Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

At this point "save a life: shoot a cop" is a more valid world view than "the cops protect you from *anything*"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is it possible to take the two-minute hate to another thread?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Thread from Unicorn Riot of the expert witness testimony from the Chauvin defense. Some real vile poo poo if you feel like reading through.
https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1382035967876337665?s=19

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is it possible to take the two-minute hate to another thread?

"MuH PoStInG DeCoRuM!"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Thread from Unicorn Riot of the expert witness testimony from the Chauvin defense. Some real vile poo poo if you feel like reading through.
https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1382035967876337665?s=19

"MuH PoStInG DeCoRuM!"

https://twitter.com/ur_ninja/status/1382042979024605184?s=21

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"As you can see, the officer feels really terrible about kill that guy by kneeling on his neck!"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Higher levels of force they choose not to select? They loving killed the guy! What were the other choices, cutting him off from the Force or wiping his soul from existence?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Is "two-minute" a code word for cops?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CainFortea posted:

Is "two-minute" a code word for cops?

No, it’s one thousand nine hundred and eighty four percent not a code word for cops.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1382074949687406593?s=19

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Meshka posted:

Police serve a crucial role within a civilized society? I don’t want to be armed when I go outside every time so I don’t get robbed in broad daylight?

Listen jack if we're talking about some kinda well-regulated militia that literally exists specifically to protect us from banditry or whatever, I'm all for that, but the police exist to protect the property of the ruling class and to control and enforce geographies that make a ruling class possible in the first place

just rip all that bullshit out imo, shits just wired up all wrong you're not gonna fix it

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
while we're here I'd just like to remind everyone that the courts at all levels in the US have affirmed that cops have no duty to protect you up to and including just sitting there watching someone else attack you.

they. are. not. there. to. help. you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Proud Christian Mom posted:

while we're here I'd just like to remind everyone that the courts at all levels in the US have affirmed that cops have no duty to protect you up to and including just sitting there watching someone else attack you.

This is part of what makes the Meshka posts so amusing

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

This is part of what makes the Meshka posts so amusing

Let’s move on from them now though. Everyone’s agreed that all cops are bad.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Door still open for Meshka to respond to all these very reasonable questions?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Just go read Facebook comments, you’ll get the same argument. This dogpile is over.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Meshka has never read a fable he didn't understand completely

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

KirbyKhan posted:

Door still open for Meshka to respond to all these very reasonable questions?

What questions though? Iceland, as close as you can probably get to an utopian society, still experiences violent crime. Some people are inherently violent and will prey on others. Some social worker is not going to stop that.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Meshka posted:

What questions though? Iceland, as close as you can probably get to an utopian society, still experiences violent crime. Some people are inherently violent and will prey on others. Some social worker is not going to stop that.

Why are you so afraid of what is outside of your home? And why are cops the only thing keeping that fear from being a reality?

You specifically said you would have to be armed to go outside if cops weren’t around, so this seems like a reasonable question to me.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Meshka posted:

neither is a cop

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
*Sees coverage of police harassing, assaulting, and murdering people*

You know what we need more of that will protect me from the constant threat of violence I feel? More police.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This argument is as boring as this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYwaWngXRqU

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

boop the snoot posted:

Why are you so afraid of what is outside of your home? And why are cops the only thing keeping that fear from being a reality?

You specifically said you would have to be armed to go outside if cops weren’t around, so this seems like a reasonable question to me.

Lets assume your hypothetical world where law enforcement does not exist. Do you believe that everyone will act in the beat interests of society and others? Will some social worker go and have a chat every time some guy beats his wife? Assuming that all people are inherently good and will act that way without an enforcement mechanism is child like view of the world.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Meshka posted:

Lets assume your hypothetical world where law enforcement does not exist. Do you believe that everyone will act in the beat interests of society and others? Will some social worker go and have a chat every time some guy beats his wife? Assuming that all people are inherently good and will act that way without an enforcement mechanism is child like view of the world.

You said if cops weren’t around you would have to be armed.

So you’re basing this assumption on something you’ve made up in your head and not based on any actual experiences that you have had?

You’re not going to dodge my question with what if’s, dude.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I know that when we abolish police, the municipal, state, and federal funds that were going to the police are just magically gone and can't be used for social programs that help people.

Just a hundred billion dollars a year will disappear from this country.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Meshka posted:

Lets assume your hypothetical world where law enforcement does not exist. Do you believe that everyone will act in the beat interests of society and others?

Okay, first off:
Cops OVERWHELMINGLY apply the law unevenly to allow this to already happen. White privilege allows white people to do some outright absurd stuff with little to no consequences, and cops are most often the one utilizing that white privilege to inhibit the rights of minorities and people of color.

Cops DO NOT enforce the "best interest of society" unless you are openly admitting that the best interest of society is murdering Americans in their cars, on their streets, brutalizing them, oppressing them, and jailing them for minor infractions. If you think guns are going to save you, you should probably already being carrying, because those not acting in the best interests are already here. They wear uniforms.

The best interest of society was apparently kneeling on a Black Americans neck till he died and spraying a United States Military officer in the face with mace and threatening him.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 13, 2021

brains
May 12, 2004

Meshka posted:

i don't really care about this conversation but picking the threat of domestic violence in particular as your example of why police are needed is just :discourse:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

Okay, first off:
Cops OVERWHELMINGLY apply the law unevenly to allow this to already happen. White privilege allows white people to do some outright absurd stuff with little to no consequences, and cops are most often the one utilizing that white privilege to inhibit the rights of minorities and people of color.

Cops DO NOT enforce the "best interest of society" unless you are openly admitting that the best interest of society is murdering Americans in their cars, on their streets, brutalizing them, oppressing them, and jailing them for minor infractions. If you think guns are going to save you, you should probably already being carrying, because those not acting in the best interests are already here. They wear uniforms.

Yeah but have you seen Iceland?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Let's let up on the dogpile, but I would definitely like Meshka to respond to this:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

And to also maybe answer the questions posed directly.

brains
May 12, 2004

Yeah but have you seen Iceland?

to be fair, the former ambassador to iceland felt the same way

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Meshka posted:

If you actually want to continue discussing this you should probably pull out objective research and statistics supporting your position. Until then, this sounds like the dumb sheepdog thing.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

McNally posted:

Let's let up on the dogpile, but I would definitely like Meshka to respond to this:

And to also maybe answer the questions posed directly.

I do not agree with the court decision, it should be the opposite. There are millions of police interactions every year, you do not hear when it is routine or positive, you only hear about gently caress ups. I would argue that they are net positive by a huge margin.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Meshka posted:

I do not agree with the court decision, it should be the opposite. There are millions of police interactions every year, you do not hear when it is routine or positive, you only hear about gently caress ups. I would argue that they are net positive by a huge margin.

holy poo poo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Meshka posted:

The police are a terrible enforcement mechanism, especially on your example of domestic violence. Who pointed a gun at you? Have you even ever been threatened? I will go and beat them up for threatening my posting buddy and show you that you can never trust the police, only trust your fists.

Also yes, hiring someone to tell wife beaters they're peices of poo poo and informing the abused spouse that getting beat isn't normal or right. If poo poo escalates because of ~human nature~ then the first responder de-escelates and disengages. Thats when the second responder comes in strapped.

The point is that nobody needs to have a gun pointed at their heads just to say "Hello, what is your deal and why was I called?"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
i don't even know what the gently caress

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Meshka posted:

Wow we don’t hear about the police doing their jobs the right way that’s incredible

And just yesterday I gave the guy who did my taxes a party and took a full page ad out congratulating him.

You want a thank you for doing your job? As Don Draper said, THATS WHAT THE MONEY IS FOR.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Meshka posted:

You're a cop, aren't you.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Everybody shut the gently caress up.

Have an oversized cat picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

McNally posted:

holy poo poo

I am not saying everything is great, large and DoJ mandated reforms are absolutely needed. But you cant say things like we do not need law enforcement, it is needed in every society in all time periods. Model something new using some European practices, but it will take a long time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Meshka posted:

I am not saying everything is great, large and DoJ mandated reforms are absolutely needed. But you cant say things like we do not need law enforcement, it is needed in every society in all time periods. Model something new using some European practices, but it will take a long time.

You cannot reform a system built from the ground up to expressly enforce racist ideals of justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

McNally posted:

holy poo poo

Do you see why we dogpile McNally?

I will ask my question again in a slightly reworded way in hopes of maybe getting an answer. Have you ever been the subject of a robbery or violence that a police officer has stopped?