Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Never used those vOv

Seems like a minor thing idk, not like one of the dozen showstoppers like loving up companion AI, quests that only work halfway, CTD's, freezes on saving when radiated and the bazillion of other things that can go wrong lol. I feel like i'm well on track on encountering every possible bug in the (admittedly heavily modded) game. YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Using this modlist, mainly Horizon, NAC and See through scopes plus a few small tweaks:

Get a crash whenever I approach Concord, usualy around the 2 bloodbug cow on the road just past red rocket.

Installed Buffout to get a crash log so I could try and find the problem along with it's dependencies, game now crashes as soon as it launches.

Tried all 3 launch methods for buffout, process, thread and addresshook, all crash on launch. Gone through logs and they say buffout is correctly installed and launching:

code:
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:277] Loading plugins
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:277] Installing vectored exception handler: success
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:278] Searching directory 'C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins' for plugins
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:278] Preload directive 'Buffout4_preload.txt' found, trying to load the corresponding library 'C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\Buffout4.dll'
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:279]     <Buffout4.dll> Trying to load
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:280]     <Buffout4.dll> Library is loaded, attempt to call initialization routine
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:280]     <Buffout4.dll> No initialization routine found
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:281]     <Buffout4.dll> Plugin loaded successfully
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:281] Loading finished, 1 plugins loaded, 1 items scanned
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:282] <ImportAddressHook> Calling unhooked function
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:282] <ImportAddressHook> Unhooked function returned successfully
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:283] Removing vectored exception handler: success
code:
F4SE runtime: initialize (version = 0.6.21 010A0A30 01D705C12269510A, os = 6.2 (9200))
imagebase = 00007FF6DC0D0000
reloc mgr imagebase = 00007FF6DC0D0000
plugin directory = C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\
checking plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\Buffout4.dll
unknown QueryInterface 00000007
registering plugin listener for F4SE at 1 of 2
plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\Buffout4.dll (00000001 Buffout4 00000001) loaded correctly
checking plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\mcm.dll
registering plugin listener for F4SE at 2 of 3
plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\mcm.dll (00000001 F4MCM 00000008) loaded correctly
checking plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\place.dll
plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\place.dll (00000001 PlaceEverywhere plugin 00000010) loaded correctly
config path = C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\f4se.ini
init complete
RegisterPapyrusFunctions_Hook
Remove just the buffout files and leave plugin preloader & Address Library in place and game launches.

had a look through buffout forum thread, there's a known issue with newer nvidia drivers, so I rolled those back, reinstalled buffout and tried again, back to crashing on launch again.

The tool I'm trying to install to diagnose a crash, causes a crash before the point of the original crash and I can't figure out why because the logs say everything is working :psyduck:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Pound_Coin posted:

Using this modlist, mainly Horizon, NAC and See through scopes plus a few small tweaks:

Get a crash whenever I approach Concord, usualy around the 2 bloodbug cow on the road just past red rocket.

Installed Buffout to get a crash log so I could try and find the problem along with it's dependencies, game now crashes as soon as it launches.

Tried all 3 launch methods for buffout, process, thread and addresshook, all crash on launch. Gone through logs and they say buffout is correctly installed and launching:

code:
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:277] Loading plugins
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:277] Installing vectored exception handler: success
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:278] Searching directory 'C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins' for plugins
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:278] Preload directive 'Buffout4_preload.txt' found, trying to load the corresponding library 'C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\Buffout4.dll'
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:279]     <Buffout4.dll> Trying to load
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:280]     <Buffout4.dll> Library is loaded, attempt to call initialization routine
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:280]     <Buffout4.dll> No initialization routine found
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:281]     <Buffout4.dll> Plugin loaded successfully
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:281] Loading finished, 1 plugins loaded, 1 items scanned
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:282] <ImportAddressHook> Calling unhooked function
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:282] <ImportAddressHook> Unhooked function returned successfully
[2021-02-18 06:24:06:283] Removing vectored exception handler: success
code:
F4SE runtime: initialize (version = 0.6.21 010A0A30 01D705C12269510A, os = 6.2 (9200))
imagebase = 00007FF6DC0D0000
reloc mgr imagebase = 00007FF6DC0D0000
plugin directory = C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\
checking plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\Buffout4.dll
unknown QueryInterface 00000007
registering plugin listener for F4SE at 1 of 2
plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\Buffout4.dll (00000001 Buffout4 00000001) loaded correctly
checking plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\mcm.dll
registering plugin listener for F4SE at 2 of 3
plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\mcm.dll (00000001 F4MCM 00000008) loaded correctly
checking plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\place.dll
plugin C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\Plugins\\place.dll (00000001 PlaceEverywhere plugin 00000010) loaded correctly
config path = C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\F4SE\f4se.ini
init complete
RegisterPapyrusFunctions_Hook
Remove just the buffout files and leave plugin preloader & Address Library in place and game launches.

had a look through buffout forum thread, there's a known issue with newer nvidia drivers, so I rolled those back, reinstalled buffout and tried again, back to crashing on launch again.

The tool I'm trying to install to diagnose a crash, causes a crash before the point of the original crash and I can't figure out why because the logs say everything is working :psyduck:

Truly this is the best hobby

Have you considered flight sims? You might feel right at home

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So it's been about half a year, but Sim Settlements 2 has finally put the last of the more obscure main quest bugs to rest.

A couple of considerations with other common mods:
- The Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch should load first, if it's there.
- Extended Dialog Interface needs a compatibility patch so certain quests (that use the dialogue wheel as a choice wheel instead of a "say this" wheel) continue to work properly. Weirdly enough Extended Dialog Interface doesn't work so hot to improve this mod, since it's using the canned FO4 voice library when the protagonist talks to any of the three dozen new voiced NPCs, and the fakey fake dialog titles are actually puttin' in work to contextualize the canned voice lines.

As you expand outward you're going to run into the need for more sensors, which will require you either to get a crafting mod that will let you make chalk (you'll see why) or use a mod like Shipments of the Commonwealth to purchase shipments of anything.

If you're at all interested in the idea of attracting unique settlers to settlements and getting new quests from them (not radiants! well, mostly not radiants, there are a couple settlers who do show up to give you new scavengey radiants) and/or teching up from dirt farms to synth gorilla preserves, it's a good time to start.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Pound_Coin posted:

:psyduck:

What does Loot say? Like, there's a separate tool somewhere that lets you repair conflicts and such if loot says there's Errors.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=943456144 (Big guide how to do this poo poo, but its actually ez)

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2737/ (FO4edit)

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Also I don't know if this mod was featured yet in the recommendations but i've been playing with this and it kinda rules :

Unarmed Gameplay Overhaul and SLIDE KICK
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/41239

and also this :

Pain Train - No Power Armor
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5099

:greencube:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So question, is there a mod currently working that allows you to outfit settlers in bulk rather than dealing with each individually? I'm trying to get back in, and I would kind of like to outfit my settlers, if only to make them less useless, but one by one is... terrible.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ashsaber posted:

So question, is there a mod currently working that allows you to outfit settlers in bulk rather than dealing with each individually? I'm trying to get back in, and I would kind of like to outfit my settlers, if only to make them less useless, but one by one is... terrible.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/44485

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I've got a weird urge to give this a spin again after bouncing off it hard back when it came out. I want to go all in on mods, is it still recommended to manually download stuff from Nexus because Vortex an POS full of security issues?

edit: do I need additional HD res mods if I can run the official HD DLC without performance issues?

the panacea fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 21, 2021

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Anyone else here using Magnum Opus and getting CTDs upon approaching Sunshine Tidings Co-op? Been a thing through two installs now.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Mod Organizer 2 is the best client but Vortex is fine and has an easier learning curve. Don’t do things manually.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Glazius posted:

So it's been about half a year, but Sim Settlements 2 has finally put the last of the more obscure main quest bugs to rest.

Sim Settlements 2 is at a stable level now where I feel it's safe to recommend it now except for maybe Survival mode. The main quest is so good that it belongs in the official-DLC store. Also the documentation is also much better than it was on release. However there were still a couple of quest-breaking bugs that required console commands to progress, most of them pertaining to Vault 81 and the Vault-Tec HQ. Be sure to grab the Rise of the Commonwealth add-on for it that adds more complex city plans into your options.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ashsaber posted:

I believe that's another thing Horizon and Sim Settlements can both do in their latest versions but it's been a little bit since I've played and those are rather large mods if that's all you want

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

StealthArcher posted:

Anyone else here using Magnum Opus and getting CTDs upon approaching Sunshine Tidings Co-op? Been a thing through two installs now.

No issues here, just cleared it out running MO

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

So suddenly my stable mod load has decided that I can’t load any of my saves without the game acting like every single mod is newly installed and all inventory items and companions that were added by mods are gone. Anybody encounter this and have any idea of how to address it?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No, but I would typically handle this by starting a new game and seeing if it repeats itself.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
So, I'm playing using Horizon and I'm having trouble. Where do you get the different alloys? How do you get higher grades of them? Why don't console commands for Horizon items work?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

So suddenly my stable mod load has decided that I can’t load any of my saves without the game acting like every single mod is newly installed and all inventory items and companions that were added by mods are gone. Anybody encounter this and have any idea of how to address it?

mod organizer profiles maybe?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Mycroft Holmes posted:

So, I'm playing using Horizon and I'm having trouble. Where do you get the different alloys? How do you get higher grades of them? Why don't console commands for Horizon items work?

The alloys mostly come from loot off legendary enemies, as I recall. I think there's also a way to make the lower tier alloys if you get really deep in the settlement crafting stuff.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I haven’t done anything with profiles on this install. The only changes I made were updating Sim Settlements 2 and Workshop Framework. I’m guessing one of those two has destroyed my playthrough.

bobsmyuncle
Feb 21, 2006

aw yiss

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Like Bremen said, if you want them legit then you have to hope you luck out with certain types of legendaries. If you want to console them to yourself, check what category the item is in. CMPO codes don't work but MISC do. For example, to add grade 9 titanium I type "help titanium 4" and look near the top of the list for MISC items. They are called "Alloy: Titanium [Grade-1]" through [Grade-9]. Depending on where it is in your load order, the code should be something like XX003040 for Grade 1 titanium.

I like Horizon but I cheat this bitch all the time because it's so RNG sensitive if you want higher tiers of stuff. It's meant to make power armor much more rare and hard to repair.

bobsmyuncle fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 17, 2021

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

:nws: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/51528 :nws:

I mean... yeah. That is definitely delivering what is advertised. But... WHY?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You know why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2dJ-JUzhVs

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Doing some thread necromancy here to note that the dude that has been pushing out Fall UI has actually done some amazing work.

I recently pruned my mods a bit, and I gave Fall HUD a shot. It's actually really loving nice, AND it works with DEF_UI presets, AND it has an in-game HUD editor if you have the MCM installed.

I then also noticed that he had an alternative to VIS/VIS-G tags that, while not quite as nuanced, are loving AMAZING BECAUSE THEY AUTO-PATCH IN XEDIT AND INCLUDE loving WEAPON AND ARMOR PATCHING.

The weapon and armor tagging can sometimes be weird (depending on the mod), but usually it's pretty easy to fix. It's do loving nice to just let a really well thought out and easy to use script just do the loving work. For the most part, it was seamless. (I had to manually edit the display name of one gun because it was showing up blank in-game.)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

That sounds incredible. I recently ripped VIS-G out of my load order because of how many extra ESPs I had to have just to patch in different mod weapons. It’s nice that somebody is considering user friendliness as part of their design process rather than whatever the hell process Gambit goes through making his mods

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gonkish posted:

Doing some thread necromancy here to note that the dude that has been pushing out Fall UI has actually done some amazing work.

I recently pruned my mods a bit, and I gave Fall HUD a shot. It's actually really loving nice, AND it works with DEF_UI presets, AND it has an in-game HUD editor if you have the MCM installed.

I then also noticed that he had an alternative to VIS/VIS-G tags that, while not quite as nuanced, are loving AMAZING BECAUSE THEY AUTO-PATCH IN XEDIT AND INCLUDE loving WEAPON AND ARMOR PATCHING.

The weapon and armor tagging can sometimes be weird (depending on the mod), but usually it's pretty easy to fix. It's do loving nice to just let a really well thought out and easy to use script just do the loving work. For the most part, it was seamless. (I had to manually edit the display name of one gun because it was showing up blank in-game.)

FallUI is stupendous, and is almost exactly what is in my head when I think of what a modern Fallout PC UI should look and behave like.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hey is there a mod that lets me have the hunger, thirst, and sleep meters from Hardcore mode but not the other stuff? I just think those things are neat to manage and don't care for any of the other things that come with hardcore. I found one for hunger and thirst but not sleep.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know if there's any specifically for the meters but you might have better luck taking the opposite approach and looking for mods that will disable the features of hardcore mode that you don't want - I know there is one that lets you save anywhere rather than needing to use beds, and there are probably others for the other features you want to turn off.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Forgot to respond to this, but you were right! I looked up "Survival Mode" and found Survival Options, which exactly fit the criteria I was looking for!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Really digging the hell out of all the new crunchy stuff added in Sim Settlements 2. I don't like that it rubs your nose in the vanilla main quest in a couple of places but other than that it's :kiss:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

First time I tried to play SS2 the quest bugged out and I couldn't progress and ended up nuking the save. Months later I tried again and a different quest bugged out and I ended up nuking the save. Not really loving it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

cheesetriangles posted:

First time I tried to play SS2 the quest bugged out and I couldn't progress and ended up nuking the save. Months later I tried again and a different quest bugged out and I ended up nuking the save. Not really loving it.

Yeah, SS2's quest portions have some conflicts with common mods.

Extended Dialogue Interface has an SS2 patch for it, if what broke was the quest about fiddling with the radio. It doesn't have any character dialogue so the XDI auto-scraper doesn't work on it.

If what broke was a quest involving a destroyed settlement, that's the most obvious place it happens but in general SS2 uses some distance-based triggering that's broken by most of the "see through scopes" mods.

I run a fairly clean modlist, mostly just UI stuff, and haven't run into any showstoppers with SS2, not that it makes your experience any better.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I needed to drop down that salvage beacon's in the locations it told me to and only one of them worked and the rest just kept saying it was an invalid location and I had the thing stuck in my inventory. I tried every location.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

cheesetriangles posted:

I needed to drop down that salvage beacon's in the locations it told me to and only one of them worked and the rest just kept saying it was an invalid location and I had the thing stuck in my inventory. I tried every location.

Oh, huh. I never ran into any issues with the prototype beacon advancing the quest. You haven't spammed enough settlements to unlock the actual salvaging system yet, have you? Mark I beacons are the official ones, prototypes are the quest objects.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

Oh, huh. I never ran into any issues with the prototype beacon advancing the quest. You haven't spammed enough settlements to unlock the actual salvaging system yet, have you? Mark I beacons are the official ones, prototypes are the quest objects.

No I just had the prototype quest ones.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I haven't had very many problems at all, overall it's less buggy than Conqueror was for me :shrug:

I only have ~110 mods installed though

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Who wants a new, overly ambitious DLC-sized mod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-EQG0C1sM

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Who wants a new, overly ambitious DLC-sized mod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-EQG0C1sM

Ole Londontown, innit

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Can anyone recommend a set of mods that would turn Fallout 4 into like a squad based shooter like Freedom Fighters? I want like 6 - 10 companions and to be in the back telling them to shoot and take cover and what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I’ve never tried it, but isn’t that exactly what FCom is?