Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I would hope that the story progression is significantly different based on who you side with romantically, like they have their own unique main plot relevant quest to follow and its very much changes the overall dynamic. I can't imagine LiS1 would've had remotely the same impact if it was a matter of picking between Chloe or Warren as your investigation partner if all the major plot beats are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

pentyne posted:

I think the last year and the sense of tension between dontnod and Squeenix have shifted the landscape for where the franchise is headed. Dontnod really gives off the vibe of "we do it our way or not at all" and has a history of their creative genius getting in the way of making good games.

Like, True Colors better move some units, because the episodic nature seems like it was a big word of mouth selling point and adventure games in general aren't huge sellers like any of the big AAA titles. The queer romance angle is probably going to be a big part of its sales potential. I'd be surprised if the stats for the game have the guy romance option as more the 10% of players.

Based upon internet comments alone I think the hetero romance option in True Colors is headed for "didn't share earbuds with Rachel" territory.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

exquisite tea posted:

Based upon internet comments alone I think the hetero romance option in True Colors is headed for "didn't share earbuds with Rachel" territory.

I mean the moment Steph showed up it was basically that. That's why the guy has to loving amazing because I'm not even remotely bothering otherwise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

I mean the moment Steph showed up it was basically that. That's why the guy has to loving amazing because I'm not even remotely bothering otherwise.

Indeed, it’s either hook up with this random guy or hook up with and get a chance to learn more about my favorite BtS character. Not really much of a decision there.

Now I might try the Ryan route later as I like doing different style playthroughs of these games but my first time through will absolutely be 100% Steph focused.

I’d also like it if your choice gets you some completely different scenarios as opposed to previous games where you were still fairly railroaded by the story regardless of romantic interest. I’m also sort of curious what the optional collectibles are going to be this time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The guy looks like every generic white male actor they try to turn into the next Brad Pitt. The whole rustic flannel vibe with the slight beard and the gel styled hair....yeah that's a hard pass for me.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I just had a terrible thought.

What if Steph doesn't have a tabletop game in this story. :ohdear:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think one of the actual bullet points in Steph's DLC episode is getting to DM a tabletop campaign and she's also wearing full witch regalia in one of the shots from the gameplay trailer. Deck Nine knows what the fans want.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

She’s also apparently into LARPing now as well (and I hope we get to join her for a session)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 14, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The official YouTube channel just posted one of the opening scenes for the game:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rTapdqfASmo

And an article about the mocap work in the game:

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/22395615/life-is-strange-true-colors-interview-deck-nine-games-felice-kuan-mocap-mxmtoon

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 21, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ugggh it's gonna be really hard for me to not click on every single piece of promotional material for this game until I deduce the entire plot by recursion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another article, this time about Alex:

https://www.gamesradar.com/life-is-...t-in-alex-chen/

Sounds like text messages will be back in this game (which is good as I missed those in LiS2)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another video introducing the main cast of the game:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dom4Bb1zZDY

On another note, I’m kind of curious how Alex’s power will work from a gameplay standpoint (maybe you can scan people and then pick responses that match or counter their current emotional state or something)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’m also kind of curious, on its face the power to tell how someone feels by looking at them seems kind of pedestrian. Like, most of us have that power irl to some extent.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

General Dog posted:

I’m also kind of curious, on its face the power to tell how someone feels by looking at them seems kind of pedestrian. Like, most of us have that power irl to some extent.

Tell that to my entire middle school career.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

The official YouTube channel just posted one of the opening scenes for the game:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rTapdqfASmo

And an article about the mocap work in the game:

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/22395615/life-is-strange-true-colors-interview-deck-nine-games-felice-kuan-mocap-mxmtoon

I dont know why this is giving me Silent Hill Shattered memories vibes but it is lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I gotta say, the facial animation in True Colors is probably some of the best the series has ever seen (maybe even better than BtS for that matter)

However, if the same is going to be true for the remasters I’m sort of torn. On the one hand I’m glad the characters will actually be able to emote properly but on the other the deadpan expressions and weird glitches (like Max suddenly becoming a telepath for a few moments during the conversation with Warren in Episode 5) were sort of part of the original game’s charm.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the animations in LiS Remastered will be improved and touched up with some better procedural lip-sync, but I wouldn't expect much beyond that. You need the time, money, and actors to do full live performance capture like what you see in True Colors.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think the animations in LiS Remastered will be improved and touched up with some better procedural lip-sync, but I wouldn't expect much beyond that. You need the time, money, and actors to do full live performance capture like what you see in True Colors.

I thought I heard somewhere they were doing new facial mocap work for the remakes but I could be wrong.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

General Dog posted:

Well keep in mind the power always ramps up in strength so it'll probably just start like that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

I thought I heard somewhere they were doing new facial mocap work for the remakes but I could be wrong.

Those mocap studios are pretty expensive to get set up initially, I bet it was a big investment for DeckNine and means they're pretty much expecting to headline the LiS franchise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Those mocap studios are pretty expensive to get set up initially, I bet it was a big investment for DeckNine and means they're pretty much expecting to headline the LiS franchise.

Makes sense, since DontNod has left to form their own studio so they can self-publish their future games and as such likely won’t be returning to the Life is Strange well any time soon.

Though on that note, hasn’t every LiS game had some kind of mocap work done on it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here’s an interview with one of the main TC writers which confirms the game will be divided into 5 chapters as well as few other details:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/life-is-strange-true-colors-is-an-actors-dream/1100-6490425/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
One of the interesting things is they talk about how the whole mocap&facerig aspect of it allowed them to direct it kind of like a stage play at parts to get the right sense of emotion from movement and facial expressions.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though oddly the bonus outfit page on Steam only mentions 4 chapters. So I guess that means there will be one part where Alex can’t change clothes (probably in either the first or the last episode)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There’s a difference between motion capture, in which the gestures and movements of actors are traced digitally and replicated in-game, and live performance capture, where the actor’s entire performance is faithfully reproduced right down to their microexpressions and facial tics. The former has been a part of video game production for the last two decades including Life is Strange, and the latter has really only been technologically feasible in the last eight or nine years. The Last of Us in 2013 was the first game I remember to realistically capture whole performances from live actors on a set. This kind of work is enormously time consuming and expensive but mid-budget games like Hellblade have since shown that you can do it with more limited resources if you build it in-house, which Deck Nine seems to have done. That and the price hike would seem to indicate that Square-Enix wants LiS to be the prestige drama offering in their catalogue, from a marketing standpoint at least.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

There’s a difference between motion capture, in which the gestures and movements of actors are traced digitally and replicated in-game, and live performance capture, where the actor’s entire performance is faithfully reproduced right down to their microexpressions and facial tics. The former has been a part of video game production for the last two decades including Life is Strange, and the latter has really only been technologically feasible in the last eight or nine years. The Last of Us in 2013 was the first game I remember to realistically capture whole performances from live actors on a set. This kind of work is enormously time consuming and expensive but mid-budget games like Hellblade have since shown that you can do it with more limited resources if you build it in-house, which Deck Nine seems to have done. That and the price hike would seem to indicate that Square-Enix wants LiS to be the prestige drama offering in their catalogue, from a marketing standpoint at least.

That a good call honestly

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I’m curious if they’re going to give you the option to choose which ending you want to follow at the beginning like LiS2 did.

After all, I’d be surprised if Arcadia Bay didn’t turn up in at least one of the many conversations with Steph during the course of True Colors and I’m not sure how they’d handle it otherwise (there’s a big difference between “My old town” and “My old town that got destroyed by a tornado” after all).

Apart from one of Daniel’s shirts showing up as a bonus outfit I’m not sure whether LIS2 will get mentioned at all since at the time this game takes place either:

-Sean is in prison and Daniel is with his grandparents in Oregon

-Sean is in Mexico and Daniel is with his grandparents in Oregon

-Sean is dead and Daniel is in Mexico

-Both brothers are in Mexico

At best we might get a newspaper clipping you can read or somewhat less likely a cameo from another LiS2 character.

Steph’s bonus episode does mention her trying to reconnect with an old friend so I’m guessing Mikey will probably make an appearance of some kind even if it’s voice only.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnrqF8eTr5E

Square-Enix is killing me with these 1-minute teasers five months out from release! I think this is the first time it's been revealed that Alex was in the foster care system in Oregon.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

exquisite tea posted:

Square-Enix is killing me with these 1-minute teasers five months out from release! I think this is the first time it's been revealed that Alex was in the foster care system in Oregon.

Oh god, is it gona turn out it's in the Bae timeline and her parents died in Arcadia Bay?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

That makes her the fourth playable LiS protagonist to be from that state (the others being Max, Chloe, and Chris if you count Captain Spirit). Fifth technically since Steph’s getting her own bonus episode as well (and sixth if you really want to count that short part in the Nightmare sequence from the original where you play as Victoria)

The only odd man out so far is Sean who was born in Seattle.

I almost wish this game was being released episodically like the rest of the series just so I wouldn’t have to wait 5 more months before I can play it (but then again, all 5 chapters will be included right off the bat so I guess you could say we’re just getting all the waiting between episodes out of the way right up front).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 23, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh god, is it gona turn out it's in the Bae timeline and her parents died in Arcadia Bay?

I don't think the timelines would match up with that. True Colors takes place in 2019 and Alex has been in the foster care system for 8 years, which would put her at Helping Hands since 2011. But she would probably at least know of Arcadia Bay and heard about the storm in that universe.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

That a good call honestly

The enitre history of Dontnod aside from Life is Strange is basically weird art games that aren't very fun to play aside from a small handful of really great moments.

Good on them for starting a franchise, but they dont really have a good grasp as a studio for what makes enjoyable games.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

The enitre history of Dontnod aside from Life is Strange is basically weird art games that aren't very fun to play aside from a small handful of really great moments.

Good on them for starting a franchise, but they dont really have a good grasp as a studio for what makes enjoyable games.

Probably for the best that Square Enix bought the rights from them entirely in that case.

But yeah, while I enjoyed aspects of LIS2 and Tell Me Why DontNod really hasn’t had a major hit since the original game (and even that has its issues here and there)

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

pentyne posted:

Yeah and I respect that from a art and video games perspective but like yeah they're not suited for franchises really. I figure that's why LiS is so separate from each other outside of a reference here and there

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dontnod has said since the end of the first Life is Strange that Max & Chloe's story was over, and if they made other games in that universe, then it would be as an anthology series. That's why I was surprised when Life is Strange 2 was announced that so many people were shocked it wouldn't star Max & Chloe, since Dontnod were always very clear about their intentions. Reading between the lines there seemed to be some friction over what Dontnod wanted to accomplish with Life is Strange versus Square-Enix, which is at least partially responsible for their choice to go indie. The wildcard here was Deck Nine, who were given 18 months by Square-Enix to flip out some cheap cash-in project in early 2016 and ended up making a pretty drat good Life is Strange game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also in this case the issue of who made the games is largely irrelevant since Square owns the franchise outright, DontNod acknowledges BtS as part of the series and approved story details on the game, and the fact that DontNod likely won’t be coming back to the series any time soon since they recently formed their own studio so they could self-publish.

But yeah, the fact that LiS2 wouldn’t follow Max and Chloe is literally the first thing we were ever told about the game so I’m not sure why people were so surprised by it.

Though I suppose if they really wanted to there are a few options left in the Arcadia Bay well. For example:

-A sequel to BtS starring Rachel (since a lot of the events between that and the original Chloe didn’t find out about until later)

-Another prequel this time focusing on Max in Seattle

-A game starring a completely different character from the same town (Frank could possibly work in that regard)

-A direct sequel involving Max getting bounced back and forth between the Bay and Bae timelines

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Max in Seattle would be five straight episodes of her sitting at her computer playing Final Fantasy 11.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Max in Seattle would be five straight episodes of her sitting at her computer playing Final Fantasy 11.

Well according to a picture in her dorm she did have a pair of friends there named Kris and Fernando but otherwise yeah, I like Max but I’m not sure if her pre-LiS self would really be able to carry a whole game on her own (I’m also not sure what the gimmick would be since this happens pre-Rewind power)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Eyyyy it's Steph!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFGizgMeqKM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I see she’s basically the same as ever (and I really hope we get a chance to do a LARP with her). I haven’t seen anything else she’s been in since BTS but hopefully Katy Bentz will be able to handle the more emotional scenes likely required of her as a main character in this game.

Either way I’m glad she’s finally getting a major role like she deserves and I look forward to learning more about her/dating her.