Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

Arlo & Janice manages to thread the needle between lovely and pure with horny on main and I love it for it.

Yeah it's such a good comic. I can't believe I didn't like it at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

This is one of the strips that hits me pretty hard as an adult looking back. Yes, it was absolutely wrong of Calvin to try to get Susie in trouble in his place, and he didn't get his bug collection done on time. But what benefit is he getting from being yelled at over and over and over again? The punchline makes clear that getting read the riot act doesn't make him remember assignments any better- he's a child who needs help, but he's learning that authority figures are much more interested in exerting that authority than in helping him.

I know it's just a comic strip, and that Calvin isn't an actual child, but it reminds me of my own childhood enough that it got under my skin.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I always thought that an Insect collection was a really weird assignment for what, 8 year-olds?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Green Intern posted:

I always thought that an Insect collection was a really weird assignment for what, 8 year-olds?

6. Calvin is six.

I had that assignment is high school biology.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Green Intern posted:

Yeah, I always read it as "collect fifty different kinds of bugs" (rather than, say, forty-nine ants and a ladybug) and when I read that storyline as a kid, I remember thinking that I hadn't seen fifty different kinds of bugs in my entire life, much less just hanging around my neighborhood.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Watterson always gave Calvin weird age-inappropriate assignments. It's just part of the strip.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Calvin is 6 in the same way that Bart is 10 and Lisa is 8

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I had an insect collection and labeling assignment when I was...maybe 7?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "20 - Jucika and the Novelty"

"pogácsasajt= Pogácsa Cheese, (kvargli) ismet kapható=(Olomouc Cheese) is also available." Looking it up it Jucika bought the olomouc which is known for its odor. Pogácsa pastries(Hungarian cheese biscuits) look delicious.

"Jucika and the Crime Fiction Novel"

I love that Jucika is wholesome enough for cop jokes. This strip is adorable and the third panel doubly so. The furniture morph is so good and clever too.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 14, 2021

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Neither of these children are old enough to have armpit hair, let alone have opinions on grooming it, or to know the sterotype of French women not doing it, this feels particularly skeevy god shut the gently caress up Detorie you loving weirdo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That's pretty standard "child repeating thing they saw on television without understanding it". Kids are parrots.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 19, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

goatface posted:

That's pretty standard "child repeating thing they saw on television without understanding it". Kids are parrots.

Yeah I've never been to London or France..... never seen any of them underpants but i certainly remember being told about the French and hairy arm pits.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

who the gently caress would ever turn down snickerdoodles

what is wrong with you jeremny

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

gently caress you, Stuart.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The joke is that it's not a joke. This is one of the main reasons why retail places use part-time employees.

The Dinette Set is the victim here.

Working Daze forgot to tell a joke.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is trapped in a cycle of abuse. I think.

Cul De Sac is half-right.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Everything in that Ballard Street dump, oh my god.

It's as if boomers were actually harmless eccentrics instead of boomers.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 24, 1944)

The Medieval Castle (Sep. 24, 1944)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Hal Foster draws the best faces.

Do we ever meet any knights of the Round Table besides Gawain? Tristran showed up just long enough to get stabbed, and I think Kay was mentioned, but I don't recall any others. Of course, Val spends most of his time away from Camelot.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wallace, no, please don't spread the idea that it's okay to ride in the back of a truck without seatbelts. This no joke made my opinion of this comic go down quite a bit. I can accept it when Wallace is doing something stupid and crazy because he's a kid, but his dad is letting him do this and his mom is joining in on it when it's extremely dangerous.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The joke is that it's not a joke. This is one of the main reasons why retail places use part-time employees.

Yeah that comic is really just an actual conversation that has happened many times in the US work force.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (August 10, 1991)

A small addendum to yesterday's comic. Mikko was born on December of 1985, so on July 1991 he is 5. School in Finland starts the year you turn 7, so Mikko begins first grade in August 1992 at 6 years old.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Anticipating a "the customer is always right" any time now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kill

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Stuart is an rear end in every way but that is almost certainly not even his call

Certain store roles are full-time and others are part-time and that isn't his decision

But since he sides with corporate and licks their rear end constantly he does deserve to be lumped in

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

amigolupus posted:

The trunk of a car is actually a pretty dangerous place for a kid to hide. It has poor ventilation and can get to high temperatures which can result in heatstroke, especially with the comic showing us it's a sunny day. The comic's also been published in 1991, so it's not yet a standard feature for vehicles to have a glow-in-the-dark car trunk release. Depending on how long he's been hidden in there, Mikko being asleep in the trunk could be a serious warning sign.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wallace, no, please don't spread the idea that it's okay to ride in the back of a truck without seatbelts. This no joke made my opinion of this comic go down quite a bit. I can accept it when Wallace is doing something stupid and crazy because he's a kid, but his dad is letting him do this and his mom is joining in on it when it's extremely dangerous.
Maybe not everything needs to be soberly socially responsible and actively serve as a positive example to the reader 100% of the time?

Says the guy who's been on about Everett True, I know, but still.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

The Bloop posted:

Stuart is an rear end in every way but that is almost certainly not even his call

Certain store roles are full-time and others are part-time and that isn't his decision

But since he sides with corporate and licks their rear end constantly he does deserve to be lumped in

I get what you mean about the authority to make that direct switch(PT to FT) but Stuart is store manager and Marla does the schedule and Cooper probably works 34.5 hour weeks(after lunch punches) when the weekly strip arc isn't "Cooper wants more hours." :shrug: Stuart could talk to HR and push for Cooper to be full time but never would and it's not really a surprise anymore that by the end of the strip Cooper and Marla would watch Stuart die on the street.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Doomykins posted:

by the end of the strip Cooper and Marla would watch Stuart die on the street.

That's really how it ought to have ended.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

Maybe not everything needs to be soberly socially responsible and actively serve as a positive example to the reader 100% of the time?

Says the guy who's been on about Everett True, I know, but still.

Forget it, Horse... it's Comictown.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Comic Strips 2021: this loving cartoon character is terrible at traffic safety PSAs

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Julet Esqu posted:

Anticipating a "the customer is always right" any time now.

So I might be confused here, but is Tiffany saying she paid more out of her pocket than the agreed upon fee from before? Why would she do that? Wouldn’t that mean she’d lose money even if whatshername was happy about it?

Why is this comic so criminally poorly written...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ikanreed posted:

6. Calvin is six.

I had that assignment is high school biology.

We had something like that in HS bio but it was "okay, we've got an hour of class and the woods are right out the back door. Stay within sight of the buildings and let's see what you can find."

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Theoretically since Bets is an ~influencer~ she can get a return on investment via people seeing the experience on social media and making their own reservations.

That said, today's strip was exactly what I wanted it to be: stupid as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits