Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
would love to see the Good Mythical Morning* crew engulfed in a similar non-scandal as these McElroy boys

also lol at Christman uncovering another buried childhood memory of being a major dorkass

*whose popularity l can only suspect lies in honing in on unconscious cues in set dressing and format that trigger childhood television programming nostalgia in adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dr. Killjoy posted:

would love to see the Good Mythical Morning* crew engulfed in a similar non-scandal as these McElroy boys
Why? I don't really know much other than my fiance watches it on the TV semi-frequently and it seems fine, inoffensive, and harmless entertainment? I'm not really a youtube person so idgi

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

whatever happened to Nightvale

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Victory Position posted:

whatever happened to Nightvale
goon success story. apparently there's a TV dealio in the works

kina hard to believe it was made by a front page writer and forums poster, and earwicker lol

More seriously, I think its still kicking well, but of course covid shut down their live shows and that's probably taken a little steam out of the tank. I have a suspicion jeffrey fink and crew may be getting a wee bit tired of it, but obviously still enjoying it since it's still going on. Maybe mostly a lot of people have worn out/fallen off the wagon and lost a little bit of internet vogue-ness; at least that's the case for me and most people I know, I really liked it early on when it was like what if NPR, but creepy desert town and twilight-zoney but then... i dunno. I guess it feels like it's just gone on too long and a bit too much almost AO3 with serial character tropes and stuff these days (although it's been awhile since I last listened). I felt like it lost a little something magical at some point but I can't articulate it. Of course there's always new people discovering it so I'm sure it's more popular than ever, but probably not within your medial-spheres that you'd know.

e: to add, Alice Isn't Dead is extremely good if you never listened to it, I loved it a lot more than WTNV. feels like the perfect culmination of their experimenting with WTNV, and it's only 3 "seasons" so it's not that long.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:41 on Apr 13, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Blue Chew No Matter Who

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Xaris posted:

earwicker

holy gently caress, really?

jesus, I had no idea (in a good way)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Victory Position posted:

holy gently caress, really?

jesus, I had no idea (in a good way)

earwicker does the music, joseph fink/maxmoana does writing

i met earwicker after a show, he's a nice dude. but yeah sincerely good for them, it's nice to see successful goon projects unlike doobie dog houses and groverhaus and murdervans and DOOM rapebathrooms

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

here's where it makes sense, yeah, that's badass though, I really do need to listen through at some point

is it actual like phantasmagoric kind of horror where the supernatural effects of the world overcome and transcend at times, or is it something grittier, something more Southern Gothic

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Victory Position posted:

here's where it makes sense, yeah, that's badass though, I really do need to listen through at some point

is it actual like phantasmagoric kind of horror where the supernatural effects of the world overcome and transcend at times, or is it something grittier, something more Southern Gothic
I honestly have no idea how to answer that, but I can say it's not gritty and gets less serious/more comical as the series goes on with a bit more character drama sort of stuff. prob just checkout either the most recent or the first ep and you'll understand the format.

I would say checkout Alice Isn't Dead first though, it's still Fink/Earwicker/etc peeps. it's (a lot) grittier but is a good series. it's also voiced by Jasika Nicole (Astrid from The Fringe).

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:04 on Apr 13, 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I would say just start Nightvale at the beginning and quit when you feel the premise is played out.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

WrightOfWay posted:

I would say just start Nightvale at the beginning and quit when you feel the premise is played out.
this is a pretty good philosophy for all podcasts. I can't think of really any that were bad early on and then got good.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
oh man I listened to the entire 2 hour true anon episode on matt gaetz and boy is my brain powerful right now

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ive never listened to the McElroys but I absolutely do not believe that the Purple Soy Beard Man is biphobic

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
what the gently caress kind of fake irish name is "mcelroy".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think my first effortpost on SA was an EN about being harassed and groped by a guy named McElroy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

babypolis posted:

this sucks but the people pushing this also seem to suck? like apparently its biphobia for a straight man to say he finds men attractive? what?

That was a pretty funny combination of making a really lame tweet to your self-selected terrible audience. One of the Mcelroys was like "Harry Styles is so cute! Everyone thinks I'm bi but I'm not even though I'd be really good at it tee hee" and an hour later had to publicly apologize for doing bi erasure and being a bad ally.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

That was a pretty funny combination of making a really lame tweet to your self-selected terrible audience. One of the Mcelroys was like "Harry Styles is so cute! Everyone thinks I'm bi but I'm not even though I'd be really good at it tee hee" and an hour later had to publicly apologize for doing bi erasure and being a bad ally.

they deserve that treatment for cultivating a lame fanbase full of scolds and morons

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
lol wrong thread. I saw ths post above and got mixed up. need coffee

a Loving Dog has issued a correction as of 13:51 on Apr 13, 2021

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

EDIT: nvm.

gh0stpinballa has issued a correction as of 17:07 on Apr 13, 2021

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

WrightOfWay posted:

The exact moment for this by the way is the end of season five(?) when they all finally acknowledge that actually Night Vale is super hosed up and these things that happen aren't normal.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shipon posted:

yeah all of the supposed "biphobic" stuff from a few weeks ago was a complete nothing. these guys have the most unhinged fans but lmao at shilling predatory loans

The funny thing is none of these could be true (except the lovely loans, which is fair) but the McElroys are so thoroughly shackled to the idea of forced positivity and offending absolutely no one that they're forced to take bad faith harrassment like this seriously lol. It's not enough to just say "well I know I don't hate bi people and I know what I said implied no such thing", the fact that someone thinks you are makes it true and forces contrition

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

The internalized toxic masculinity is strong with their fans, apparently.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

is it biphobia to have sex with your dad

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Atrocious Joe posted:

is it biphobia to have sex with your dad

biphobic: a podcast about being gay with your dad
bi ally: a podcast about being bi with your dad and your mom

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Ive never listened to the McElroys but I absolutely do not believe that the Purple Soy Beard Man is biphobic

you would be surprised how far his gimmick has carried him

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Deified Data posted:

The funny thing is none of these could be true (except the lovely loans, which is fair) but the McElroys are so thoroughly shackled to the idea of forced positivity and offending absolutely no one that they're forced to take bad faith harrassment like this seriously lol. It's not enough to just say "well I know I don't hate bi people and I know what I said implied no such thing", the fact that someone thinks you are makes it true and forces contrition

iirc a few years ago they had to start apologizing about stuff like using "retard" and fat shaming from their earlier episodes, i wanna say it came up when they did a clip show or something

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

THS posted:

they deserve that treatment for cultivating a lame fanbase full of scolds and morons

Yeah, my impression was that their fanbase is just painfully bland people, not that they're woke loonies.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Zedhe Khoja posted:

what the gently caress kind of fake irish name is "mcelroy".

Its from an alternate Jetsons universe in which the Irish had the cranial capacity needed to start a space program.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Nightvale has some of the same woke tumblr people in their audience, but I never see drama about the creators because they never set the precedent of always responding to fans.

I think most of the McElroy audience is pretty lowkey, but since they seem to respond to every tweet they have more drama.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

again, the cum town audience sets the standard for hostile audiences. the Nick Mullen super bowl commercial is still funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_3LV-jeuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NjmTzWMAbs

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
"more like 5 AM" *cackle*

Atrocious Joe posted:

again, the cum town audience sets the standard for hostile audiences. the Nick Mullen super bowl commercial is still funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_3LV-jeuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NjmTzWMAbs
to be fair the worst of the subreddit people actively despised the show

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Shipon posted:

to be fair the worst of the subreddit people actively despised the show

fitting that Nick would have accomplished an Opie & Anthony fan base speed run

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao

https://twitter.com/scottmstedman/status/1382101322380447746?s=21

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
gaetz his rear end

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

that's a lmao right there

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Bengaetzi ain't goin away!

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

Nightvale has some of the same woke tumblr people in their audience, but I never see drama about the creators because they never set the precedent of always responding to fans.

I think most of the McElroy audience is pretty lowkey, but since they seem to respond to every tweet they have more drama.

I was going through the thread the other day and someone posted an email that Cranor had replied to with "No gently caress you", it rules

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

night vale is like one single episode one epsiode but less funny and stretched out toa billion hours

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

also for an audio only format it somehow inspired a lot of tumblr discourse over what races to depict the characters as in fan-art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dr. Killjoy posted:

also for an audio only format it somehow inspired a lot of tumblr discourse over what races to depict the characters as in fan-art
the radioactive glow cloud is cannonically white