Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
oh I was 100% drinking a bunch of beer and chopping shiitakes when I should have not been. I normally am decent with a knife I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

this is in fact one of the safest ways

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

oh I was 100% drinking a bunch of beer and chopping shiitakes when I should have not been. I normally am decent with a knife I swear.

ah, the delicate dance of bloodshed that is "a few beers/glasses of wine really help me cook" versus personal safety and common sense

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

make sure your knives are sharp too, a dull knife that you have to smash through a slippery onion or whatever is a bad thing that will get you cut

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MAC knives are the best kitchen tool I've gotten for myself. I will never go back to lovely knives.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

ah, the delicate dance of bloodshed that is "a few beers/glasses of wine really help me cook" versus personal safety and common sense

we call it 'cooking juice' when we get together as a family

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my roommate broke the tip off my kyocera ceramic. a worse sin than rusting out my cast iron

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Epic High Five posted:

learn to cut using your knuckles as guides, you can use a claw grip thing where your thumb pushes the food forward (asking for trouble) or the weight of your hand keeps it stable while the knife is guided by the downward slope of your knuckle, with your hand moving back a bit with each slice

That would be this technique. It's well worth practicing, and I love chopping something quickly while maintaining eye contact with someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ44SxiemMs&t=163s

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mllaneza posted:

That would be this technique. It's well worth practicing, and I love chopping something quickly while maintaining eye contact with someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ44SxiemMs&t=163s

that's a first-date powermove

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a salted pork butt chilling in the fridge overnight because I'm planning to make pulled pork in a Dutch oven instead of a pressure cooker because I'm tired of making wet meat slop with no texture or char to it.

wish me luck.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

holy crap we did it me hardies

just gotta wait for the sauce to cool so i can skim the excess fat off the top.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I want to punch every person who ever told me to make pulled pork in an instapot. this is so so much better.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The knuckle technique is great but eventually you’re going to be doing something odd like splitting leeks or breaking down a big piece of meat, slip, and god help you if your other hand is in the wrong place. There’s really no substitute for learning proper knife control if you cook frequently.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I want to punch every person who ever told me to make pulled pork in an instapot. this is so so much better.

lol it's true. pressure cookers and crockpots are great for convenience, and sometimes that trumps all other downsides. but they also only make a very specific kind of watery braise. there will be no caramelization, no maillard from dry heat roasting, no reduction of liquids or concentration of flavors.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Crusty Nutsack posted:

lol it's true. pressure cookers and crockpots are great for convenience, and sometimes that trumps all other downsides. but they also only make a very specific kind of watery braise. there will be no caramelization, no maillard from dry heat roasting, no reduction of liquids or concentration of flavors.

which isn't the fault of pressure cookers, it's the fault of recipe authors

we've had pressure cookers for a long time, you don't need to be making cake in them

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

watch me make merguez

refrigerate for a few hours-overnight, give one last stirring for good luck

a note on the ingredients

olive oil, use a lot then use some more. in merguez olive oil is a major season agent as well as a texturing agent and cooking medium. use the good stuff if you have it.

salt, go easy. if you're using harissa paste and not powder, don't put in any because the paste is probably already salty.

harissa. if you can't find any, don't bug out. it's mostly hot peppers and coriander. my dad hated coriander so he didn't use harissa at all, just plenty of dried peppers. use way way way more harissa (or peppers if you go that route) than I did, enough to make your meat red and hot. I skimp because a:)my body can no longer process pleasure and b:) I usually use dijon mixed with harissa paste as a condiment for merguez so the heat is a la carte. in the harissa pecking order harissa powder somewhere on the lower rung, I have my reasons for using it but really use a paste if the option is there, ideally make your own

cumin, yeah you can totes roast some seeds and grind them up right before you mix them in with the lamb. remember that there is such a thing as too fresh

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Yeah this is exactly what makes them attractive to people though. If you’re reducing or browning something there’s a real possibility of overdoing it and ending up with a ruined meal. Most people like slow cookers because you can just let them sit for “a long time” unmonitored and eat when you feel like it. The extra effort of having to check on your food every hour or so just isn’t worth it for most, despite the fact that the same dish cooked in a Dutch oven will taste better 99% of the time.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

angerbeet posted:

which isn't the fault of pressure cookers, it's the fault of recipe authors

we've had pressure cookers for a long time, you don't need to be making cake in them

well people thinking they can cook anything in a pressure cooker is a different problem than the limitations of what is good to cook in a pressure cooker, but yes, that too. instant pot is really just a marketing and branding success story.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

drat I'm gonna make that next week.

e: the lamb dish I mean. I'll prolly use an instapot though.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

TheSlutPit posted:

Yeah this is exactly what makes them attractive to people though. If you’re reducing or browning something there’s a real possibility of overdoing it and ending up with a ruined meal. Most people like slow cookers because you can just let them sit for “a long time” unmonitored and eat when you feel like it. The extra effort of having to check on your food every hour or so just isn’t worth it for most, despite the fact that the same dish cooked in a Dutch oven will taste better 99% of the time.

yeah pretty much. and just in case people think I'm making GBS threads on instant pots, I own a pressure cooker and uh, 4? crockpots lol cooking for convenience is fine, I just wish people would realize that's what they're doing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast

Crusty Nutsack posted:

one can do a combinatory method. my dad will smoke ribs on the grill until his charcoal burns out. then he will transfer to the pressure cooker and pressure cook with bourbon and a bit of sauce to finish.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

one can do a combinatory method. my dad will smoke ribs on the grill until his charcoal burns out. then he will transfer to the pressure cooker and pressure cook with bourbon and a bit of sauce to finish.

this is basically my strategy for convenience meals, except I spend 1 day or so per week cooking a bunch of stuff on the grill/stove and then throw it in the rice cooker with some rice + spices + veggies for easy meals throughout the week.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

drat I'm gonna make that next week.

e: the lamb dish I mean. I'll prolly use an instapot though.

it's a sausage, you could. casing it and cooking it in the instapot might be kinda cool as the oil wouldn't be able to escape the casing and subsequently wouldn't be able to escape the meat. it might be more like an oily baloney than a breakfast sausage in terms of texture, but that really doesn't sound bad

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
everyones food looks all amazing, sure it tastes amazing too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wonder if instapot brisket with a quick oven finish would actually work or my texan ancestors would rise from the grave to eat my brains instead

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the reason I know this pork is leagues better than anything I've made before is because the leftovers barely even merited a container. just plowed through two lbs of pork like it's nothing.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
I tried a packet of top roman, crunchy peanut butter, and sirracha. I liked jt

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i made a quick pan shrimp boil. :sadpeanut:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

So this is the recipe I followed and I'm gonna do it again with a butt 2x bigger in size (with fat bone in it too).

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/02/easy-oven-pulled-pork-recipe.html

However, I don't actually want to make it bbq. I just want the shredded texture and some spice and seasoning on it.

What do?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

re: instant pot pulled pork. I will usually do my pork in the pressure cooker, then pull it and toss it on a sheet pan under the broiler for around 30 minutes, turning it and splashing cooking liquid on it every 10 minutes or so to get crispy bits all over it without burning it. it really gives you the best of both worlds. the convenience of the instant pot with the textural heterogeneity and flavor of a barbecued shoulder.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

enjoyed the first salad of the season from my garden along with some homemade pizzas tonight :cheers:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

just got a big box of El Yucateco sauces in the mail, stoked as gently caress

but also really sad that all the shops in town stopped carrying the good (XXXtra hot, Caribbean, black) stuff

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

also today i rolled sushi for the first time! just a basic rear end california roll (surimi, avocado, cucumber, carrot) but it was a lot of fun and a big hit with the people i fed it to.

Epic High Five posted:

just got a big box of El Yucateco sauces in the mail, stoked as gently caress

but also really sad that all the shops in town stopped carrying the good (XXXtra hot, Caribbean, black) stuff

the green is delicious; how does that spice level compare to the ones you mentioned? they aren't in any shops around here so i would have to order online.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm basic and my favorite green sauce is tabasco's. it's so good

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

the yucateco green is habanero so its a lot hotter but the green jalapeno tabasco is imo better than the red. im trying to grow tomatillos this summer so i can make salsa verde and drown in a vat of it, happy

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my favorite tex-mex place has el yucateco green as a table sauce and i love it and them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chard posted:

also today i rolled sushi for the first time! just a basic rear end california roll (surimi, avocado, cucumber, carrot) but it was a lot of fun and a big hit with the people i fed it to.

the green is delicious; how does that spice level compare to the ones you mentioned? they aren't in any shops around here so i would have to order online.

it's the lowest but not like, mild. It's like 9k scoville iirc whereas Tobasco is like 2500 and Valentina black label (an extremely good sauce to use in bulk) is like 2100

XXXtra hot is in the area of 13k and is imho the perfect balance between heat and flavor as far as mass produced sauces go

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

my favorite tex-mex place has el yucateco green as a table sauce and i love it and them

yeah it's probably the most common high quality table sauce around, but pretty much every Mexican place around here doesn't go above Tapatio (great flavor, zero heat) in their table offerings alas

which is of course why I have a shelf dedicated to like 30 bottles of various hot sauces lol

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

it's the lowest but not like, mild. It's like 9k scoville iirc whereas Tobasco is like 2500 and Valentina black label (an extremely good sauce to use in bulk) is like 2100

XXXtra hot is in the area of 13k and is imho the perfect balance between heat and flavor as far as mass produced sauces go

nice, i'll have to give that a try. tbh capsaicin kicks my rear end, but there is so much good flavor in chilis that im happy to build up a slow painful tolerance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chard posted:

nice, i'll have to give that a try. tbh capsaicin kicks my rear end, but there is so much good flavor in chilis that im happy to build up a slow painful tolerance

just avoid any sauce with extract and you'll be just fine, once your tolerance builds up you'll appreciate them a lot more and also suddenly nobody will be stealing your leftovers lol

As much as I sing the praises of pretty much any El Yucateco sauce, Valentina and its black label variant are the real proletarian heavy lifters in terms of just ladling poo poo on until your tolerance is crazy high

edit - if you like and can tolerate the green you're already well ahead of like 95% of the country lol. If you're fine with that you'll be good with pretty much anything I listed