Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

This is not an easy fix as long as the ball itself is very slick. In NPB and KBO the ball is tacky so pitchers don't feel such a strong need for foreign substances, and the league has an easy time maintaining a zero tolerance policy on it. MLB should make the baseball more tacky.

Why is this a problem? If the ball is a little slicker, you can't throw a 94 MPH slider with pinpoint control. You might actually need to take something off to throw strikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Why is this a problem? If the ball is a little slicker, you can't throw a 94 MPH slider with pinpoint control. You might actually need to take something off to throw strikes.
Because enforcement is actually quite difficult (the Pineda type violations are pretty rare) and if the ball is slick then pitchers have heavy incentive to break the rule.

If the ball is tacky then the benefits of adding sticky stuff are diminished, making it less appealing to do in the first place.

Also there is little evidence to support the claim that the extra grip helps control (this is an excuse pitchers use). What it helps is spin rate.

edit: the reason this has become a more prevalent problem in recent years is again because of the available technological tools. Pitchers can now use high speed cameras and trackman data to quantify exactly how much increased spin and break they get by using sticky stuff. It's not just "oh yeah this makes my stuff better" it's "this makes me 20% more effective and I have data to prove it" which means the incentives to increase grip are as strong as they've ever been. (Plus teams are now selecting based on spin rate and velocity so even amateur players have heavy incentive to up their spin rate) So just standardize it by making the ball tacky and then address the improved pitching stuff via other changes like shrinking the zone or moving the mound.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 14, 2021

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Because enforcement is actually quite difficult (the Pineda type violations are pretty rare) and if the ball is slick then pitchers have heavy incentive to break the rule.

If the ball is tacky then the benefits of adding sticky stuff are diminished, making it less appealing to do in the first place.

Also there is little evidence to support the claim that the extra grip helps control (this is an excuse pitchers use). What it helps is spin rate.

You can enforce it if you want. Pull a fraction of the baseballs during a game and test them for foreign substances. A multi-billion dollar operation can do this if they want to.

And that's great news if it only helps spin rate.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

adaz posted:

That Tiger's end of year batting stats are an abomination unto the LORD. _Three_ Players with OPS+ higher than average and 2 of them barely. Alex Sanchez wasting what few times he was on base getting thrown out stealing. Just amazing.

The Dodgers were an even worse hitting team that year yet they still managed to win 85 games because they only allowed 556 runs (compared to the Tigers 928)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Niwrad posted:

You can enforce it if you want. Pull a fraction of the baseballs during a game and test them for foreign substances. A multi-billion dollar operation can do this if they want to.

And that's great news if it only helps spin rate.
Do you enforce it on a team basis? How do you prove it was the pitcher who applied the stuff to the ball?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Ban pitchers, then.

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA
Still hating the fact that Trevor Bauer was “singled out” by the MLB for substance(pine tar)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Do you enforce it on a team basis? How do you prove it was the pitcher who applied the stuff to the ball?

You can follow the path of a new ball. Just have an ump randomly pull a few baseballs out each game that haven't been put in play or passed around.

This is a league with the ability to track the literal spin rate of a baseball and the exit velocity off a bat. They can figure out a way to track and test baseball if they want to.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It does seem odd that anyone would think baseball might have chain of custody issues.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I for one am eager to watch the circus around Bauer dodging punishment based on a chain of custody argument ala Ryan Braun

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA
I just wouldn’t be surprised if the MLB has it out for him

bawfuls posted:

I for one am eager to watch the circus around Bauer dodging punishment based on a chain of custody argument ala Ryan Braun

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
gently caress Trevor Bauer

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA

Popete posted:

gently caress Trevor Bauer

Cubs fan huh?
I’d be more worried about your team not* hitting over .200.

Chamuska fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 15, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hopefully worrying how to dodge MLB punishing him for doctoring balls will distract Bauer from his preferred pastime of harassing women on twitter.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I like* watching Manfred gently caress with the sliders and make up new rules trying to turn baseball into something else.

It's inspiring, in a way, that a man who so clearly hates baseball can make himself very consequential in the game of baseball.

*hate

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

IcePhoenix posted:

Back when the $1,200 stimmy checks went out I made a really dumb impulse buy of a bobblehead based on this photo:

It came today and I have zero regrets:

And yes, that's a real autograph, not screen printed (which tbh was probably what pushed me over the edge on buying it)

Nor should you

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Chamuska posted:

Cubs fan huh?
I’d be more worried about your team not* hitting over .200.

Wait what why do you have to be a Cubs fan to hate on Trevor Bauer? The dude sucks

Chamuska
Apr 8, 2018

AgreegrA

No Safe Word posted:

Wait what why do you have to be a Cubs fan to hate on Trevor Bauer? The dude sucks

Bruh yesterday he went
7 IP 1 H 0 ER 9 K
I don’t think he sucks at baseball but I guess if it’s a personality thing that I can understand

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Chamuska posted:

Bruh yesterday he went
7 IP 1 H 0 ER 9 K
I don’t think he sucks at baseball but I guess if it’s a personality thing that I can understand
he's a huge chud and harasses women on twitter how are you posting on the internet about baseball and unaware of this?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chamuska posted:

Bruh yesterday he went
7 IP 1 H 0 ER 9 K

Also beyond what bawfuls said if you're not up to date on the whole saga, the reason Bauer has been singled out is because he's been blatantly abusing grip enhancing substances for a while now, and all but publicly daring MLB to do something about it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

bawfuls posted:

he's a huge chud and harasses women on twitter how are you posting on the internet about baseball and unaware of this?

Also he's a smug rear end in a top hat who has smartest-guy-in-the-room syndrome but since he mostly only associates with ballplayers and idiot fans...

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Just found out that as of today, SiriusXM moved all MLB channels to a higher, premium tier. Been a subscriber since 2005 and this was one of the biggest reasons why, and now they pull this with literally no warning. No emails, no message on the app, just gone. So long xm, I guess - gently caress if I’m paying even more money for what I was getting at an already high price for 16 years

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's funny that the yankees are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worried about getting lefty righty matchups that they hit bad lefty hitters 3rd but they built a roster that has no good lefty hitters.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

No Safe Word posted:

Manfred just pitch multiball come on

That's my special football rules do not steal

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Not strictly Mlb related but anyone else who has The Athletic notice that some articles are appearing multiple times? On my homepage or feed or whatever it’s called. Not all of them, but 4-5 of them are on there twice. Not a big deal I guess but it was confusing for a minute being like hey, I already read this

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
On the topic of making baseball more enjoyable to watch, I'm an extremely strong proponent of the pitch clock. We have two loving leagues full of Steve Traschels. It makes the games significantly longer, and since so many fewer balls are in play you can go 4-5 minutes without seeing anything in play. Pitchers can loving suck it up and deal.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Bucs have earned at least a split against the Padres, nice game tonight

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

everyone turn on the white sox game right now

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
implement pitch clocks but batters can only step out once during each AB

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

everyone turn on the white sox game right now

lost the perfecto because he hit a guy's shoe

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
fuckin roberto perez

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is this the quickest ever in a season to two no hitters?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

still got the no no!

Great for Carlos Rodon whose entire body has been surgically replaced.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

few things more loving villainous than a dude down 8-0 making no effort to get out of the way of a slider grazing his shoetops to end a perfect game bid, jeers to the coward Roberto Perez.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
he's no philip humber

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ramirez went hard to try for an infield single in the top of the 9th, was that a villain move? It's never a crime to hustle to get on base. Trying for bunt hits, or leaning into a pitch, is a villain play, but when a pitch is about to hit you you're allowed to do a bad job dodging.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

That's a tough pitch to get away from, I don't think it was intentional. I think trying to get HBP to break up a perfecto would fall under the "chickenshit" umbrella though

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chamale posted:

Ramirez went hard to try for an infield single in the top of the 9th, was that a villain move? It's never a crime to hustle to get on base. Trying for bunt hits, or leaning into a pitch, is a villain play, but when a pitch is about to hit you you're allowed to do a bad job dodging.

A hitter's job is to get on base, not display their honorable baseball bushido. If the game is close, you've got wheels, and it's the 9th inning of a no hitter, loving bunt and try to help your team rally to a win.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it's gonna be tite when they throw at his head tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i would simply get out of the way of the pitch and then hit the next one over the fence for a ding-shot