Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've complained about the Jonah ones for being too rapid-fire myself, but my take was that they seem to be too quick on the draw — they bust out a joke before I (the viewer) have even had a chance to see what it is they're reacting to. Like, camera cuts to show something mockable"HEY LOOK AT ME I'M A BAR OF CHOCOLATE" or what-have-you.

I always had the feeling that it was most effective when you have a half-second to take in a scene yourself, and maybe get halfway into thinking of your own funny joke, before they come in with theirs. Feels more like you're watching it along with them, and also lends credibility to the idea that they're thinking of all the riffs on the fly, instead of workshopping them all in advance.

But then I started watching a bunch of classic ones and they're pretty feather-triggery too, so hmm I don't know. My memory, it plays tricks on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Arbite posted:

Huh. Last time I thought about Mac Tonight was when Strong Bad dressed up as him.

Man, Homestar Runner is the least nazi thing on the planet according to my calculations. I feel so cozy hearing those characters talk.

But yeah, Mac Tonight is listed in the ADL's symbols to watch out for.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mantis42 posted:

I remember being pretty disappointed by Spaceballs when I caught it on TV when I was like, 12. I was already a fan of other Mel Brooks movies so a Star Wars themed one was up my alley, but it's mostly a dull film outside of a couple of good bits.

I think the problem with Spaceballs is that it really is a product of it's time, Return of the Jedi was only 5 years old at the time, and we were (Space)balls deep in the VHS era. Star Wars was actually sorta fading into the background at the time, basically you had the movies and that was it. It's difficult to fathom right now that there was a glut of Star Wars products until about 1985, when it was just gone for a long time. Spaceballs itself was a bit of a metajoke, which just doesn't hit as well now that everything it's making fun of is so common place. Blazing Saddles was the final nail in the coffin of westerns, whereas Spaceballs was the opposite.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think another difference between 'Blazing Saddles', 'Young Frankenstein', and the other classic early Brooks movies vs. 'Spaceballs' and those that came later, is that in the former he's mocking genres he genuinely loves and knows encyclopedically, whereas with 'Spaceballs' and later he's making fun of things he doesn't really understand and doesn't actually like. I could be imagining it, but I think the difference in the final result is obvious. Imagine the difference between roasting a friend whose work you admire vs. being asked to roast a celebrity you've never met and whose work you don't enjoy.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 12, 2021

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

I've complained about the Jonah ones for being too rapid-fire myself, but my take was that they seem to be too quick on the draw — they bust out a joke before I (the viewer) have even had a chance to see what it is they're reacting to. Like, camera cuts to show something mockable"HEY LOOK AT ME I'M A BAR OF CHOCOLATE" or what-have-you.

This is pretty much how it felt to me too. That, and I could call out alot of jokes before they'd make them. Which is never good. I saw the Tammy and the T-rex one a while back, and I could guess every single line they'd make for the few minutes I watched. It's like you said, the second anything would come on screen, you'd know they were gonna say something about exactly that. It just felt like the writing couldn't have gone on for very long if the lines are all that obvious.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Imagined posted:

I think another difference between 'Blazing Saddles', 'Young Frankenstein', and the other classic early Brooks movies vs. 'Spaceballs' and those that came later, is that in the former he's mocking genres he genuinely loves and knows encyclopedically, whereas with 'Spaceballs' and later he's making fun of things he doesn't really understand and doesn't actually like.

I’d like to think Mel Brooks always had a Star Wars spoof on his mind as evident from History of the World: Part I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I used to be with the Mike side on the Mike vs. Joel debate too. His episodes are 'funnier', better produced, better movies, etc. However, in recent years I've come to appreciate Joel's laconic, stoner vibe. Besides, as Joel himself said in an interview when asked what he thought about the 'Joel vs Mike' debate, 'It doesn't really matter to me. It's my show.' Meaning whichever host you prefer, the brain behind MST3K is Joel. It's all his idea, his vision, his aesthetic. It's Joel all the way down.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Apropos of the thread, that kind of strikes me as Matt Groening's role in the Simpsons. The Simpsons is all his aesthetic and "vision" but I'd love to know what his actual funniest contributions to the show were.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus I appreciate that the laconic stoner vibe was totally intentional, it was the Joel "character". I think the bots in the early Mike era made some crack about "the sleepy-eyed guy"

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ror posted:

Apropos of the thread, that kind of strikes me as Matt Groening's role in the Simpsons. The Simpsons is all his aesthetic and "vision" but I'd love to know what his actual funniest contributions to the show were.

Pulling his name from “A Star Is Burns” because he was a petty dork about The Critic is about his funniest contribution to the show.

The Critic loving owns, and “A Star Is Burns” is an excellent episode.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

You Are A Elf posted:

Pulling his name from “A Star Is Burns” because he was a petty dork about The Critic is about his funniest contribution to the show.

:hmmyes:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Imagined posted:

I used to be with the Mike side on the Mike vs. Joel debate too. His episodes are 'funnier', better produced, better movies, etc. However, in recent years I've come to appreciate Joel's laconic, stoner vibe. Besides, as Joel himself said in an interview when asked what he thought about the 'Joel vs Mike' debate, 'It doesn't really matter to me. It's my show.' Meaning whichever host you prefer, the brain behind MST3K is Joel. It's all his idea, his vision, his aesthetic. It's Joel all the way down.

I don't really get into the Joel vs. Mike debate, since Mike was the head writer during all but the first season, so he was always a major creative voice. And they each have their own charms.

Joel vs Mike reminds me of Conan O'Brien talking about his show versus David Letterman's show. Basically, Letterman was above the fray and could always stop the madness, Conan wanted to be consumed by the madness and unable to put a stop to it. Joel feels like he's really running the show, and Mike feels like he's not really in control and is doing his best to deal with the madness. Joel mentioned how he was more of a father figure to the bots, and Mike was more like a brother. And I love both vibes.

Plus, Joel always gives equal footing to the Mike years.

Joel is super cool.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
new Kickstarter for new MST3K episodes!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/makemoremst3k

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
also in re the Mac Tonite thing: I'm Fairly Online and I had no loving clue. glad someone mentioned that he's now joined forces with the frog who pees with his rear end out

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hrist posted:

This is pretty much how it felt to me too. That, and I could call out alot of jokes before they'd make them. Which is never good. I saw the Tammy and the T-rex one a while back, and I could guess every single line they'd make for the few minutes I watched. It's like you said, the second anything would come on screen, you'd know they were gonna say something about exactly that. It just felt like the writing couldn't have gone on for very long if the lines are all that obvious.

Tammy and the T-Rex has not been done by MST3K?

If anyone wants to give the Jonah MST3K episodes another shot, I suggest Mac & Me from the second season. They're still rapid-fire but the riffs are way better. It actually might be my pick for funniest MST3K episode of all time, or at least top 3. The first episode of the first revival season, Reptillicus, is extremely rough. They also filmed the entire first season in a ridiculously short time so the rushed, first draft feeling of it is very apparent.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Elf posted:

Very much this. Not only possibly the best crossover episode in existence, but also a top notch golden era Simpsons ep.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Very much this. Not only possibly the best crossover episode in existence, but also a top notch golden era Simpsons ep.

And the source of a Simpsons reference that's become part of the wider cultural language to the point where people don't even realize where it's from: "said the quiet part loud".

Imagined fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 12, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If anyone wants to give the Jonah MST3K episodes another shot, I suggest Mac & Me from the second season. They're still rapid-fire but the riffs are way better. It actually might be my pick for funniest MST3K episode of all time, or at least top 3. The first episode of the first revival season, Reptillicus, is extremely rough. They also filmed the entire first season in a ridiculously short time so the rushed, first draft feeling of it is very apparent.

The first Netflix season had some good ones: Avalanche, Cry Wilderness, The Time Travelers (which is not that bad a flick really), Carnival Magic

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The second season got the feels back though. Atlantic Rim was a really strong episode that had a lot of fun with an Asylum mockbuster. And the live show they did was really great. Last big event in the before times.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Just a testament to how bad whatever the hell episode I watched was smdh

It was some movie about a guy getting his brain put in a t-rex. And I saw the exact same movie on Shudder or something a few days before. So I probably just saw that title somewhere online and figured that was it. :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I own Tammy and the T-Rex on UHD :smug:

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

The first Netflix season had some good ones: Avalanche, Cry Wilderness, The Time Travelers (which is not that bad a flick really), Carnival Magic

Starcrash and the Wizards of the Lost Kingdom episodes are also very good. Seconding whoever said Mac and Me is a top-tier episode.

Glad to see they're doing another (successful!) Kickstarter. The new seasons were definitely more uneven than the previous, but it definitely felt like everyone involved was giving it their all. Unlike The Simpsons

pooch516 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 13, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Skeleton Crew" is a pretty good gag for the frame setting

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Man, that Italy episode loving suuuuccks. I had to skip past it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

I’d like to think Mel Brooks always had a Star Wars spoof on his mind as evident from History of the World: Part I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo

hey that's the exact same song from the musical number in men in tights!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr Interweb posted:

Yuuuup

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why are they referencing a literal neo-nazi symbol?

That piano playing moon man is heavily referenced in white nationalist circles online.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Tonight

Edit: I know originally he was just a McDonald's ad campaign, but given his recent history, it's a little concerning that this happened.

Mac Tonight was cool and good and I loved his design and always liked it and it sucks that the Nazis stole it. I could care less about Pepe beig co-opted.

But yeah. They're out of touch. In 20 years we may get an episode about the Nazis stealing Mac.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ashmole posted:

VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA

That’s all I remember from the Italy episode and it blew rear end.

Mr Interweb posted:

*Keanu Reeves as Ted Theodore Logan* Whoooooaaaaaa :aaa:

Das Boo posted:

:yeah: :hfive:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ashmole posted:

You Are A Elf posted:

VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA

That’s all I remember from the Italy episode and it blew rear end.

I'm grateful for it making me realize once and for all that the show was beyond hope. :)

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm grateful for it making me realize once and for all that the show was beyond hope. :)

The episode after it wasn't terrible. So far, seasons 12-13 (around where I usually stop watching) were very weak but the ones after weren't bad but don't have any memorable gags for me which is it's weakness. I'm not looking forward to the 2010s when they switch animation styles.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The huge McDonalds here in the Orlando tourist area still has a Mac Tonight animatronic. I wonder if they'll remove it now. I had no idea he was adopted by nazis.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
At this point it's probably gonna be easier for the ADL to whitelist cultural artefacts that haven't been memed by Nazi NEETs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Failed Imagineer posted:

At this point it's probably gonna be easier for the ADL to whitelist cultural artefacts that haven't been memed by Nazi NEETs

They do this on purpose, trying to incite more cultural backlash, and they've attempted to 'claim' among other things the rainbow flag.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Totally. I think that doc "Feels Good Man" addressed it pretty well. The ADL is well-intentioned but there's a Streisand Effect-type thing going on where they are facilitating the ceding of cultural territory to supremacist weirdos. I don't have a better solution tho

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I don't either. I mean the Nazis took a rather benign image from artists and made it their own despite the artists (well, just Pepe's creator) fighting back. The ADL has to report hate images and, sadly, those are being used as such so it's not wrong of them but clearly pains the people who made it. Then you have the whole Streisand Effect thing and there are no easy answers

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The thing about Nazis and other assorted shitbags trying to appropriate stuff like the Mac Tonite guy is that in 90%+ of cases it's super obvious what they're up to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
The ADL also has its own issues with other things, mostly anything even vaguely involving Palestine.

The best solution is just to ignore them, because it's not like Nazis are ever remotely subtle, and easy to identify and to parody in Minecraft.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

deep deep simpsons cut

https://twitter.com/Yusheec/status/1382373702332002306

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The #1 way to not lose cultural touchstones to fascists is to just not cede ground to them

Pepe wasnt even a right-wing icon, he was a meme 4channers on every board used, then Hillary Clinton squirted out the worst high school essay about how it's a hate icon and everyone had to play along to avoid second-hand embarassment

Just stop doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Neurolimal posted:

The #1 way to not lose cultural touchstones to fascists is to just not cede ground to them

Pepe wasnt even a right-wing icon, he was a meme 4channers on every board used

So only a matter of time, really.