Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah snl feels like an older millennial/gen x thing at this point. They do still hire young talent and get them famous though, so I’m sure it’s still a desirable enough place to kickstart a career. Not really sure if any of the current cast is popping in a broad sense though...maybe it feels like Bowen Yang is having a bit of a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

One thing I feel ya pick up from listening to enough comedy-world podcasts (specifically Conan in my case) is that SNL is an abusive environment that generally sucks, but the people who endured that and it worked out for look back on fondly. Kind of like Middle School. Sounds terribly mentally taxing for anyone who doesn't find their niche. Tho I the clout seems to pay off.

Warbird posted:

I can’t believe Dale made them read that ad copy.

Also the best McElroy did a new thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdVgPCM5wEk

The best McElory. He's also got a podcast with his sister and roommate called 'Let's Make a Music' that's along these lines to a degree. Good premise of taking relatively goofy prompts and writing straight-faced songs on those – https://letsmakeamusic.com/letsmakeamusic/2021/2/22/wake-up-for-big-veg-lmam-12

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Most current gen comedians have come out of UCB than older theatres like Second City that fed more into the SNL thing. So most comedy people are doing stuff on Youtube/podcasts and networking that way, more in LA than NY, especially since SNL has kept losing relevance. Pete Davidson may be its last breakout star, and even then who knows how far he goes. He and Kate Mckinnon were pretty prominent in movies for like a year and then kind of faded.

And even UCB was hit hard by the pandemic and the owners loving over everyone below them, so who knows where comedians will come from next. We may get a generation like BDG who find and build their own audience rather than going through whatever loose comedy hierarchy exists.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I guess it depends what you want to do. If you want to make your living off podcasting and youtube videos then you don’t need the traditional avenues and that seems plenty lucrative, at least right now. If you want to be in movies and tv it seems like you still have to subject yourself to the usual routes.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Tears In A Vial posted:

havent listened for a few weeks, so im doing a catchup. the bit where they've put a coin in the jar for every This is very good.

I was super disappointed at the ones that they missed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do people Brian’s age care about snl? I’m old enough (36) that a lot of my friends who did comedy/acting stuff when they were Brian’s age had “get on snl” as a goal but I feel like that show has been coasting for long enough that younger generations don’t give a poo poo about it

I’m not basing this on anything it just feels like a smart thing to say so I’m going for it

I vaguely remember people liking some SNL bits when I was in high school, like Celebrity Jeopardy, but the idea that anyone under 35 would think of SNL today as some aspirational pinnacle of comedy is baffling. A mostly lame and cringey topical comedy show that occasionally has some bit that hits the public consciousness seems like a relic of the pre-internet days. It's been pointed out by lots of people that social media and online meme culture basically made SNL irrelevant. If something funny or newsworthy happens, everyone in the world has gone through the whole cycle online of all the obvious jokes being made several times over and wearing out their welcome by the time Saturday rolls around and SNL... makes a low-effort sketch using the obvious jokes about the thing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Colonel Whitey posted:

I guess it depends what you want to do. If you want to make your living off podcasting and youtube videos then you don’t need the traditional avenues and that seems plenty lucrative, at least right now.

To devil's advocate this, trying to make a living solely off of podcasting and youtube is still a hell of a crapshoot. BDG can only do what he does cause he worked at Polygon for long while and got a huge boost from making good stuff, but also also making good stuff for a company that marketed his stuff. McElory's are a slight exception as they're the one in a million folks that built an audience from nothing, but any platform that's a traditional avenue is still gonna be a huge boon.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

People focus a lot on snl’s topical humor but that’s never been its best material, the funny parts of the show are the weird sketches and characters they come up with that have nothing to do with the news. It doesn’t help that they keep doing these dumb, unfunny cold opens that are always the worst part of the show and give the entire show a bad rep.

Granted, the sketches they’ve been doing the last 5 or so years haven’t been very funny either.

E:^sure, but a career in entertainment is a crapshoot regardless. All things being equal and starting from scratch, I’m not sure you’re any more likely to be successful either way.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 13, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Srice posted:

SNL is firmly targeting the MSNBC demographic these days, as evidenced by the fact that they did a musical number praising Mueller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQFvf19Jec

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Lonely Island was the last good SNL content and even then it was SNL being a vessel to serve their comedy. Make some good poo poo for YouTube and you can go far.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Colonel Whitey posted:

E:^sure, but a career in entertainment is a crapshoot regardless. All things being equal and starting from scratch, I’m not sure you’re any more likely to be successful either way.

Eh, I mean there's no hard numbers on this, but having a company w/ a social team pushing your stuff to accounts with near a million followers and multiple other contributors/colleagues supporting you certainly helps to some extent.

The jokes in the latest episode about cowboys was very good. Griffin's tired casual dominance of the poop game was also just delightful.

The quiet "I don't think it is" in response to "Is Yahoo Answers going to heaven?" also very good.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 14, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh poo poo, I thought "nude tane" in the moment exactly before Travis said it.

What's happened to me?

:(

oh god

No..

Nooooo

:haw:

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

there's something inherently funny about a thread that puts a spotlight on: a) the internet content creator with maybe the best outlook re: protecting his audience from parasociality, protecting himself from his audience, and generally having good boundaries and sense of self-awareness, and b) the McElroys

anyways BDG has a beautiful singing voice and if he dropped out of the video game scene to develop that I wouldn't mind at all

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
SNL has also gotten out of control with close-ups on goofy faces and it feels like the actors now corpse in half the skits.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

catgirlgenius posted:

there's something inherently funny about a thread that puts a spotlight on: a) the internet content creator with maybe the best outlook re: protecting his audience from parasociality, protecting himself from his audience, and generally having good boundaries and sense of self-awareness, and b) the McElroys

anyways BDG has a beautiful singing voice and if he dropped out of the video game scene to develop that I wouldn't mind at all

Hes done some more music. this came up randomly on spotify once and i was extremely confused

https://youtu.be/hZmaoIyE7xo

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh poo poo, I thought "nude tane" in the moment exactly before Travis said it.
you and me both

Sankara posted:

I'm not sure I've ever met someone who likes SNL. Or at least, if they did, they never brought it up.
I like SNL, though maybe in the way a fan of a mediocre sports team who follows all the players and goes to all the games but doesn't expect them to win.

George H.W. oval office posted:

The Lonely Island was the last good SNL content and even then it was SNL being a vessel to serve their comedy. Make some good poo poo for YouTube and you can go far.
I think any episode of SNL has 0-2 skits that are worth watching, particularly the pre-tapes. Maybe it's not a great hit rate but over a whole season it adds up.

Totinos skits

Romano Tours

Undercover Boss - Starkiller Base

Sports Announcer

Career Day

Diner Lobster

That's The Game

They've also had a lot of success with songs

Permission

Slow

Loco

Weird Little Flute

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

What was the Steven king poo pun? They're all talking over it

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Tears In A Vial posted:

You didn't miss much, it was poo poo

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tears In A Vial posted:

poo poo, in place of It, I believe.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

ohhhh. right, yeah. Cheers gang.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

some plague rats posted:

Maybe some CBD guys can buy ad time and finally heal the old wounds

Maxfun actually did have a CBD ad on another podcast a couple weeks ago. I trust the host and actually ordered some, and it really has helped!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Auditioning for SNL is the endpoint for improv / sketch comedy multi-level marketing scheme food chain, mostly because it's the biggest sketch comedy game in town. Once you're at the top of the pyramid and tire of training other people, you either audition for SNL or try to get hired by a smaller outfit.

Self-publishing content and hoping it gains enough steam to get sponsorship / Patreon money is a place for everyone else that's been a part of that system to go.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 14, 2021

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.
I listened to this week's MBMBAM and didn't hear the Upstart ad. The money zone ads were for Warby Parker and Zip Recruiter. I guess they pulled it?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Maxfun actually did have a CBD ad on another podcast a couple weeks ago. I trust the host and actually ordered some, and it really has helped!

If it's the same company that advertises on HRR, then the ad copy is usually pretty careful about not making medical claims. They just say that it's helpful in calming you down and maybe even helping you sleep. The problem with the mall storefront was that it was making medicinal claims right on the window, including, IIRC, cancer treatment.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Jumley posted:

I listened to this week's MBMBAM and didn't hear the Upstart ad. The money zone ads were for Warby Parker and Zip Recruiter. I guess they pulled it?

it was on taz

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hustle Hound posted:

it was on taz

little need to worry about audiences hearing it then got em

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.

Hustle Hound posted:

it was on taz

Well, that explains it. For the record, I enjoyed Graduation but couldn't keep up with it during the pandemic (and the recaps at the beginning meant I had to remove it from automatically adding to my queue. I was getting spoiled when I missed eps). Obviously not better than Balance or Amnesty, but Justin and Griffin's characters were funny enough and there were plenty of good moments. Whichever poster said earlier that they were taking the story way too seriously was right. Not every campaign needs to be a giant epic. The best parts of Graduation are when the characters push against the rules of the world.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

after a while my favourite bits became the trips to the moon between quests when they just dicked around and annoyed garfield

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There were two good episodes, the one where the firbolg takes his first accounting class, and the one where they take the information gathering class. And then they never went to class again

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

There were two good episodes, the one where the firbolg takes his first accounting class, and the one where they take the information gathering class. And then they never went to class again

There's definitely an alternate world where the classes figure heavily into the campaign with a grading mechanic, and they need to get a certain GPA to get access to some sort of special room in order to advance the plot or something at the start, nice and low stakes. It's a much better world imo

Could even have slight of hand checks for passing notes with answers and such

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

they should just advertise RAID SHADOW LEGENDS because the money's probably good and everyone will know they didn't play it, because no one who advertises RAID SHADOW LEGENDS has ever touched it, and anyone who looks at it knows its trash

Mobile games famously require full rigid adherence to the ad copy. The McElroys wouldn't make a single red cent from RAID SHADOW LEGENDS.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

There's definitely an alternate world where the classes figure heavily into the campaign with a grading mechanic, and they need to get a certain GPA to get access to some sort of special room in order to advance the plot or something at the start, nice and low stakes. It's a much better world imo

Could even have slight of hand checks for passing notes with answers and such

There's a guy on Reddit who's been posting long-form friendly critiques of Graduation from the lense of an experienced DM talking to less-experienced DMs, and he had the idea of doing a Chrono Trigger-style opening sequence where the players are given a series of tasks to perform. Based on the actions of the players, the DM would then assign the players to the hero or villain schools. He outlined it a lot further, but it actually sounded more interesting and dynamic (while still being easy for a new DM to work with). The problem was that Travis definitely had the game laid out pretty rigidly and I think he didn't realize that what he had planned was going to take as long as it did.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pennsylvanian posted:

There's a guy on Reddit who's been posting long-form friendly critiques of Graduation from the lense of an experienced DM talking to less-experienced DMs,

Read this sentence and felt my eyes physically glaze over

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That’s actually a good idea though

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

some plague rats posted:

Read this sentence and felt my eyes physically glaze over

you should try reading past the fifth word and it's a good idea

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

you should try reading past the fifth word and it's a good idea

I read up to the 12th word and it got worse

If anyone links it I'll read them, god help me

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

The funniest SNL thing was that it spent 4 years portraying itself as the most important bastion of the #resistance. Then their big election night victory lap episode was pushed back to 2 A.M. because of football.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Who actually watches broadcast/cable TV anymore? Is it even still a thing? I don't genuinely know.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Entropic posted:

Who actually watches broadcast/cable TV anymore? Is it even still a thing? I don't genuinely know.

Parents, people in suburbs.

SNL and what not is on Youtube tho now, and lord knows someone's probably pitched a streaming service that's just new and old SNL stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Pretty sure all of snl is free on peacock, you just have to wait a few days to watch the newest episode