Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

how high does the MH skill floor go? i get the impression that i can play most of the game by sucking and just upgrading my weapons/armor as I go. i'm sure there's end-game quests that require max-level gear and perfect execution, but from what i'm reading, it seems like you can get away with sloppy execution by just killing easier monsters and upgrading your stuff. is that right?
Eventually the gear you want will require parts you can't get from the easier monsters you can kill, you'll have to tackle the harder ones sooner or later. Grouping up for the fights you can't handle solo is the "cheese" solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

how high does the MH skill floor go? i get the impression that i can play most of the game by sucking and just upgrading my weapons/armor as I go. i'm sure there's end-game quests that require max-level gear and perfect execution, but from what i'm reading, it seems like you can get away with sloppy execution by just killing easier monsters and upgrading your stuff. is that right?
There's a gear reset at a certain point so you can't drag all your low rank stuff into high rank, but yes monhan is not a very hard game and you can gear into making it even easier. Very rarely do they ever get that demanding at the high end really, but Rise especially not because it shipped kind of unfinished and they'll be patching higher end quests in later.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Huxley posted:

Getting tail-slapped into a loading screen in old MH was often the thing that ended up keeping you alive. You learned to appreciate it and eventually leverage it to your advantage.

This sounds like it sucks

I got in a slapfight on some discord channel because I compared 3DS MH to Atari in that people enjoyed it because it was exceptional and novel within the technological constraints of the time. I believe that more than ever w.r.t. MH, I picked up Generations on 3DS after I got into World and was gobsmacked by how many loading screens there were in a typical hunt

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sweet that's what i thought, thanks yall!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Not a Children posted:

I got in a slapfight on some discord channel because I compared 3DS MH to Atari in that people enjoyed it because it was exceptional and novel within the technological constraints of the time. I believe that more than ever w.r.t. MH, I picked up Generations on 3DS after I got into World and was gobsmacked by how many loading screens there were in a typical hunt

I mean if anything World had more downtime than the 3ds games did, it just replaced the 2 second loading screens with 15 seconds of running down a hallway

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Yeah but on a New 3DS or in the Switch version they're so fast its just a formality. And also yeah to the guy above, they replaced the zone lines with just a lot more running around between areas.

Hard zone lines were good because it gave discrete boundaries to the action, if the monster is in zone 6 he is in zone 6 until he decides to move on, and you were beholden to all the obstacles and difficulties of that zone, but also if you slipped out (or the monster knocked you across the line) you were perfectly safe to take care of whatever you need to do which is why a big strategy was to fight on the zone line so you'd intentionally get knocked through it if poo poo went bad. World and Rise are a little less discrete and a whole lot fuzzier because now if you try to duck out the monster is perfectly capable and usually willing to chase you into another area, which also makes the distinctions between zones a little less meaningful. In a game that is otherwise full of extremely and proudly discrete video game logic, its a little bit of realism that doesn't necessarily make the game better

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hi! I'm the guy who's certain about that.

Doom 1:

Doom 2:

Why doesn't Doom 3 have them! :argh:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

speaking as someone who's played maybe 1 hour of monster hunter total and none in the last few years, the discrete zones with loading between them were dumb and annoying. farewell

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

b_d posted:

speaking as someone who's played maybe 1 hour of video games total and none in the last few years, the discrete zones with loading between them were dumb and annoying. farewell

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

b_d posted:

speaking as someone who's played maybe 1 hour of monster hunter total and none in the last few years, the discrete zones with loading between them were dumb and annoying. farewell

The loading screens were fine. The way that people who never played old monster hunter act like replacing them with hallways (while leaving the overall structure of the map and the way monsters move around completely unchanged) was an amazing revolution that made the old games unplayable is the annoying part.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Monster Hunter Rise is good, it is fun to play, it is about a 3.5-4/10 on the Confusing As poo poo scale, and as you become more comfortable with how the weapons work you start to see Big Yellow Numbers appear after you hit the the monsters and to be honest, that's what gaming is all about folks

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Mh does this but so did story of seasons: having to press a button to enter/exit areas. Wtf let me just walk

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Got my Satisfye grip! Normally don't play handheld but I'm going to do a quick hunt and bonk some dinosaurs and see how it feels. Should I bother with these thumbstick cover thingies?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i've been in the satisfye train for quite some time but the thumb stick covers never did it for me

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Muscle Tracer posted:

On the difficulty conversation, I think it helps to think of it less as a "difficulty level" and more as a "game mode." Caves of Qud is introducing a mode called "Wander" that makes wildlife less hostile (easier) but removes XP from killing (harder), instead buffing XP earned from discovering things (easier). This gives a lot more flexibility than "difficulty" which often boils down to raising/lowering damage received/dealt, and makes it more explicit which mode is the "intended" experience. Sekiro effectively has this with Kuro's Charm, but it's an esoteric in-game choice rather than an explicit mode, and it's just a way of making it harder rather than easier. They could just as easily have included a mode with, say, more forgiving parry timings, that wouldn't have the same atmospheric effect as just making enemies die easier and do less damage.

The other thing is that "artistic vision" really only matters as it's experienced by players. What is masochistic-but-achievable for one person will be piss-easy for another, and totally impossible for a third, so if you really want everyone to experience the game the same way, you have to make the game adjustable.

Wait is this coming to Switch? I've followed Brian Buckelew for a while on Twitter and he seems like a cool guy and the commentary I've seen about the game is always interesting.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Mh does this but so did story of seasons: having to press a button to enter/exit areas. Wtf let me just walk

Hold select to open a fast travel menu

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

i've been in the satisfye train for quite some time but the thumb stick covers never did it for me

Just tried them and yeah no thanks. The grip itself was great though, good buy.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wait is this coming to Switch? I've followed Brian Buckelew for a while on Twitter and he seems like a cool guy and the commentary I've seen about the game is always interesting.

As neat as that would be I don't think he has the resources to try and convert it to a controller interface. It has partial controller support and he's always looking for feedback but the type of person to get into a meaty rogue like such as Qud, doesn't like playing on controller.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wamdoodle posted:

As neat as that would be I don't think he has the resources to try and convert it to a controller interface. It has partial controller support and he's always looking for feedback but the type of person to get into a meaty rogue like such as Qud, doesn't like playing on controller.

I would do it for Qud. It's that good that everyone should play it, no matter what.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

lol am I correct in understanding the most interesting new switch game to come out any time recently is Pacman 99?

(I'm bored and just impatient for Pokemon Snap to get released already)

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

There's Monster Hunter: Rise, but if you aren't into that then yeah there's been pretty much nothing for a long time now.

Oh yeah, Gnosia was pretty good too.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mario 3d World is cool, nothing earth-shattering but it's worth the price of admission

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

TheManWithNoName posted:

Nice! What color did you get?
Just the plain grey.

These bottom buttons are real easy to accidentally hit I'm not sure that's gonna go well if I set them to do something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

El Mero Mero posted:

lol am I correct in understanding the most interesting new switch game to come out any time recently is Pacman 99?

Who told you that?

They lied.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I don't really have anything to contribute to the loading screen talk besides posting my favorite MonHun gif of all time

there. also it would be nice if the games had a movelist menu with picture-in-picture videos of the moves being executed, the way DMC V does it. besides that I can't think of any obvious ways to make it more accessible to people. maybe having prologue setpieces that convey the main thrust of the game correctly?

El Mero Mero posted:

we had a long good while of Hades being the flavor of the month. we also had Shiren, Anodyne 2 and the DLC for CrossCode. those were all low-profile, but excellent.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
oh yeah that Hades era was excellent that was all I played for a month straight

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I finished Tick Tock Clock in SM64. That stage was brutal. Only Rainbow Ride and the final Bowser stage left...

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The immediate future sure looks bleak as hell though, we have...what, Mario Golf? And Skyward Sword which I guess is exciting for those of us that didn't play it before but still, c'mon Nintendo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The immediate future sure looks bleak as hell though, we have...what, Mario Golf? And Skyward Sword which I guess is exciting for those of us that didn't play it before but still, c'mon Nintendo

New Pokemon Snap on April 30th.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Just the plain grey.

These bottom buttons are real easy to accidentally hit I'm not sure that's gonna go well if I set them to do something.

Do they not require much force to click? If you're holding the controller normally, can your fingers rest on them or will a slight grip accidentally trigger them?

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

I've been playing more Story of Seasons this past week, almost at the end of year 1 now, so here's a bunch of words on it:

The main issue I have with the game is that it has a lot of the same mechanics as Stardew Valley, but it's in very sluggish 3D that struggles to keep up with the amount of objects on screen. They've released a patch that improves load times somewhat, but there's still stuttering and pop-in while moving around in your farm. Stuff that wasn't that much of a hassle in SV, like maker machines that only make one product at a time, is much more awkward in SOS when the machines take up much more space and take longer to load and unload each one. Considering that SOS has over 20 different types of makers, and a lot of different tasks require producing a large batch of a certain product, at times it feels like playing factorio with zero automation.
Some limitations are just tedious grinding. I got far enough to start setting up sprinklers and seed makers, except the seed maker takes 23 hours to make 2 seeds. So, fine, I guess I'm making a bunch of seed makers and waiting a day if I want to work on raising the star rank of my crops. Looks like I need orichalcum to repair this building. Where do you get orichalcum? Oh, at the bottom of the 3rd mine, that spawns enough ore per trip to make maybe 2-3 bars. How many does the building need? Oh, 50? And I need another 5 per tool I want to upgrade?
I mean, it's not a *bad* game, there is a large variety of things to do and quests to complete. There's a lot of customization options for your player character, clothing, furniture, pets, horses. I haven't interacted with the NPC's or marriage a whole lot but they seem ok. The events I've seen have been fun.
Apparently there will be a patch coming out in the future to improve the makers, so it seems the developers are listening to feedback. There's content updates scheduled for the coming months so that should be interesting to see.
I'm reaching endgame content where I am right now, so things have slowed down as there's fewer things left to unlock and they're much more time consuming to finish. In most farming sim games I find the first year to be the most enjoyable when you're clearing space, planning your farm layout and setting up all your fields and buildings, and once that's done I lose interest in waiting it out for the endgame stuff since I'm just running maintenance on everything. Outside of starting over and trying a different approach I'm not that interested in continuing to play much past the first year.
The game is bigger than I took it for initially, but it still has issues. Sprite based farming games like Stardew are so much faster and more responsive, and Story of Seasons feels cumbersome in comparison. Decent game but falls short of the competition.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i just wanted an excuse to post that

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i kind of want a marble madness 99...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

i kind of want a marble madness 99...

Balls-balls-balls of steeel

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Monkey Ball 99

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Bumper Balls 99

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

ErrEff posted:

Do they not require much force to click? If you're holding the controller normally, can your fingers rest on them or will a slight grip accidentally trigger them?
They feel real easy to click, but I haven't had time to use it much tonight. Maybe it's not actually an issue. You can rest your fingers on them but it feels like a little twitch will press them. I tend to get a death grip on controllers playing some games so that could be bad for me.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

American McGay posted:

I just did a quick scan of the ShadowCast page and it looks like it does basically everything you'd need. Depending on how the ShadowCast reports itself to your computer though there might be a problem where OBS wouldn't recognize it as a valid input source. In that case you could probably just do a desktop/window capture on the ShadowCast window itself and it would work but might introduce a bit of lag and/or quality hit if you care about that sort of thing.

Yeah, I think I may end up just selling the 60S+ or at least moving it to a miscellaneous drawer. It's a cool little thing, but not really useful for me with a ShadowCast.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Who told you that?

They lied.

*looks at last 100 pages of switch thread* :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

the biology lectures on whales (and the chapters dedicated to explaining whaling in general) are really cool tho

i like to learn

Moby Dick is one of my favorite books for this poo poo. It's just all-encompassing and it still boggles my mind that at one point people we're actively going to sea to hunt creatures larger than their boats.

The original Monster Hunter if you will.