Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Char posted:

unblocked casts to stop one of the big knights. Guess it's a git gud issue but dunno why shouldn't I simply go back to a weapon build.
because you can fight with a weapon and then throw a big fireball when you have an opening for big damage(and sometimes get openings where there normally would be none due to range). do you really only want to be a pyromancer if you can play it by just throwing fireballs?

also you should be using at least one of great combustion/black flame, they're short range but fast+strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Oh that's too bad. I had all these spells in my inventory, taunting me as I couldn't use them. I guess support spells make some sense, otherwise I'm just playing a swordman with some ranged options and less margin for error. Guess I'll try the katanas next!

edit: just saw the last answer, dunno, I just wanted to see what these spells could do. They deal a bit more damage than my 1h chaos longsword, but they force me to allocate less health flasks, force me to play a squishy character and are overall harder to use than weapons :(
I guess I've finished the game with an easymode build, went STR/VIT/END.

Char fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 11, 2021

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
If I'm doing a twin blade bleed build should I go for hollow infusion or bleed infusion? I'm leveling the Warden Twinblades with most points in dex and I just got to the ithryll dungeon so just about time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Char posted:

Oh that's too bad. I had all these spells in my inventory, taunting me as I couldn't use them. I guess support spells make some sense, otherwise I'm just playing a swordman with some ranged options and less margin for error. Guess I'll try the katanas next!

edit: just saw the last answer, dunno, I just wanted to see what these spells could do. They deal a bit more damage than my 1h chaos longsword, but they force me to allocate less health flasks, force me to play a squishy character and are overall harder to use than weapons :(
I guess I've finished the game with an easymode build, went STR/VIT/END.

This is pretty much the DS3 spellcaster experience in a nutshell. You can get a powerful spellcaster character, but it’s not way more powerful than basic sword dude and it’s far more work and difficulty to get there.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Oscar Wild posted:

If I'm doing a twin blade bleed build should I go for hollow infusion or bleed infusion? I'm leveling the Warden Twinblades with most points in dex and I just got to the ithryll dungeon so just about time.

Neither - if most of your points are already Dex focused, infuse sharp and apply carthus rouge to them when you want to proc bleed.

Hollow is only "worth" it for luck builds, and it is well known that luck builds suck. Although with 2 hollow equips and a luck build that looks like beef jerky to reach the luck soft cap, you will see the largest bleed build-up with carthus rouge applied.

Bleed similarly blows because you will do far less AR, and the bleed build-up increase usually isn't worth it for the proc (depending on the enemy). Although since warden twinblades drop from the wardens, nothing preventing you from getting an extra and then infusing them bleed to test out or switch to when you inevitably run out of carthus rouge.

This is coming from someone with a luck/hollow invader at SL50; just do it for fun if you want to try a luck build, otherwise it isn't a good idea.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I can’t remember which thread myself and some others talked about this in (maybe pyf glitch thread) but here is a new video from Be And on bizarre challenge Dark souls runs

https://youtu.be/c2w9WPlfzGg
This guy is the true non-problematic/non-rear end in a top hat (as far as we know) successor to ymfah’s challenge run videos.

Good fun!

:Edit: has a much better music choice than ymfah too

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

skasion posted:

This is pretty much the DS3 spellcaster experience in a nutshell. You can get a powerful spellcaster character, but it’s not way more powerful than basic sword dude and it’s far more work and difficulty to get there.

I'm doing NG as a sorcerer after my first run as quality, so I've avoided the lovely work getting good, but boss fights have mostly been "shitshitshitthey'reabouttohitmeohgodcastalready!!!"
And often I'll just pull out a sword anyway. Or conjure a sword.

I like pestilent mist though. I actually killed an invader with, too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Goddamn, Patches’ reaction to you falling for his trap if you already killed the giants (surprisingly not that hard tbh, to the point that the souls gained feels like overkill) is great. Got a hearty laugh out of me, at least.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

Goddamn, Patches’ reaction to you falling for his trap if you already killed the giants (surprisingly not that hard tbh, to the point that the souls gained feels like overkill) is great. Got a hearty laugh out of me, at least.

Have you no shame??

I managed to beat the poo poo out of Sulyvahn with the caestus parry tactic! I wasn't sure about it until I saw how much damage my demon fist riposte did--about 1/4-/5 or so of the health bar. I was able to parry his leap attack pretty consistently, and learned to parry his other attacks enough that he became 100x easier to read and fight. Now I'm dealing with loving Anor Londo archers again :argh:

I love how active the sunlight covenant is in this one, I've been getting summoned nonstop for Sulyvahn on my pyromancer. I kept seeing this phantom named HmmmmmmGreg while sunbroing, and then after fighting with him as a phantom a few times, he summoned me to his world to help him beat Sulyvahn for himself :3:

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
The game has been bustling with activity lately. made a sl30 knight to pester swamp-crossers and got my 30 tongues in one evening.

Goatson fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 12, 2021

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Steam is running a Souls sale. Paid off the tower key + 5 levels of dark sign by just trimming the cursed tree a dozen times in a row as a warrior of sunlight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Golly gee, I can’t think of anything I wanted more than if the forest from DS1 literally fused with Blighttown AND The Depths and I got to ponderously walk through poison sludge and largely samey forestland before getting ganked by those demons with the chain grab.

...well okay, conceptually it is pretty neat when you slowly start to piece together that it literally is the forest hosed all the way up from Blighttown runoff. Just not the most fun thing to play through.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The swamp in DS3 feels like a goddamn vacation compared to Blightown or Valley of Defilement or Nightmare Frontier

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

The swamp in DS3 feels like a goddamn vacation compared to Blightown or Valley of Defilement or Nightmare Frontier

As someone going through Valley of Defilement for the first time I 100% agree

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I must say off the top of my head theres nowhere in the series I groan about having to go to, except maybe shrine of storms. Those rolling fuckers shouldn't even be so hard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

I was actually somewhat disappointed by it. Its a cool forest but its not really a blighttown or a valley of defilement. Its more like what if the darkroot garden got poison water splashed around.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I liked how easy the swamp was for my pyromancer. It rewarded the hell out of my immersion~* to see everything in the swamplands absolutely melting from my pyromancies

Also discovering Anor Londo was kind of a trip lol. I was like "oh that building in the distance resembles Anor Londo's architecture, neat callback" and then after beating the Pontiff, "lol archers on the building, yeah this is very Anor Londo" to "oh poo poo this is the antechamber to Gwyndolin's old spot, but no bonfire, this is literally anor londo wtf"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I really like how Dark Souls 3 pulls you along with little things and you're like "oh nice callbacks to the past games" and then you get to Irithyl and it clicks that its all very much on purpose and canon.

Its like Bloodborne starting off with just vampires and werewolves and then halfway through you find out what's really been going on the whole time.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I liked how easy the swamp was for my pyromancer. It rewarded the hell out of my immersion~* to see everything in the swamplands absolutely melting from my pyromancies

Also discovering Anor Londo was kind of a trip lol. I was like "oh that building in the distance resembles Anor Londo's architecture, neat callback" and then after beating the Pontiff, "lol archers on the building, yeah this is very Anor Londo" to "oh poo poo this is the antechamber to Gwyndolin's old spot, but no bonfire, this is literally anor londo wtf"

Wait until you start The Ringed City, you're in for a nice surprise.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hahah I thought I would check out this thread to gush about the game and did not realise I was being posted in here :D

Many similar sounds are made during these games. Many times.

But yes I wanted to gush about DS3 and state that it is easily my favourite and what I was looking for once I had beaten Bloodborne (I completed DS1 and then DS2 and have gotten 3 play sessions out of this). I am so glad we got the fast souls entry before they stopped visiting this intricate and linked series of worlds and I will be very, very sad once I finish it but in a good way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah that's why it sucks

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Parrying pontiffs big initial lunge attack is a baller move.

My friend who never played a dark souls game before this one, parried that move with a katana, killed the boss and quit because he felt the game was boring.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

WaltherFeng posted:

My friend who never played a dark souls game before this one, parried that move with a katana, killed the boss and quit because he felt the game was boring.

sounds like he should play sekiro

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Siegward :(

Also I've hosed up and gotten Greirat killed twice now in Irithyll. :( DS3 is just gonna kill all my friends huh

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Siegward :(

Also I've hosed up and gotten Greirat killed twice now in Irithyll. :( DS3 is just gonna kill all my friends huh

the theme of the game is "please just let everything die so we can make a different game"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

the theme of the game is "please just let everything die so we can make a different game"

Except, of course, Patches.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was kinda mad when a boulder ran me over in the catacombs and shoved me into a cliff cause I lost my ember from it, but then I realized no, it’s a giant orgy skeleton ball and I’ve cooled off a fair bit. Then I had a decent chuckle when orgy skeleton killed itself on the bars to the broken gate.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Arrhythmia posted:

Except, of course, Patches.

He's the only NPC I killed wantonly before NG.

Last Celebration posted:

I was kinda mad when a boulder ran me over in the catacombs and shoved me into a cliff cause I lost my ember from it, but then I realized no, it’s a giant orgy skeleton ball and I’ve cooled off a fair bit. Then I had a decent chuckle when orgy skeleton killed itself on the bars to the broken gate.

I love the skeletons in worker hats that power them and the fact they try and cheese it when they see you coming.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

I love the skeletons in worker hats that power them and the fact they try and cheese it when they see you coming.

I love these guys too, they're adorable 😍

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The mystery of the skeleton ball crab is still unsolved...

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
I've died to that crab at least once.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yeah that crab surprised me greatly on Sunday. Was not expecting that at all and the ball on the stairs killed me a couple of times, both in pretty funny ways. The first from not realising what was behind me. Fine, that is my fault.

Second time I was stood to one side to allow it to go past and it did. Then I picked up the item on the stairs and saw it coming so waited again. I watched as one of the skeletons in the ball extended itself out and hit me off the stairs into the abyss as it rolled past. How can you not laugh at that? :)

Also a bit of a copy from the gen chat thread, but on Sunday I defeated the following:

Wolnir, after the first time facing him I ran straight into his dust cloud and died.
The Old Iron Demon in the lost Izalith ruinsy place. Wicked Callback! (got them second try after running in and trying to dodge and dying immediately).
The big worm that guards him. Actually did it without using the catapault, just a lot of good positioning and twinblade attacking!
The big firey demon at the bottom of the indiana jones rope bridge.
The aforementioned crab in the ball of skeletons.
The big gaping chest dog on the bridge to Ithryll. He was a bitey enemy!
Pontiff Suhzalaman. His gwyn attacks and splitting in two was very tricky but managed to do it in under 10 tries. I think 7 or 8 but it was hair raising at the end!
The two gaping chest dogs in the base of the tower where there are giants outside and deacons all along the balcony watching you.
The big cat spider in Anor Londo with all the squishlies and the deacons. (Not a fan of the deacons and their homing fire!!)
Creighton. Twice. (both helping an NPC and facing him alone).
Hodrick, (helping out Sirrus the NPC).
Horace, thus allowing me to marry Anri.
Aldrich who had taken over the body of Dark Sun Gwyndolin and was a really tough. I think I did them in about 8 or 9 tries as well. The arrow attack followed by the purple spear lances followed by the arrow attack followed by the purple spear and I had no idea when I could actually make my moves! Very small window of openings! But I did it! :)
Arla, an invader mentioned in DS2 who nearly had me dodging off a cliff to avoid an attack.

I get to play again tonight where I am currently in Ithryll Dungeon a happy home where items I pick up will scream in my face, zombies with squicky chests open up and consume me, an piou looking enemy brands me with a poker iron and reduces my life bar and other zombies cheekily push me off ledges. No Idea what I will face but extremely excited to do so :)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really like the lore detail of chaos pyromancies having no int/faith requirements, presumably because it’s been like thousands and thousands of years since even DS1 that everyone forgot how to cast them all that way.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I forgot to give orbeck some tomes so he rightly dumped me for someone who can fulfill his needs.

Do tomes carry over into NG+‽ I'm thinking of getting the promancy and miracles ones and the I'd just have spells and rings to plat.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I love this dumb game https://twitter.com/FlyboyVideo/status/1382107825007116293

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I never finished this game and I felt guilty that I've had a whole pandemic and haven't gotten around to it so here I am.

I left off at anor londo, so I just killed Aldrich and immediately lost all my souls to the dancer. Perhaps I should start a new game since I'm so rusty, feels weird not being able to barehand parry silver knights but this is DS3 so I think I'll ignore parrying and shields entirely and stick with my trusty medium rolls. One thing I never figured out is how to use FP. They say you should 2-hand your weapon and hit the left trigger button but when I do all I get is some kinda parry or kick maybe? My FP bar goes down but it's not an attack and I don't get it. I'm using a heavy spiked mace but I get the same result with other weapons.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sanctum posted:

I never finished this game and I felt guilty that I've had a whole pandemic and haven't gotten around to it so here I am.

I left off at anor londo, so I just killed Aldrich and immediately lost all my souls to the dancer. Perhaps I should start a new game since I'm so rusty, feels weird not being able to barehand parry silver knights but this is DS3 so I think I'll ignore parrying and shields entirely and stick with my trusty medium rolls. One thing I never figured out is how to use FP. They say you should 2-hand your weapon and hit the left trigger button but when I do all I get is some kinda parry or kick maybe? My FP bar goes down but it's not an attack and I don't get it. I'm using a heavy spiked mace but I get the same result with other weapons.

It's dependent on the weapon. A lot of the basic weapons will just do an extra chunky attack but being souls there's also a ton of weapons that do really weird gimmicky parry stuff instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Some of the FP skills are a 'stance' where you hold it and then press something else (r1/r2). They can do all sorts of things depending on the weapon like Dr. Nutt said. If you look in the menu you can see the name of the FP skill so that gives you a hint. Some are buffs even!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh hey, so quick question. I am working on a DSR playthrough now and am thinking about binging the other games. Do y'all recommend that I play DS3 next to get maximum effectiveness for DS1 callbacks, or should I use DS2 as a palate cleanser instead of saving it for after? This is not my first time through any of these games and 2 is still probably my overall favorite right behind Demon's Souls, but I'm curious to see what the thread recommends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
There's also DS2 callbacks, so if you want the max effectiveness I'd say do it all in order. But DS1 gets you to the softcap for sure.