Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

evilweasel posted:

You ask the person who is relating the dying declaration for the circumstances of the dying declaration, seems easy to me. The person introducing the statement can still be crossed, the statement has to be put into evidence somehow and if it’s not the person who heard the dying declaration then you have a separate hearsay objection.

I used a written dying declaration once (made sure an old witness on a deathbed wrote down his poo poo before the trial in case he died - he died).

Both the judge and OC wigged the gently caress out and due to a fuckup in pretrial neither of the pretrial judges managed to settle the issue (it was part of a late discovery and evidence submission) so I had to demand to be able to put forward the evidence during trial, which meant halting the trial for an appealable procedural ruling. I got that, won (because why would I go through all of that poo poo if I didn't know about the specific exception that allows me to do so), had all my evidence submitted.

Still mostly lost the case though. Maybe I pissed off the judge, the judgement seemed all sorts of whack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The central unspoken unutterable truth of the American legal system is that everyone knows the whole thing has, at best, the same relationship to actual fairness that a stage play does to reality.

I do justice when I trick the new DA into giving my client a deal that will get the DA yelled at by his co-workers / supervisor / the Judge and you can't tell me otherwise

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

GrandmaParty posted:

The easiest two that gently caress judges up are "Reply letter doctrine" and "Not offering for the truth of the matter asserted but only to show that it was sent."

The bolded above drives me loving crazy because there's two judges in the courthouse which fundamentally don't seem to understand what hearsay even is.

I had a trial where a Defendant's story to police was that his counselor or therapist told them and their partner something during a session. Their partner (my victim/witness) laughed when I asked about it in prep and was like, "No, we never had a conversation about this."

So I ask them, "Did you and your partner ever discuss Topic X with your counselor?" I got a sustained objection to it and we had to go off the record because I kept bringing up all the ways the Judge was wrong in front of the jury.

- I was asking whether a conversation took place (not hearsay)
- I was not asking about what the Dr. may or may not have said in that conversation (which didn't take place)
- Even if the conversation took place, and even IF I was asking about it, it still isn't hearsay because the content of that conversation or the statement doesn't matter, only whether it took place

Judge was like, "Well the only way you ask the answer is relevant is if it's about the topic, and she can't talk about the topic, so hearsay and upheld"

That's not goddamn hearsay and a judge sustaining that is either, A) Enabling a dumb defense attorney or, B) Enabling a smart defense attorney knowingly trying to confuse the judge and get us off topic.

Another favorite is judges who ignore all the cases I give them that say, "You can use the hearsay statement itself to determine if an exception applies." You see this poo poo with 911 calls or people yelling/crying during an assault. When I'm trying to put in a 911 call of a clearly terrified victim and the defendant is like, "How does the State know if they're emotional or upset? They haven't introduced any witnesses to state that." The law says the judge can listen to the statement to determine the applicability of an exception to that statement, we don't need an independent hearing on how upset the victim was. I've had two judges ignore a page's worth of case law from every level of review to rule that I needed a separate witness to testify about the applicability of an exception.

Evidence isn't that loving hard but some judges act like the FRE is the loving Magna Carta

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Honestly " my parent is partner in a practice I can inherit" is the best reason to go to law school

You can't inherit a public defender practice.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Xtronoc posted:

Goons help me make a life changing decision. Current junior funds attorney at sole-proprietorship. I have an offer at a mid-sized firm doing general capital markets work and an interview for a cap markets staff attorney at an AM Law 50.

Mid-sized firm:
Pros: people seem nice, substantial improvement over status quo, broad corporate law training with potential tax work, offer in hand
Cons: not market salary compared to bigger firms but i'm ok with that

Staff attorney:
Pro: well-known firm, maybe in 2 years+ I can lateral elsewhere as an associate (big if???), fixed hours
Cons: stigma as staff attorney lol

Leaning towards the mid-sized firm but I appreciate if you guys have some input.
I would lean towards the mid-sized firm.

I do capital markets work in biglaw and I've worked at three different big firms. In my experience, the kind of work that staff attorneys do in cap markets is not going to train you to be a partner-track associate doing capital markets work. You'll be stuck doing uninteresting due diligence and boilerplate parts of routine SEC filings. The staff attorney job may be better for other reasons, but I don't think it's going to help your legal career progress.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
Yeah the recruiter played up the staff attorney position. Mid-sized law firm it is. Thanks everybody.

evilweasel posted:

i dont know what the gently caress funds attorneys or corporate attorneys in general do

We chase our client's money around in our offices with a broom.

builds character posted:

What are your long term goals?

How many staff attorneys have been made associate in that practice group at the big firm?

If you want to be a partner at a big firm then big firm and understand it's improbable. Otherwise, mid-sized firm.

There's a few people from LinkedIn that made it to associates. Long term goal is in-house although after chatting with the mid-sized law firm people there seems to be a place for growth.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

I used a written dying declaration once (made sure an old witness on a deathbed wrote down his poo poo before the trial in case he died - he died).

Both the judge and OC wigged the gently caress out and due to a fuckup in pretrial neither of the pretrial judges managed to settle the issue (it was part of a late discovery and evidence submission) so I had to demand to be able to put forward the evidence during trial, which meant halting the trial for an appealable procedural ruling. I got that, won (because why would I go through all of that poo poo if I didn't know about the specific exception that allows me to do so), had all my evidence submitted.

Still mostly lost the case though. Maybe I pissed off the judge, the judgement seemed all sorts of whack.

Who cares about the silly case, you are now part of an elite cadre of attorneys who actually got to use the dying declaration exception to admit evidence. Way cooler than "winning."

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

nm posted:

You might be able to inherit some clients though

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Grip it and rip it posted:

You might be able to inherit some clients though

If you don't you just haven't been there long enough

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nm posted:

no but if the parent was a public defender they've probably either gone private by now or made a zillion connections or both.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Xtronoc posted:

Yeah the recruiter played up the staff attorney position. Mid-sized law firm it is. Thanks everybody.

There's a few people from LinkedIn that made it to associates. Long term goal is in-house although after chatting with the mid-sized law firm people there seems to be a place for growth.

In-house at someone like the mid-sized law firm's clients? Because that makes the decision you've already made even easier.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

no but if the parent was a public defender they've probably either gone private by now or made a zillion connections or both.

Or they're burned up husks.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Xtronoc posted:

Most of my job is this plus yelling at associates in other practice groups because they don’t have the client’s loving org docs.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Vox Nihili posted:

Who cares about the silly case, you are now part of an elite cadre of attorneys who actually got to use the dying declaration exception to admit evidence. Way cooler than "winning."

So true. Client cared a little bit, but at the same time gently caress'm he was the defendant and had me throw all sorts of poo poo to the wall to make it stick.

Not that he should have lost outright though, but then the judge got tossed off the bench not long after and had to go back to private practice so I can't have been the only nonplussed customer.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Ani posted:

You'll be stuck doing uninteresting due diligence and boilerplate parts of routine SEC filings.

:sigh:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

nm posted:

The gently caress you say about my momma?!?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Grip it and rip it posted:

The gently caress you say about my momma?!?

Burned up, not used up

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nm posted:

That's probably an "and" not an "or"

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

For those of you who work in big law, what sense are you getting from your offices about what their plans are for remote work going forward? My office hasn't announced anything concrete, but it isn't exactly a secret that management is jonesing for asses in seats 5 days a week. I really, really do not want to go back to doing that and I hope that is not the way the industry is headed.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Not biglaw but we’ve been asses in seats since May 2020. Only a 10% office Covid infection rate, one ventilator, no fatalities. Get back to work.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

No one here (Bay Area) is planning to return to office for at least a few more months.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

No one here (Bay Area) is planning to return to office for at least a few more months.

This is a same in a lot of smaller offices too, or limited in office hours.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bold Robot posted:

For those of you who work in big law, what sense are you getting from your offices about what their plans are for remote work going forward? My office hasn't announced anything concrete, but it isn't exactly a secret that management is jonesing for asses in seats 5 days a week. I really, really do not want to go back to doing that and I hope that is not the way the industry is headed.

Nobody will be asked to be back in the office before September. Beyond that I think there will be more tolerance for working from home but nobody knows yet. Partners also have gotten somewhat accustomed to no commute!

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Bold Robot posted:

I’m at an NYC firm. We’ve been full remote (but allowed to come in if we wanted) since March 2020, and management has said that no one will be required to come in before 2022.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
In my office, about 75 total employees, we are in the office but remote for court. All attorneys are vaccinated and most staff. Staff who aren't vaccinated can work from home still.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Large company in-house here. All indications are we will not be required to come back to the office maybe ever. My boss asked everyone what their preference is, and said it was fine if that included "never darkening the door of corporate HQ again."

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

My org just basically gave the okay for vaccinated staff to return to the office if they wish. Nothing mandatory.

Non vaccinated staff cannot return yet.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Bold Robot posted:

Biglaw firm that's been fully work from home since March 2020. Active encouragement from HR to come back to the office "whenever you feel ready," but the same HR folk have also let us know that they're currently putting together an "expansive" post-covid remote work policy. The feeling I get is that a substantial amount of remote work will be allowed post-covid (at least for my position), but that occasionally I will still need to come into the office, and that I will need to be ready and available to do so when requested.

I personally will need to return to the office starting in May because I am a part of a trial team for a large trial starting at that time. If not for this trial, then I don't think I would be asked to return to the office in any capacity until August or September at the earliest.

Kefit fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 10, 2021

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Texas biglaw. Same wrt nothing concrete yet, but one of our associates told the partners that she intends to move to San Antonio and the partners told her she can stay with the firm until WFH is over, after which she gets the boot.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
State agency - Office can accommodate 50% of rated capacity. We can go to the jails as long as we are fully vaccinated and double masked. Jury trials are resuming under modified and very objectionable conditions.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

She did public defense her whole career and retired. She readily admits to being burnt out by it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I expect partners will come in 2-3 days a week generally and associates will be five days required at first year up with a gradual easing up to partner level. And all highly group dependent. If your boss is coming in five days a week they’ll probably want you in too.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

89-ish attorney, single-office firm. I imagine we will never have a requirement that you come back to the office, but the soft expectation will be that you be back in the office sometime in July. There will be folks who don’t, but if you’re younger and need to be seen to get work, you will figure out quickly that you have to be in office to get integrated. If you’re more senior or have your work pipelines lined up, gently caress it do what you want.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Bold Robot posted:

NYC big law. I think more people are likely to leave the officer earlier (6-8pm) to head home, eat dinner there, and be more comfortable working at home the rest of the night. But there isn't going to be some massive shift to working from home.

I think there will be substantially less travel for useless things like mediation (just doing them remotely since it was already heading that way anyways with things like the 2d Circuit CAMP mediations that were all done by phone).

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

builds character posted:

I expect partners will come in 2-3 days a week generally and associates will be five days required at first year up with a gradual easing up to partner level. And all highly group dependent. If your boss is coming in five days a week they’ll probably want you in too.
My firm was like this pre-pandemic (though the senior management hated it). Once we're back in the office I can't imagine that anyone will be required to come in 5 days a week, and I'm sure there will be plenty of partners who are 1-2 days a week tops.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
From what I know most firms target labor day, but again you have partners and associates that bought real estate in the burbs/travel 2+ hours to and from NJ/CT that can't be assed to go back

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
We've been remote since March 2020 at my big law firm and they keep pushing the official back to office date back. I think it's October now but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until next year. We've been allowed to go into the office, though, on designated days if we wanted.

My particular practice group is now fully remote regardless of the back to office date so I can now work wherever I want from home so long as I'm barred in the state and we have a license to operate.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Small company in-house here. We have been 100% remote (with exceptions made for internet interruptions, etc.) since April 2020 and I don't believe we'll be going back until everyone is fully vaccinated, and even then we will have WFH options. Pre-pandemic I was WFH Fridays and some Tuesdays since my day starts early then. I'll probably go back to remote Tu/Fr, maybe Monday as well, depending on if I have a nice office or not (we moved during the pandemic and my last office was a windowless dungeon that had dozens of boxes stored in it).

But we are the G&A of the main team, which is on the other side of the country, and we have people all over the world who work remotely, so WFH was already implemented for us and will probably still be a big part of our culture forever.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

FWIW I had a second round interview with a DC big law shop today and what I was told is that they're expecting folks, once vaccinated, to "start" coming back to the office in July, and even then it'd be a few days a week and not daily for a while yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oOwQ4GZncQ