Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Now lemme stop you right there, video games are not art. The late great roger ebert once said...

Gonna use this post as an excuse to post the best worst tweet of all time.

ButterSkeleton posted:

For those who fall under a specific condition where easy mode will compensate for their disability, this is nice, but it's also going to be an excuse for people like game journalist types to play through a game faster and write an article sooner. It's also a way for people to have to think less.

It's like when there's steps and a ramp. People are likely to take the ramp instead of the stairs, even though it designed for disabled people to use. People will choose the ramp for themselves, even though they're in perfectly capable ability to take the stairs, to make their day easier...even though, again, it's designed to accommodate those who need it.

:lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

John Murdoch posted:

Thinking about all those people who have only read the abridged or annotated versions of books or read them in a classroom setting and I'm getting so mad that they experienced literature on easy mode instead of as intended.

d-drat! this guy is tough ... !
in order to win this fight, i can't be predictable, so ... i will counter his bad analogy with one of my own!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archer666 posted:

Homestuck was one of those that I read out of curiosity despite it not grabbing me, then it grabbed me hard around act 2 and then the endless waits for new content killed my interest again.

Regardless, some of the music produced for it are absolute bangers.

Yeah. I was hooked hard for a while until I realized that the story I thought the comic was telling wasn't actually and that I honestly didn't have anywhere near Hussie's interest in 'canon' and 'meta' as concepts.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Genthil posted:

Gonna use this post as an excuse to post the best worst tweet of all time.

The best worst tweet of all time is still this imo

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/2554608773

I still can't believe he never deleted it :allears:

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
[david lynch voice] if you're reading the abridged version of Moby Dick, without the chapter on squeezing sperm, you will never in a million years experience the book. you may think you have experienced it, but you’ll be cheated… get real.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The craziest part of the Sarah Z Homestuck odyssey is how she keeps drinking the windex-colored Faygo, even after commenting to herself several times how horrible it is.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ivypls posted:

has an artist ever put a ninja warrior obstacle course between their artwork and the audience, i think that would be both hilarious and the only meaningful point of comparison between video game difficulty and barriers in appreciating other forms of art and media. or maybe a movie that stops playing until you solve a difficult math problem
the industry jargon is quick-time events.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

(thinking harder than I ever have in my entire life)
Okay, imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff, labeled "Very Easy", "Easy", "Normal" and "Hard". Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. Art works the same way

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

People fishmeching by just reading the wikipedia article and then acting like they've watched something are genuinely infuriating.

It'll make you quite popular in a certain subforum devoted to moving pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA3nURJWP2Q

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BigRed0427 posted:

Homestuck is one of those things I always wanted to try but never did

I thought I'd sit down and read through as soon as it finished... back in 2015. Now I guess it's actually done* but there's so much of it that it feels impossible to pick up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ivypls posted:

has an artist ever put a ninja warrior obstacle course between their artwork and the audience, i think that would be both hilarious and the only meaningful point of comparison between video game difficulty and barriers in appreciating other forms of art and media. or maybe a movie that stops playing until you solve a difficult math problem

yes, there's an entire museum in my city dedicated to this kind of art

one time there was a rotting plate of soup with a cord hanging out of it on display, I can't remember anything from the added essay by the artist explaining the meaning, but I do remember I found it incomprehensible

would have been neat if that artwork had come with an easy mode, but alas

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Lots of movies and books have puzzles of a sort built into them, in the form of things like symbolism and subtext that aren’t spelled out to the audience. This sort of thing is generally considered good, even if it disadvantages lazy or stupid people like Doug Walker who end up not understanding it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Homestuck is one of those things I always wanted to try but never did

I made like 100 pages into it and the actual story still hadn't even started yet and went "gently caress this" and never went back to it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
there are a lot of concurrent arguments people are having right now in ~the discourse~ that boil down to "how much, and what, is a text allowed to ask from its audience" and i think that there's a lot of meat on that bone. i can't really handle certain types of gore or horror so i can't really watch a lot of cronenberg movies even though everything I've heard about them makes me think I'd like them. Is that an issue of accessibility? I could push through if I wanted to, but it would take a sizeable amount of effort. But it's not like I value "the ability to stomach gore" as a skill i want to learn. I don't care for it in the first place.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just read Problem Sleuth instead.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Libluini posted:

one time there was a rotting plate of soup with a cord hanging out of it on display, I can't remember anything from the added essay by the artist explaining the meaning, but I do remember I found it incomprehensible

that whips rear end and thank you for being the only person to actually answer my question

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Libluini posted:

you can pretty much assume that installation art is about Entropy. plate of cold spagety? Entropy. giant crater in the floor? Entropy. video displays with a bunch of guys with mustaches making expressions? u bet its Entropy

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I spent years getting Homestuck and Homestar Runner mixed up and I guess I should actually watch that video so I can finally learn what it actually is.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TGLT posted:

But I don't think there's any ambush or trap in those games that doesn't have some sort of advance warning. Or doesn't let you just rotate the camera to see the dipshit next to the door.

DS2 is full of enemies placed in such obscure corners that they might as well have airdropped from the loving moon. In the good ones you can mostly see poo poo coming if you're careful and observant, but there's still the occasional thing like the skeleton hiding in a nook who kicks you off the ledge on the way down to Nito, where no reasonable amount of observation would have saved you.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
The thing about Homestuck is that it's literally just a western shonen series. It's long, it has too many characters and arcs to sum up succinctly to a layman, by the time it ends you realize it really should have ended like three seasons back, there's a loving time skip post-series following everyone and their kids that's completely unnecessary but you read the initial series and liked that well enough, so you shrug and keep up with it, much in the same way you stay facebook friends with somebody you haven't seen or engaged with since high school but still get a vicarious thrill out of updates from juuust often enough to keep them on. Also much like a shonen series the premise grabs people either very intensely or not at all

The only reason the fan base is more infamous than something like Naruto or One Piece is because the story itself is, quite literally, Terminally Online

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So here's my question about Doug and the wall. Do you think he will ever try something like that again?

Also. The gently caress is Satellite City.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 14, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Probably. If he had any kind of self reflection or hindsight he wouldn't keep making the same mistakes over and over for fifteen years.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I got into Problem Sleuth shortly before it ended, caught up and stayed with it to the end. Followed Homestuck for about six months then dropped it at the first big animated cutscene thing when I realised it was completely unbearable. So yeah, Western shonen sounds about right.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

BigRed0427 posted:

So here's my question about Doug and the wall. Do you think he will ever try something like that again?

Based on what I know about the man I would wager that he knows the Wall thing was a mistake, but he probably has the wrong idea about why it was a mistake.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

BigRed0427 posted:

The wall video isnt even the first vid like this Doug has made! His Moulin Rouge video, which had Brental Floss and Lindsay Ellis in it(lol), was basically the wall video but shorter and a 7 dollar budget lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean The Wall video got Doug a ton of attention and presumably clicks, why not do something like it again? Anybody who's still a fan of his at this point ain't stopping any time soon, so all showing his rear end would do is potentially draw in some new clicks from voyeurs interested in how badly he beefed it this time round.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Dan Olsen's fulfilled his Patreon goal of commenting on the failure of Doug's The Wall video.

https://youtu.be/rokAtlFGa7Y

I hope the jump in patreon money was worth having to watch that thing. I’m instantly exhausted by having to sit through the clips in this video. It’s obvious that Doug has no idea how to watch a movie.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Just a heads up I heard some rumblings from people involved in that scene that Sarah Z vid gets one sided in the latter portions. Specifically one-sided assessment of the epilogue and following works while ignoring the harassment that influenced them though in the trauma sense(and aparrently that they're misblaimed for the original creators decisions by others at the time) and how it impacted their work.

I haven't watched it yet nor read these so it's not like i have a decision in this fight. That being said there are valid reasons to dislike these works but an historian(even an amutauer one) can do that without leaving behind the fact the creators of said art got a raw deal. Could be mere conflation but if it's not it would be a shame and out of character of her given her acknowledgement of how hard content creators deal with criticism and her insistentence of nuance in her videos.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

The wall video isnt even the first vid like this Doug has made! His Moulin Rouge video, which had Brental Floss and Lindsay Ellis in it(lol), was basically the wall video but shorter and a 7 dollar budget lol

The only thing I know about Brental Floss is he made a video called What if Civilization Had Lyrics?

The song already had lyrics (the Lord's Prayer in Swahili) and won a Grammy.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The only thing I know about Brental Floss is he made a video called What if Civilization Had Lyrics?

The song already had lyrics (the Lord's Prayer in Swahili) and won a Grammy.

I use to listen to the podcast he and Travis McElroy did covering current events.

It was ok.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I still can't parse the parry window on this Dickens novel. Can someone post a video guide for me?

Jamie Faith posted:

Oh boy, Brental Floss has collabed with Channel Awesome and a McElroy???

https://twitter.com/draculavoice/status/1328091122154033155

https://twitter.com/draculavoice/status/1328148953976754176
(Drawn by Andrew Dobson)

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Dabir posted:

DS2 is full of enemies placed in such obscure corners that they might as well have airdropped from the loving moon. In the good ones you can mostly see poo poo coming if you're careful and observant, but there's still the occasional thing like the skeleton hiding in a nook who kicks you off the ledge on the way down to Nito, where no reasonable amount of observation would have saved you.

If i remember correctly you can absolutely see the nook Kick Skeleton is hiding in, the issue is you're getting pressured by a skeleton archer. The game wants you to look around it's corners. Also Kick Skeleton is funny so they get a pass. I don't remember DaS2 well enough to comment on any of its ambushes, but I will hear no guff about Kick Skeleton.

That being said, it's okay for a game to do something cheap that makes you fail because failure in a game is fine and can be very funny or appropriate. Some one brought up Pathologic 2, and there's a moment in the story around the end where you are given the biggest gently caress you the game can give and it is both tonally appropriate and very funny. I don't think any of the difficulty options impact your ability to deal with that one much beyond a very vague connection.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
DS3 has the best iteration of *shoves u off cliff* because it waits until deep into the final DLC to bring it back.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

he made three movies where the shortest of the three was 2 and a half hours

and then he let linkara make a 3 and a half hour movie

e: which reminds me i haven't watched much of linkara's yet, i got to a part where doug cameoed on a news channel and my roommates, who weren't even in the room, begged me to stop

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, has anyone recommended LazyPurple yet? Very high-quality TF2 videos, entertaining enough to check out even if you've never played the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX28oxrdUVI

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sydin posted:

I mean The Wall video got Doug a ton of attention and presumably clicks, why not do something like it again? Anybody who's still a fan of his at this point ain't stopping any time soon, so all showing his rear end would do is potentially draw in some new clicks from voyeurs interested in how badly he beefed it this time round.

I remember an interview with John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats, talking about when he realized that he was “a lifer”, as in going to be a musician for the rest of his life (for better or worse). Because he had reached his 40s and had no other professional skills or work experience. Music was literally all he had done for decades. So there wasn’t really anything else he could do even if his modest level of success completely faded away.

I imagine Doug Walker feels similarly. He does his schtick and makes YouTube content, and that’s all he has done for most of his adult life. Attempts to branch out and try other stuff have failed. He’s a YouTube lifer, and this is the life he’s stuck in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

he made three movies where the shortest of the three was 2 and a half hours

and then he let linkara make a 3 and a half hour movie

e: which reminds me i haven't watched much of linkara's yet, i got to a part where doug cameoed on a news channel and my roommates, who weren't even in the room, begged me to stop

Making a 3+ hour movie in a week is the height of insanity.

None of the other reviews I'd seen/heard of the Wall brought up the weird animations and not sure how the others missed commenting on it.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

I remember an interview with John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats, talking about when he realized that he was “a lifer”, as in going to be a musician for the rest of his life (for better or worse). Because he had reached his 40s and had no other professional skills or work experience. Music was literally all he had done for decades. So there wasn’t really anything else he could do even if his modest level of success completely faded away.

I imagine Doug Walker feels similarly. He does his schtick and makes YouTube content, and that’s all he has done for most of his adult life. Attempts to branch out and try other stuff have failed. He’s a YouTube lifer, and this is the life he’s stuck in.

This is my idea of hell. Incidentally, it's also the hell several alt right grifters now reside in. Eggman Molenyux, Sargon, Loomer, all of them are too old and too infamous to be doing anything else so now they're stuck begging for scraps and I find that deeply gratifying

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

LanceHunter posted:

He's also effectively been "cancelled" so to speak: the Change the Channel stuff and his reaction (or perhaps, lack of reaction) to it all means that there's a wide swatch of people who are just completely uninterested in giving him or his content the time of day, unless he's swept up in some new controversy. So he really doesn't have anything to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TGLT posted:

If i remember correctly you can absolutely see the nook Kick Skeleton is hiding in, the issue is you're getting pressured by a skeleton archer. The game wants you to look around it's corners. Also Kick Skeleton is funny so they get a pass. I don't remember DaS2 well enough to comment on any of its ambushes, but I will hear no guff about Kick Skeleton.

We might be thinking of two different bits, the kick skeleton I'm thinking of takes you by surprise because there's absolutely nothing else visible on that long stretch of ledge, and I think it's just after you've got done dealing with the bonetowers which are about as subtle and stealthy as a brick to the face. In retrospect, that emptiness is suspicious in itself, but you're not thinking about that the first time. And yeah, the bony boot coming out of nowhere and yeeting you off the edge is funny as hell.