Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Someone mentioned it a page or two ago, but its super distracting that they just cast a bunch of famous names who are just... speaking. So instead of voice actors its just many big names speaking exactly the same as their normal voices, so I'm constantly yanked out of the scene.

Hard to explain. but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Someone mentioned it a page or two ago, but its super distracting that they just cast a bunch of famous names who are just... speaking. So instead of voice actors its just many big names speaking exactly the same as their normal voices, so I'm constantly yanked out of the scene.

I get that, I had the same problem with Kubo. I thought Charlize Theron was fine but Matthew McConaughey was too distracting. I certainly agree that voice and regular acting aren't 1:1 skill sets, but I think for the most part the acting's been really good. Especially with the Grayson family, Steven Yeun and Sandra Oh are doing great, and of course JK Simmons is particularly fantastic. I've said I like Goggins as Cecil quite a bit as well.

But yeah, why didn't they have Jennifer Grey just do a couple of different voices for the one-episode appearance of the Green Ghost and War Woman instead of hiring Sonequa Martin-Green and Maggie Cohen for six lines each? I guess my concern is more that, for example, Steven Yeun is going to win an Oscar and then either his price tag is going to go too high or the project will become too small for him. Of course they got two other oscar winners voicing characters so maybe Bezos is just pouring cash into it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

zoux posted:

But yeah, why didn't they have Jennifer Grey just do a couple of different voices for the one-episode appearance of the Green Ghost and War Woman instead of hiring Sonequa Martin-Green and Maggie Cohen for six lines each?

I had no idea until I looked on IMDb that every Guardians of the Globe member was voiced by a Walking Dead actor, which is a fun little Easter Egg.

I'm digging the show so far, though I have a pretty vague memory of reading the TPBs years ago, I just remember it really falling apart in the last third or so, and the story lines feeling like they got repetitive.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

It feels weird that they do this with so much of the cast and then they literally cast Grey Griffin as Monster Girl and Shrink Rae, who are in multiple scenes together. She's kind of a long mainstay in voice acting I know but the entire rest of the cast is made up of very notable actors like Steven Yeun, Sandra Oh, JK Simmons, etc.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I assume they were getting people because they could, voice work during covid is a lot easier than showing up to a set.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Everyone says the costume looks DC Comics character Nightwing (who is the same Grayson that used to be Robin) so I always figured it was an intentional homage.

I figure this too, but it feels weird to me because aside from the homage stuff he doesn't seem much like Nightwing to me. though maybe the story goes more in that direction later. I do like the alien-son pun there too though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

VagueRant posted:

Everyone says the costume looks DC Comics character Nightwing (who is the same Grayson that used to be Robin) so I always figured it was an intentional homage.

It's way stupider than that, Invincible's costume is the Image Comics logo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Could’ve been even more stupid and called him Captain Image.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

zoux posted:

I guess my concern is more that, for example, Steven Yeun is going to win an Oscar and then either his price tag is going to go too high or the project will become too small for him. Of course they got two other oscar winners voicing characters so maybe Bezos is just pouring cash into it.

Dang I didn’t even think of that.
I do wonder how much of the budget is going to the voice actors. Most of the animation has been good but I wonder if it could be better in the acting scenes if they had more animation budget, or if it’s really a question of schedule and this is the best animation the team can generate in the time provided.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It is a bit strange that this animated show based off an obscure independent comic has the most stacked cast of anything streaming right now. The animation is also nothing amazing, though I really like how true it is to the comic. I feel they could've hired a more b-list cast and made a few season for the same money, not that I am complaining. Kirkman is planning on 6-7 seasons if they can, and the analytics are showing it's getting a huge number of streams

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I don’t remember where I read it, but Steven Yeun made it seem like he’s in it for the long haul (book spoilers) Mark ages from a teenager to an adult and a parent in the comics, Steven talked with Kirkman and said he’s purposefully playing Mark’s voice as younger in this first season because he knows how much the character grows and wants the voice to age with the character.

E: it’s from this nytimes interview with Kirkman, but there are book spoilers in the link, so here’s the relevant quote from the article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/...tp1LcYlOTEZHp14

quote:

While the series has just started, he and Yeun already have Mark’s future in mind. “In the very earliest recording sessions, Steven pulled me aside and said, “I’m trying to play him as very young and naïve because I know where the character goes and I want to be able to change my voice over time,’ ” Kirkman said. “I don’t know exactly how many seasons the show will run at this point, but the goal is to tell that complete story.”

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 14, 2021

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Kirkman stunt casted the guardians of the globe with walking dead actors. They did 1 day of a VO session a year or two ago. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I don’t remember where I read it, but Steven Yeun made it seem like he’s in it for the long haul (book spoilers) Mark ages from a teenager to an adult and a parent in the comics, Steven talked with Kirkman and said he’s purposefully playing Mark’s voice as younger in this first season because he knows how much the character grows and wants the voice to age with the character.

They already have Max Burkholder cast for (a future character) which is further along than I'd expect for the first season

Mod edit: removed spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 14, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

They already have Max Burkholder cast for (a future character) which is further along than I'd expect for the first season

Animation's commissioned in blocks that don't line up with traditional seasons, because of the long lead times for making the art -- in a lot of cases two seasons are commissioned at once, but Netflix has definitely handed out some full series orders for its animated shows. So that could be a factor.

Mod edit: Removed spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 14, 2021

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

EDIT: I'm dumb, removing this, don't want to even get close to spoiling things for people because there's a lot of good stuff to come.

Still really enjoying this adaptation, quite like all the little timeline and character changes so far IMHO it's all been for the better. Battle Beast was so drat good.

masterpine fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 14, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Who was in the jar?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

People I know who don’t read comics and aren’t even fans of Marvel movies are giving Invincible a try. So that bodes very well for its appeal.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The over saturation of superhero media does mean that people are much more familiar with the typical tropes of the genre and I guess therefore much more receptive to works that play with the genre conventions, like the Boys or Invincible.

So someone already adapt Nexwave!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Next wave would be one of the very few adaptations where Marvel creator payment policy is commendable.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Animation's commissioned in blocks that don't line up with traditional seasons, because of the long lead times for making the art -- in a lot of cases two seasons are commissioned at once, but Netflix has definitely handed out some full series orders for its animated shows. So that could be a factor.

Yeah, there is no way they are getting to that character with the number of episodes that are left unless there is some extreme re-writing. I guess this pretty much confirms a season 2 is coming, unless the first season really underperforms.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, there is no way they are getting to that character with the number of episodes that are left unless there is some extreme re-writing. I guess this pretty much confirms a season 2 is coming, unless the first season really underperforms.

Anybody who read the comic knows exactly the moment this season is going to end on. My biggest fear is they cliffhanger it and then it doesn’t get picked up for season 2

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

e X posted:

The over saturation of superhero media does mean that people are much more familiar with the typical tropes of the genre and I guess therefore much more receptive to works that play with the genre conventions, like the Boys or Invincible.

So someone already adapt Nexwave!

It seems pretty clear that we don't live in a good portion of the multiverse that would ever get a Next Wave adaptation.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Next wave would be one of the very few adaptations where Marvel creator payment policy is commendable.

Not really. Work is work.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Good Citizen posted:

Anybody who read the comic knows exactly the moment this season is going to end on. My biggest fear is they cliffhanger it and then it doesn’t get picked up for season 2

I'm spoilering this but it deliberately won't mean anything to non readers.

Having just re-read I mainly wonder if they end at chapter 2 of volume 3 for a huge cliffhanger or if they end at the end of that same volume. I suspect the last scene in volume 3 will be the after-credits on the finale.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Since Science Dog was turned into Seance Dog for the show, I wonder if we’re going to get Tech Mech-Jacket, Brit Bloke, or the Capes Drapes crew showing up.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Metropolis posted:

I am pretty curious as to Robot's origins. People seem to just not know or care who built him and why? Definitely something weird there. I'm more interested in that, than finding out what he's up to with a potential rex clone or whatever. though I do suspect he wants to be a real boy. I guess since he's sort of a play on Cyborg, who was a human with robot parts and member of the teen titans sometimes? he will become some sort of reverse-cyborg, a robot with human parts, who everyone sees as more real than machine. i also suspect it's not just the way he's viewed by others that motivates him, he probably really does want to see what it's like to be human.

Re: robot

Maybe all the charter about "good algorithms" is to foreshadow some thing about him having living parts or making himself a body, but I assumed he was just a robot and the cloning was for the monster girl. Though I see I'm the only one who thinks that. Was there an explicit scene of him taking what's his faces blood?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Synnr posted:

Re: robot

Maybe all the charter about "good algorithms" is to foreshadow some thing about him having living parts or making himself a body, but I assumed he was just a robot and the cloning was for the monster girl. Though I see I'm the only one who thinks that. Was there an explicit scene of him taking what's his faces blood?

There is an explicit scene yes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Since Science Dog was turned into Seance Dog for the show, I wonder if we’re going to get Tech Mech-Jacket, Brit Bloke, or the Capes Drapes crew showing up.

Average Dragon

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Salvage Dragon. He's got a mechanical arm, but it's like, steampunk-ish.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Savate Dragon. Same character, but more kickboxing and a french accent.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

There is an explicit scene yes

I must have completely missed it somewhere, whoops. Well, that makes less "grey" and more black & white than I thought they were doing I suppose.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zoux posted:

Average Dragon

After Dragon's son Malcolm takes over the book, Dragon loses his super powers, so he's just a regular dude with green skin and a fin on his head. Erik had this strip run in the letters page.

Ccs posted:

Salvage Dragon. He's got a mechanical arm, but it's like, steampunk-ish.

Bill Sienkiewicz drew this in my Savage Dragon sketchbook years ago.

Tarquinn posted:

Savate Dragon. Same character, but more kickboxing and a french accent.

(Disclaimer: I'm a huge nerd for Erik Larsen)

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

sometimes i remember comics professionals are on here and fear fills me

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Synnr posted:

I must have completely missed it somewhere, whoops. Well, that makes less "grey" and more black & white than I thought they were doing I suppose.

Yeah, if I remember right in the scene where Robot tells Rex not to get in some hosed up relationship with Monster Girl, he puts his hand on Rex's shoulder and Rex goes ouch. At first it's meant to look like he just squeezed Rex's shoulder hard to make his point, but as Rex walks away, the camera shows that Robot is retracting a needle with blood on it into his arm.

Don't know if I need to spoiler that since it was before the last episode.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

ruddiger posted:

After Dragon's son Malcolm takes over the book, Dragon loses his super powers, so he's just a regular dude with green skin and a fin on his head. Erik had this strip run in the letters page.

(Disclaimer: I'm a huge nerd for Erik Larsen)

Hahaha fantastic. The only Savage Dragon I've read is the few pages that were going around blogs where people were freaking out about how outrageously sexual it had gotten.

It's easier to make sense of the violence in Invincible in context to the Image comics line. They've always been about over the top violence. Invincible thankfully partnered that with a good story.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ruddiger posted:

So jealous, Sienkiewicz is one of my favorites.

I've never read Savage Dragon is it unequivocally good?

Ccs posted:

Hahaha fantastic. The only Savage Dragon I've read is the few pages that were going around blogs where people were freaking out about how outrageously sexual it had gotten.

Ah.

Also I'm reading the Young Loki books on MU again and because of my completionism disease I'm starting with Siege and goddamn they should've brought in Ottley as a ringer for when Sentry tears Ares in half like a phonebook, that is some straight up Image poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ep 6: Atom Eve can totally create money with her powers, right? Handing out stacks of cash to charities would also be a great help. She can do it between saving random hikers :v:

I feel like Amber was way too hard on Mark for "running off". Most people would run off in terror from the loving murder cyborg. I know it's supposed to be the tipping point because of all the other stuff in the relationship, but between that and her breaking up with him because she thought he got hit by a car, she really does not come off well.

This hidden outfit plotline is terrible. I can't imagine that someone like Cecil wouldn't have done analysis like the costume maker did. And it still doesn't explain why Nolan kept the loving thing. Deb has got some big loving balls though, telling Nolan off like that.

I wonder what the twins will do with Immortal's body as their insurance policy against Robot. I also wonder how they knew where it was.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 16, 2021

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ep 6: Atom Eve can totally create money with her powers, right? Handing out stacks of cash to charities would also be a great help. She can do it between saving random hikers :v:

I feel like Amber was way too hard on Mark for "running off". Most people would run off in terror from the loving murder cyborg. I know it's supposed to be the tipping point because of all the other stuff in the relationship, but between that and her breaking up with him because she thought he got hit by a car, she really does not come off well.

This hidden outfit plotline is terrible. I can't imagine that someone like Cecil wouldn't have done analysis like the costume maker did. And it still doesn't explain why Nolan kept the loving thing. Deb has got some big loving balls though, telling Nolan off like that.

I wonder what the twins will do with Immortal's body as their insurance policy against Robot. I also wonder how they knew where it was.

On the costume I think he may be keeping it for the blood? Like I think he planted some on darkblood? Nobody’s buying that though so maybe his idea is to plant it on someone more realistic? It’s a new subplot for the show, though, and really it’s just something for Deb to do

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

getting pretty sick of the relationship misunderstanding stuff. i don't think it'd be as bad if they were 22 minute episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Book spoilers: They're saving the (book spoilers) for the season finale aren't they? I don't remember it taking this long in the books.

mod edit: removed spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 17, 2021