Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
And for the record, if Chauvin is convicted I expect demonstrations and maybe a couple knuckleheads busting windows, but no riots. If he's acquitted or there's a hung jury I expect the city to get what it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

And for the record, if Chauvin is convicted I expect demonstrations and maybe a couple knuckleheads busting windows, but no riots. If he's acquitted or there's a hung jury I expect the city to get what it deserves.

I was 16 and living in SoCal at the time of the verdict for the officers charged with beating Rodney King, and I can’t help but think of some of the obvious parallels between that trial and the one for Chauvin. Highly visible in the media, the video capturing the cops in the act (albeit a lot grainier than the video taken of the cops killing George Floyd), the defenses attempt to paint King as no angel (definitely not unique to both cases, unfortunately). There was a palpable sense of tension in the city before the verdict, and I’m sure that’s how it feels in Minny. If Chauvin is acquitted, or gets off with light sentencing, well... let’s just hope that doesn’t happen and justice actually gets served.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Right now it seems the defense is presenting its case that a person being prone is not typically a cause of death. But that really seems like a dangerous road to go down, because wouldn't that further cement the fact that Mr. Floyd was killed not because he was prone, but rather because Chauvin was kneeling on his neck?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Velocity Raptor posted:

Right now it seems the defense is presenting its case that a person being prone is not typically a cause of death. But that really seems like a dangerous road to go down, because wouldn't that further cement the fact that Mr. Floyd was killed not because he was prone, but rather because Chauvin was kneeling on his neck?

This was exactly what I was thinking. It seems insane to me

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don’t think he will get acquitted at this point. But I think we have like a 25% chance min of a hung jury. That being said I am still hopeful.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Velocity Raptor posted:

I’m not sure what cops are taught or why it is so common in LE, but during physical or chemical restraint we are taught to specifically NEVER prone anyone. EVER. Even without sitting on their necks or backs.

It’s just cops being a bunch of lazy fuckwads and they don’t care if it occasionally kills someone because they so rarely face consequences.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

LeeMajors posted:

I’m not sure what cops are taught or why it is so common in LE, but during physical or chemical restraint we are taught to specifically NEVER prone anyone. EVER. Even without sitting on their necks or backs.

It’s just cops being a bunch of lazy fuckwads and they don’t care if it occasionally kills someone because they so rarely face consequences.

Yeah, one of the prosecution's witnesses a couple of days ago was talking about proper police protocol and how the only time anyone is supposed to be placed prone is to cuff them, and even then it's only supposed to be a transitory position. Once the cuffs are on and the suspect is restrained, they are supposed to be rolled onto their side, in a recovery position.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/ReutersLegal/status/1382389539428134914

yeah, they are scraping through the bottom of the barrel today.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Exhaust fumes? Get the gently caress outta here!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The fact so many cops testified on behalf of the prosecution tells me that Chauvin is pretty hosed. The blue wall doesn't break if it wasn't obvious guilt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

The fact so many cops testified on behalf of the prosecution tells me that Chauvin is pretty hosed. The blue wall doesn't break if it wasn't obvious guilt.

its less obvious guilt(the wall has stood for "worse") but also its too big and obvious to protect. everyone in the world saw this and the aftermath, they realize if this dude walks, then bad poo poo will happen and happen to them directly.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Even if that's true, why was a cop pinning a man to the ground next to an exhaust pipe lol idiot pigs

edit: AND EVEN THEN

https://twitter.com/NaomiKritzer/status/1382407231073828867

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 14, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Upon closer inspection, this barrel is empty https://twitter.com/thelauracoates/status/1382404322953138177?s=20

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Christ, this witness like to hear himself talk.

"Yes or no, sir. Is this true?"
"Yes because :words:"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Velocity Raptor posted:

Christ, this witness like to hear himself talk.

"Yes or no, sir. Is this true?"
"Yes because :words:"

https://twitter.com/LynnJBird1/status/1382409406223159299

an utter quack, an embarrassing witness

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

I understand that the defense is running with limited options here, but really? Really? That’s the best they have? That would be such a huge credibility hit if they had any credibility left to lose.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

For our next witness we will be bringing in a phrenology expert

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
What?!?! The police are becoming afraid to use force?

Well loving fantastic, I'd prefer you not using force because you're decent people but if fear's the only way then boo motherfucker!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think the defense has punched a hole through the bottom of the barrel and is grabbing around in the garbage dump the barrel was tossed in to try to find something.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

hahahaha. I’m still reeling from yesterday. “You can tell he’s resisting arrest by the angle of his elbows. He should be resting comfortably on the ground.”
Prosecutor: “...did you just say resting comfortably?!”

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
"Sir, did Mr. Floyd complain of a headache?"
"Yes, I believe he did."
"You do?"
"Well, I can't remember, actually."

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
is it done for today?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sjs00 posted:

is it done for today?

Nope, its a 20 minute break

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Fowler is the slimiest piece of poo poo I've ever seen.

Reasons George Floyd died: Hypertension, drugs, a running car exhaust nearby, an incredibly rare tumor that has caused 6 people in modern medical history to have sudden cardiac arrest.

Honestly surprised they didn't mention UV rays from the sun or 5G as contributing factors.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I offer to be an expert witness for the defense.

I need a national audience to present my ASoIaF theories to and its about as relevant to their case as their existing expert witnesses.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Fowler sounds like Microsoft Sam, except a poo poo bag

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sky Shadowing posted:

I offer to be an expert witness for the defense.

I need a national audience to present my ASoIaF theories to and its about as relevant to their case as their existing expert witnesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BBhNkywMJY

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Boy, Dr. Fowler seems to have a chronic issue with misunderstanding the questions he's been answering, or accidentally misspeaking...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I'm sorry, this shitstain give up their pension because they were afraid? What? Bullshit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
But he's "Just Asking Questions"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The entire expert witness industry, whether they be forensic pathologists or firearms experts, is incredibly shady and mostly boils down to "if you pay me X amount of money, I'll testify that, in my expert opinion, Y is theoretically possible". You're always going to be able to find someone in any given field who will tell a jury whatever you want to be true in exchange for money.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Froghammer posted:

The entire expert witness industry, whether they be forensic pathologists or firearms experts, is incredibly shady and mostly boils down to "if you pay me X amount of money, I'll testify that, in my expert opinion, Y is theoretically possible".

ehh it kind of works like that, more accurately they will broadcast what their biases / beliefs are in advance, and then if you hire them to say what you want them to say it's still "independent" expert witness testimony and not an unethical "I'm being paid to come to this conclusion" situation.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Via CNN: Chavin pleads the 5th.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Wait, the defense actually called Chauvin to the stand? I really would have assumed they’d try to avoid letting the prosecution take a crack at him. I was under the impression that pleading the 5th in your own trial is basically saying “I am guilty”.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Lord of Hats posted:

Wait, the defense actually called Chauvin to the stand? I really would have assumed they’d try to avoid letting the prosecution take a crack at him. I was under the impression that pleading the 5th in your own trial is basically saying “I am guilty”.

Its not supposed to be, pleading the 5th is just to avoid incriminating yourself, even if you are innocent.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, I misinterpreted it—he’s not testifying at all. I thought it was in response to a specific question.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CommieGIR posted:

Its not supposed to be, pleading the 5th is just to avoid incriminating yourself, even if you are innocent.

In a hypothetical world where the defendant took the stand, they are assumed to have waived their 5th amendment rights for all of the proceedings. Which apparently is not the case here - he's not testifying.

https://www.findlaw.com/criminal/criminal-rights/fifth-amendment-right-against-self-incrimination.html

quote:

At trial, the Fifth Amendment gives a criminal defendant the right not to testify. This means that the prosecutor, the judge, and even the defendant's own lawyer cannot force the defendant to take the witness stand against their will. However, a defendant who does choose to testify cannot choose to answer some questions but not others. Once the defendant takes the witness stand, this particular Fifth Amendment right is considered waived throughout the trial.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They have on right now Dr. Tobin again, calling the exhaust fumes absolute bullshit.
Hes saying his blood was normal, oxygen level was 98%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
my dad suggested something about a mistrial? I was pretty confident wed get at least a conviction on one count but freaking out a bit now