tests to each household with school aged kids with enough tests for two tests per household member per week. They have recently expanded this program to anyone in the UK. This is a huge step for breaking chains of transmission since rapid tests are able to detect the virus before symptom onset.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

enki42 posted:

It's for sure a gamble, but I feel like everyone clamoring for using the 3-week schedule also assumes that we magically have twice as much vaccines. If we were still holding shots and sticking to 3 weeks we'd probably still be vaccinating 75+.

:nallears: except the rollout hasn't gone any faster with people's second doses in freezers being turned into someone else's first dose. I get that psychologically there's a lot of power in the idea of getting definitively jabbed (woohoo! I'm safe!) but they are literally, explicitly NOT "one-and-done" vaccines like our policymakers (not even our medical experts) are pretending they are.

And how you spin out a limited supply is through a system of tiers and appointments, but we would actually have to follow that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

:nallears: except the rollout hasn't gone any faster with people's second doses in freezers being turned into someone else's first dose. I get that psychologically there's a lot of power in the idea of getting definitively jabbed (woohoo! I'm safe!) but they are literally, explicitly NOT "one-and-done" vaccines like our policymakers (not even our medical experts) are pretending they are.

And how you spin out a limited supply is through a system of tiers and appointments, but we would actually have to follow that.

It's obviously gone faster, just by the fact that most provinces are getting through their vaccines (the "millions of doses sitting around" stuff you hear is usually due to it being a day after a huge shipment or something, pretty much everyone is burning through their supply in roughly a week). The rollout of at least one dose to the population is obviously going to take twice as long if your supply is fixed and you're using it all if you're only giving one dose at first vs. two.

From an individual perspective it's obviously better to get two doses, but I'm not convinced that it's not better from a public health perspective to get everyone 60% protected vs. 50% of people 90% protected. Yeah, there will be breakout cases with one dose, but I bet there's more cases when half of the population is completely unvaccinated and half are fully vaccinated.