Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Solicitors and Saalads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Advocates and Aboleths

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Enjoy posted:

Lawyers and Liches

Leeches and Liches

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's lawyers and labyrinths

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

prosecutors and paladins

Siivola posted:

I think Proficiency is the most difficult of these to remember, because at least your gear and ability scores give you cues to guide your play: My character is a strong Elf Fighter who swings a big rear end katana he got from his mom, for example. You wouldn't need much more detail to run this dude in Fate, but D&D needs all kinds of derived stats for combat that are, honestly, not worth remembering.

the proficiency requirements can be a little stilted, and i wish there were more tool proficiencies and off the cuff proficiency mechanics because the core idea of roll attribute plus proficiency but with the skills and tools decoupled from the attributes is great, but underbaked. saying athletics is by default a strength skill when i also very frequently call for constitution athletics for example is what i mean by this. another one i call for is arcana(casting attribute) to stretch spells in ways that dont affect the game much

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

New UA is dragon stuff including gem dragonborn :3:

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/draconic-options

Wonder if this will lead to a dragon themed adventure or maybe new Dragonlance

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Syrinxx posted:

The gems seem really overpowered? "You get a breath weapon. You? You get FLIGHT"

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Just going to post Colville's Gemstone Dragonborn artwork because it is awesome

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

change my name posted:

The gems seem really overpowered? "You get a breath weapon. You? You get FLIGHT"

trust me by the time it gets printed in a book it will be successfully steamrolled into a light flavoring.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

a little bit confused by the choice of name as icingdeaths frost. flame stride seems interesting, psychic lance does loving work though and i can imagine if that spell doesnt get nerfed it will be very powerful

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Syrinxx posted:

Hot drat, they made the breath weapon not suck. Base 2d8 damage instead of 2d6, uses equals your proficiency bonus per long rest, and it only replaces one of your attacks (if you have multiple attacks). The metallic dragonborn get extra breath weapons that can either knockback or incapacitate (player's choice).

Gem dragonborn getting flight is certainly cause for pause, but it's only 1 minute per long rest, so you can't exactly base your entire character around it the way you could with an aarakocra.

This makes dragonborn actually sound fun to play.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

uses equals your proficiency bonus per long rest
I'm really liking this mechanic (which they should have started doing from day one but baby steps)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

DourCricket posted:

Is everyone else not already planning a long weekend with their DnD groups for 40+ hours of RPG goodness like we're teenagers again once everyone in the group is vaccinated? No? Just me?

Cod not DnD but yup, we're doing a BBQ and old school sleepover thing I absolutely cannot wait.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Splicer posted:

I'm really liking this mechanic (which they should have started doing from day one but baby steps)

i really wish that arcane archer was built like this for uses per day. it would make the archetype way more fun and is a very elegant mechanic. they also did something like this for monk too which was great

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sigh. I brought up this UA with my DM, and accidentally got him all riled up when I thought we were having a calm discussion about game balance. He's generally of the opinion that racial damage sources should be badly-scaling crutches that you maybe use a couple of times in early levels and then forget about. I can certainly see how a level-1 dragonborn with this UA outperforms pretty much any other race, since they get a couple of uses of a Burning Hands equivalent per long rest, which is a lot at level 1. I'm just not convinced that it's seriously overpowering once you get further on in the game and characters have more options.

Or alternately, I wish every race had a good collection of Cool poo poo they could do, and classes got adjusted to suit. I feel like a lot of the PHB classes are just minor permutations of each other, especially now that Tasha's renders moot the stat bonus issue.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hot drat, they made the breath weapon not suck. Base 2d8 damage instead of 2d6, uses equals your proficiency bonus per long rest, and it only replaces one of your attacks (if you have multiple attacks). The metallic dragonborn get extra breath weapons that can either knockback or incapacitate (player's choice).

Gem dragonborn getting flight is certainly cause for pause, but it's only 1 minute per long rest, so you can't exactly base your entire character around it the way you could with an aarakocra.

This makes dragonborn actually sound fun to play.

This was my first reaction and I hope it stays in. The last character I played to any decent level was Dragonborn and the breath weapon was so underwhelming that I rarely used it barring the stars aligning and the enemies lined up in a perfect way to make it better than literally just my normal weapon swing. That all looks really fun!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Generally looks pretty underwhelming, but still better than the old Dragonborn. Pity they don't bother to have races actually scale beyond maybe 3rd level. Flight sounds cool except it is not really that amazing, especially when it is only 1 minute per day. The Breath weapons are nice, especially with being able to take the place of only one attack instead of the whole Action, but so limited it use.

A lot of this I would probably like more if they refreshed on a Short Rest, or if they scaled beyond 3rd level for better versions of them or new abilities. Of course the same can be said for the previous races.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I like the idea of a little Kobold letting loose a big roar to scare bad guys :3:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'm a big Foundry fan but this thing I just saw on reddit could make me switch, holy crap - until it gets shut down for copyright infringement or something:

Easily turn DnDBeyond into a VTT (a free Chrome extension)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTRReyO1yf0

Imagine not having to buy up to 3 copies of the same content to play it (Paper, DNDBeyond, VTT) but just playing directly on Beyond.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Bell_ posted:

:allears: I must hear more. I had fun in a campaign set on an older Earth, but it was a vehicle to get the party into Spelljammer. I loved it certainly, but I also saw a missed opportunity to really dive deep into something like this.

Devorum posted:

I'd buy this setting in a heartbeat if it were on Itch.

I sat and typed for a week, tell me what you think

https://tristanedge.itch.io/satan-has-his-miracles

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Enjoy posted:

I sat and typed for a week, tell me what you think

https://tristanedge.itch.io/satan-has-his-miracles

Awesome! Checking it out now.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Syrinxx posted:

There was that UA dragon themed Monk (and Ranger?), does seem like WotC is gearing up for something dragon themed.

Which would be cool, dragons are pretty nifty.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i forget if it was announced, leaked, or just heavily rumored, but the next campaign setting is supposed to be dragonlance

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Or alternately, I wish every race had a good collection of Cool poo poo they could do, and classes got adjusted to suit. I feel like a lot of the PHB classes are just minor permutations of each other, especially now that Tasha's renders moot the stat bonus issue.

This is what needs to happen. Balancing the playable races around the ones with cool powers makes the game so much more fun. In 3.5 edition all of the monster races were technically playable, but they all had a level adjustment making them effectively unplayable (especially if you start at level one).

D&D 5e puts the baseline at a Tiefling or a Dragonborn rather than a Halfling, which is fantastic if you want to play a mermaid or something but kind of feels like you are being ripped off if you want to play a half-elf. I'd personally give every race from the PhB a starting feat like variant human, until a better solution can be found.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Declan MacManus posted:

i forget if it was announced, leaked, or just heavily rumored, but the next campaign setting is supposed to be dragonlance

I think it's just heavily rumored, but the rumors have some good support with the thing about "three classic settings" this year and the new Hickman and Weiss Dragonlance trilogy beginning this Summer.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Declan MacManus posted:

Come on Wizards of the coast Planescape, Spelljammer and Darksun are sitting right there :argh:

No one needs Dragonlance it is the same generic poo poo as every other setting

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There is actually a podcast called Offices & Bosses, but it's a spinoff of Hello trom the Magic Tavern and you sort of have to be up on the running jokes from the main podcast to enjoy it. Also they're not actually playing a game, it's improv around fantasy tropes where the premise is that they're fantasy characters misunderstanding how the real world works via a D&D style game based in the real world.

Also it's a premium thing - there are a few episodes hidden in the free Hello from the Magic Tavern feed if you eant to try. I enjoy it but it's very dumb humour:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rutibex posted:

:

No one needs Dragonlance it is the same generic poo poo as every other setting

Except dumber and worse

That said I'm not sure 5e has the writers and the artists to pull of Dark Sun and Planes cape. Dark Sun was basically "brom art: the setting" and I think Brom has passed away (edit: he's still alive but doesn't seem to be active), and planescape is a really whacky setting to write for and nothing I've seen from 5e makes me think they can pull it off.

edit: Can anyone alive today produce art this fan-tabulous:

https://dmdave.com/10-times-dark-sun-characters-stopped-what-they-were-doing-to-pose-for-a-brom-painting-and-flex-their-quads/

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 15, 2021

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That said I'm not sure 5e has the writers and the artists to pull of Dark Sun and Planes cape.
They should reprint The Great Modron March and call it a day.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Except dumber and worse

That said I'm not sure 5e has the writers and the artists to pull of Dark Sun and Planes cape. Dark Sun was basically "brom art: the setting" and I think Brom has passed away (edit: he's still alive but doesn't seem to be active), and planescape is a really whacky setting to write for and nothing I've seen from 5e makes me think they can pull it off.

edit: Can anyone alive today produce art this fan-tabulous:

https://dmdave.com/10-times-dark-sun-characters-stopped-what-they-were-doing-to-pose-for-a-brom-painting-and-flex-their-quads/

From what I can remember most people enjoy what Perkins has written for planescape, but god knows what product would come out for it now.
Mearls might have, or pretends to have a interest in Dark Sun, but I don't think wizards wants to touch it at all. The setting books from the MTG planes are prob going to be the only 'good' products released, as I think they have been worked on by people who actually designed them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Proud Rat Mom posted:

From what I can remember most people enjoy what Perkins has written for planescape, but god knows what product would come out for it now.
Mearls might have, or pretends to have a interest in Dark Sun, but I don't think wizards wants to touch it at all. The setting books from the MTG planes are prob going to be the only 'good' products released, as I think they have been worked on by people who actually designed them.

I just wish that Wizards would lift the restriction and let people publish homebrew Planescape and Darksun stuff of DMs guild. They refuse to write it themselves, and they refuse to let anyone else write it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The other big problem is that 5e still hasn't really implemented good psionics. So far it's just "um. . . you can take mage hand as a feat and say it's psionics I guess?"

Without an investment in a dedicated psionic power list and the willingness to let psionics be psionics -- i.e., not magic, not detectable by detect magic, etc. -- it's hard to really make Dark Sun work.

But htat would mean going back and rebuilding everything to account for psionics from the ground up.

Honestly we're probably getting to the point where a 5.5esque total revamp is necessary anyway but this is one more part of it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Honestly we're probably getting to the point where a 5.5esque total revamp is necessary anyway but this is one more part of it.

Isn't the fact that they're floating revamps of the core races a sign that this could be on its way?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

change my name posted:

Isn't the fact that they're floating revamps of the core races a sign that this could be on its way?

It would make a lot of sense, the only problem is the "loving with a good thing" issue while 5e is still succeeding

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

The other big problem is that 5e still hasn't really implemented good psionics. So far it's just "um. . . you can take mage hand as a feat and say it's psionics I guess?"

Honestly though, has any system done psionics well that wasn't a psionic-based already? It certainly was clunky in older editions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DourCricket posted:

Honestly though, has any system done psionics well that wasn't a psionic-based system already? It certainly was clunky in older editions.

I honestly like the 2e psionics handbook though I might be the only one. I feel like the main thing psionics needs is

1) a separate power list apart from just re-skinned wizard and cleric abilities

2) different mechanics that separate it from "magic" -- e.g., not spotted by Detect Magic, etc.

Otherwise why are you a psionicist? You're just a wizard in a turban.

The 2e handbook does both those things, so I like it.
The problem is that doing the first would require publishing a new book with a whole new power list and the second would require rebalancing everything else to account for which abilities interact with 'magic" and which don't and vice versa. E.g., does a beholder's anti-magic eye block Psionics? etc.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

It would make a lot of sense, the only problem is the "loving with a good thing" issue while 5e is still succeeding

I don’t think they would make anything new that is incompatible with anything already published, but I could see them producing a revised PHB with the races updated.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

change my name posted:

I can't see it. with the new starter set only being a year and a half old, and if everyone being correct that the books keep on selling well, why would they? Maybe they'll just chuck out another plaster like Tasha's for any changes. Maybe when sales begin to slump they will start work on reselling the core books to the audience, but I don't think before.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

nelson posted:

I don’t think they would make anything new that is incompatible with anything already published, but I could see them producing a revised PHB with the races updated.

Yeah, as much as we all gripe about the problems with 5e, I'm struggling to see why Wizards would do anything beyond this. They'll just put in the thing from Tasha's about flexible ability scores and the updated races and call it a day.

The system has been wildly successful and brought in a lot of new blood, and I can't imagine them doing anything to rock the boat until the sales numbers start to falter, and by all indications, things are still going exceptionally well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There was a bunch of psionics playtest stuff on D&D Beyond last year, but it's crap - you have a telekinesis feat which as you say is just reskinned mage hand, telepathy which is just reskinned message, a few new psychic damage spells and a weird set of UA subclasses that isn't there any more.

I'd like to see something a bit more complex, like a character who has a bunch of psychic damage cantrips, and every 5 points of psychic damage they inflict they get 1 point to spend on psionics effects, like mind control, telekinesis, fear, telepathy, etc. Culminating in high level psychics saving up points to just make people's heads explode scanners style.