Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/gifs_baseball/status/1382149355302481921?s=19

Apparently if the glove had connected with the ball this would be a three base penalty. What a dumb rule, fielders should be allowed to throw their gloves to knock down balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chamale posted:

A pitch clock would lower the strikeout rate considerably. Pitchers are able to throw harder by taking long breaks between pitches. Crowds used to boo any pitcher who took to long on the mound, but now it's expected. A pitch clock also shortens game time significantly without removing any action.

If I had the money I would go to every single game I'm able to attend and heckle anyone that steps out of the box or takes a walk off the rubber for more than whatever amount of time that seems right, usually ten or fifteen seconds. If you're not at the rubber or in the box, you're not playing loving baseball, you're standing around.

As it is I do that at the games I do get to go to, because gently caress that dilly-dallying. Play the loving game.

We don't need clocks, we need shame. Shame.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nodoze posted:

Moving the mound back is stupid because guys are already loving up their arms all the time as is. The game being TTO is just a thing they are going to have to deal with because 1) teams figured out efficient ways to win and thats the point of the game , and 2) at the end of the day it's on the hitters to adjust to the shift and if they don't want to then thats on them. Banning the shift is a stupid reactionary thing, like everything Manfred has done

I've seen a ton of whining about how the game is now and how things have changed so much and the product is unwatchable and so on. I think all that is overblown to be completely honest

The Shift is extremely easy to pull off. Hitting to the opposite field is incredibly hard.

It skews way too much toward the defense

CBS posted:

It's easy to sit here at a computer and say a lefty should see a wide open left side and either hit it or bunt it that way. It's quite another to face a 100-mph fastball with the possibility of seeing that pitch instead be a 93-mph slider and not only make contact but control where said contact sends the ball.

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 14, 2021

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ban the shift, but also if a hitter complains about any call they get kicked out of the game and a 25 game suspension. Defensive players and pitchers get infinite complaining.

Edit: This has the benefit of promoting hitting for average because if you're a baserunner you're allowed to be on offense AND complain to the umps about balls and strikes.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 14, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

replace the traditional ball with a wiffle ball

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The shift is not an issue and making rules against it won't accomplish any of the stated goals.

Here is league-wide BABIP by season for the entire live-ball era. The prolific shifting all happened within the last 10 years and you can't even see it in this data.

The shift is not causing BABIP to fall and forcing players to sell out for power. Banning it won't increase balls in play.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Meanwhile, here is the actual issue: strikeouts

edit: further context showing all components of TTO

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 14, 2021

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Whoa now don't bring data into it. It's about my baseball feelings, man.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bawfuls posted:

What happened in 1980-ish?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I think part of the reason there are more K's is that pitchers are just better now too

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

What happened in 1980-ish?
If you look at the K-only graph you can see that K% was also rising steadily from about 1930 till 1965-ish.

My theory is that the downward trend from the mid-60's till 1980 was primarily the result of the expansion era (talent pool dilution has favored hitting generally), plus the lowered mound in 1969 and the addition of the DH in 1973.

Nodoze posted:

I think part of the reason there are more K's is that pitchers are just better now too
Yes, and we even know why. Pitchers are specifically able to leverage modern technology to train for increased velocity and to tailor their spin planes/location/sequencing to be more effective.

The explosion of data in the past 5-10 years has been a bigger boon to pitchers than hitters, in aggregate.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 14, 2021

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

bawfuls posted:

Thank you for this, I didn't realize that it was pretty much only strikeouts that are the problem. Homers may be up but they are such a little blip relatively.

Apr 7, 2003

limit pitcher height to 6'2"

Put a sign on the mound saying "you must be below this height to ride this ride"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah home run rate hit an all time high in 2019 of 3.63% compared to 2.25% in 1960 and 1.61% in 1930.

So while home runs are nearly double historical rates, and that is certainly noticeable, they are as you said a blip compared to the strikeout rate, when it comes to reducing the number of balls in play.

What I find interesting is how stable walk rates have been historically. Even with all these other metagame changes, walk rate just kinda hovers between 7-10%. I suspect that if they shrunk the strikezone, walk right might tick up initially but then would level out back near this historic rate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

RIP

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1382429747641077760?s=21

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bawfuls posted:

If you look at the K-only graph you can see that K% was also rising steadily from about 1930 till 1965-ish.

My theory is that the downward trend from the mid-60's till 1980 was primarily the result of the expansion era (talent pool dilution has favored hitting generally), plus the lowered mound in 1969 and the addition of the DH in 1973.
Yes, and we even know why. Pitchers are specifically able to leverage modern technology to train for increased velocity and to tailor their spin planes/location/sequencing to be more effective.

The explosion of data in the past 5-10 years has been a bigger boon to pitchers than hitters, in aggregate.

Thanks!

Where are you getting these charts?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Am I dumb or that's gotta be a covid outbreak?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

:shepface: yikes

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

Thanks!

Where are you getting these charts?
The data is readily available on Fangraphs leaderboards. You can set it to show data league-wide, sort by year, and there's a button to export the data to a .csv file which I just pasted into Google Sheets.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
There's a component to reactionary rules changes that just feels...arbitrary. Like decreeing thus illegal but the only real justification you can muster is that you don't really have any idea what to actually do about it.

The seven inning doubleheader seems particularly egregious to me; basically every baseball stat is predicated on nine innings or some aspect thereof but regularly shortened games becoming an accepted variance rather than a wild outlier makes this clearly a new era of stats. Hooray the guys who figure out how to compare deadball-era guys to 70's players, I guess. Same for the runner on second: one of the inviolable rules of this dumb game was that getting on base was directly attributable. Even the dropped third strike is a K and an E2, though the inconsistency in number of outs (vs Ks) always bugged me.

I dunno. I'm all for a more moment-to-moment appealing game and if strikeouts are the prime culprit there maybe The Baseball Gods oughta take a glance at what's letting pitchers throw harder and with more variance longer and more regularly than shuffling the other eight guys on the field who've got little to do with it.

Basically ban the DH and the relief pitcher and you'll get the baseball you want, nerds.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

limit pitcher height to 6'2"

Put a sign on the mound saying "you must be below this height to ride this ride"

Mechanical mound that automatically raises/lowers based on the height of the pitcher.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Your theory concerning the trend in the 60s reveals the true answer to our problem. Give us 6 (!) more teams. Dilute that talent pool baby.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

holy poo poo that's half the team

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Baseball is like the only sport that doesn't gently caress with its rules. It's just so ridiculous to me that we think it's totally fine that ballparks have different outfield dimensions and other weird quirks (there was a hill! with a flagpole on it! like 5 years ago! you can hit a 302 ft homer at Fenway! one team plays with significantly less dense air than other ones) but the location of the mound cannot be changed, ever, even if it means that the game just gets worse every year.

Hitters are going to try to hit elevated line drives because that approach makes you win more baseball games. Pitchers are gonna throw harder and nastier because that makes you win baseball games. If we don't like the results of players optimizing their strategy to win as many games as possible, we can change the rules to make those strategies less effective! That's how literally every other sport does it.

loving NFL football used to have final scores like 10-6, and the league decided people wanted more offense, so they *changed the rules* to make it easier to score. You can just do that, it turns out!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Pussy Boss posted:

holy poo poo that's half the team

A grand testament to the whole "full capacity, no restrictions, vaccines are a choice" system.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Hope Manfred has been paying attention to Blaseball cause they have some good ideas. Give us big buckets. Let hitters bat again if they hit a home run. Add a base. loving murder a player every once in while to keep the team on their toes.

Apr 7, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

A grand testament to the whole "full capacity, no restrictions, vaccines are a choice" system.

We’re going to see hospitalizations and deaths tick up in Texas in about five weeks and nothing will have been learned.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

alpha_destroy posted:

Hope Manfred has been paying attention to Blaseball cause they have some good ideas. Give us big buckets. Let hitters bat again if they hit a home run. Add a base. loving murder a player every once in while to keep the team on their toes.

With all the weird poo poo in Spring Training this year, they came dangerously close to inventing the Shame rule, and I definitely want that.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

more falafel please posted:

With all the weird poo poo in Spring Training this year, they came dangerously close to inventing the Shame rule, and I definitely want that.

OG baseball had the shame rule! I learned that from Effectively Wild. But yes, bring that poo poo back for sure.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

more falafel please posted:

As much as I hate the runner on in extras rule, this would make it worth it. Maybe then the Twins would wise up some.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/alexjstumpf/status/1382438921615912964?s=21

Probably fine

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ckamka/status/1382439153229557763

I believe (that this team can grab the 2022 #1 overall pick)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Good point on the strikeouts v shift

I won’t talk about the shift anymore

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

STAC Goat posted:

Am I dumb or that's gotta be a covid outbreak?

I can't imagine how that happened

https://twitter.com/runnercece/status/1380342106749820931

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Actually, they're chanting We Want Virus

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/ckamka/status/1382439153229557763

I believe (that this team can grab the 2022 #1 overall pick)

That Tiger's end of year batting stats are an abomination unto the LORD. _Three_ Players with OPS+ higher than average and 2 of them barely. Alex Sanchez wasting what few times he was on base getting thrown out stealing. Just amazing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

adaz fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 14, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Back when the $1,200 stimmy checks went out I made a really dumb impulse buy of a bobblehead based on this photo:

It came today and I have zero regrets:

And yes, that's a real autograph, not screen printed (which tbh was probably what pushed me over the edge on buying it)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bawfuls you actually changed someone’s mind in the internet

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

adaz posted:

That Tiger's end of year batting stats are an abomination unto the LORD. _Three_ Players with OPS+ higher than average and 2 of them barely. Alex Sanchez wasting what few times he was on base getting thrown out stealing. Just amazing.

well you can't bring up Dmitri Young without me longing for STEAKGROWSONDMITRI :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

Bawfuls you actually changed someone’s mind in the internet
i've done it before and i'll do it again :unsmigghh: