Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Pre-DH, good mix of big fat Stargell and Boog Powell types who hammered dingers and agile guys like Bert Campaneris who stole bases.

Ah, so you admit that it's just nostalgia and not objectively better or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I feel like asking PFC why he wants baseball to return to a certain era is a question with an easy answer 100% of the time

Haven't we had this discussion a million times now and kind of accepted that moving the mound back is just going to mean nothing but sicknasty breaking stuff that's even more untouchable than the sicknasty stuff of today

e: seems like it would take a lot of muscle memory correction from hitters too, not just pitchers. basically a couple of seasons of completely unwatchable baseball

but in theory Tebow could come out of retirement and being a half second behind on his swing on major league fastballs suddenly becomes an asset

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 14, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

Ah, so you admit that it's just nostalgia and not objectively better or anything.

I feel like baseball back then had a little something for everyone in a way the modern game doesn't, but it's a leisure activity and everything's subjective. Nostalgia is just as good a reason as anything else.

Like I said already, I'll bitch and moan about rules changes but I'll still watch.

Intruder posted:

I feel like asking PFC why he wants baseball to return to a certain era is a question with an easy answer 100% of the time

what's that answer?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There is no such thing as "objectively" better run scoring environment or ball in play rate, it's all aesthetics. But there are good arguments for reducing TTO rate below it's it's historically high point now to a more earthly rate.

Balls in play produce defensive action, which feels like more is happening even if hitters are reaching base safely at the same overall rate. Defense is also the most readily apparent display of athleticism, it's what makes for great webgem highlights, and thus is better entertainment for the casual fan than a strikeout.

There's also an argument for keeping these rates and run scoring relatively close to historic rates, because baseball cares so much about it's history and stats. We probably don't want to end up with 10 runs per game per team, for example.

Apr 7, 2003

As we speak, Jim Rome is on the radio complaining that games are too long. Quit writing and pontificating about baseball if you don't like it already for gently caress's sake.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Intruder posted:

Haven't we had this discussion a million times now and kind of accepted that moving the mound back is just going to mean nothing but sicknasty breaking stuff that's even more untouchable than the sicknasty stuff of today

e: seems like it would take a lot of muscle memory correction from hitters too, not just pitchers. basically a couple of seasons of completely unwatchable baseball

but in theory Tebow could come out of retirement and being a half second behind on his swing on major league fastballs suddenly becomes an asset

I don't think so, at least based on what htey are saying - the extra 1/100th of a second applies to breaking balls too.
https://theathletic.com/2518208/2021/04/14/moving-the-mound-the-double-hook-what-mlb-and-the-atlantic-league-are-trying-out-next/

quote:

HOW MUCH WILL ONE FOOT HELP THE HITTERS: We’ll let you know in six months, OK? But in the meantime, MLB has run some projections that indicate that even a one-foot move should give hitters just enough increased reaction time to make a difference.

According to MLB’s data, that extra foot means that a 93.3 mph fastball (i.e, the average velocity in 2020) will look to the hitter like a 91.6 mph fastball (average velocity in 2010). For the record, there were 8,500 fewer strikeouts in 2010 than there were in the last full season, in 2019. That’s not a coincidence.

MLB’s study also estimated that the extra foot would give hitters an additional 1/100th of a second of reaction time. That’s an undetectable difference to those of us just watching. But that 1/100th of a second is enough to reduce projected swings-and-misses by 2.2 percent.

Again, that seems microscopic, but over the course of a big-league season, it would mean thousands of fewer swings that no longer hit nothing but air. So this move is all about what it means for hitters. Stay tuned.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If your literal only goal is to reduce TTO then gently caress it why not go whole hog and make all dongs ground rule doubles and runners who walk are awarded second base instead of first to incentivize balls in the zone, whatever wacky poo poo is necessary to get the metrics you're after

Apr 7, 2003

Or just drastically deaden the ball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bring back the spitball

Apr 7, 2003

There were multiple innings in the Padres - Pirates game where a ground ball out would have gotten out of the inning and the Pirates pitchers kept insisting on pitching around guys until they loaded the bases up.

On monday Cahill pitched around Darvish for some reason and nearly walked him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

If your literal only goal is to reduce TTO then gently caress it why not go whole hog and make all dongs ground rule doubles and runners who walk are awarded second base instead of first to incentivize balls in the zone, whatever wacky poo poo is necessary to get the metrics you're after
Because home runs are only like 2.5% of PA's (compared to 1.5% historically), the main contributor to high TTO is strikeouts.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Fouls no longer count as strikes

Apr 7, 2003

Intruder posted:

Fouls no longer count as strikes

Everyone at the next Red Sox - Yankees game dies of old age

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The obvious imo places to start if we wanted to increase balls in play without making offense and home runs go crazy is shrink the strikezone while deadening the ball.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
It's hilarious that homeboy says they should play baseball the way they did in 1970 because in 1969 they lowered the mound by 5" because, you guessed it, pitchers were throwing too hard and batting averages had gotten too low

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Or just drastically deaden the ball

Yeah, again, I don't see why you think drastically modifying the most important piece of equipment in the game is fine while slightly modifying a rule is an abomination.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It's hilarious that homeboy says they should play baseball the way they did in 1970 because in 1969 they lowered the mound by 5" because, you guessed it, pitchers were throwing too hard and batting averages had gotten too low

I actually thought that's why they said that year haha.

Apr 7, 2003

more falafel please posted:

Yeah, again, I don't see why you think drastically modifying the most important piece of equipment in the game is fine while slightly modifying a rule is an abomination.

Historically balls have been much more variable than sixty feet, six inches has.

Apr 7, 2003

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Correct, they made the mound perfect and it shouldn't be changed again.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

How many people reading this thread watched a game live in 1970 and actually remember it? Not a YouTube recording but actually were at a game? I bet the number is pretty close to 0 and a lot of this is nostalgia for a bygone age.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Can we take away the gloves? Increase the chance of fielding errors and if I’ve learned anything from cricket it’s that that poo poo is funny as hell when it happens

Hell, take away the catchers glove too

Apr 7, 2003

kensei posted:

How many people reading this thread watched a game live in 1970 and actually remember it? Not a YouTube recording but actually were at a game? I bet the number is pretty close to 0 and a lot of this is nostalgia for a bygone age.

and that's just fine.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

kensei posted:

I think there is a reasonable argument for more balls in play without appealing to nostalgia.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Besides conditioning, pitchers are also taller than they were when the sport was codified, and prioritize extension much more than when the sport was codified. So, in a sense, the mound has already moved forward. I don't see any relevant difference between changing the height of the mound and changing the distance.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm not convinced moving the mound will have the desired effect, but I couldn't give a single poo poo about 60' 6" as some kind of magic number. Try it out and let's see! Shrink the zone, change the ball, I don't care, all of those things are fine.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1382371905194258432

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

but at least it was his choice

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Lmfao, the insurrection caucus is threatening the antitrust exemption again. Do it Josh, I know you won't.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bawfuls posted:

I think there is a reasonable argument for more balls in play without appealing to nostalgia.

Totally but overcorrection is what I am seeing some people wax poetically for, instead of a staged change.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its time for Baseball's favorite game. What The Hell Happened There?

https://twitter.com/TalkinYanks/status/1382406398013804547

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

kensei posted:

Totally but overcorrection is what I am seeing some people wax poetically for, instead of a staged change.
Hence my suggestion the league should set specific targets and adjust until they reach them.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
baseball in 1968 was getting unwatchable so they lowered the mound and changed the game for the better. I would assume pushing the mound back a little bit would have a similar effect.

the other way to address this problem, which is quite a bit harder to deal with,l but would be even more preferable, is disincentivizing teams to prioritize throwing hard uber alles.

I don't know how you would do it but that would have positive repercussions all the way through the game to include ending this trend where parents break their children's bodies down trying to get their velocity up high enough to make it on scout spreadsheets that basically just sort by "how hard can you throw"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

A quick, easy fix would be to actually ban foreign substances on baseballs. Would make contact much easier.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh no, the consequences of my own actions

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Moving the mound back is stupid because guys are already loving up their arms all the time as is. The game being TTO is just a thing they are going to have to deal with because 1) teams figured out efficient ways to win and thats the point of the game , and 2) at the end of the day it's on the hitters to adjust to the shift and if they don't want to then thats on them. Banning the shift is a stupid reactionary thing, like everything Manfred has done

I've seen a ton of whining about how the game is now and how things have changed so much and the product is unwatchable and so on. I think all that is overblown to be completely honest

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Moving the mound back is stupid because guys are already loving up their arms all the time as is. The game being TTO is just a thing they are going to have to deal with because 1) teams figured out efficient ways to win and thats the point of the game , and 2) at the end of the day it's on the hitters to adjust to the shift and if they don't want to then thats on them. Banning the shift is a stupid reactionary thing, like everything Manfred has done

I've seen a ton of whining about how the game is now and how things have changed so much and the product is unwatchable and so on. I think all that is overblown to be completely honest

It's probably a little overblown but they have seen 10 straight years of record # of Ks and don't want it to continue.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My personal theory is we're all the old guys complaining about how the game used to be better.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Niwrad posted:

A quick, easy fix would be to actually ban foreign substances on baseballs. Would make contact much easier.
This is not an easy fix as long as the ball itself is very slick. In NPB and KBO the ball is tacky so pitchers don't feel such a strong need for foreign substances, and the league has an easy time maintaining a zero tolerance policy on it. MLB should make the baseball more tacky.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I feel like I'm the one baseball lover here who is actually entirely indifferent to them possibly banning the shift. Same with the DH. Don't care either way.

The extra innings rules are dumb as hell and so is the minimum batters for relief pitchers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A pitch clock would lower the strikeout rate considerably. Pitchers are able to throw harder by taking long breaks between pitches. Crowds used to boo any pitcher who took to long on the mound, but now it's expected. A pitch clock also shortens game time significantly without removing any action.