Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Dollop is about history, so it dates pretty well, but I get you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah maybe I'll give it a shot then. I'm usually pretty behind on my active subscriptions but if I have to start commuting a lot then I'll need some space to replace NPR. I've tried to give NPR a fair shake again when I first leave home and being too lazy to connect my phone to the car and hey maybe this time it'll be interesting or i'll hear some good traffic tidbit, and after about 5 minutes I have to pull over and hook-up my phone because it's so bad. i keep falling for it again and again

it's kinda crazy how there's about a zillion true crime podcasts always showing up in the most popular lists and stuff, I don't get it. and while there's a lot of crime, the 10-20 actual interesting crime cases must have been talked to death already.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:41 on Apr 14, 2021

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I've listened to many Tides of History episodes more than twice. I don't get tired of hearing Wyman explain about how farming came about and spread. In fact I'm doing it right now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shipon posted:

honestly just a shirt of their logo would be pretty sick

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Xaris posted:

yeah maybe I'll give it a shot then. I'm usually pretty behind on my active subscriptions but if I have to start commuting a lot then I'll need some space to replace NPR. I've tried to give NPR a fair shake again when I first leave home and being too lazy to connect my phone to the car and hey maybe this time it'll be interesting or i'll hear some good traffic tidbit, and after about 5 minutes I have to pull over and hook-up my phone because it's so bad. i keep falling for it again and again

it's kinda crazy how there's about a zillion true crime podcasts always showing up in the most popular lists and stuff, I don't get it. and while there's a lot of crime, the 10-20 actual interesting crime cases must have been talked to death already.

there is no reason under Heaven to give npr a chance

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What kind of degenerate freak wears white t-shirts?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
lol

Speaking of tshirts

https://twitter.com/trashfuturepod/status/1380531478304555011?s=19

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
noone cares enough about trashfuture to put up key bits on youtube but man I wanna hear whatever riff that scifi Soviet Union shirt came from

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
i would never pay money for a podcast
i would never buy a podcast tshirt

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The only podcast t-shirt I've been tempted to buy is The Richard Gere Museum one.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Gorn Myson posted:

The only podcast t-shirt I've been tempted to buy is The Richard Gere Museum one.

ive almost bought the tokyo tv show frasier one several times

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a Loving Dog posted:

ive almost bought the tokyo tv show frasier one several times

this is the one on my mind the most. someday

https://www.teepublic.com/user/ballinoutsuper

the ballin out super shirts are on sale today!! I own the 'masculinity is a prison' one, it rules

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm still a fan of my F-Plus lapel pin, more people need to stamp buttons and cast pins

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

thotsky posted:

On average I've listened to every episode of the dollop at least three times. I'm in double digits on some of them.

the latest one about the 19th century poo poo magnate and all the corrupt tammany hall guys fighting to keep his blocks wide mountain of rotting horse poo poo in the middle of new york from being removed is loving great

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the cum town shirts are funny but you need a certain kind of social confidence to wear this stuff (as well as the ability to explain jokes to strangers so they don't beat you to death).

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

I saw a guy wearing a chapo t-shirt once

He was getting out of a convertible BMW and that kind of amused me

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

chapo has sucked so much lately i decided to give my money to nick mullen (and stav and adam) instead

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

i think our society was better when we didn't know every intimate detail of interpersonal drama about the shock jocks we listen to

we lost this battle in the 1990s

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I paid for Chapo and bought a shirt. At least the shirt is nice.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

the dollop is the finest of what google and wikipedia has to offer for "history" class as researched by an aging standup comedian, and then riffed on by another standup who reuses the same unfunny improv over and over

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the dollop is the finest of what google and wikipedia has to offer for "history" class as researched by an aging standup comedian, and then riffed on by another standup who reuses the same unfunny improv over and over

its really good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

scary ghost dog posted:

its really good

yOu CaN't Be A pOlItIcIaN yOu'Re A wOmAn WhErE's YoUr PeNiS

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Garth is funnier on Point vs. Point. It is a current eventsbpodcast.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

awkward laughter and leaving a room is a cornerstone of the Dollop's setup

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Mr Hootington posted:

Garth is funnier on Point vs. Point. It is a current eventsbpodcast.

I listened to it, but since I started with The Dollop I could never buy Gareth as a bad dude.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

garth is the worst part of the Dollop, by far. he wouldn't be so bad if he could just stay away from the extended riffs and be a reply guy. the advance by 30 seconds button gets a lot of work on any dollop episode.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gio posted:

chapo has sucked so much lately i decided to give my money to nick mullen (and stav and adam) instead
chapo is still good imo. although ive never given chapo money (besides the live shows) because they have a lot and blackwolf feed is easy to grab.

but i can't be mad at this because nick needs more cocaine money -- so good choice. i, too, contribute to nicky's beautiful broken brain

it really does show just how good they are that they're on like episode 300, and having blown through every personal anecdote/life stuff long ago, that they're only somehow getting even funnier with age

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The funniest part of The Dollop is when Gareth tries to do a sincere rant about something serious and then immediately forgets the point and loses steam. The dude can improvise seemingly endless bits but this is apparently his kryptonite.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i cant handle the dollop. they present interesting stories sometime but they force improv segments onto every notable anecdote, stretch them out to intolerable lengths, then do the same extended forced laughter after every "funny" thing they say. fingernails on a chalkboard for me

also theyre both constantly chomping off the end of each other's bits so they can get in their own one liners. they never let it breathe

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the older dollops where they got some seriously goofy moments in history were far more enjoyable than the ones about something serious

like the jetpack ep, or the weed plane ep, or any of the episodes about hats

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I saw a guy wearing a chapo t-shirt once

He was getting out of a convertible BMW and that kind of amused me

Probably one of the hosts

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the best dollop as far as banter/bits is the two parter on reagan where patton oswalt comes on. it was a good mix but oswalt obviously has better things to do, he just came in because i think i twas their 400th episode

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The Chapo ep with Dave Anthony right after Kavanaugh got confirmed is an all-timer.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Chapo Ep with him they did about the Chicago Seven was also good

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Dollop is a land of contrast.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gio posted:

Same except I gave it to Mike Recine, who needs it more

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

does anyone listen to beep beep lettuce? i've been a fan for forever but nobody talks about them. they have the most c-spam 'vibe' of any of the lot imo

I don't smoke so it just doesn't work for me at all

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xaris posted:

chapo is still good imo. although ive never given chapo money (besides the live shows) because they have a lot and blackwolf feed is easy to grab.

Yeah I'm a little confused by people who think Chapo is worse now. I only started listening maybe a year and a half ago and a few months ago went through the backlog, and the worst period in terms of being entertaining was during the 2020 primary and briefly after (the saddest episodes are the ones where they watch the Star Wars prequels), but otherwise it's pretty much the same as it's always been. The funniest episodes usually just involve Will/Matt/Felix making fun of things, with the exception of the Virgil tabletop gaming episodes (I'm sad we probably won't get more of those). My opinion of Amber sort of went full circle where I started off thinking she was bad, then realized she was correct more often than not, and then realized that even though she's right about some things she obviously has some sort of personal complex about essentially being part of the PMC herself, like the leftist version of those conservatives who live in big cities and wear cowboy hats.

TrueAnon is somewhat ironically much better for discussing actual serious topics. Speaking of which, I enjoyed their Adam Curtis episode. They did a good job of talking about a lot of stuff that I feel like a bunch of people have probably been thinking but were hesitant about speaking up about.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I bought the johannes vonk and the clogheads tshirt from trash future because I like the podcast and i haven't had anything else to spend money on for a year

fight me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

XMNN posted:

I bought the johannes vonk and the clogheads tshirt from trash future because I like the podcast and i haven't had anything else to spend money on for a year

fight me

Im seriously considering buying the what if the Soviet Union was expensive and shoddy shirt and I don't even listen to Trashfuture