Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

shouting into the void here but it's so funny when senate democrats, the only people on the planet with the power to determine to fate of Joe biden's ostensible agenda, do poo poo like this when it's clear to anyone with two functioning brain cells that the senate dems could just like threaten to not move forward any Biden bill until he cancels student loan debt

let alone the loving senate majority leader

its kabuki bullshit and the rubes fall for it every time

I, one of the 100 most powerful people in American lawmaking, am powerless to do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

Look, I'm not a proponent of my friend's Torture for All legislation. I believe working families should have access to torture if they want it, Torture for Some.

If you like your torturer, uhh, you can keep them

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

https://twitter.com/SabrinaSingh46/status/1382156730348539904

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JulianCastro/status/1382010393141329924

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The first woman speaker Pelosi inspired me after so many decades of male speaker Pelosies

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Radirot posted:

what about college loan forgiveness as part of a reparations package.

i dont trust any current politician to use reparations as anything other then an excuse for why better things arent possible. At best reparations is just means testing, but woke (and inevitably racist as gently caress).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah can we get a Fort Carlos Castillo Armas

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Stewart only seems to be motivated by inhaled toxin related causes. Its a narrow niche, but somebody has to care I guess

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

looking forward to Blood Quantum determinations

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Khive keeps trying to point out that higher earners have more loans to try to say that like loan forgiveness will mostly help wealthy families.

But like no poo poo, the dentist will likely owe a lot more than the mcdonald's shift manager but that doesn't mean the dentist's parents were wealthy.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I could be wrong but there are lots of things named after Italians.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

another historic day in the biden white house! biden only called pete "beau" seven times today!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The next border camp is going to be named Fort Francisco Franco

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

Khive keeps trying to point out that higher earners have more loans to try to say that like loan forgiveness will mostly help wealthy families.

But like no poo poo, the dentist will likely owe a lot more than the mcdonald's shift manager but that doesn't mean the dentist's parents were wealthy.

give the mcdonald's employees free college, and higher wages

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

spacetoaster posted:

No C-Spammer ever called me liberal.

I'm pretty sure I called you a lib but tbf I didn't really mean it

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Nichael posted:

Yes

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

i dont trust any current politician to use reparations as anything other then an excuse for why better things arent possible. At best reparations is just means testing, but woke (and inevitably racist as gently caress).

To be fair, it is pretty impossible to do reparations for race-based chattel slavery without using race.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bedpan posted:

looking forward to Blood Quantum determinations

my town solved the “who gets reparations” by giving it to the alderwomans friends through a crazy definition of who qualified - had to be black and also live there between 1919-1969 or be the descendant

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

spacemang_spliff posted:

Loan forgiveness will inherently disproportionately benefit the wealthy. Only about 33% of Americans even have a degree and only about 13% of them have existing loans.

That doesn't mean it is bad policy, though.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

my town solved the “who gets reparations” by giving it to the alderwomans friends through a crazy definition of who qualified - had to be black and also live there between 1919-1969 or be the descendant

The Spanish colonies solved this problem in a much more systematized fashion:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Loan forgiveness will inherently disproportionately benefit the wealthy. Only about 33% of Americans even have a degree and only about 13% of them have existing loans.

You’re looking at it from the wrong angle in my opinion. It’s not about who is currently educated but the way it opens education up to people who see the potential debt as prohibitive. Any forgiveness obviously needs to be more than a one time jubilee.

Education shouldn’t be something that you’re rolling the dice on enormous debt to get a shot at unless you come from wealth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the wealthy don’t have student loans. they have lovely interest rates and lovely rules (ie no discharge for bankruptcy, also interest is calculated in a worse way than normal). loans wealthy people have are those where the low interest rates and terms mean it makes sense to take out the loan. this is basically just mortgages

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

You’re looking at it from the wrong angle in my opinion. It’s not about who is currently educated but the way it opens education up to people who see the potential debt as prohibitive. Any forgiveness obviously needs to be more than a one time jubilee.

Education shouldn’t be something that you’re rolling the dice on enormous debt to get a shot at unless you come from wealth

Loan forgiveness without a guarantee of tuition-free (INCLUDING room and board) public education is not going to solve any long term problems.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shipon posted:

Loan forgiveness without a guarantee of tuition-free (INCLUDING room and board) public education is not going to solve any long term problems.

correct but that’s not an argument against doing something really simple

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Yeah, two weeks to get him juiced to the gills on whatever they give him to make him halfway lucid sounds about right

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah, but they were specifically discussing loan forgiveness that Warren/Schumer was talking about. Not the other issues with long-term education costs.

Shipon posted:

This ^^^

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

bedpan posted:

The Spanish colonies solved this problem in a much more systematized fashion:

it’s some crude fare for elites, like a rude podcast

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casta posted:

Casta paintings produced largely in 18th-century Mexico have influenced modern understandings of race in Spanish America - a concept which began infiltrating Bourbon Spain from France and Northern Europe during this time. They purport to show a fixed "system" of racial hierarchy which has been disputed by modern academia. These paintings should be evaluated as the production by elites in New Spain for an elite viewership in both Spanish territories and abroad, with sometimes pejorative portrayals of mixtures of Spaniards with other ethnicities. They are useful for understanding elites and their attitudes toward non-elites, and quite valuable as illustrations of aspects of material culture in the late colonial era.[5]

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

hobbesmaster posted:

the wealthy don’t have student loans. they have lovely interest rates and lovely rules (ie no discharge for bankruptcy, also interest is calculated in a worse way than normal). loans wealthy people have are those where the low interest rates and terms mean it makes sense to take out the loan. this is basically just mortgages

It depends what you mean by wealthy. The largest amount of student loans dollar wise are held by people making over $173k per year.

48% of all student debt is held by people with M.D.s, J.D.s, and Graduate degrees, but they only make up ~10% of the population.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Yes because becoming a dentist or a corporate lawyer is expensive. I'm not disputing that.

The argument against loan forgiveness is that we shouldn't pay for the children of millionaires to get underwater basket weaving degrees. A dentist can conceivably come from a middle class family.

Unfortunately usurious interest rates ensure that dentist will open an office in a suburban neighborhood putting braces on highschool students and not working where dental care is badly needed

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shipon posted:

I mean we’ve seen how easy it is to just stop making people pay right? Idk it’s imperfect but I see the combination of continued forbearance and periodic forgiveness being a pretty easy way to achieve backdoor federal funding of education. Obviously that’s too tenuous for the long run, but it could be a great short term bridge, especially if you had a president willing to keep it going for a full two terms and really lock it in as the expectation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It depends what you mean by wealthy. The largest amount of student loans dollar wise are held by people making over $173k per year.

48% of all student debt is held by people with M.D.s, J.D.s, and Graduate degrees, but they only make up ~10% of the population.

income is not wealth

A previously “poor” person that went to school and got one of those jobs is in a much worse situation than a wealthy person that did the same and thanks to compounding interest the gap only increases with time.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Loan forgiveness feels like one of those things where incremental progress isn't that bad. The end goal should be free education and no one should think otherwise but loan forgiveness would still help and even a one time jubilee would at least piss people off in a productive way. Which is also probably why any sort of loan forgiveness is a can they keep kicking for votes but never actually doing it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
if they forgive my loans its all going to weed products at the dispensary

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

20 Blunts posted:

if they forgive my loans its all going to weed products at the dispensary

Yeah, I got to make up for all the weed I didn't smoke because I was paying loans

animist
Aug 28, 2018
every time I come back to this thread I spend a few minutes reading dem tweets and then black out and wake up days later with no memory of the intervening time

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

hobbesmaster posted:

income is not wealth

A previously “poor” person that went to school and got one of those jobs is in a much worse situation than a wealthy person that did the same and thanks to compounding interest the gap only increases with time.

Yeah, some poor people go on to be doctors. But, the majority of doctors come from middle class and wealthy families.

It's the same thing with the SALT deduction. Yes, there are a good chunk of middle class people (and a few very edge case poor people) that benefit from SALT, but the overwhelming majority of the benefit goes to people in the top 25% of incomes.

That doesn't make loan forgiveness a bad policy, but trying to argue that loan forgiveness should be done because it will mostly benefit the poor is going to be a losing argument that gets you stuck debating how someone with a $173k annual income isn't really rich. Should just push for the policy on merits (macro and micro economic benefits + personal freedom), acknowledge that it disproportionately benefits the wealthy, but that it is a worthy goal despite that.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

loan forgiveness is really cool because the president is already empowered to do it. Joe Biden can write and sign a one sentence order and have the issue wrapped up that very day.

all of the discussion and concern about ways and means and who it will apply to are a smokescreen to conceal that Joe Biden could have done this day 1 and deliberately chose not to do so

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nichael posted:

um how about instead of this you imprison them at the border to the tune of $270,000 per year? bing bong. very simple

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

im pleading with John Stewart to pay the country back for the damage his toxic centrism done to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

something I'd like to ask Warren is that "considering Joe Biden's well known hatred of you, do you think your proposals for debt relief make the project more or less likely to succeed?"