Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

to be fair the noise gate could have just been working really well

That's what I thought until google brought me someone's napkin diagram of how to hook one into the signal chain and I realized I can't read arrows.

Works great now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hook a wah up backwards make cool whale noises

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

Hook a wah up backwards make cool whale noises

loop a DOD Death Metal into itself and declare yourself a "Noise Artist"

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Gramps posted:

loop a DOD Death Metal into itself and declare yourself a "Noise Artist"

Lol bought one last summer just for my feedback loop board.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

For some reason, pedals go right to left.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

duodenum posted:

I googled this at some point and found a theory that the reason is that because most guitars are right-handed and have their output jacks on the right, the inputs of pedals are on the right to avoid having to cross your cable when operating them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

And now the stupid is coming from me, guess who plugged in her noise gate pedal backwards and took an embarrassingly long time to figure out why no signal was getting through at all. Related, gently caress led ceiling lights.

We've all been there. I think I've done it multiple times, with multiple pedals.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

duodenum posted:

Frank Caskelot posted:

I googled this at some point and found a theory that the reason is that because most guitars are right-handed and have their output jacks on the right, the inputs of pedals are on the right to avoid having to cross your cable when operating them.

Yep it's this. It's still weird as hell though and takes some getting used to.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So what you're saying is someone needs to start a boutique line of left-handed pedals.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Huxley posted:

So what you're saying is someone needs to start a boutique line of left-handed pedals.

TCS plethora X5 is left handed for effects order and it's a loving nightmare

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

hadn’t thought about it before, but multi fx like the Helix, GT and RP series all display fx routings from left to right.

Zoom Multistomp is right to left.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I once played with a Fender Blender reissue. It sounded great but also loved to keep the vintage L->R setup. Stumped me at first why I had no signal.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Noise Killer is a good name for a pedal.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Feedback Destroyer allways made me smile.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

There ought to be a noise gate called the Sonic Reducer.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Only if I can get it in Cheetah Chrome.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Only if I can get it in Cheetah Chrome.
He and David Thomas are both still alive, so it could be like official Rocket from the Tombs merch, which would be hilarious.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

W424 posted:

Feedback Destroyer allways made me smile.

I like that the Buzzkill pedal looks as boring as the name implies.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Band name idea: Voldemort and the Cunts but branded as You Know Who and the You Know Whats

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Band name idea: Voldemort and the Cunts but branded as You Know Who and the You Know Whats

Whoah, there ARE bad ideas in brainstorming.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Frank Caskelot posted:

loving righties.

Huxley posted:

:hmmyes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/scalzi/status/1380891688105820166?s=20

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JesustheDarkLord posted:

That would own.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Jason Isbell: "If I Was a Beginner Guitar Player, I Wouldn’t Use a Maple Fingerboard"

I don't want to spoil his reasoning, but it is definitely stupid music poo poo.

Also, his secondreason, that a Telecaster Custom should have a rosewood board, is wrong whether he means a 70's Custom or a double bound 60's Custom. And if it's a 60's Custom, it needs a maple board Strat neck, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXasKYQnL6o

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

He's right, no one has ever enjoyed music made on a maple fretboard. It's literally impossible, and one of the main reasons everyone knows James Marshall Hendrix is a loving hack who built a career on having a fortunate middle name.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Music only sounds good when played on instruments made from endangered trees.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

i generally prefer the look of rosewood tho

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Maple is ugly on fretboards and maple laminate tops are bad too

In my own narrow minded opinion

The syrup is good though

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

He's just talking about his own preference. The stupid music poo poo is Guitarplayer.com taking a line from another site's interview and running with it. Because of toanwoods I guess.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol I love when Dr. Tonewood pops by to pay a visit. Almost as much as I love when Dr. Original Op-Amp Tube Screamer stops by.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Not to boomer it up too much, but you can definitely hear the difference between necks on a guitar. I did some experiments a few years back with a cheap strat and a few necks that were bangin around the shop and pretty much everyone could pick out the maple vs rosewood double blind.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Gramps posted:

Not to boomer it up too much, but you can definitely hear the difference between necks on a guitar. I did some experiments a few years back with a cheap strat and a few necks that were bangin around the shop and pretty much everyone could pick out the maple vs rosewood double blind.

That's hard to confirm though, because you can't test fretboards without testing the entire neck and headstock they're glued onto, which themselves account for like 95% of the neck's total mass.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gramps posted:

Double blind? You had the person playing the guitar not know what neck they were playing? I also believe a lot more in the feel of fingerboards being different than the tone, so even blindfolded I believe there would at least be subconscious differences in playing.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding what the guy is saying but why would you recommend beginner guitarists to us something that is more "forgiving"? Isn't it better for a beginner guitarist to hear their mistakes so that they can figure out what they need to improve on?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

BonHair posted:

Double blind? You had the person playing the guitar not know what neck they were playing? I also believe a lot more in the feel of fingerboards being different than the tone, so even blindfolded I believe there would at least be subconscious differences in playing.

Recorded both guitars and played them back blind. Edit:err same guitar with the different necks

GreatGreen posted:

That's hard to confirm though, because you can't test fretboards without testing the entire neck and headstock they're glued onto, which themselves account for like 95% of the neck's total mass.

This is true. We got as close as we could with shape/weight/etc

Gramps fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 14, 2021

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'd love for some genius to come up with a 100% modular guitar so you could do hot-swap tests to see what does and does not matter re: a guitar's sound. A lot of side-by-side comparisons on Youtube are useless because they involve a fresh set of strings, which will inherently have a huge impact on tone.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Lester Shy posted:

I'd love for some genius to come up with a 100% modular guitar so you could do hot-swap tests to see what does and does not matter re: a guitar's sound. A lot of side-by-side comparisons on Youtube are useless because they involve a fresh set of strings, which will inherently have a huge impact on tone.

Not quite what you're looking for but there is this thing that Samuraiguitarist showed off years ago.

https://youtu.be/3GZuVXL4hZE

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
If you have $15k laying around, you can get a Birdfish guitar. The cylinders parallel to the neck are under tension from the neck to the bridge and can be swapped. This is more of a body tone wood replacement though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

homewrecker posted:

Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding what the guy is saying but why would you recommend beginner guitarists to us something that is more "forgiving"? Isn't it better for a beginner guitarist to hear their mistakes so that they can figure out what they need to improve on?

There are multiple schools of thought on this.

If you're a total beginner just dipping your toes in the water to see if you like guitar at all, some people believe the best possible thing to encourage continued playing is to make playing fun and seemingly possible right now. So anything to cover up mistakes and just help make the act of making noise more fun is better. On the other side, if you know from the word go that you're going to be doing this for a long time and really want to get respectably proficient asap, then yeah it might be best to play through a more revealing rig so you can really hear what's going on.

However, when it comes to fretboard wood... in that context it basically doesn't matter at all. Like Lester Shy posted above, the newness of your strings will make much more of a difference than whether your board is rosewood or maple.

Besides, the actual best possible thing you can do for your playing (besides just playing as often as you can), more than any piece of gear you can buy, is to record yourself and listen to it after the fact. That way the muscle memory and fun of playing won't interfere with your perception of what you sound like. Believe me, you'll hear exactly where your shortcomings are, and once that's revealed, you can work on improving it directly.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Unless you're playing fretless, the strings shouldn't be touching the fretboard anyway.