Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah kinda, he can open the hole between two places for long enough for mass other than his own body to go through

so for example he can blast seawater into a room at (human-survivable) pressure/depth

with a space suit they can do hard vacuum and implode the room and suck people into space. the later books get really weird with it

i only read the first book, i didn’t even know there were others. my favourite book in middle school because of how much i identified with the main character. i used to dream of being able to teleport away. i remember him testing himself about how much mass he was able to take at one point.

anyway the youtube red series take on the concept was i thought very well done. tw sexual assault trauma (though not the act itself i don’t think, can’t remember) but handled well i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You could be a performing magician like in the Prestige, but instead of finding a warehouse that doesn't ask many questions you can just run out to the gallery yourself.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this movie is pretty rad. the deaf girl Kong whispererer is a bit of a Construct but that fight was straight out of evangelion. now we're back to the crazy conspiracy theory dude, who i love

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did i just hear a "no, yeah" out of the kiwi dude lmfao

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i only read the first book, i didn’t even know there were others. my favourite book in middle school because of how much i identified with the main character. i used to dream of being able to teleport away. i remember him testing himself about how much mass he was able to take at one point.

anyway the youtube red series take on the concept was i thought very well done. tw sexual assault trauma (though not the act itself i don’t think, can’t remember) but handled well i think

the second book is about his girlfriend/common-law wife, he disappears and she realizes that jumping isn't a unique ability, it is a learned skill

the third is about their daughter demanding to be properly socialized in a normal high school, and then drawing the ire of the local drug dealers

the fourth is about their daughter starting her own discount space program (if you can jump from the equator to the pole, you're not just changing position, you're also changing velocity; therefore you must be able to change velocity without changing position; therefore you can fly; therefore all you need is a space suit and an Iridium phone)

the YouTube TV show is very loosely based on the third book and is actually pretty great

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
HOLLOW EARTH BOYS WHERE YALL AT YES YES YES YES

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
holla

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
film done. holy poo poo that was fun and awesome. seriously go watch it with as much subwoofer as you can manage. 10 kW would not be out of the question. i have 600w of subs and it held tight but i could see More

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

HOLLOW EARTH BOYS WHERE YALL AT YES YES YES YES

whatup

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i finished godzilla vs kong and its amazing and awesome

now for the late night feature

im watching Money Plane
and i know we've all seen the meme clip

but this movie is WAY better than it has any right to be lmfao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

im watching Money Plane
and i know we've all seen the meme clip

but this movie is WAY better than it has any right to be lmfao
joey lawrence is still alive?!?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lmao this cop sees Superman come back from the dead and his first instinct is to draw his gun. This Is What Cops Actually Believe

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

lmao this cop sees Superman come back from the dead and his first instinct is to draw his gun. This Is What Cops Actually Believe
could be a zombie!!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the Fast 9 trailer is out and it's spectacular

https://youtu.be/fEE4RO-_jug

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

indigi posted:

now this is a super hero franchise

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

indigi posted:

so hyped
love that dame helen mirren got a role by being a huge fan

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's funny that the cars superheros started off as thieves hijacking truckloads of televisions

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's funny that the cars superheros started off as thieves hijacking truckloads of televisions

I really want to know what the decision process between Fast/Furious and Fast 5 was where they were like "just crank every aspect of this to 11" instead of just making a completely new movie or franchise

like the world renowned hacker and tech guy was just a regular fuckin mechanic at one point

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

indigi posted:

I really want to know what the decision process between Fast/Furious and Fast 5 was where they were like "just crank every aspect of this to 11" instead of just making a completely new movie or franchise

like the world renowned hacker and tech guy was just a regular fuckin mechanic at one point

no idea, 3-6 were all directed and written by the same guys

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

duz posted:

love that dame helen mirren got a role by being a huge fan

that's really cool lol

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

justin lin rules as a director. he did a bunch of the paintball episodes of community and a bunch of others. he has an amazing eye for motion and action

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

indigi posted:

I was grinning so hard it hurt by the end of this. I really need to catch up on the rest of these (I think the last one I've seen start to finish was 6)

The Fool posted:

no idea, 3-6 were all directed and written by the same guys

https://film.avclub.com/we-ride-the-fast-and-furious-series-from-b-movie-start-1798278878

basically justin lin turned out to have a real knack for practical action and for everything else they just recognize what worked and lean into it as hard as possible no matter where it takes them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Casual Encountess posted:

justin lin rules as a director. he did a bunch of the paintball episodes of community and a bunch of others. he has an amazing eye for motion and action

ugh I just checked his IMDB and he's doing a Bourne sequel. a Renner Bourne sequel

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I didn't give a gently caress about the F&F series until I saw the trailer for the one where it's just the set piece of them hijacking the tanker trailer. 4? I saw that and was totally in lol. I've seen every one since in the theater

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

indigi posted:

ugh I just checked his IMDB and he's doing a Bourne sequel. a Renner Bourne sequel

Jeremy Renner was not the problem with that movie

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that sad mood where you just watched the latest kaiju and now you're all caught up and super thirsty for more

Might go back and rewatch KotM or Skull Island tonight

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

that sad mood where you just watched the latest kaiju and now you're all caught up and super thirsty for more

Might go back and rewatch KotM or Skull Island tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOr5vaQy9YM

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Fool posted:

Jeremy Renner was not the problem with that movie

he didn’t help

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i still think original fast and furious is the best one because it's literally point break but cars instead of surfing and point break is one of those perfect movies.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

and point break is one of those perfect movies.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEyHu74zp00

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ol1s97ZoDb1vnq1cr.mp4

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

:hmmyes:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

haveblue posted:

I was grinning so hard it hurt by the end of this. I really need to catch up on the rest of these (I think the last one I've seen start to finish was 6)

https://film.avclub.com/we-ride-the-fast-and-furious-series-from-b-movie-start-1798278878

basically justin lin turned out to have a real knack for practical action and for everything else they just recognize what worked and lean into it as hard as possible no matter where it takes them
the how did this get made podcast is past its salad days but every ep they do on a fast and furious movie is great. jason mantzoukas has a hugely complementary energy and at a similar magnitude

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

indigi posted:

This is the one where they finally go into space, right? We've been waiting long enough.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it was agharta all along

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk why people are so into the flat earth when they could be into the much cooler, much harder to falsify hollow earth

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Chris Knight posted:

I didn't give a gently caress about the F&F series until I saw the trailer for the one where it's just the set piece of them hijacking the tanker trailer. 4? I saw that and was totally in lol. I've seen every one since in the theater

that's the only one i've seen since the og (which i hated at the time) and tokyo drift which i was pretty meh about and saw on tv with commercials and it was very weeacar

tanker truck hijack probably fueled my lust for fury road, if i have the timeline right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just finished season 2 of warrior on hbo, if you want crazy hyper violent martial arts with some peaky blinders energy thrown in check it out, it just got renewed for s3