Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Invisible inc is a far better xcom game than any of the xcom games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

XCOM 2 has a nice character designer but the rest of the game sucks poo poo and better dress-up games have come out since then so there's no longer a good reason to play it

e: ^^^ this goon knows what's up, play Invisible Inc cause it's the best xcom to ever xcom. XCOM!
Invisible Inc? :xcom:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lurker2006 posted:

mgs is as dead as anything, last game was nearly 6 years ago and the ip holder has left videogames.

They had the best selling non-nintendo video game in japan last year and the second highest game over all. Their video game division profits were up every year since getting rid of Kojima (iirc) and despite covid wrecking their health club business last year they're still more profitable than they were 4 years ago.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Barudak posted:

They had the best selling non-nintendo video game in japan last year and the second highest game over all. Their video game division profits were up every year since getting rid of Kojima (iirc) and despite covid wrecking their health club business last year they're still more profitable than they were 4 years ago.

B-but, Konami got boo'd at the Video Game Awards!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The absolutely worst part of all MGS games are the incomprehensible anime storylines conjured up by Kojima

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think they're funny. Dude can't stop himself, he just goes too far and it ends up being a pretty unique piece of media because of it.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is the best one and its very clever imo. I don't think any game has made you play as a completely different protagonist than advertised without telling you.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The worst people online re videogames are the ones saying "kojima makes bad videogames"

I'm sure there was some right melt back in the 70s and 80s saying "Spielberg makes bad films" but in a similar way way to Kojima 95% of folk who hear you are lolling to themselves and thinking "haha you melt".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

*everything gets explained over and over again in excruciating detail*

"THIS IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE!"

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was thinking about that when I was playing before and chalked it up to your near-godlike powers as an Altered. To the guy that you shot until the pants came out, they were just pants. But something about the pants interacts with your guys weird time magic and now they stick bullets in your gun, but only when you make them happy by reloading them when shielded.

This is a strong theory, thank you.

This game is fun solo actually, I haven't been playing with anyone and I kind of prefer it. It's more challenging since even though the enemies are weaker there are the same amount of them which can get challenging.

QuarkJets posted:

Speed running is as much of a sport as NASCAR

You're close but racing is actually incredibly physical in a way that playing video games never is. Besides that I'd say it's pretty close

PinheadSlim posted:

I'm sorry but I genuinely do not remember it that way

The first one was definitely a lot more like that. Getting spotted and having to fight a bunch of dudes basically meant you hosed up. That was the more fun way to play, anyways.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I started playing Valhalla again (for about an hour) and drat you are so not an assassin. In Odyssey I ended up just wholesale slaughtering everyone in most encounters but it seems like the idea of sneaking up behind a lone guard when you're weak or picking them off one by one is just not in the game initially.

I guess Hitman and MGS are the only big stealth games now.

To be fair, that's KIND OF part of the story? I mean in that one you are not an assassin you're just a normal Norse warrior. You meet some assassins and do missions for them but you're not technically part of the order, at least as far as I've gotten (not far).

Origins and odyssey were pretty bad for that though. Tons of bizarrely super powered enemies and required mass fights

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

FoolyCharged posted:

I have played dk 64 100% multiple times and enjoyed it every time. I would call it a good game*

*except beaver bother. gently caress beaver bother.

This is from a few pages ago and i cant believe you all ignored it because its easily the most insane thing posted in this thread.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Thing is about stealth games is that they're surprisingly hard to do right, especially in genre constraints. Hitman is called an adventure game with guns for good reason. It's a mechanic that's not too difficult to add in various genres as a side gimmick, but if it's the main focus, you really need to commit. (and even if it's a side gimmick, you needa make it worthwhile)

Metal Gear games, especially the good ones, have an absolutely ridiculous level of attention to detail and granularity for a reason.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is about stealth games is that they're surprisingly hard to do right, especially in genre constraints. Hitman is called an adventure game with guns for good reason. It's a mechanic that's not too difficult to add in various genres as a side gimmick, but if it's the main focus, you really need to commit. (and even if it's a side gimmick, you needa make it worthwhile)

Metal Gear games, especially the good ones, have an absolutely ridiculous level of attention to detail and granularity for a reason.

I agree, I honestly usually don't enjoy stealth games. A few do it right but I still usually wouldn't want the ENTIRE gameplay to be stealth-based. Some examples of ones partially stealth that were good would be Alien: Isolation which is fun by virtue of being tense and terrifying, Horizon: Zero Dawn which I thought had a simple but satisfying stealth mechanic, and the Far Cry games because when stealth fails you can just unload on people. There was also this really fun puzzle-type game with stealth elements where you could rewind and pause and eventually work out the exact sequence of inputs you need to get past the evil robot and to the end of the level. Can't remember the name though

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

A rewind mechanic sounds perfect for a stealth game. One thing that I dislike about them is that there's often no in-game way to recover from a small mistake. Often, getting spotted once causes things to escalate until you have to murder the entire level or quickload.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

This is from a few pages ago and i cant believe you all ignored it because its easily the most insane thing posted in this thread.

I'm sure it is, but I don't have anything to say about it really since even back when it was new it was clear that the N64 was a total garbage console with no good games so I hardly played anything on it. For a hot take, I will say that if Super Mario 64 came out on the PSX it would have been considered mediocre and forgettable compared to the other platformers on the console

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Games with stealth as the primary mechanic are only good if they're 2D.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

The absolutely worst part of all MGS games are the incomprehensible anime storylines conjured up by Kojima

https://youtu.be/srTqxL_6Ysg

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 14, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Doctor J Off posted:

I'm sure it is, but I don't have anything to say about it really since even back when it was new it was clear that the N64 was a total garbage console with no good games so I hardly played anything on it. For a hot take, I will say that if Super Mario 64 came out on the PSX it would have been considered mediocre and forgettable compared to the other platformers on the console

I'd say you're loving nuts and that's as someone who loved Spyro. (which I recall a Playstation magazine review reluctantly said was quite similar to Mario 64) Mario 64 is still remembered as a classic for a reason.

The N64 is basically the quality over quantity console, with the unfortunate caveat on top of price that people went crazy for anything that was on it during those long release lulls regardless of quality.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Games with stealth as the primary mechanic are only good if they're 2D.

Mark of the Ninja WAS pretty great

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Doctor J Off posted:

i grew up with nintendo and have stanned hard itt for even the virtual boy but the 64 really was kinda garbage compared to the playstation

it just happened to hit at the right place at the right time for a shitload of people during a weird cultural generational epoch kinda thing

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I just beat sekiro and I'm having trouble deciding whether or not it is a better game than bloodborne

itry
Aug 23, 2019

We're here if you need help deciding

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i haven't beaten sekiro and haven't actually gotten an ending to BB (killed Mergo's Wet Nurse so I could get an ending, but there are yet more beasts to hunt...) but BB is way better imo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

itry posted:

We're here if you need help deciding

That's exactly why I posted my quandary!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Sekiro bored me, mechanically and thematically.

fridge corn posted:

That's exactly why I posted my quandary!

:tipshat:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I'm thinking sekiro has (by far) better gameplay, but bloodborne is the overall better game

That's what I'm thinking... for now

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Play posted:

Mark of the Ninja WAS pretty great

Mark of the Ninja is one of the few games in all of games that was good enough that I gave some thought to trying to play through it a second time extra skillfully

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

itry posted:

Sekiro bored me, mechanically and thematically.

:tipshat:

Your av disagrees

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Mark of the Ninja is also short enough that I immediately started another playthrough after beating it. It also has a kind of NG+, iirc.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Rockman Reserve posted:

i grew up with nintendo and have stanned hard itt for even the virtual boy but the 64 really was kinda garbage compared to the playstation

it just happened to hit at the right place at the right time for a shitload of people during a weird cultural generational epoch kinda thing

Early 3D stuff was just really weird, and nobody got it right the first time.

It was the worst for me since I had a Genesis and was so jealous of the people who could play Super Mario World, so that when i got a 64 and played the games on that I had a "What the gently caress is this?" kind of reaction

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

I liked the 64 a lot better than the original PS. The true 3d games on it were infinitely better than the PS1, and that's what excited me at the time. Having Ocarina of Time basically settled it for me, but there were several other really good games too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

*everything gets explained over and over again in excruciating detail*

"THIS IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE!"

No matter how much you explain nonsense in excruciatingly painful detail, it's still nonsense.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No you see she's a Plant Girl so therefore

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Words and deeds :nallears:

fridge corn posted:

Your av disagrees

Sekiro has better movement, I'll give it that.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

I just beat sekiro and I'm having trouble deciding whether or not it is a better game than bloodborne

i'm glad to hear you beat it fridge, seems we have similar tastes in games and Sekiro was just too much for me to handle (gave up around the corrupted monk), your resolve to see this and persona 5 to the end are admirable

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well known anime lover fridge corn is resolved to complete all anime video games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

sekiro has better movement and one-on-one human combat, but bloodborne has cooler environments, more interesting bosses, and allows co-op if you get stuck or just want to gently caress around for a while

Play posted:

I liked the 64 a lot better than the original PS. The true 3d games on it were infinitely better than the PS1, and that's what excited me at the time. Having Ocarina of Time basically settled it for me, but there were several other really good games too.

*gestures wildly at my avatar* but also like, siphon filter? MGS? tenchu?

plus crash team racing was a million times better than mario kart 64, and there's probably at least 1.5 games worth of truly fun and awesome levels/bosses across the Crash trilogy

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Rockman Reserve posted:

sekiro has better movement and one-on-one human combat, but bloodborne has cooler environments, more interesting bosses, and allows co-op if you get stuck or just want to gently caress around for a while

*gestures wildly at my avatar* but also like, siphon filter? MGS? tenchu?

plus crash team racing was a million times better than mario kart 64, and there's probably at least 1.5 games worth of truly fun and awesome levels/bosses across the Crash trilogy

There was also Riven: the Sequel to Myst on the PSX (but lol at even imagining trying to play Riven on PSX).

Also while I'm on the subject, somebody should Kickstart completion of Driven: the Sequel to Psyt. I'm sure it's probably aged just fine

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sekiro is better than Bloodborne because it looks better, plays better, has better music and isn't jack off material for a bunch of ex-teens who grew up loving sisters of mercy and black lipstick and nightmare before christmas.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
bloodborne is a better videogame because if you are bad you can summon help and beat the game easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Sekiro is better than Bloodborne because it looks better, plays better, has better music and isn't jack off material for a bunch of ex-teens who grew up loving sisters of mercy and black lipstick and nightmare before christmas.

this sounds like some weird personal hangup tbh but we're here if you need to talk it out friend