Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I feel like I've been making pretty good progress so far, but I'm not sure what my next steps should be. I'll throw everything behind spoilers, cuz I know there's some other new players checking in.

So, I've built a base, and built a Seamoth. I found the Quarantine Platform, and explored the alien ruins underneath. I've travelled back to the Aurora, gone inside, and repaired the parts leaking nuclear pollution. I also found all the parts for the Prawn, and built myself one.
I believe I've visited all the distress beacons that I've been given so far. All the lifepods have been abandoned, and I scooped up various blueprints and PDAs. I've followed some clues about the previous expedition survivors (father, son, & merc lady), and checked out the floating island, and checked out the wrecked base in the Jelly Cave.

I know I'm missing a few important blueprints still (upgrade builder and moon pool for 2), so I've been cruising around scanning parts. I guess otherwise, I just need to keep exploring deeper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I feel like I've been making pretty good progress so far, but I'm not sure what my next steps should be. I'll throw everything behind spoilers, cuz I know there's some other new players checking in.

So, I've built a base, and built a Seamoth. I found the Quarantine Platform, and explored the alien ruins underneath. I've travelled back to the Aurora, gone inside, and repaired the parts leaking nuclear pollution. I also found all the parts for the Prawn, and built myself one.
I believe I've visited all the distress beacons that I've been given so far. All the lifepods have been abandoned, and I scooped up various blueprints and PDAs. I've followed some clues about the previous expedition survivors (father, son, & merc lady), and checked out the floating island, and checked out the wrecked base in the Jelly Cave.

I know I'm missing a few important blueprints still (upgrade builder and moon pool for 2), so I've been cruising around scanning parts. I guess otherwise, I just need to keep exploring deeper?

Yep! Personally I really like having the moonpool and it's nice for bases (main and advance), especially in earlygame where you may not have the blueprints to recharge power cells otherwise. You can find moonpool fragments in wrecks or the mushroom forest. Personally I find the latter location easier.

You will want to go deeper (to the biome where I built the advance base I was talking about in my last post). Can't really describe it's location well so recommend you look that up if you're having trouble finding it - I stumbled across it then marked it with a beacon so now I just head for that. IIRC it's not too far from the biome I mentioned in the spoiler tag above.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

JawnV6 posted:

?? As other posters have pointed out there is a required blueprint inside the aurora. It is not for the word you spoiled.

Fair enough, technically in order to see the game over screen you have to pop your head in quickly. Same with building the cyclops, it's effectively optional until the last second of the game when you need to build one in order to press a button in it.

But that's all just formality stuff, you don't need to do those things to see 99% of the game's content.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

poly and open-minded posted:

I've been playing on PS4 and it's so drat frustrating to have to stop and wait for like... the Lost River to populate. I was in the the lava area near the alien base when the water depopulated so I sank to the bottom and couldn't get back up. It made me decide I didn't care about finishing

That kinda happened for me too, I assumed I had just gone through some kind of air bubble and spent a few minutes toddling around in my prawnsuit looking for an entrance, trying to grapple upwards, and occasionally getting out to confirm that yes, there's air and the prawnsuit does that little land squat.

Three other times I tried going through that area, the game crashed.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I just finished this game. Loved every bit of it. Well except for the Crashfish. Here's a tip on PS4, let your save finish before going anywhere. I'm assuming the write time gets in the way.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

SlothfulCobra posted:

That kinda happened for me too, I assumed I had just gone through some kind of air bubble and spent a few minutes toddling around in my prawnsuit looking for an entrance, trying to grapple upwards, and occasionally getting out to confirm that yes, there's air and the prawnsuit does that little land squat.

Three other times I tried going through that area, the game crashed.

Yeah, the last area is pretty dumb in that it encourages you to use the prawn suit while also being extremely buggy when you're in it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah, the last area is pretty dumb in that it encourages you to use the prawn suit while also being extremely buggy when you're in it.

You can at least get around the bugs for the most part. If you run into the bug where you get out of the suit and sink into the ground making it seem like you're an inch tall, getting back in and out of the suit tended to fix things for me. The bigger issue in my experience was the prawn suit getting completely stuck in doorways such that I couldn't dislodge it with normal movement. That can be dealt with by using the grappling arm to hook onto a wall and pull yourself free from the doorway with some janky physics, if I didn't have the grapple already I think I might have had to abandon it and come back with another suit. I don't think the propulsion cannon can be used to dislodge vehicles from geometry because I got my Seamoth stranded on some metal around the Aurora entrance once and hitting it repeatedly with the cannon didn't do anything.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The propulsion gun was invaluable in the last areas for getting my prawn suit unstuck from the floor

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Serephina posted:

But that's all just formality stuff, you don't need to do those things to see 99% of the game's content.

There is no reason not to go there, it’s a unique setting in the game you otherwise won’t see, and it’s part of the story.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Plus you get another audio log from Neebs and crew.
Which is way better than the Markiplier bobblehead you find.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
You also get the cat poster, which is in some ways the best item in the game.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Oasx posted:

You also get the cat poster, which is in some ways the best item in the game.

I bought an IRL version of it on RedBubble and took it to my local office supply store to get laminated on their big machine, the staff loved it (don't think any had played Subnautica though).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oasx posted:

There is no reason not to go there, it’s a unique setting in the game you otherwise won’t see, and it’s part of the story.

The context of this conversation is "If I ignore the Aurora, will stuff still continue to happen?" and my responses have been "Yes, you'll miss out on the loot but you can cheerfully continue the main plotline/exploration" and I've got loving pendants coming out of the woodwork, jesus.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Even so, pleasant memories are crucial to survival on arduous journeys.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

darkgray posted:

in combination with the ludicrous 2-3 minute save time made it a very tedious ceremony.

Wait what? I just keep trucking along as I see the save icon spinning, so it doesn't cost me that much time to save.

War Wizard posted:

Here's a tip on PS4, let your save finish before going anywhere. I'm assuming the write time gets in the way.

Eh why? What can happen? That would definitely cost me 2-3 minutes of waiting around.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I bought an IRL version of it on RedBubble

Cool tip, I see they have a bunch of Subnautica posters.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Serephina posted:

The context of this conversation is "If I ignore the Aurora, will stuff still continue to happen?" and my responses have been "Yes, you'll miss out on the loot but you can cheerfully continue the main plotline/exploration" and I've got loving pendants coming out of the woodwork, jesus.

It's actually spelled pedants :eng101:

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
The crashfish audio cue still panics me a bit. I'm working up the gumption to explore the lava biome.

Phssthpok posted:

gently caress thats good stuff

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Phssthpok posted:

e oh my God I started this I'm sorry

Ok so *can* you explore it beforehand, and, in so doing, fix it

Can I get into it and collect the stuff in there now that it's exploded

Comedy "start your game over and find out yourself as penance" option

I have come in peace, I was only curious, oh neptune forgive me

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 13, 2021

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
https://youtu.be/bRx1UrkhgAA

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Double post

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Sioux posted:

Wait what? I just keep trucking along as I see the save icon spinning, so it doesn't cost me that much time to save.

Once I went on a 15 minute copper gathering run, got back to my base and stored it all, then dutifully hit Save and the game immediately crashed. And Reddit is filled with threads about corrupted saves that won't load anymore. Forgive me if I got overly cautious in the face of the machine's fickle nature.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Hound posted:

e oh my God I started this I'm sorry

Ok so *can* you explore it beforehand, and, in so doing, fix it

Can I get into it and collect the stuff in there now that it's exploded

Comedy "start your game over and find out yourself as penance" option

I have come in peace, I was only curious, oh neptune forgive me

You can't get in before it goes boom, but can do so now that it's popped. Bring a fire extinguisher and tools.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Also a knife because loving gross poo poo wound up in there

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
And a few first aid kits.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Thank you please return to moon pool feng shui

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

darkgray posted:

Once I went on a 15 minute copper gathering run, got back to my base and stored it all, then dutifully hit Save and the game immediately crashed. And Reddit is filled with threads about corrupted saves that won't load anymore. Forgive me if I got overly cautious in the face of the machine's fickle nature.

I usually just paused the game and waited for the save icon to go away minutes later. But one time I got cocky and tried to warp through a portal while saving the game and buddy I could’ve crawled the distance faster than the game loaded the new area.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdix1XxaZyU

It's cute and amusing to see the banal side of Alterra and all, but it's still pretty :chloe: that they're highlighting a middle aged white guy character when the protagonist is a black woman. Could be an accident that they're hiding her behind the curtain for the launch trailer, but wouldn't be surprised if it was considered as a means to not dissuade any sales.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 14, 2021

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Zesty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdix1XxaZyU

It's cute and amusing to see the banal side of Alterra and all, but it's still pretty :chloe: that they're highlighting a middle aged white guy character when the protagonist is a black woman. Could be an accident that they're hiding her behind the curtain for the launch trailer, but wouldn't be surprised if it was considered as a means to not dissuade any sales.

I think the trailer is, as before, a backdrop that explains the events of the game.

You know, the (most recent?) trailer for subnautica 1 focuses on the degasi survivor and their logs; then the player comes along.

frozen rear end giant leviathan sound familiar that alterra stumbles across sound familar, anyone?

Its good storywriting in disguise.

Except for maybe mister boring rear end mc-dilbert-son over there having a cartoonishly bad day.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Sioux posted:

Eh why? What can happen? That would definitely cost me 2-3 minutes of waiting around.

I wasted all that time exploring areas I'd never seen before thinking they were new, but nope, that's just what this area looks like with just collision data and nothing else. Somtimes resources take a moment to load in, and you won't find anything until load times return to normal. I just didn't want my game to crash, it's clearly not optimized for the system. Whatever, I'm happy enough to get a chance to play it. :/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

was the ability to build vehicle upgrades moved at some point in EA? I'm maybe 10 hours into this save and still haven't found it, to the point that the couple of free vehicle upgrades on the aurora were actually a big deal. when I played this in EA I already had those upgrades and think I found the ability to build them quite early on.

trying to find where to build the base this time. there are some geysers around the bulb mushrooms which are appealing if I bother to clear out enough space, and there's the top of the giant tree mushroom although thermal generators wouldn't work there.

this was my favorite base I made in EA. On those underwater floating platforms, one of them is very large and has heat vents on it so I built a circle of rooms around the center of the platform.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

TheParadigm posted:

I think the trailer is, as before, a backdrop that explains the events of the game.

You know, the (most recent?) trailer for subnautica 1 focuses on the degasi survivor and their logs; then the player comes along.

frozen rear end giant leviathan sound familiar that alterra stumbles across sound familar, anyone?

Its good storywriting in disguise.

Except for maybe mister boring rear end mc-dilbert-son over there having a cartoonishly bad day.

Agreeing with this, this chump is probably your predecessor that gets wiped out at some point.

As for speculation, it could be a Proto-Onos with accompanying noise. Subnautica has loose connections to Natural-Selection: with the Kharaa being a branch of the same infection the original Subnautica focused on.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tetrabor posted:

Agreeing with this, this chump is probably your predecessor that gets wiped out at some point.

As for speculation, it could be a Proto-Onos with accompanying noise. Subnautica has loose connections to Natural-Selection: with the Kharaa being a branch of the same infection the original Subnautica focused on.

Fred has audio logs in-game.

He doesn't have very good luck.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

He's me, but I'm still searching for the love handle armor blueprint

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I haven't seen the trailer, did the cheese sandwich debacle ever get closure

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Below Zero spoilers make me think that The Thing would be an amazing concept for a survival sandbox, underwater or no.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Below Zero spoilers make me think that The Thing would be an amazing concept for a survival sandbox, underwater or no.

Return of the Obra Dinn but you gotta figure out who the alien is.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Excited to learn I do not know how to build a base

I don't suppose I can knock down this monstrosity and build off of my initial lifeboat

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

I don't suppose I can knock down this monstrosity and build off of my initial lifeboat

You can’t attach anything to the lifepod, but you can deconstruct anything you’ve built and get all the materials back.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Comrade Koba posted:

You can’t attach anything to the lifepod, but you can deconstruct anything you’ve built and get all the materials back.

Such a nice mechanic, something I really appreciated about it as someone who sometimes gets decision paralysis in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I decided to take a stroll around in the Prawn suit, and I ended up heading into a deeper sandy area near the mushroom forest. Down a little deeper from that, and I found a couple volcanic vents. I thought perfect, I'll build a nice base here with thermal power. Then I hear a Reaper swimming around. gently caress if I want to live beside that kind of neighbour. Instead of loving off elsewhere, I decided to make my stand here, and kill that rear end in a top hat. So I charged forward in my mighty Prawn, and I punched it.
And punched it.
Aaaaaand punched it.

Oh gently caress, now I'm getting bitten and shaken around. Feels like I'm a newborn baby and a Rottweiler has got me.
But I keep punching.
So I must be doing some damage, because now the rear end in a top hat is swimming away from me, and eating some other fish. What a prick! Feels like I'm playing :darksouls: PVP, and the guy I'm trying to stab keeps running and hiding behind enemies so he can heal himself. But I'm a stubborn one, so I keep chasing, and punching, and the Reaper starts getting closer to the surface as it flees. We eventually get into less than 100m of water. The Reaper had gotten stuck under one of the mushroom tree layers, so I got in a whole bunch of free shots. I also got the bite n shake twice more. I was now down to about 13 health left on my Prawn. Then suddenly, with no fanfare at all, the Reaper stopped fighting, and turned belly-up. Seemed rather disappointing after the ten minutes I spent hopping around and punching this fish.
But now, I have a safer soon-to-be home.

e: BTW, I just found out that you can honk the horn in the Cyclops. You bet your rear end that I'm tooting around the ocean, celebrating my victory.

The Zombie Guy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 15, 2021