Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Just click "I don't have Internet" during Windows 10 setup, and you can create a local account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Biowarfare posted:

I have a machine that has NOTHING ever returned in search. I dont' know why. Literally I can find the program in the program list but if I type anything, network, chrome, power, 0 results. Indexer service is running and I have no idea wtf.

I've seen something similar where text input for start menu search (and a couple of other places e.g. entering credentials for WiFi) wouldn't work, text just could not be entered... it ended up being a couple of packages under C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages were corrupt and had to be overwritten with known-good copies from the local administrator user. Specifically the folders starting with windows.immersivecontrolpanel_ and Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_ . There's also a Microsoft.Windows.Search_ you could try the same trick.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our EMR vendor. Opened a ticket Friday AM. Haven't heard anything.

Call them up this morning. Basically what is happening is a terminal emulator isn't working because a port is closed. They either stopped a service or blocked the port with the firewall on the last update.

First off I can't see my ticket in their ticketing website. Even if I manually put the number in, it tells me I don't have permission to view the ticket I made. Okay.

Get a tech on the line. "Oh yea, I was working on this and got sidetracked. Sorry."

I explain the issue to him, "Well that looks like someone is coming in from the outside....is it a vendor?"

It's an internal user on our LAN.

"Hrmm well it looks like the server is blocking it."

Well, it's your server.

"I'm on the networking side...that looks like all layer 2 traffic so it should be fine. Let me get someone else on the line and I'll call you back"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

*whispers* DNS DNS DNS DNS

Kidding or am I

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Guy called me back.

"You see what's happening is either port is being blocked by the firewall or a service isn't running. I'm on the network side so I'm transferring this over to a software tech to assist you. He'll call you in five minutes."

That was at 9:15.

Hey so why can't I see the ticket?

"Well you see I'm on an internal team and when it's transferred over to us, you can't see it anymore."

Awesome.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Bob Morales posted:

There was a bug that did that but they fixed it

Is there a specific patch, or was it included in a feature update that's not the latest? I've got a W10 machine doing the exact same thing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

klosterdev posted:

Is there a specific patch, or was it included in a feature update that's not the latest? I've got a W10 machine doing the exact same thing.

https://twitter.com/WindowsUpdate/status/1225137751223259136

? Not sure if that was it, seems like it was at least a year ago.

There are a bunch of posts from people who are still having the issue and there are fixes from restarting Cortana to modifying registry keys? I haven't really had it happen so I'm not sure.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

https://twitter.com/WindowsUpdate/status/1225137751223259136

? Not sure if that was it, seems like it was at least a year ago.

There are a bunch of posts from people who are still having the issue and there are fixes from restarting Cortana to modifying registry keys? I haven't really had it happen so I'm not sure.

Disable cortana and you get the good old local search function iirc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you're having problems with Search, your Indexer is probably broken and you need to clear the cache and have it rebuild.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I still routinely have search not work on machines that were installed with a different language, then swapped to english.

Searching "panel sterowania" works, searching "control panel" 0 results, after installing the English language pack and setting it to all default. Unsure if this problem is related to the "doesn't work at all 0 results even on native english iso", though

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

it seems like if Win 10 has to use any amount of paging file on a magnetic HDD it just has a loving heart attack.
Are you sure you're not just used to SSDs? Even back in the late Windows 7 days I remember finding anything with spinning rust to be unbearable after a year or so of SSD ownership, unless it had enough RAM to not just handle the system needs but also cache commonly used apps.

Hitting swap on a hard drive just plain sucks no matter what. With a SSD it's still bad, but it's shocking how much we used to be willing to put up with.

Biowarfare posted:

I still routinely have search not work on machines that were installed with a different language, then swapped to english.

Searching "panel sterowania" works, searching "control panel" 0 results, after installing the English language pack and setting it to all default. Unsure if this problem is related to the "doesn't work at all 0 results even on native english iso", though
I'd bet that's also related to the index, it was built in the original language and hasn't rebuilt after the change. I would not be surprised if the same rebuild that fixes other issues also handles this for you.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

windows search....... thank u

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Yo Windows10 is loving stupid as bricks when it comes to paging.

I've had TWO occasions where my main machine (which has a bunch of SSDs and single mechanical) chose the god drat mechanical when the primary SSD got low on space.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Weedle posted:

windows search....... thank u

Lol

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ziploc posted:

Yo Windows10 is loving stupid as bricks when it comes to paging.

I've had TWO occasions where my main machine (which has a bunch of SSDs and single mechanical) chose the god drat mechanical when the primary SSD got low on space.

This would be the kind of situation where you manually configure your paging file locations, or just ditch the mechanical drive.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

dragonshardz posted:

This would be the kind of situation where you manually configure your paging file locations, or just ditch the mechanical drive.

This is the kind of situation where the OS could do literally a 15 second speed test on the drives to pick the next best one. Instead of picking the biggest loving drive.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dragonshardz posted:

And add more RAM!

My desktop is maxed out at 16GB and my laptop at 8GB, and I wish I could add more.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

And add more RAM!

My desktop is maxed out at 16GB and my laptop at 8GB, and I wish I could add more.

What desktop do you have that maxes out at 16??

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I think old Dell 790s could only take up to 16 gb

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sfwarlock posted:

What desktop do you have that maxes out at 16??

ASRock Socket AM3 mobo with a Phenom II X6 1100T :q:

The mobo is the limiting factor, the cpu can handle 32GB, but this setup has been rock solid for almost a decade, and I'd rather just keep it running and do a proper new build some day in the future. Now that I've moved all the disks to a DIY NAS, the big ATX case feels empty with just a single SSD in there, so the next build will be micro-ATX or mini-ITX, nice and compact.

I've got a Radeon RX560 in it, and it runs GTA V at 50-60FPS at 1080P max details, which is plenty for the games I play. And it is kinda fun to see just how long I can keep using it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 12, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We block most ad networks etc. Great, we're stopping spam and whatnot.

Here's the problem. When users search for poo poo with Google, some of the poo poo is an ad (most of the top results) and it breaks that.

Thoughts?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Force update everyone's default search engine to be duckduckgo?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Recruiter: May I ask what your current salary is?
Me: xx/yr
Recruiter: This position will be zz/yr is that would okay?

FIFTEEN THOUSAND LESS

This is the guy that was going to call me back ten minutes ago, last week. He's going to talk to his manager and call me back in a half hour. So probably 4 weeks.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Straight up say no.

Also don't disclose your current salary to recruiters/HR.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Straight up say no.

Also don't disclose your current salary to recruiters/HR.

I told him what I would need to switch jobs. Basically 10-15k more depending on benefits.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Steakandchips posted:

don't disclose your current salary to recruiters/HR.

A thousand times this.

I'm currently on the job hunt, and there is no way in hell any recruiter or HR person will ever learn my current salary. If they're not serious about hiring me, they may as well stop wasting my time.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

A thousand times this.

I'm currently on the job hunt, and there is no way in hell any recruiter or HR person will ever learn my current salary. If they're not serious about hiring me, they may as well stop wasting my time.

I know many of us in these threads may already know this, but if anyone doesn't know, and wants a good in-depth review of why you never disclose first, see this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3768531

As I've learned after losing my job 2 weeks ago, finding a job and selling yourself to companies is just as much of a skill as system administration or anything else. Get the money you deserve.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

We block most ad networks etc. Great, we're stopping spam and whatnot.

Here's the problem. When users search for poo poo with Google, some of the poo poo is an ad (most of the top results) and it breaks that.

preload ublock origin?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

gently caress OpenGraph data, Facebook Pixel, and other poo poo in meta tags. It should not be this hard to figure out what the id field needs to named.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

lol i get to manually fix 700 records tomorrow because someone higher on the totem pole than me went in and tinkered while i was on vacation and no-one has the clout to tell them "no, the only way to make this work is if you put it back to how it was before" and the vendor won't run a batch script to fix the records

wonder if there's a way to get them on record as saying "this repetitive task is a good use of a full day of Chicken's $80k salary, i accept that she won't be able to do anything else while she's fixing these records, i am okay with my emails and tickets going unanswered tomorrow. making her manually change one field in 700 records is a better solution than things not being set up exactly how i want them."

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

[dilbertvoice]It takes just a day? You aren't dragging your heels hard enough. Fixing this is gonna take a week, minimum! [/dilbertvoice]

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

$40/hr * 8 is $320. I hate to say it but making you spend an entire day on a menial task is probably cheaper than a single ticket with your vendor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

lol i get to manually fix 700 records tomorrow because someone higher on the totem pole than me went in and tinkered while i was on vacation and no-one has the clout to tell them "no, the only way to make this work is if you put it back to how it was before" and the vendor won't run a batch script to fix the records

wonder if there's a way to get them on record as saying "this repetitive task is a good use of a full day of Chicken's $80k salary, i accept that she won't be able to do anything else while she's fixing these records, i am okay with my emails and tickets going unanswered tomorrow. making her manually change one field in 700 records is a better solution than things not being set up exactly how i want them."

I hate doing dumb simple poo poo that isn’t my job but I get paid the same either way.

Pickup sandwiches for a meeting because the admin assistant isn’t here today? Sure. I’ll also take a sandwich thanks.

Help the front desk lady put up a Christmas tree? Whatever. She drinks at work, I’ll have a Yeti cup of wine too.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
"You are now in charge of our video conference infrastructure, and are going to be the lead SME on them."
"Ok, here are some things I'd like to do."
"No. Focus on this other thing first."
"Ok, but I can do that, and this other thing, plus work with people to help them better use these."
"Again no, only do this thing."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I hate doing dumb simple poo poo that isn’t my job but I get paid the same either way.

Pickup sandwiches for a meeting because the admin assistant isn’t here today? Sure. I’ll also take a sandwich thanks.

Help the front desk lady put up a Christmas tree? Whatever. She drinks at work, I’ll have a Yeti cup of wine too.

No thanks. I don't look down on anyone cleaning toilets, but it's not what I want to do and if I spend all day cleaning toilets, I'm not keeping up with technology. I will absolutely refuse to do things that won't benefit me or my career, and if that's a problem, I'll happily find a new job.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Internet Explorer posted:

No thanks. I don't look down on anyone cleaning toilets, but it's not what I want to do and if I spend all day cleaning toilets, I'm not keeping up with technology. I will absolutely refuse to do things that won't benefit me or my career, and if that's a problem, I'll happily find a new job.

I was hired at this new job to do devops and automation. I've been blocked and handicapped at every turn. I've spent the last two weeks setting up the few internal pet applications that my team owns to run over HTTPS instead of HTTP. With one year expiry non-ACME certs. Unless something tragic ("tragic") happens in the next few days, I'm giving notice on Monday.

The first thing I did was suggest they get vCenter so I could automate VM creation on-prem for their 15 hosts with local storage. They got a starter pack license that supports 3 hosts and doesn't allow vMotions and won't buy any more licenses or new hardware to consolidate. All the hosts are already at capacity for RAM, so I can't build anything new, and even if I did, it's phase gated behind a manual process in which an IT person asks for VM owners to voluntarily give up some of their allocated RAM.

The second thing I did was pitch an automated test pipeline in AWS. I dramatically scaled back my expectations of that team after it took 3 weeks and two developers to give me an installer that didn't require clicking. Then I just stopped attending standups and doing any work for them after it became clear that they weren't willing to allocate any further dev time to clear any other blockers

The third thing was to build an updated automated deployment process of a worst-practices architected webapp (single point of failure, manual DB backups, hardcoded credentials, etc). I've been waiting almost a month for the developer who owns it to do a thing he needs to do before we can schedule a maintenance window for implementation

All of which is to say I really don't like this job, and I've been counting down the days until I give notice for a while. Life's too short to waste doing something painful, especially for privileged computer touchers.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 14, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good for you. Good luck finding a better place.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Come on be a team player

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Happiness Commando posted:

I was hired at this new job to do devops and automation. I've been blocked and handicapped at every turn. I've spent the last two weeks setting up the few internal pet applications that my team owns to run over HTTPS instead of HTTP. With one year expiry non-ACME certs. Unless something tragic ("tragic") happens in the next few days, I'm giving notice on Monday.

The first thing I did was suggest they get vCenter so I could automate VM creation on-prem for their 15 hosts with local storage. They got a starter pack license that supports 3 hosts and doesn't allow vMotions and won't buy any more licenses or new hardware to consolidate. All the hosts are already at capacity for RAM, so I can't build anything new, and even if I did, it's phase gated behind a manual process in which an IT person asks for VM owners to voluntarily give up some of their allocated RAM.

The second thing I did was pitch an automated test pipeline in AWS. I dramatically scaled back my expectations of that team after it took 3 weeks and two developers to give me an installer that didn't require clicking. Then I just stopped attending standups and doing any work for them after it became clear that they weren't willing to allocate any further dev time to clear any other blockers

The third thing was to build an updated automated deployment process of a worst-practices architected webapp (single point of failure, manual DB backups, hardcoded credentials, etc). I've been waiting almost a month for the developer who owns it to do a thing he needs to do before we can schedule a maintenance window for implementation

All of which is to say I really don't like this job, and I've been counting down the days until I give notice for a while. Life's too short to waste doing something painful, especially for privileged computer touchers.

I am rooting for you. Good luck :yotj:ing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm not going to quit over this, but work has decided to roll back most of it's WFH policies already now that mostly everyone got their shot.

I've already asked and they still want people to remain in their offices and use chat vs in person discussion and meetings. What is the loving point?