Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It made sense when it was fall/winter and there's twigs and leaves all over the place, but when the season turned and then she was in the middle of a city, you'd think she'd run out. I also thought that Anne had the excuse that frogs don't wear shoes, but I guess not.

But that sock has been through dirt and submerged in water and covered in mystical growth goop, there's probably a whole miniature ecosystem growing on it by now. I hope Sasha still has the other shoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

kidcoelacanth posted:

i am begging anne boonchuy to put on a second shoe

Lol, I literally raged about this to my housemate the other day.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

SlothfulCobra posted:

It made sense when it was fall/winter and there's twigs and leaves all over the place, but when the season turned and then she was in the middle of a city, you'd think she'd run out. I also thought that Anne had the excuse that frogs don't wear shoes, but I guess not.

But that sock has been through dirt and submerged in water and covered in mystical growth goop, there's probably a whole miniature ecosystem growing on it by now. I hope Sasha still has the other shoe.

When Sasha finally teams up with Anne again, she'll give her the other shoe, and Anne will unlock incredible power.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

readingatwork posted:

Elliot From Earth dropped like seven episodes at once and I think it's safe to say that it's pretty good. You can really tell it's from the Gumball team once Elliot starts going to space school.

I loved the resolution at the end of the episodes where Eliot fused with his dinosaur. It was dumb yet hilarious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Big Infinity Train clip:

https://twitter.com/hbomax/status/1380196236989509634

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Looks good. I'm hyped!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

guess who finally has HBO Max :dance:

i got it for a couple of reasons, but at the top of the list was Justice League. i've said a couple of times in this thread that i thought avatar: TLA and JL were the two best animated serialized* action adventure series of the 00s, and 7 episodes in, the previous statement still rings true.

i mean, drat, what a fricken great show. there's a lot i want to say that i probably won't get into in this post, but one thing for sure i want to mention is the animation. this show looks so drat good. the visuals are so bright, vibrant and clean looking. the art style takes some of the soft, curved features of batman: tas but combines it with the streamlined look of superman: tas, removing a lot its blockiness but still keeping and improving on its fluidity.

it's probably been at least a decade since i've seen it, but watching these episodes again, it's super surprising how much effort was put in, even in these first early episodes. there is a LOT of complex looking action sequences, moreso than i would have expected. cartoon network definitely didn't cheap out on production. granted, considering this was a pretty big established IP, maybe it's not as surprising as i thought.

still, i guess the reason i feel so impressed is that this show is now exactly 20 years old, and still looks drat good. i have a lot of nostalgia for 80s/90s cartoons, but being real, aside from a handful of show, the vast majority of them looked like rear end (x-men, fantastic four, spiderman, toxic crusaders, streetfighter, mortal kombat, pirates of dark water, to name a few). coincidentally, said handful of shows that did look decent were more often then not produced by DC/WB to begin with (batman/superman, tiny toons, animaniacs, freakazoid, etc.). i think the 00s were the first decade where there was widespread improvement on animation. not necessarily that every show looked great, but at minimum started looking competent, as opposed to completely amateurish and insulting.

so yeah, the show has not only aged remarkably well, but imo, i think it actually looks better than a lot shows today, including many done by DC themselves. certainly i think the color palette looks a lot better than darkseid/supergirl film from a while back, which is also present in a lot of other shows/films.

oh also the show is now in HD and so that also helps matters greatly :dance: their upscaling software is amazing. everything looks pristine with zero signs of aliasing or visual artifacts whatsoever. had i not already seen this, i could easily think it was a series animated today.

i'll have more to say on other things later

*yes, i realize that JL isn't really serialized at the beginning, but it slowly becomes that way as the show goes on

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
We watched Owl House before Amphibia so my daughters call Amphibia "the Frog House."

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

Mr Interweb posted:

guess who finally has HBO Max :dance:

i got it for a couple of reasons, but at the top of the list was Justice League. i've said a couple of times in this thread that i thought avatar: TLA and JL were the two best animated serialized* action adventure series of the 00s, and 7 episodes in, the previous statement still rings true.

i mean, drat, what a fricken great show. there's a lot i want to say that i probably won't get into in this post, but one thing for sure i want to mention is the animation. this show looks so drat good. the visuals are so bright, vibrant and clean looking. the art style takes some of the soft, curved features of batman: tas but combines it with the streamlined look of superman: tas, removing a lot its blockiness but still keeping and improving on its fluidity.

it's probably been at least a decade since i've seen it, but watching these episodes again, it's super surprising how much effort was put in, even in these first early episodes. there is a LOT of complex looking action sequences, moreso than i would have expected. cartoon network definitely didn't cheap out on production. granted, considering this was a pretty big established IP, maybe it's not as surprising as i thought.

still, i guess the reason i feel so impressed is that this show is now exactly 20 years old, and still looks drat good. i have a lot of nostalgia for 80s/90s cartoons, but being real, aside from a handful of show, the vast majority of them looked like rear end (x-men, fantastic four, spiderman, toxic crusaders, streetfighter, mortal kombat, pirates of dark water, to name a few). coincidentally, said handful of shows that did look decent were more often then not produced by DC/WB to begin with (batman/superman, tiny toons, animaniacs, freakazoid, etc.). i think the 00s were the first decade where there was widespread improvement on animation. not necessarily that every show looked great, but at minimum started looking competent, as opposed to completely amateurish and insulting.

so yeah, the show has not only aged remarkably well, but imo, i think it actually looks better than a lot shows today, including many done by DC themselves. certainly i think the color palette looks a lot better than darkseid/supergirl film from a while back, which is also present in a lot of other shows/films.

oh also the show is now in HD and so that also helps matters greatly :dance: their upscaling software is amazing. everything looks pristine with zero signs of aliasing or visual artifacts whatsoever. had i not already seen this, i could easily think it was a series animated today.

i'll have more to say on other things later

*yes, i realize that JL isn't really serialized at the beginning, but it slowly becomes that way as the show goes on

One theory I have about why the Snyderverse dc movies have been not the most successful is that we already have the best possible adaptation of these characters on screen already. JL/JLU is an excellent show and the DCAU has still not been matched in sheer quality by any superhero show since.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Snyderverse has made shitloads of money, the idea that it hasn't been successful by any metric is pretty much an invention of WB because they've gone all 00s Capcom and throw their toys out the pram if it doesn't make literally all the money.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Having only seen parts of Eliot of Earth, I liked the last episode and I'm really hoping they get a second season because of the cliffhanger they left on. Animation wise, it reminds me of Gumball but with more sweetness especially in regard to how Elliot, his mom and the dinosaur interact with each other.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the latest Amphibia, it's interesting watching Sasha and Grime develop. They don't get much screen time but what they do get is great. It reminds me of the Ludo episodes in Star Vs the Forces of Evil.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Snyderverse has made shitloads of money, the idea that it hasn't been successful by any metric is pretty much an invention of WB because they've gone all 00s Capcom and throw their toys out the pram if it doesn't make literally all the money.

Zack Snyder's style seems, coincidentally, to probably fit best with Scott Snyder and his Metal stuff.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo why can't I stop laughing at Anne's line in Family Fishing Trip?

"This crab is making me VERY SCARED!"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What was funniest to me was that I was thinking the exact same thing about that crab. All that meat.

The stuff with Grimes is some neat fantasy stuff. I don't know if I like what they're doing with Mayor Toadstool though. 'Specially since I was also kinda hoping for Hop-Pop to lead a frog revolution.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It would be interesting given their relative personalities if Sasha was the irredeemably toxic one and Grime was the one who could be won over, because Sasha's the one having mental breakdowns that her friends are getting along fine without her and Grime is far more willing to let his people live their own lives, understanding that some toads just aren't as gung-ho as he is and being kind of fine with it. I could imagine Anne, Marcy, the Planters and Grime having to work together to save Sasha from something she triggers during the final fight in her blind rage. Her returning home with the others is less a happy reunion, and more placing her under house arrest.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I flipped to Nick briefly and I like The Barbarian and the Troll and the live action show Drama Club. Drama Club is nice in that there are elements of the Office here that endear it so far to me. TBATT is a nice show with puppets in it, I like the fantasy elements and with everyone being puppets, it's just very cute.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think something could happen with Marcy.

The king has some kind of plan that might be malicious, and I can easily see Marcy getting way too into it for all the wrong reasons because she may be smart, but she is real dumb about interpersonal matters. I really know the type.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

My longshot prediction (somewhat based on trailers and the descriptions for upcoming episodes) is that Sasha and Anne are going to make an attempt at reconciliation, only to be undercut by whatever Marcy and Andrias are planning. I can see that going two ways - either the betrayal splits them up, leaving Anne alone again, or it causes Sasha and Anne to unite against their common enemy of Andrias, giving us a season 3 that's more Sasha focused, with her as part of the main cast.

I am having trouble figuring out exactly what Marcy's motivations would be for that, though. She's definitely not malicious - being manipulated by Andrias, maybe, but with good intentions. But after the lesson of the First Temple was specifically about not sacrificing people or letting them get hurt for some kind of hypothetical 'greater good', it's hard to imagine her falling into that trap again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I finally got around to watching the Netflix She-Ra series. It was actually pretty good I thought though I can see why some would consider the Adora/Catra relationship to be a little toxic.

Out of curiosity as I haven’t seen it, what was Catra like in the original series and did she have any connection to Adora there as well?

That said, I’d actually kind of like it if they did a reboot like this for the He-Man side of the franchise as well one day (that is, a series with the same general tone and narrative driven setup as the Netflix She Ra, possibly with the same creative team behind it as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 13, 2021

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I could easily see Marcy as being the one that doesn't want to go back home. She has purpose and status in Amphibia that she never could have found on Earth, and whatever nefarious thing Andreas is planning on doing with the calamity box could mean a lot more to her than allowing it to be used to go home.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hey, some details came out on why OK KO ended up not getting renewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxtv05wNyC4

Apparently the show was planned to be one of the big shows on the then-upcoming Warner Brothers app that would become HBO Max, but it was ATT that had made the plan for the app, and it was only going to go live when they bought Warner Brothers, but when the merger was stalled by Donald Bad President out of spite for CNN, Warner Brothers stalled out on all its productions and couldn't renew things for another season. Which might also explain why Cartoon Network's current lineup feels a little bare.

It's interesting how many knock-on effects there are with a really bad president, kinda like how Reagan accidentally started an animation boom by deregulating advertising in kid's television. But it's also a result of corporations being way too big and having so many different interests grouped together while wrapping up a bunch of their resources in plans to get even bigger.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hey, some details came out on why OK KO ended up not getting renewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxtv05wNyC4

Apparently the show was planned to be one of the big shows on the then-upcoming Warner Brothers app that would become HBO Max, but it was ATT that had made the plan for the app, and it was only going to go live when they bought Warner Brothers, but when the merger was stalled by Donald Bad President out of spite for CNN, Warner Brothers stalled out on all its productions and couldn't renew things for another season. Which might also explain why Cartoon Network's current lineup feels a little bare.

It's interesting how many knock-on effects there are with a really bad president, kinda like how Reagan accidentally started an animation boom by deregulating advertising in kid's television. But it's also a result of corporations being way too big and having so many different interests grouped together while wrapping up a bunch of their resources in plans to get even bigger.

That's actually a drat shame, but I hope there's still the possibility of revival for some of the shows that got put off

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Pakled posted:

I could easily see Marcy as being the one that doesn't want to go back home. She has purpose and status in Amphibia that she never could have found on Earth, and whatever nefarious thing Andreas is planning on doing with the calamity box could mean a lot more to her than allowing it to be used to go home.

I'd love if Season 3 was Marcy, Anne and Grime working together with the twin goals of stopping whatever Andreas is planning while also trying to save Sasha from herself as she seems to only be getting worse psychologically speaking, and he'd probably care enough about her to put his poo poo aside to help her.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity as I haven’t seen it, what was Catra like in the original series and did she have any connection to Adora there as well?

Well, since it was the '80s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cqPZYozLyg&t=924s

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, though from what I’ve heard Adora originally being part of the Horde was actually in the original show.

Speaking of which, was every character in the Netflix series adapted from the 80’s show or were there a few new faces?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Double Trouble only ever got a toy in the original lineup, so them being an actual character is new at least. Also a lot of the connecting story revolves around Mara, the last of the classic She Ras, although I think she was more a thing with the 90s movies, not really in the original run in the 80s.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Which might also explain why Cartoon Network's current lineup feels a little bare.
i don't think their lineup is bare, but half of it is only on HBO Max

craig of the creek
tig n seek (HBO Max)
the fungies (HBO Max)
primal
close enough (HBO Max)
victor and valentino
ben 10 specials
adventure time specials (HBO Max)
we baby bears (later this year)
unicorn: warriors eternal (later this year)
gross girls (TBD)
jessica's little big world (TBD)

and then infinity train's final season is this week on HBO Max

and elliot from earth from CN Studios Europe

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

-Robert Frost

The 7th Guest posted:

i don't think their lineup is bare, but half of it is only on HBO Max

craig of the creek
tig n seek (HBO Max)
the fungies (HBO Max)
primal
close enough (HBO Max)
victor and valentino
ben 10 specials
adventure time specials (HBO Max)
we baby bears (later this year)
unicorn: warriors eternal (later this year)
gross girls (TBD)
jessica's little big world (TBD)

and then infinity train's final season is this week on HBO Max

and elliot from earth from CN Studios Europe

primal is adult swim btw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Elliot from Earth is pretty good so far. Visually gorgeous, but I’m waiting for the show to hit its stride writing-wise.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Geo Fixer posted:

primal is adult swim btw

It's produced by Cartoon Network Studios though, so it's a part of their lineup. Technically it's a co-production between CN and Williams Street but I think it was explained that much like Samurai Jack's last season, it's a CN show that airs on Adult Swim so Williams Street is also involved on paper. The offices where all the magic happens are CN's.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a conclusion i came to after browsing all the current and upcoming shows on the animation networks is that the sort of 'kids prestige' show era (look I don't know what to call it) that started with adventure time all the way back in 2010 is coming to an end. a lot of the shows in development or releasing now are episodic and safer, with the only exceptions being The Owl House and Genndy's Unicorn show (and apparently a star trek kids show that will be on a streaming service no one has)

infinity train is ending
amphibia is ending
stephen universe has ended
she-ra came and went, as well as the whole dreamworks tales of arcadia trilogy
there are only two adventure time shorts left
nu-Ducktales has ended
tangled has ended
even big hero 6 (which i paid no attention to) has ended

new and upcoming shows are like... tig n seek, the fungies, we baby bears, elliot from earth, the ghost and molly mcgee, wonderful world of mickey mouse, proud family revival, uhh sonic prime lol, a craig of the creek spin off for younger kids, the two spongebob spinoffs, the rugrats reboot

i mean it's fine, i like all different types of cartoons, it's just interesting to see the shift. maybe netflix can fill in the gap, but they like to avoid talking about their cartoons until they're a week away from airing, and then maybe they'll actually promote them the day of

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 14, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The 7th Guest posted:

a conclusion i came to after browsing all the current and upcoming shows on the animation networks is that the sort of 'kids prestige' show era (look I don't know what to call it) that started with adventure time all the way back in 2010 is coming to an end. a lot of the shows in development or releasing now are episodic and safer, with the only exceptions being The Owl House and Genndy's Unicorn show (and apparently a star trek kids show that will be on a streaming service no one has)

infinity train is ending
amphibia is ending
stephen universe has ended
she-ra came and went, as well as the whole dreamworks tales of arcadia trilogy
there are only two adventure time shorts left
nu-Ducktales has ended
tangled has ended
even big hero 6 (which i paid no attention to) has ended

new and upcoming shows are like... tig n seek, the fungies, we baby bears, elliot from earth, the ghost and molly mcgee, wonderful world of mickey mouse, proud family revival, uhh sonic prime lol, a craig of the creek spin off for younger kids, the two spongebob spinoffs, the rugrats reboot

i mean it's fine, i like all different types of cartoons, it's just interesting to see the shift. maybe netflix can fill in the gap, but they like to avoid talking about their cartoons until they're a week away from airing, and then maybe they'll actually promote them the day of
I think my favorite period was when Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, and We Bare Bears were all airing (I think) at the same time. One by one they completed their runs and I didn't really find something new to follow in the same way. I had hoped OK KO was going to take up the reins, but circumstances messed with that, and I kinda got enough of We Bare Bears after a season or two. Don't get me wrong, WBB is a great show, but I dunno if it had enough staying power for me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There are apparently two new He-Man shows coming to Netflix at some point at least (one’s a reboot and the other seems to be a sequel of sorts to the 80’s original).

Speaking of which, as someone who enjoyed the Netflix She-Ra series but hasn’t actually seen much of the rest of the franchise aside from cultural osmosis are there any other shows in the series you’d recommend checking out?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 14, 2021

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There's also like half a dozen Disney+ shows for existing IPs coming up that seem like they might be trying to build on Tangled's success, but they're probably all still at least a couple years out.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Isn't Dragon Prince coming back at some point?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

a neat cape posted:

Season 4 has been confirmed but last I checked we still don’t have an exact date yet.

Incidentally, I just watched that series for the first time recently. It’s no Avatar but it was a lot better than I was expecting

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a neat cape posted:

that show went out of my memory after the allegations. i guess it'll come back

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

that show went out of my memory after the allegations. i guess it'll come back

I’m pretty sure the guy the allegations were about had nothing to do with Dragon Prince but either way he’s gone now and the show is confirmed as going to continue at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty sure the guy the allegations were about had nothing to do with Dragon Prince but either way he’s gone now and the show is confirmed as going to continue at some point.
aaron ehasz is literally the creator and head writer of the show lol