Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

nights sucks poo poo through a straw so a spiritual successor being garbage would be a pretty fitting homage

I guess I have rose tinted glasses on top of owning a Saturn at the time. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

nah nights is cool

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Did someone seriously pay $500 for a 15 second Shane cameo?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQnClqCSIfk

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Nights is the perfect kiosk game, and absolutely something made worse by owning it. The best Nights game is the pinball machine in Sonic Adventure.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yuji Naka should just quit making games he doesn’t have it in him, Balan Wonderworld is such a needlessly poo poo game I dont know why they even made it in the first place.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i choose to believe that they made it because we haven't seen that kind of bad game in ages. mostly it's just obviously unfinished and rushed trash making up our bad games anymore, whereas balan wonderworld is just wrong-headed on a fundamental level.

even its name is wrong. balan wonderland flows off the tongue so much better than balan wonderworld. they could not even get the title right.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 14, 2021

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My SN30 Pro 2 came in today and I've had a chance to play with it a bit, some thoughts:
  • Overall feel is about the same as the SN30 Pro+ which is great because it was already great.
  • The Ultimate software for Android is a bit jank. Also, the software has to disconnect the controller from your Switch (or whatever) while changing mappings so it's not quite as instant as they lead me to believe. I'm sure it's fine for all practical purposes though.
  • I wish you could map the paddles directly on the controller without the ultimate software, like you can with turbo or the paddles on the Split Pad Pro. Again, I'm sure it's fine for all practical purposes.
  • The styling has been simplified a bit from the Pro+ (d-pad and face button outlines removed) and I think I prefer the Pro+ styling.
Overall it's a great controller and if you think you'd make use of the Pro 2 features then it's an obvious buy. If paddles or button mapping profiles isn't your thing though then it's not really a worthwhile upgrade over the Pro+. Alternatively if you have neither (what's wrong with you!?) I'd keep an eye out for a Pro+ if they go on lightning sale/clearance or even just used.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Also, i think someone asked, the pro 2 phone clip is 100% compatible with the pro+. Actually even better, since the clip obscures the slider on the pro 2.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Al-Saqr posted:

Yuji Naka should just quit making games he doesn’t have it in him, Balan Wonderworld is such a needlessly poo poo game I dont know why they even made it in the first place.

Ivy the Kiwi was fun

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Are there any controllers that are like a Joycon but for a Surface Pro 7?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

hatty posted:

Ivy the Kiwi was fun

I’m twelve years old what’s Ivy the Kiwi.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Are there any controllers that are like a Joycon but for a Surface Pro 7?
Yeah, they're called Joycons

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m twelve years old what’s Ivy the Kiwi.

It’s pretty much Kirby the Canvas Curse but on the Wii and starring a baby Kiwi bird. It’s not fantastic but it’s not complete trash like Balan. Also it’s ten years old apparently so maybe he lost it completely since then

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My SN30 Pro 2 came in today and I've had a chance to play with it a bit, some thoughts:
  • Overall feel is about the same as the SN30 Pro+ which is great because it was already great.
  • The Ultimate software for Android is a bit jank. Also, the software has to disconnect the controller from your Switch (or whatever) while changing mappings so it's not quite as instant as they lead me to believe. I'm sure it's fine for all practical purposes though.
  • I wish you could map the paddles directly on the controller without the ultimate software, like you can with turbo or the paddles on the Split Pad Pro. Again, I'm sure it's fine for all practical purposes.
  • The styling has been simplified a bit from the Pro+ (d-pad and face button outlines removed) and I think I prefer the Pro+ styling.
Overall it's a great controller and if you think you'd make use of the Pro 2 features then it's an obvious buy. If paddles or button mapping profiles isn't your thing though then it's not really a worthwhile upgrade over the Pro+. Alternatively if you have neither (what's wrong with you!?) I'd keep an eye out for a Pro+ if they go on lightning sale/clearance or even just used.

I really didn't need to buy the Pro 2 since I own the Pro+ and it still works great, but as a gamer with Sweaty Hands I couldn't say no to that improved grip texture on the back

all of the other impressions have thankfully made me feel better about the purchase, looking forward to when it arrives in a couple weeks

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

he was shown up by a literal fangame of his most popular property, and those games weren't exactly a high bar to clear. He was Never That Good

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Diabetic posted:

Never played Oxenfree before, and this at least made me buy Oxenfree 1 so kudos to them.

I saw that trailer and said I guess I'll see if Oxenfree 1 is on sale and try it

and I'd already bought it but never played it :vince:

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

If you bought the racial justice bundle from itch.io last summer you have Oxenfree. Also probably a bunch of other stuff you don't know about.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Ivy the Kiwi rules because the the Tool-Assisted speedruns are insane and completely unrecognizable compared to human runs, despite not actually using any glitches.

The game itself was mediocre but it was all worth it for the experience of watching a TAS of the game for the first time after playing it normally.

Human Any% in 24 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnx_FyRuyn4

TAS 100% in 15 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGPfuGzlnsQ

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The Longing looks like exactly the kind of strange, tedious experimental game that I absolutely love.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Do people say The Longing looks tedious because of the 400 days thing? Because if so, I hate to burst their bubble

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

homeless snail posted:

Do people say The Longing looks tedious because of the 400 days thing? Because if so, I hate to burst their bubble

Not necessarily, I was thinking more because the animations (particularly walking) looked...very slow.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I want the sn30 pro 2 but the inability to wake the console with it is stopping me.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i choose to believe that they made it because we haven't seen that kind of bad game in ages. mostly it's just obviously unfinished and rushed trash making up our bad games anymore, whereas balan wonderworld is just wrong-headed on a fundamental level.

isn't this the major criticism of both Yooka-Laylee and Shenmue 3? "it's just a bad game, and you've learned nothing"?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Frankston posted:

I want the sn30 pro 2 but the inability to wake the console with it is stopping me.

It's not a super big deal after you get used to just leaving a single joy con on the couch to wake the console up you swap it with the other one when the battery is low. If you have any with damage or drift that you can't be assed to send in or whatever they make excellent candidates.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Lesson learned when buying a joystick for Pac-Man 99: A square joystick gate may not be preferable. I got the Hori joystick, which has a square gate. Works against my playing, since I can hardly judge the difference of the stick pointing in one of four cardinal directions.

Returning it and getting a Mayflash f101, which has an octagonal gate.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IDK about the Hori but most square gates can be twisted to diamond gates, which are more properly what a real Pac-Man cabinet would have, a four way stick.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Read After Burning posted:

The Longing looks like exactly the kind of strange, tedious experimental game that I absolutely love.

Here's a good review for you:

https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/the-longing1

It definitely looks interesting. I don't know if it looks fun, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Takoluka posted:

isn't this the major criticism of both Yooka-Laylee and Shenmue 3? "it's just a bad game, and you've learned nothing"?
In the case of Shenmue 3 I think most Shenmue fans appreciated it was basically the same game, most of the criticism was just that it does nothing to advance the story and is an extended prologue to Shenmue 4

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I like Shenmue 3 as a Shenmue game but a lot of Shenmue 3's plot deals with the fact that Ryo Hazuki is nowhere near qualified to fight his blood enemy and stretches of it are effectively training arcs.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Shenmue 3 succeeds wholly at being exactly what a fan of the first two would want and absolutely no one else need apply. I don’t know how Yooka Laylee was viewed by its target audience but from what I played it sure seems like it accomplished what it set out to be as well.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the combat system in Shenmue 3 is abominable as is the progression system of grinding for money to do anything in the first half of the money.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm playing Astral Chain, and it's the opposite of that. I recommend it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it's me, i'm the person who'll buy Fez again. the soundtrack and vibe of that game is all time.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I don't care about Silksong because I'm bad at Hollow Knight and video games in general, but I loved Oxenfree and am hyped for a sequel.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i own the fez soundtrack on vinyl and to this day do not regret my purchase. i would also play fez 2 if phil decided to make it after all.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

alf_pogs posted:

it's me, i'm the person who'll buy Fez again. the soundtrack and vibe of that game is all time.

I put it on my wishlist. Not gonna pay more than $5 for it when I've got it on PS, PC and Xbox.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Takoluka posted:

the difference is that i get why yooka-laylee and shenmue 3 are the way that they are. those games are wrong-headed for reasons that at least make sense. they're still poo poo, but they aren't inexplicable.

balan wonderworld isn't a sequel and it isn't a game that is a blatant spiritual successor to anything. it's sorta kinda a throwback to the lovely also-ran early 2000's collectathons that you'd see on ps2 i guess, but even then, like what the gently caress is up with the suits? most are fuckin awful and/or just slight variations on other suits, focing you to switch between a whole bunch of them to use your slightly different powers in slightly different circumstances. the tims? why are they there? why is the world populated by tons of npcs, all of which disappear when you get close to them? i can't make balan wonderworld make sense in my head, i don't even remotely understand what they were going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I don't care about Silksong because I'm bad at Hollow Knight and video games in general, but I loved Oxenfree and am hyped for a sequel.

Hmm, a solid endorsement, says I, also not good at video games.