Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Democratic Pirate posted:

Wait what were the racism, ableism, and PR agent calling it family DND game incidents? Because that seems like de glass shahk haters are out for blood.

I'd guess racism is referring to the great debate on whether it was racist to have a Hispanic character named Taco or if it was racist to have a character named Taco who wasn't Hispanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Wait what were the racism, ableism, and PR agent calling it family DND game incidents? Because that seems like de glass shahk haters are out for blood.

Justin said the n word a bunch and pushed a children's wheelchair basketball team down the stairs after their agent rolled a 1 in dungeons and dragons

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PR agent calling it family DND game incidents?
its from a vice article

quote:

One person who described the Adventure Zone as "a family D&D game" to me was McElroy's PR person when I reached out to them for comment; most family D&D games do not have their own press representatives.

"I hate to see a family D&D game dragged through the mud," they said.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
perhaps because they are famous gamers people just assume they use the words

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TAZ is literally a D&D game played by a family. what is the controversy there

there are also family-run businesses that have a pr person. idgi

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Family as in owned and run by people who are related, or family as in G-rated?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
the cowboy bit from the Yahoo! question this week was extremely good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Family as in owned and run by people who are related, or family as in G-rated?
clearly the former, in the very first Balance episode they go through a jizz cavern

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I'd guess racism is referring to the great debate on whether it was racist to have a Hispanic character named Taco or if it was racist to have a character named Taco who wasn't Hispanic.

I think Takko being hispanic is entirely a fan invention iirc so this was always kind of weird to me

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

clearly the former, in the very first Balance episode they go through a jizz cavern

Also had Clint "working on his cantrips" (masturbating) right at the start.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Justin said the n word a bunch and pushed a children's wheelchair basketball team down the stairs after their agent rolled a 1 in dungeons and dragons

wow. can't believe the mcelorys would do this. i am going to twitter now

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

TAZ is literally a D&D game played by a family. what is the controversy there

there are also family-run businesses that have a pr person. idgi

Yea I've known some small (read: single digit number of employees) business that have someone that handles pr and/or social media stuff for them. It's a confusing thing to call out since it's far from unheard of!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think the racism comment is referring to this

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1376951574942134272
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1376951576301035523
https://twitter.com/headsortailors/status/1376955924871589900

it wasn't signal boosted that much so i assume it is mostly just held in the permanent record by people who have an axe to grind

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The 7th Guest posted:

it wasn't signal boosted that much so i assume it is mostly just held in the permanent record by people who have an axe to grind
God help any content creator who ends up with a significant number of actively-looking-for-things-to-be-offended-by people like that as part of their core audience. They'll inevitably come for you over something spectacularly dumb and at that point either admitting guilt or not admitting guilt will both prove you're a megahitler. The whole thing with Lindsay Ellis is an impressively stupid recent example.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I can’t believe Dale made them read that ad copy.

Also the best McElroy did a new thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVgPCM5wEk

Warbird fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 13, 2021

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Entropic posted:

God help any content creator who ends up with a significant number of actively-looking-for-things-to-be-offended-by people like that as part of their core audience. They'll inevitably come for you over something spectacularly dumb and at that point either admitting guilt or not admitting guilt will both prove you're a megahitler. The whole thing with Lindsay Ellis is an impressively stupid recent example.

maybe don't court those kinds of people

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Bonaventure posted:

maybe don't court those kinds of people
Can we try not to give them so much oxygen here in the thread? Otherwise every 10 pages has a rehash of every bad faith non-controversy from the last 5 years

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just wanna read crystal kingdom

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
too much munch squad

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

havent listened for a few weeks, so im doing a catchup. the bit where they've put a coin in the jar for every This is very good.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BREAKING NEWS: SOMEONE IS BEING DUMB ON THE INTERNET. SHOCKING! We must discuss every facet of this utterly unique occurance.

Warbird posted:

Extremely good.

Tears In A Vial posted:

havent listened for a few weeks, so im doing a catchup. the bit where they've put a coin in the jar for every This is very good.

What a ridiculous amount of effort their editor must have gone through to make that bit a reality.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Warbird posted:

wow, that list of patrons at the end are just the ones supporting at the £8 a month level. BDG is doing pretty good out of patreon.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Tears In A Vial posted:

wow, that list of patrons at the end are just the ones supporting at the £8 a month level. BDG is doing pretty good out of patreon.

I was going to post something about Brian angling to get a job making digital shorts for snl but drat, I bet that patreon money is way better. Plus his vibe doesn’t seem like it would gel with that show anyway.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
it's too bad upstart doesn't have a mall kiosk so justin can video tape doctorwife yelling at them

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I was going to post something about Brian angling to get a job making digital shorts for snl but drat, I bet that patreon money is way better. Plus his vibe doesn’t seem like it would gel with that show anyway.

He's got like 4k patreons, so if even 50% of them are at the $5 tier that's still a good 15k a month with Patreon taking a 25% cut (presuming the other 50% are somewhat split between tiers)

He's making out pretty dang good for sure, and good for him. The guy is insanely talented

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

This does seem like a Lonely Island bit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Colonel Whitey posted:

Working for Lorne sounds like a huge beating.

Put Tara in charge of SNL digital shorts and then we're cooking again.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

He's got like 4k patreons, so if even 50% of them are at the $5 tier that's still a good 15k a month with Patreon taking a 25% cut (presuming the other 50% are somewhat split between tiers)

He's making out pretty dang good for sure, and good for him. The guy is insanely talented

Sounds like a good amount of money to be making while self-employed, he should do a video about it.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

it's too bad upstart doesn't have a mall kiosk so justin can video tape doctorwife yelling at them

Maybe some CBD guys can buy ad time and finally heal the old wounds

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Okay Dale had some very good points and seems to have his head on straight. He is obviously the Best Boy Band Boy.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

mikeycp posted:

hopefully she escalates and dropkicks them

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
mfw my favorite predatory loan salesman harasses a retail worker for clout

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I may not be bisexual, but my sister in law and my D&d characters are, so that's why pride is my holiday

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do people Brian’s age care about snl? I’m old enough (36) that a lot of my friends who did comedy/acting stuff when they were Brian’s age had “get on snl” as a goal but I feel like that show has been coasting for long enough that younger generations don’t give a poo poo about it

I’m not basing this on anything it just feels like a smart thing to say so I’m going for it

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do people Brian’s age care about snl? I’m old enough (36) that a lot of my friends who did comedy/acting stuff when they were Brian’s age had “get on snl” as a goal but I feel like that show has been coasting for long enough that younger generations don’t give a poo poo about it

I’m not basing this on anything it just feels like a smart thing to say so I’m going for it

i am younger than bdg and i don't give a poo poo about SNL. the only person i can think of from that show that i've seen doing literally anything else is pete davidson, and that thing was almost marrying ariana grande

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm not sure I've ever met someone who likes SNL. Or at least, if they did, they never brought it up.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
nobody's liked SNL since Jim Belushi, it's just that Lorne has dirt on all of us and we're gonna clap and laugh when he says to

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SNL is firmly targeting the MSNBC demographic these days, as evidenced by the fact that they did a musical number praising Mueller.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think a decent number of comedy people still shoot for SNL since it's one of the more public ways to make money being funny and unknown.

e: Erin from Hey Riddle Riddle auditioned for SNL a few years ago and is only 2 years older than BDG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SpacePig posted:

I think a decent number of comedy people still shoot for SNL since it's one of the more public ways to make money being funny and unknown.

e: Erin from Hey Riddle Riddle auditioned for SNL a few years ago and is only 2 years older than BDG.

I listen to a lot of comedy podcasts and I feel like 90% of the time whenever SNL comes up it's about the host or guest having auditioned for it.