Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Spoondick posted:

cool cool cool no big deal

just currently scheduled to do hundreds of j&j shots this week and next week and we're not set up for the other vaccines

just give them saline instead and pray to placebus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

who care who dies, open her up !!!- liberals 2021

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

i wonder how much of the rest of the world's vaccine needs, including their full supply chains of all necessary resources like needles, vials, etc., depend on India operating at 100% normal production capacity. and how much of that instantly falls apart as India locks down directly or indirectly from a massive Brazil-like crisis

Probably about the same as how the US went with IV bags after Puerto Rico got nailed by hurricanes and it turned out that was where a huge chunk of our supply came from

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Wamsutta posted:

my sister was scheduled to get the JNJ today in PA and noped out, she's gonna get Pfizer 1 next week instead

yep. feeling real glad I kept looking for better options even after I had secured a jnj shot for my wife and I. As soon as I saw the walmart Moderna slots available i grabbed that poo poo.

yeah it may be super rare, but if my wife had gotten the jnj I’d probably not sleep for the next two weeks out of anxiety.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

euphronius posted:

who care who dies, open her up !!!- liberals 2021

well they did promise to reach across the aisle

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

he's not wrong, fauci disregarded internal guidance on how to address the pandemic

you're supposed to be honest, give all the details and treat people like adults but he slow walked everything, gave changing advice and lied to make things seem better

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Cloks posted:

he's not wrong, fauci disregarded internal guidance on how to address the pandemic

you're supposed to be honest, give all the details and treat people like adults but he slow walked everything, gave changing advice and lied to make things seem better
that's all well and good but that's absolutely not what Nate is saying here

it's 100% "listen to me when I say OPENRRRUP"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/SSKedreporter/status/1381944719723347968

Last year the city didn't hire most of the contact tracers til labor day , good to see they're still incompetent due to some sort of patronage roadblock

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Grey Fox posted:

that's all well and good but that's absolutely not what Nate is saying here

it's 100% "listen to me when I say OPENRRRUP"

oh yeah, he's wrong about what he's talking about

i don't know why people listen to him

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Cloks posted:

He's right on public health messaging being terrible, he's 100% wrong on the solution.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Oh wow
That's a pretty drastic step

:lol: J&J, yes more tears

Lmao wasn't this the same issue the AZ/University of Oxford had for some rare blood clotting issues due to the vaccine?

For my "Vaccine Shopping" using tools like CVS / Vaccine Spotter . org I decided to go with the Pfizer vaccine.

Sleepy Joe was also depending on J+J for the whole July 4 back to the New Normal since J+J was supposed to ship 100 million doses by then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just realized Nate doesn’t care about jj because only women are dying

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lord of Pie posted:

Probably about the same as how the US went with IV bags after Puerto Rico got nailed by hurricanes and it turned out that was where a huge chunk of our supply came from

Also all the production was over in Puerto Rico due to all the tax breaks.

Capitalism working as intended!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
kartoffelpuffer

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ricecult posted:

Several larger cities like Lagos have tremendously large and dense populations of people who live in poverty (few ways to socially distance, need to keep working). Depends on the country, but many African governments are notoriously inept and/or corrupt and incapable or unwilling to provide assistance to the worst off, and no way of providing accurate numbers. I remember last year there were reports of people acknowledging widespread covid deaths despite official numbers being incredibly low.

But then you have places like Rwanda who had more contact tracers than the US despite being exponentially smaller, and the Gold Coast constant struggle with Ebola crwating a foundation for fast action for a pandemic.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Dang sorry everyone, we here at the CDC and FDA are just neutral public health bureaucrats (except for all that openly political stuff that was on TV last year and all the political/pharma influence on regulation and availability that everyone's known about for decades).

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

love that the only reputable vaccines are now the mRNAs which are copyrighted to two companies

shareholders gonna make mad bank off of society collapsing

oh also India is about to fall apart so goodbye mRNA vaccines too

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Iron Crowned posted:

kartoffelpuffer

Why are you writing the danish word for "potato pusher"?

Edit: "potato nudger" might capture the translation better.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Apr 13, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

my covid pod was planning a trip to WI in august to a cabin and i suggested we hold of a couple weeks to put down a large nonrefundable deposit since MI is getting really, really, bad. i was told "you don't have to drive through MI to get to WI" and was linked a NPR article about how being vaccinated against variants is just fine

the group chat has gone silent since i pointed out the NPR article admits we have no idea how vaccines stack up against the Brazil variant and asked why thinking things might get bad again is crazier than covid respects state borders

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the blood clot thing a meaningful risk for people taking the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, or is the recommended "pause" meant to give some time to see if more people suffer from the blood clot thing? The odds so far don't seem that much worse than other kinds of rare vaccine injury that people generally accept, but if there are 50% more people set to get the vaccine in the next week or something, I understand why they'd want to see how common those effects actually are.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
About 18 hours out from my second moderna dose, I feel like I walked there and back to get it and my victory tacos may have been a mistake, but all in all pretty minimal side effects so far. Definitely more noticeable soreness than from dose one though.

Now who wants to get slutty with me?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is the blood clot thing a meaningful risk for people taking the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, or is the recommended "pause" meant to give some time to see if more people suffer from the blood clot thing? The odds so far don't seem that much worse than other kinds of rare vaccine injury that people generally accept, but if there are 50% more people set to get the vaccine in the next week or something, I understand why they'd want to see how common those effects actually are.

probably the latter.

I suspect that had J&J been the only vaccine available they wouldn't have paused distribution. the existence of the mRNA vaxes which we know work fantastically and don't have the clotting issue makes stopping J&J easier to justify.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pingui posted:

It's written on the box of German potato pancakes that my roommate is making at the moment, and has become my new favorite German word until I forget it in a couple of days

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I expect they’ll say “this vaccine is contraindicated in people (or maybe just women) under sixty (or fifty) years of age” and move on with it.

As for if the risk is meaningful, it could be ten times worse and I’d still take it because that’s still way better than the risk of COVID. If it were the only vaccine available, I would at least consider it at a hundred times the clotting rate.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Gio posted:

nasty nate agrees, no big deal, learn cost-benefit analysis

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1381925025964515330?s=21

i like how the "mistake" is shutting down the vaccine that's killing people as opposed to giving vaccine companies liability immunity and waiving all the FDA safeguards so we could Buy Riblets ASAP

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

It appears to be a very small, but real risk associated with the viral vector vaccines. The pause is normal practice when you get adverse events to a drug, so that FDA can assess what caused the reactions, and what to do moving forward.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

euphronius posted:

I just realized Nate doesn’t care about jj because only women are dying

the liberal approach to race relations is to just make sure the state treats poor whites as badly as it does poor poc. it makes perfect sense that the liberal approach to feminism is to make sure we disregard the lives of surplus women just as easily as we disregard the lives of surplus men

sorry you're not a feminist

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Business Gorillas posted:

i like how the "mistake" is shutting down the vaccine that's killing people as opposed to giving vaccine companies liability immunity and waiving all the FDA safeguards so we could Buy Riblets ASAP

I don't think anyone died from the j&j blood clotting?

Leo
Oct 25, 2005

Has anyone seen a theory as to why this happens with the adenovirus vaccines?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

brugroffil posted:

maybe i've got it mixed up with AZ but i figure it must be pretty bad if the FDA is pulling the plug on it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

my covid pod was planning a trip to WI in august to a cabin and i suggested we hold of a couple weeks to put down a large nonrefundable deposit since MI is getting really, really, bad. i was told "you don't have to drive through MI to get to WI" and was linked a NPR article about how being vaccinated against variants is just fine

the group chat has gone silent since i pointed out the NPR article admits we have no idea how vaccines stack up against the Brazil variant and asked why thinking things might get bad again is crazier than covid respects state borders

the only people who have to drive through michigan to get to wisconsin are what, canadians? how does that drive even work

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Leo posted:

Has anyone seen a theory as to why this happens with the adenovirus vaccines?

IIRC, the current theory is overzealous immune response.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Pingui posted:

he probably means this:

you shred some potatoes and fry them and serve with apple sauce, but gently caress greens or tomatoes, it's a sweet dish

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

maybe i've got it mixed up with AZ but i figure it must be pretty bad if the FDA is pulling the plug on it

It's a probably temporary pause to assess safety from a rare side effect not pulling the plug permanently

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
you all are ridiculous, i got the J&J vaccine yesterday and would do it again today

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

One woman died in March, iirc

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the FDA could've announced that they were investigating this weeks ago, since they were, but instead they hit the brakes in the middle of the night on a Tuesday, sending the message that this is a loving emergency

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

a.p. dent posted:

you all are ridiculous, i got the J&J vaccine yesterday and would do it again today

i've got a J&J vaccine and blood that's dummy thicc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The JnJ pause and the inevitable scarcity of RNA vaccines is going to make this weekend's big network TV pro-vaccine gala a little awkward.