Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Flinch free is the only skill that I would say is mandatory on any build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Flinch free is the only skill that I would say is mandatory on any build.

Laughing in dual blades

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

If you aren't dying a lot or feel like hunts are taking way too long, then you don't need to give a poo poo about anything in this game

I only just realized that one of my most-used weapons is considered underpowered for its type and rank. After painstakingly optimizing my weapon and armor, my hunts have gone from <10 minutes to <9 minutes. I feel like a new man.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Batterypowered7 posted:

A lot of monsters have sets that are tailored to a weapon without necessarily being optimal. I believe the Nargacuga (NARGACUGULAR! 🤙) armor is decent for the SWaxe, for example. Eventually you can unlock layered armor so you can wear an ugly clownsuit to get the most optimal skill set while still looking stylish [if you want].

I hate the gunlance clownsuit so much. The Basarios chest armor (for Guard and Load Shells) has huge pointy pauldrons that stick through the GL shield while sheathed, and the Rhenoplos gauntlets (for Artillery 2) look like arcade game grabber arms and clip right through most things, including the otherwise delightful dango cutscenes where it looks like the skewer is embedded in the palm of the gauntlet

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

404notfound posted:

I hate the gunlance clownsuit so much. The Basarios chest armor (for Guard and Load Shells) has huge pointy pauldrons that stick through the GL shield while sheathed, and the Rhenoplos gauntlets (for Artillery 2) look like arcade game grabber arms and clip right through most things, including the otherwise delightful dango cutscenes where it looks like the skewer is embedded in the palm of the gauntlet

Yeah. Layered Armor has got to be one of the best things they've added to the game.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
When can I start layering my armor cause I hate the aesthetics my basarios GL clown suit but I do appreciate the skills and defense.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

If you aren't dying a lot or feel like hunts are taking way too long, then you don't need to give a poo poo about anything in this game

Yea, just wear whatever. If your cool costume has minus fire and you're gonna fight a rathalos then eat for fire resist. You'll probably be fine, just have a tougher time. Worst case scenario you get your rear end kicked and wasted ten minutes, oh well.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Im explicitly looking at working on my Armor and Weapon builds because I want to get my hunt times down to like 7~ mins, it feels completely unfeasible to do deco farming when a Magnamalo hunt takes 20 mins

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cool, thanks everyone!

i made the top hat from the bugs because i thought it was funny, but now i don't much care for it. i have crafting regrets

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I hope layered weapons come back soon because the rampage weapons look like they could be fun to mess around with but they are all so ugly.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

MHW:

Alatreon is a big meanie jerk, because of the elemental gimmick I'm using IG when I'm really more of a hammer/lance guy.

I haven't played a huge amount of IG in iceborne, I know I can pump up the bug now and monster drops are the best thing to use, but what about your go-to damage combo? Is it still triangle->triangle->circle repeat when I have openings or did iceborne add in some cool moves or w/e that are better than that?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

When can I start layering my armor cause I hate the aesthetics my basarios GL clown suit but I do appreciate the skills and defense.

Who knows maybe 2022

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Agent355 posted:

MHW:

Alatreon is a big meanie jerk, because of the elemental gimmick I'm using IG when I'm really more of a hammer/lance guy.

I haven't played a huge amount of IG in iceborne, I know I can pump up the bug now and monster drops are the best thing to use, but what about your go-to damage combo? Is it still triangle->triangle->circle repeat when I have openings or did iceborne add in some cool moves or w/e that are better than that?

Just fyi, but the elemental thresholds are scaled based on your weapon type. So weapons that traditionally aren't great at element (hammer, Greatsword, etc) don't have to do nearly as much to trigger Alatreon as stuff like bow or dual blades.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Achmed Jones posted:

cool, thanks everyone!

i made the top hat from the bugs because i thought it was funny, but now i don't much care for it. i have crafting regrets

The Panic at the Disco armor rules idk what you’re talking about, it’s the perfect complement to the insect glaive

I write spins not tragedies

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Batterypowered7 posted:

A lot of monsters have sets that are tailored to a weapon without necessarily being optimal. I believe the Nargacuga (NARGACUGULAR! 🤙) armor is decent for the SWaxe, for example. Eventually you can unlock layered armor so you can wear an ugly clownsuit to get the most optimal skill set while still looking stylish [if you want].

Also a rarity 6 gunlance with 40% affinity :black101: time to start collecting Critical Eye charms

Wildtortilla posted:

Also buying Artillery and Load Shells decos so I can abandon this

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 14, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
oops double post

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Batterypowered7 posted:

Wait there's layered armor in Rise? Or do you just mean the dlc stuff?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Wait there's layered armor in Rise? Or do you just mean the dlc stuff?

I think the only two pieces available right now are the one you get for buying the Deluxe edition and the one you can get from the Amiibos (Hunter, Catte, Doge).

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

People feeling bad about carting immediately reminds me of poo poo in World/older games that does not happen anymore in rise where you could be dropped off somewhere random instead of at a camp. More than once I or someone else was dropped in the middle of the fight and teostra's exploding or something and you'd just immediately die.

That was more funny than anything tho (unless it was the 3rd cart...)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Magna Kaser posted:

People feeling bad about carting immediately reminds me of poo poo in World/older games that does not happen anymore in rise where you could be dropped off somewhere random instead of at a camp. More than once I or someone else was dropped in the middle of the fight and teostra's exploding or something and you'd just immediately die.

World made it completely pointless with the ability to warp to camps :shrug:, I guess they figured they'd just cut out the middleman.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
For people with ugly armor woes, don't forget you can hide each individual piece of armor at the item box. I forget the exact menu for it, but it's how I hide my ugly gunlance set. I definitely don't miss those awful bulky armor pieces in every scene.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I cannot overstate how fun a guard SnS build is. It basically turns you into a miniature Lance with how many counters you can pull off, and with offensive guard you'll almost always have an attack buff active.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I kinda like that the basarios set makes you look like a dumb gundam but the whole set doesn’t have all the things i want so i am missing some of the key robot rear end pieces :(

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Fast travel makes it totally redundant now but that was my favorite mechanic of high rank in the old games, just get dropped wherever the gently caress with no map, and if you're lucky you get dropped in the secret spot

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Im explicitly looking at working on my Armor and Weapon builds because I want to get my hunt times down to like 7~ mins, it feels completely unfeasible to do deco farming when a Magnamalo hunt takes 20 mins

What's the thunder element exploit LBG you were talking about last night

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Fast travel makes it totally redundant now but that was my favorite mechanic of high rank in the old games, just get dropped wherever the gently caress with no map, and if you're lucky you get dropped in the secret spot

"poo poo. I still haven't learned this map and I didn't get to pick up the map item at the camp."

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Finally branching out from gunlance and lance, started today off making a set for the narga LBG.

LBG is so much fun! The wirebug stuff being on RB is really loving with my muscle memory tho!

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude

I'm never using the dog again.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Norns posted:

LBG is so much fun! The wirebug stuff being on RB is really loving with my muscle memory tho!

Yeah this is a huge issue for me. Died many times because I panicked and didnt get the right button for a wirebug counter for an attack I would have easily countered

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Palamute is its own reward

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Hah, so, funny story. I decided to try and memorize the Caverns mining rotation for cash farming after I dropped to 50k. There was no upsurge, I figured I'd just run the loop twice to make sure I have it down. So, I'm in the middle of the second loop and the upsurge changes, and I mine a spot and I get 12 ores, so oops, the uptick changed to ores as I was running. So, I just start repeating the loop, and I get through it twice and I have to drop off some items because I'm full up. I figure I'll just keep going until it changes again, but it never does. I'm like eight or so additional laps in before it finally switches again, I have no idea how long it lasted but it was way more than ten minutes. Go back to the village and I check my inventory, I've got like 250-300 of each and now I'm a millionaire.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fashion Hunter

Blunt Force Trauma Bow has been a lot of fun to run with friends.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Though Chameleos may still end up being an annoying fight, I eagerly await that armour coming back

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Unlocked HR finally, now the real game begins!

But first I have to stare at the blacksmith menus for a few hours.

EDIT: Oof and I go for a Double Kulu mission to get an upgrade for my hunting horn set and naturally I triple cart not expecting the stupid birds to do quite that much damage. Welcome to High Rank! :shepface:

Actually I wonder what other armor sets would be good for the horn since in theory you could just slap Horn Maestro on a deco or talisman and thus not really be fussed about having it from the Kulu armor set.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 14, 2021

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Unlocked HR finally, now the real game begins!

But first I have to stare at the blacksmith menus for a few hours.

EDIT: Oof and I go for a Double Kulu mission to get an upgrade for my hunting horn set and naturally I triple cart not expecting the stupid birds to do quite that much damage. Welcome to High Rank! :shepface:

Actually I wonder what other armor sets would be good for the horn since in theory you could just slap Horn Maestro on a deco or talisman and thus not really be fussed about having it from the Kulu armor set.

Anjanath is another big go to. It's more for hammer but it contains some blunt force skills. Narga stuff is also good for the dodge boosts.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've been using gathering palico because

1. They are actually super useful in fights - random paralysis or sleep or poison really adds up
2. I am greedy and want more drops and honestly at this point of the game 90% of what I'm doing is fighting things for their drops so why not

But I do miss the palamute movement. It's so fun and nothing beats running up to a monster with a palamute, jumping in the air, jumping off the palamute, charging your hammer and slamming it in the face

Edit: I kept saying palico when I meant palamute. How confusing

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 14, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

404notfound posted:

I posted (what I think to be) a good and good-looking gunlance set earlier that I'm using

Your Computer posted:

I'm pretty comfortable with my new Gunlance build :3:

Defense Boost is there because it was already on the Basarios armor piece and I had to spend the 1-slots on something

I even look pretty good, if I may say so myself

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I don't know about you all, but the more I use Gunlance, the less I actually guard with it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Your Computer posted:

I posted (what I think to be) a good and good-looking gunlance set earlier that I'm using

What actually gives all those Artillery levels? I'm using sticky/cluster LBG so I have 3 artillery too but I think I needed to use Basarios arms until I got more of the decos.

I think I got a charm with 1 artillery but didn't seem worth the slot over what else could be in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What actually gives all those Artillery levels? I'm using sticky/cluster LBG so I have 3 artillery too but I think I needed to use Basarios arms until I got more of the decos.

I think I got a charm with 1 artillery but didn't seem worth the slot over what else could be in there

The absolutely hideous Rhenoplos Gloves provide 2 Artillery if I'm not mistaken.