Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freelancepolice
Apr 8, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they formalized cutting the actual patch a month before release and are actually currently working on the post patch patch right now

lol

I mean, if you're not beta testing - that's sensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, then I stand corrected. Sorry, marketing department! :blush:
Fight fight fight fight fight

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I know the vast majority of the mods are going to blow up in the new patch, but I really hope some of the #Modjam2020 stuff survives. I've really enjoyed a few of those origins in my recent playthroughs. Going all Homeworld with the Juggernaut start has been super fun, even if suddenly gifting me 50 naked corvettes did not do well for my energy incomes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Crazy Ferret posted:

I know the vast majority of the mods are going to blow up in the new patch, but I really hope some of the #Modjam2020 stuff survives. I've really enjoyed a few of those origins in my recent playthroughs. Going all Homeworld with the Juggernaut start has been super fun, even if suddenly gifting me 50 naked corvettes did not do well for my energy incomes.

On a similar note, I wish integrating vassals was a more gradual process instead of just immediately gobbling up an empire after that last day rolls over. My economy takes a nosedive while I unfuck several planets and begin panic-building anchorages/strongholds/admin buildings to accomodate all of the fleets and sprawl.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Is there any more indepth stuff with the patch wrt pop growth curves and management? All the words seem very good along with the outliner stuff in making the game sound more playable and even manageable without mods.

Honestly to me that is the most important part of the update.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The actual mod page for carrying capacity gives an explanation of what it does and how it works, including the math and a chart. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1922397818

I want to hope that Paradox is going to copy/paste this mod into the game, but if they poo poo the bed (highly likely) the actual mod itself will still be a must-have.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
one of the espionage operations has been revealed

2000 credits to destroy one random building or module (excluding shipyards) on a particular starbase

destroy one module or terraform a planet? :thunk:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Horizon Burning posted:

one of the espionage operations has been revealed

2000 credits to destroy one random building or module (excluding shipyards) on a particular starbase

destroy one module or terraform a planet? :thunk:
I've been following the thread again after a friend told me about the big patch coming up. If they have espionage things that are that powerful actually cost that much... I might actually like it, because it means it will be hard for the AI to do it to me.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I've been following the thread again after a friend told me about the big patch coming up. If they have espionage things that are that powerful actually cost that much... I might actually like it, because it means it will be hard for the AI to do it to me.
Or the AI will spam espionage, leaving its space littered with sub-optimal planets.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Or the AI will spam espionage, leaving its space littered with sub-optimal planets.

It will be this.

every 4x style espionage system just an insane AI mashing the "blow up something random" button. Which would be good for Saudi Intelligence Simulator 3000 but not sure why it's in everything else

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh joy. More micromanagement... Destroying random stuff you then have to manually rebuild is one of most tedious espionage crap to deal with. It doesn't bother the AI at all but for a human player it's just frustrating and not fun in any way. Will they have an assassinate leader option too?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Poil posted:

Oh joy. More micromanagement... Destroying random stuff you then have to manually rebuild is one of most tedious espionage crap to deal with. It doesn't bother the AI at all but for a human player it's just frustrating and not fun in any way. Will they have an assassinate leader option too?

They said that assassinating leaders is not a thing in the stream.

Also pop micro should be heavily reduced with the new economy, since most of that is resettlement and you can pre-build city districts to pre-build buildings now.

The Starbase thing is annoying but it'll tell you when it happens so you can just rebuild it immediatedly. It's just like a module or two so... probably not nearly as annoying as the EU4 spy system is.

The Privateers, if anything, are gonna be the annoying part. But the things have a cooldown and a good cost attached, so...

I think you can also actually defend yourself from spies better than you can in other games? With the encryption and such.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 13, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Poil posted:

Didn't this used to be a way to just turn off a starbase rather than blow bits of it up? This is such a non-issue to deal with from a resource management point of view but a huge pain from a player attention point of view.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The starbase thing looks like a total waste of time; even destroying a single module on a bastion wouldn't weaken it enough to make it worth investing time and effort. Not that you'll be able to choose the starbase either. It just looks like an annoying click tax when the AI spams you with it.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I mean to some extent, depending on the severity of the operations, defense is just an "avoid micro" tax. You can defend, but is investing in defense actually cheaper than just having the attacks happen and then rebuilding? At least for stuff like break a module/building, which does not have a huge immediate impact.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Eh, I'm more concerned about steal technology, spawn privateers and the whole crisis beacon thing. For that you'll proooobably want defense :v:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Speaking of Stellaris expansion packs, I just remembered that I have a spare key for MegaCorp since I'm getting senile in my old age and pre-ordered it twice back in the good old days of 2018. So if someone who doesn't have MegaCorp already wants it I'll PM or mail the first person to claim it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Man so they've talked about doing a spying to a hive mind but what about if they do it to you. Like imagine a terravore. Just "Hello organic individual. Me am normal rock. Please to be talking about secret information."

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Spanish Matlock posted:

Man so they've talked about doing a spying to a hive mind but what about if they do it to you. Like imagine a terravore. Just "Hello organic individual. Me am normal rock. Please to be talking about secret information."

I figure it'd be a lot easier for a hivemind to pretend to be an individual than it is for an individual to be part of the hivemind :v:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Aethernet posted:

The starbase thing looks like a total waste of time; even destroying a single module on a bastion wouldn't weaken it enough to make it worth investing time and effort. Not that you'll be able to choose the starbase either. It just looks like an annoying click tax when the AI spams you with it.

Trying to think of the most effective module to destroy on a starbase - maybe something like one of the inhibitor-type things that lower your shield HP by 20%? I guess that'd be worth 2000 energy if you have an attack planned to arrive and are expecting a tough fight.

Edit: Oh wait, a random module on a starbase? That's useless.

Edit2: The devs have recently added "There may be additional things that can happen if you assign an appropriate Asset to the operation. The tooltip lists the baseline effects." so maybe there's more to this than first appears

Gort fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 13, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yami Fenrir posted:

I figure it'd be a lot easier for a hivemind to pretend to be an individual than it is for an individual to be part of the hivemind :v:

I liked this one event they showed where an infiltration team on a hivemind planet has to fight feral drones

It showed the solution can easily be "the team uses tech gimmicks to shield themselves from the hivemind and then go on to become actors in Monster Hunter: SF Devision"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spanish Matlock posted:

Hive mind: I don't remember leaving a rock there. Eh, forget my own heads next

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The impression I got a while back, and I'd love for lordmune to confirm/deny but get why he probably can't, was that you'd do missions to do cool stuff like copy techs, disable a starbase etc. but if it all goes south you basically get a pyrrhic "kick a few things on the way out the door" option.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Does lordmune still post here? Unless he returned since, he was moved to CK3 before I left (late 2019!). Of course, I haven't checked this thread in like a year so I might be completely misinformed, but I don't think there's a Stellaris goon anymore.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Darkrenown posted:

Does lordmune still post here? Unless he returned since, he was moved to CK3 before I left (late 2019!). Of course, I haven't checked this thread in like a year so I might be completely misinformed, but I don't think there's a Stellaris goon anymore.

Yeah, he posted in here about a month ago. I think he's working on Victoria 3 now though

In other news holy poo poo, SA actually has a working search function now

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Spanish Matlock posted:

Genestealers say hi.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Splicer posted:

The impression I got a while back, and I'd love for lordmune to confirm/deny but get why he probably can't, was that you'd do missions to do cool stuff like copy techs, disable a starbase etc. but if it all goes south you basically get a pyrrhic "kick a few things on the way out the door" option.

i hope so, because paying 2000 credits to blow up a single building is so pointless that i can't imagine why anyone would ever bother.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yami Fenrir posted:

Eh, I'm more concerned about steal technology, spawn privateers and the whole crisis beacon thing. For that you'll proooobably want defense :v:
Holy gently caress they're adding a way to spawn privateers? I guess I'm modding that out before I ever launch the game, if I ever get to that point. Pirates spawning in your backfield is already the most loving annoying thing in the world so I cant believe that they doubled down on having new mays to allow it to happen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

i hope so, because paying 2000 credits to blow up a single building is so pointless that i can't imagine why anyone would ever bother.

maybe early game, but during end game i often get 2k credits per month, and all planets are already terraformed, so i can just spend my terraforming budget on blowing up buildings each month

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Holy gently caress they're adding a way to spawn privateers? I guess I'm modding that out before I ever launch the game, if I ever get to that point. Pirates spawning in your backfield is already the most loving annoying thing in the world so I cant believe that they doubled down on having new mays to allow it to happen.

I can't imagine I'd ever go through the trouble of modding it out rather than setting a single cruiser to zip back and forth between different ends of my empire.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Libluini posted:

maybe early game, but during end game i often get 2k credits per month, and all planets are already terraformed, so i can just spend my terraforming budget on blowing up buildings each month

i guess, but by that time your opponent probably has enough resources to just repair them every month. losing one anchorage or something at the point in the game where you have a hundred of them doesn't seem like a good use of anyone's time. who knows, maybe the chances for further damage that come up in the event will make it worthwhile, though.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah it seems like a really questionable decision.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Espionage is the one feature in Stellaris I never asked for so hopefully there's a mod to just disable it after a bit. In any 4X game I've played it's just an annoying micromanagement tax, either it's pointless or the AI uses it to turbo grief me.

I wonder if Stellaris will have the incredible feature from Civ games where if the AI catches you spying it will salt your fields and slaughter your children, but if you catch them spying on you they tell you to get over it, you petulant child, you cretin, you oaf...

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I like the two games with espionage that doesn't suck, and in the others I enjoy the absurdity of the AI using it instead of winning the game for a while then I turn it off. Leaning towards "well this is dull" so far on the stellaris spy stuff. The darloks would be appalled.

Spawning privateers if sufficiently powerful fleets might be cool.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Anias posted:

I like the two games with espionage that doesn't suck, and in the others I enjoy the absurdity of the AI using it instead of winning the game for a while then I turn it off. Leaning towards "well this is dull" so far on the stellaris spy stuff. The darloks would be appalled.

Spawning privateers if sufficiently powerful fleets might be cool.

hell no.

Sufficiently powerful fleets means that you'll have to deal with them because there's always more AI's/other players than you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Spanish Matlock posted:

I can't imagine I'd ever go through the trouble of modding it out rather than setting a single cruiser to zip back and forth between different ends of my empire.
This never works. And is itself annoying as gently caress when the patrol fleet gets killed when you end up at war or something. Its an annoying attention tax that has no tangible effect on the AI. Trade power passing through a system generating "Piracy" which "builds up over time" causing bloodthirsty fleets of genocidal ships to spawn that go on a descructive rampage, then sit there waiting to die isnt motherfucking "piracy". It never should have been a thing and should have been removed by now. It forces you to either micromanage patrol fleets or daisychain your starbases across the galaxy just to avoid the stupid mechanic.

All that being said, how do you know that one cruiser on patrol would prevent the privateers being spawned by spy actions? Its a loving mindnumbingly stupid decision to have spies be able to spawn privateers.

I'm never giving Paradox another penny for anything Stellaris related.

edit: Is this patch fixing ground combat? How about factions? You know... the poo poo that has been literally broken and lovely since the game launched like 7 years ago now.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pirates are always considerably weaker than your military at any given point in the game. A handful of ships can wipe them out easily. I mostly play multiplayer so this all seems pretty rad to me. I look forward to being able to throw some trouble into other people's wars.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HiKaizer posted:

Espionage is the one feature in Stellaris I never asked for so hopefully there's a mod to just disable it after a bit. In any 4X game I've played it's just an annoying micromanagement tax, either it's pointless or the AI uses it to turbo grief me.

I wonder if Stellaris will have the incredible feature from Civ games where if the AI catches you spying it will salt your fields and slaughter your children, but if you catch them spying on you they tell you to get over it, you petulant child, you cretin, you oaf...

The only thing annoying me in space game espionage was the ability to gain planets through subterfuge because yes, the AI would gleefully take planets from me, or force them into rebellion when not stealing them outright.

But it looks like Stellaris doesn't go down that route, so only tech stealing remains. But uh oh, I can just cast Ascension: Enigmaticatism and suddenly, I'm immune, but the AI isn't! Sounds the kind of cheesy fun I love. :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Spanish Matlock posted:

Pirates are always considerably weaker than your military at any given point in the game. A handful of ships can wipe them out easily. I mostly play multiplayer so this all seems pretty rad to me. I look forward to being able to throw some trouble into other people's wars.
This doesnt address anything I said. Its a stupid mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

This doesnt address anything I said. Its a stupid mechanic.

I don't think that a cruiser will prevent pirates being spawned by spy actions I think it'll probably be enough to kill them though. Maybe throw a corvette and a destroyer on there. I mean is it really super hard to tag a ship and say 'patrol here'?

Like if you're past the initial mistake of just never building ships piracy is pretty easy to deal with.