Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

PeterCat posted:

Anti-Israeli draw?

The cock on draw thing?

Yes. It’s significantly slower and assumes both your limbs are functioning. Like if you are carrying a gun that gun better be ready to work or it’s all just cosplay.

Also That is a bandaid. The real first step is don’t have first responders to non violent encounters be armed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Has 'we can't abolish police then the police would do crime' been sincerely floated as a take yet by the big brain havers?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

maffew buildings posted:

Has 'we can't abolish police then the police would do crime' been sincerely floated as a take yet by the big brain havers?

It’s their go-to response.

Also “you better never call the police if you want to abolish them.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Brute Squad posted:

i love every bit of this. lmao at jealous doj snoops.

I can't believe how spot on he nailed matt's head to torso ratio.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I mean I'm not hopeful for an alternative.

I can't imagine most people are comfortable without having SOMEONE to call to stop a serious crime.

People have broken brains. You can't tell them some poo poo is the new normal without really loving things up first.

That's why they let 9/11 happen.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

Serious question: Is it standard procedure for police to keep their firearms in condition 0 when they're working? It seems like having to actually chamber a round would be a good way to prevent a) uncool things like negligent discharges, and b) loving killing somebody with the wrong goddamn weapon.

This is the same class of gun users who had department armorers replacing trigger springs to 12 loving pounds.

And they were still NDing into their legs/suspects/cars.

The only way to have a cop be safe with a firearm is to remove the firearm from the cop.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

I can't believe how spot on he nailed matt's head to torso ratio.

Thought that too. It's like you barely need to even adjust proportions to make Gertz's head into comic form.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Seems like the solution would be to abolish the police then

That is an insane position to have that will not lead to any improvements except for people to stop taking reform seriously.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Meshka posted:

That is an insane position to have that will not lead to any improvements except for people to stop taking reform seriously.

Go on

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Meshka posted:

The people who aren’t taking reform seriously weren’t put on that side by “abolish the police.” They were already there.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Police serve a crucial role within a civilized society? I don’t want to be armed when I go outside every time so I don’t get robbed in broad daylight?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This won't happen without open and concealed carry going away, and that won't stop criminals and mass shooters from breaking the law and using guns anyway, and as the response to protests nationwide have proven, when you remove lethal force from the equation and provide LEO with an abundance of less-lethal options, they use the less-lethal options to lethal extents and extremes, like braining someone with a tear gas canister at close range or purposely shooting pepperballs and rubber bullets at no-go areas.

This is a Pandora's Box that cannot be closed by one single action.

Given that police have shown they are absolutely inept and unwilling to deal with concealed carry and open carry people anyways (usually because they are white) what difference does it make if they have a gun or not?

https://twitter.com/irishrygirl/status/1381754869900529665?s=20

These guys had guns and did nothing except for one single case.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Meshka posted:

Police serve a crucial role within a civilized society? I don’t want to be armed when I go outside every time so I don’t get robbed in broad daylight?

Maybe society should fix whatever has you so terrified to step outside of your home.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

boop the snoot posted:

Maybe society should fix whatever has you so terrified to step outside of your home.

He's terrified but he probably orders out pizza, exposing some poor delivery driver to one of the most dangerous jobs in the United States.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The town I live in in Colorado has a somewhat large population of transients, meth heads, etc... there are a couple super lovely motels that a lot of these people frequent and I just saw a few cop cars roll up to one and naturally they all rolled out of their explorers with AR’s. I’m sure that they passed out crack head or guy yelling at his old lady that they’re responding to justifies that :jerkbag:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Meshka posted:

:laffo:

Okay

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Police play a crucial role in a society so civilized that without the police, I’d have to be strapped to go outside.

Sounds real civilized!

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Naramyth posted:

A gun without a bullet in the chamber is just an awkward club.

An awkward club that can be transformed into a firearm in less than a second, sure.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

boop the snoot posted:

Police play a crucial role in a society so civilized that without the police, I’d have to be strapped to go outside.

Sounds real civilized!

A portion of people are not inherently good no matter how well a society runs itself and will always take advantage of the weaker without a mechanism to discourage that type of behavior. Saying abolish all police makes you sound like a child and will never be accepted by majority of people.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Meshka posted:

A portion of people are not inherently good no matter how well a society runs itself and will always take advantage of the weaker without a mechanism to discourage that type of behavior. Saying abolish all police makes you sound like a child and will never be accepted by majority of people.

:laffo:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Do you have any literature on which people are inherently not good? Maybe there's some handy metrics you could clue us in to

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Meshka posted:

Why do you feel so unsafe going outside of your home though. Be specific.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Meshka posted:

Ahhhh, the Purge realist has logged on. This is the sort of person that also argues that without the threat of divine punishment, everyone would become debauched murderers and rapists.

Abolish All Police and replace them with Social Programs and Special Response teams.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Meshka posted:

do you often use the term 'thugs' when discussing Chicago

show me on the doll where the swarthy hordes touched you

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
This link is for Meshka, though I doubt they'll care to peruse what police abolition means.

http://criticalresistance.org/abolish-policing/

In the toolkit, around page 20 there's a nice explainer of the difference between reform and abolition

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That won't stop criminals and mass shooters from breaking the law and using guns anyway

Regardless of how you feel about guns or what ever, basing a law or policy on "people will just break the laws anyway" in my mind leads to the interesting conclusion that laws and policies as a whole are useless because people will just break the laws anyway.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
okay this one is probably on me, sorry about that, but fellas I think we need to pull up here

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

boop the snoot posted:

I fuckin know right. Like did poster make irl gunhaving enemies? Like I get it if your neighbor brandished on you, but like not every neighborhood is like that, and even if it was the police flatly say "he can brandish on his property"

Source: ID Discovery's "Fear Thy Neighbor"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Tbh the only murderous mobs I’d really be worried about if the cops suddenly vanished would be lynch mobs.

And we already have those. They’re called cops.

If you think people outside of your home are targeting you and the cops are the only thing standing in their way then you probably need to have a chat with yourself about what you’ve done to piss people off that much. You’re not Jason loving Bourne.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So have Republicans already started blaming Biden for losing Afghanistan...you know despite what Trump was doing...yet?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm going to repost a post I made in CA .

Tl:dr, should ordinary people have to deal with biker gangs?

I know this is a little out of left field, but chopper chat has reminded me of something I've been looking at since HD released their Pan America video. It's probably unrelated, but after I watched that I had this clip recommended to me by Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbf5i75O98

It's about an old biker / chopper builder named Tom Fugle. I'd never heard of him, but I noticed his shirt said "Des Moines" on it, and when I watched the credits, it said the clip was filmed in Sioux City. This is where I'm from, so I did a little more research. He was the founder / president of the El Forastero1% MC.

He's featured in the film "21 Days under the Sky," which feels like a 90 minute advertisement for a lifestyle brand that sells $500 axes and beard balm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k7M2GnP3mk

The riders in that film make a pilgrimage to Sioux City to fawn over Tom and talk about how real and authentic he is.

All this jogged some memories and I was like, oh yeah, the son of the people who lived across the street from me in Sioux City used to hang out with the Forasteros, got mixed up with them and another MC, and was brutally murdered.

Basically what I'm saying is, while choppers and such are cool, gently caress these guys who are fawning over Tom Fugle and the dirtbags he hung out with. They try to make him look like some kinda kindly grampa and he was just a POS.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

okay this one is probably on me, sorry about that, but fellas I think we need to pull up here

Before we do that, has anyone considered abolishing the police....straight into the sun? Or at least to Mars?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

PeterCat posted:

I know this is a little out of left field, but chopper chat has reminded me of something I've been looking at since HD released their Pan America video. It's probably unrelated, but after I watched that I had this clip recommended to me by Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbf5i75O98

It's about an old biker / chopper builder named Tom Fugle. I'd never heard of him, but I noticed his shirt said "Des Moines" on it, and when I watched the credits, it said the clip was filmed in Sioux City. This is where I'm from, so I did a little more research. He was the founder / president of the El Forastero1% MC.

He's featured in the film "21 Days under the Sky," which feels like a 90 minute advertisement for a lifestyle brand that sells $500 axes and beard balm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k7M2GnP3mk

The riders in that film make a pilgrimage to Sioux City to fawn over Tom and talk about how real and authentic he is.

All this jogged some memories and I was like, oh yeah, the son of the people who lived across the street from me in Sioux City used to hang out with the Forasteros, got mixed up with them and another MC, and was brutally murdered.

Basically what I'm saying is, while choppers and such are cool, gently caress these guys who are fawning over Tom Fugle and the dirtbags he hung out with. They try to make him look like some kinda kindly grampa and he was just a POS.

wut

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Meshka posted:

Your 1st sentence is a good point about why abolishing police is an improvement to the status quo.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Meshka posted:

yeah we put all the people who would take advantage of the weak in positions of power and gave them guns and let them kill indiscriminately it's called the loving police

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PeterCat posted:

but....ordinary people DON'T deal with biker games, for a couple reasons: Because neither do the cops, because often the bikers include cops/ex-cops and/or associations via White Supremacist groups that are associated with both, and for another reason being that Biker Gangs are not actually roaming the streets like that.

But get associated with bikers, knowing what Biker Gangs tend to include, you might get killed. Biker Gangs have white privilege that protects them normally.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/TheDweck/status/1382046832373624836?s=20

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

More to the point, what the hell makes you think cops existing is going to help you? They don't stop crime. Like, ever. They're there to clean up afterwards.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Best Friends posted:

An awkward club that can be transformed into a firearm in less than a second, sure.

The problem is you don't always have the time or physical ability to rack a round in. Many draws are done with the support hand in defense, which makes it incredibly difficult to make the gun ready.

I'd rather them not have a gun that deal with that bullshit, because they will still ND and shoot people while dealing with their lovely unloaded gun, because Cops aren't professionals with firearms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Meshka posted:

That portion is called "the police."