Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Merijn posted:

You need 8 people on the same server. If we get 8 goons together on the Discord we could try, sure.

What's the Discord? I'll log on to help out, haven't played in a while. I can probably bring a few people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It's https://discord.gg/sa6JRKTCAx

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I can't believe how much fun this janky game is especially with friends.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Why? Rare makes good games.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I finally got around to finishing the first chapter of Battletoads. My stuff should drop in like a week.

Evil Con Carne
Nov 30, 2004
Joo go back to burger king where you came from

Thought I missed my chance at the battletoads set cause i noticed the event ended last year, but it kicked in.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

dialhforhero posted:

Why? Rare makes good games.

trying to setup a crew party can be pretty janky sometimes. this is like the only game i've had to use win+g to see invites that i can think of

also this game rules lol

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Thief posted:

trying to setup a crew party can be pretty janky sometimes. this is like the only game i've had to use win+g to see invites that i can think of

also this game rules lol

Eh, that’s bullshit Microsoft proprietary software poo poo. Just like Origin or Steam, etc. not Rare’s fault.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My newbie crew of three had our best evening with the game so far.

We went out on a Gold Hoarder voyage, which was fairly uneventful. We spotted a shipwreck on the way home, and there were no other vessels anywhere around, so we anchored and started looting. When I climbed back aboard, there was a player standing on our deck. I started fumbling for the weapon buttons, and he quickly said "Wait, I'm friendly, I'm friendly! Just wanted to say hello!"

My crew uses Discord to chat and had turned off our in-game microphones, so we couldn't reply, but we hopped around on deck and started playing a shanty. After a minute, the guy bid farewell and hopped overboard.

There wasn't another ship anywhere to be seen, and I didn't see where he went. He just appeared and disappeared. I guess maybe the shipwreck we found had been his? He didn't steal any of the treasures we'd already brought aboard, so I have no idea.

It was nice to finally run across another player who didn't immediately open fire.

We played a bit longer, doing a couple more voyages and some random side quests. We decided to cap off the night by suicide-sailing for a ghost fleet (we counted at least ten ships in the distance!).

On the way, we came across a skeleton crew sloop and decided to engage. We'd never beaten a skeleton ship before - the two we'd tried previously had been galleons and kicked our asses pretty hard. With me on the wheel and sails, my buddy on the cannons, and my wife on repair duty and backup cannons, we sank the sloop.

I know, not a huge accomplishment, but it was our first sea victory, and it felt amazing. We salvaged a ton of treasure from the wreck, probably more than the night's voyage rewards combined.

It was a super rad night of gaming all around, so I figured I'd share it with the veteran seagoons.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

That's a good story :) I've been pounded into the water by Reapers so often, I always assume everyone is hostile forever. Which is 99% always the case.

Anyway, new season starts next week!
https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1379448441080799232

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

WhiteHowler posted:

There wasn't another ship anywhere to be seen, and I didn't see where he went. He just appeared and disappeared. I guess maybe the shipwreck we found had been his? He didn't steal any of the treasures we'd already brought aboard, so I have no idea.

Player shipwrecks despawn very quickly so that wasn't his ship. He might've shot himself over from his ship while you were underwater or just sawm over from a nearby island to see what you were up to. My crew and I regularly check out other ships like that to see if they're running valuable missions or have good loot to steal.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

We regularly steal player ships and use them as battering rams against other player ships. You'd be surprised how often people go afk, and if you bring a gunpowder barrel aboard when you steal the ship they have no choice but to let you run the show. The most they can do it scuttle, but a surprising number of people will go along with it

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
New season starts tomorrow, and as far as I can tell, Rare hasn't said a word about what will be in it.

I'm guessing a similar structure where you do a bunch of deeds(?) and get a paltry amount of gold, coins, and occasional themed cosmetics.

My three-player crew still plays most evenings. We generally just avoid other player ships, and honestly would be just as happy playing on a private server, except it sounds like those aren't going to let you keep any currency you earn.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
What is there to even do in this game that isn't the same three types of quest for rewards I couldn't care less about? Does more varied stuff to do become available as you level up? The friends I play with don't like PVP much and seem to enjoy the grind rear end garbage, but one of them just gifted me the game so I feel obligated to play with them.

I like the sailing but the only things I've had a crazy amount of fun doing was water skiing on a skiff grappled to the back of our galleon during a storm--which owned, fiercely--and doing a USS Cole on player ships with a skiff loaded with explosives. I want more dumb dicking around to piss off my friends with while they try to do boring fetch quests and click on skeletons. What other sorts of silly poo poo can I try to get up to?

Also, this game really makes me miss the hell out of the Battlefield Pirates mods for BF1942 & BF2. I'm still sort of blown away by the fact that we can now walk around on moving ships without sliding or rubber banding overboard.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

treat posted:

The friends I play with don't like PVP much

Yikes.

This sounds harsh, but if you can consider just getting a refund. Screwing with enemy players is the only real part of this game.

I think the only thing you can do to screw with your own party is timing blunderbombs to ruin certain actions that must be held.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
:tinfoil: Rare don't announce season changes because they know people will complain about the lack of content each time.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Yeah the majority of cool stuff in this game involves tricking other players and general PVP

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

treat posted:

What is there to even do in this game that isn't the same three types of quest for rewards I couldn't care less about? Does more varied stuff to do become available as you level up? The friends I play with don't like PVP much and seem to enjoy the grind rear end garbage, but one of them just gifted me the game so I feel obligated to play with them.
My crew prefers to avoid other players, and we're having a blast with it.

You do get a few more mission types as you rank up with the different factions, but they're mostly variations of what you're doing now (find pieces of a vault map and unlock the vault, fight ghost ships, etc.).

Rewards are limited to cosmetics and currency (to buy cosmetics), and nothing else carries over from session to session, so there's no actual progression or "leveling up" your character's abilities. A newbie crew is technically on the same playing field as a crew with hundreds of hours of game time. Same ships, same weapons. Some people love it for this (only skill matters in PvP), and some people seem to get bored when the only new thing to work toward is a pretty new pegleg or sail pattern.

If your crew doesn't like PvP at all, this might not be the best game for you. My crew only engages players in self-defense, and we know we'll probably lose and can laugh about it as our ship sinks. If that kind of thing would ruin your group's day, there are lots of great team co-op games they might prefer. Deep Rock Galactic is excellent for a regular play group; it has a good progression curve for the first 100-ish hours, and there's no PvP at all.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

WhiteHowler posted:

New season starts tomorrow, and as far as I can tell, Rare hasn't said a word about what will be in it.

I'm guessing a similar structure where you do a bunch of deeds(?) and get a paltry amount of gold, coins, and occasional themed cosmetics.

My three-player crew still plays most evenings. We generally just avoid other player ships, and honestly would be just as happy playing on a private server, except it sounds like those aren't going to let you keep any currency you earn.

There's a trailer for season 2, but the only obvious things announced in it are a new fort type and a barrel hide emote. There's more stuff hidden in it though. ;)

https://youtu.be/NKkVBQU1_5U

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
My friends just got Pirate Legend (I’m level 49 merchants :geno:) but I have to say I’ve been really unimpressed with Athena’s quest.

Haul your rear end across the map doing all three of the quests you’ve done tons of times before and get less money for it. The emissary flag also doesn’t increase unless you pick up Athena’s loot, which is like 1 in 10.

Am I missing something?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

moosecow333 posted:

My friends just got Pirate Legend (I’m level 49 merchants :geno:) but I have to say I’ve been really unimpressed with Athena’s quest.

Haul your rear end across the map doing all three of the quests you’ve done tons of times before and get less money for it. The emissary flag also doesn’t increase unless you pick up Athena’s loot, which is like 1 in 10.

Am I missing something?

Nope.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

moosecow333 posted:

Am I missing something?

Get a crew together to blast through thieves' run maps. Learn to hate the sight of mermaid gems.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

treat posted:

I like the sailing but the only things I've had a crazy amount of fun doing was water skiing on a skiff grappled to the back of our galleon during a storm--which owned, fiercely--and doing a USS Cole on player ships with a skiff loaded with explosives. I want more dumb dicking around to piss off my friends with while they try to do boring fetch quests and click on skeletons. What other sorts of silly poo poo can I try to get up to?

Also, this game really makes me miss the hell out of the Battlefield Pirates mods for BF1942 & BF2. I'm still sort of blown away by the fact that we can now walk around on moving ships without sliding or rubber banding overboard.

Yeah I don't know what to tell you. The people I play with love the grindy stuff but when I play with them we just fly the reapers flag. You ought to try to get them to try it out, killing others is easily the best part of the game.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Come join the discord! There are a few of us playing very regularly

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
as someone that plays specifically to find encounters with other players i still wouldn't recommend refunding. there's so much to do whether you're solo or even with a totally random crew.

if your friends are boring maybe put the reaper flag up when they aren't looking. there's a non-emmissary one in the flag box that will ping your ship on the map for everyone on the server

or when you see other ships on the horizon you can just wait till your crew isn't looking and steer the ship directly at them then say woops i was afk

or hop in a rowboat and check out the world while your pve friends rake in free gold for you. this is the easiest way to sneak onto ships that are parked at random islands. once on board you can use the Hide emote to curl up and hide your nametag. or just go up and kill/talk to them. you can take whatever they have put it on the rowboat and escape. outposts light up at night so you don't even really need a map to find a place to sell whatever you steal.

worst case scenario is your friends will lock you in the brig for not helping them

but really, just play with other people if your friends are lame. the game is great overall but at its best when you have like-minded players. it has one of the best stealth/pvp metas i've ever seen in any game and if you're bored you can always just hop in the sloop arena for instant action

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Today I went solo to gently caress around and see what was up with season 2 stuff.

I was surprised to see just how much you get for doing shipping missions.

Also, I sailed over to the reaper chest and got there just before another sloop did. We duked it out but I handily defeated the two guys. As they tried to board me I killed one but the other just chilled at the wreck for the reaper chest. I then logged because it was time to eat.

I cannot think of a more dick thing to do than not even loot the chest after fighting over it for 30 minutes.

I don’t care that the other guy probably sailed back with a new ship to loot the chest after I logged.

Basically a big :chord: and I don’t even care tbh.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

dialhforhero posted:

Today I went solo to gently caress around and see what was up with season 2 stuff.

I was surprised to see just how much you get for doing shipping missions.

I think Rare changed the xp curve thingy for gaining renown, and now it's ridiculously easy. Last season, the biggest tryhards took about a day to get to renown level 100. This season, it took them 3 hours. :geno:

Method: start Tall Tale 8 (Revenge of the Morningstar), make your way to checkpoint 2. At some point, infinite skeletons will spawn - including skeleton captains. Murder them all, don't progress the Tall Tale. Have someone leave, cancel the TT, have crewmate join back, restart checkpoint. Repeat.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My crew had the weirdest thing happen last night.

We were sailing along in our brigantine when we spotted another brigantine with its sails up near a small island. We thought about doing a quick drive-by burglary, but as we approached they unfurled their sails and started moving. We had a strong tailwind, so we decided to just pass them and rang our bell as we went by. No shots were fired by either side, and we were watching closely, even checking the hold for unwanted passengers. We quickly left them far behind, and they didn't seem to be pursuing.

After a couple of minutes we got on course for our quest destination, when suddenly our front mast completely broke. The seas were calm, we weren't near any rocks or beaches, and the only ship we could see was the brigantine that was now close to the horizon. We heard no shots, and I was at the wheel looking back and likely would have seen incoming fire from them.

My crewmates got to fixing the mast. I glanced down in the hold and realized it was almost full of water. I started bailing, but it was already too late.

I have no idea what happened. The player ship was too far away to have hit us, and there were no sounds or vibrations that would indicate taking fire. I had been down in the hold checking the map a couple of minutes earlier, and I saw no leaks, no water, and no players hiding out. We were going too fast for anyone to sneak aboard; even if they had, I don't know how they'd break the mast and cause that much damage without alerting us.

Has anyone had anything like this happen? We fortunately weren't carrying any treasure, but it was kind of a bummer to not understand why we sank. The only thing I can think of is that we'd recently gone through a server merge when departing our previous outpost, but we never saw anyone else.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Sounds like a TNT barrel explosion. Either one of those dudes snuck one on board, or you ran into one that was floating in the water.

Possible you ran into one, and for some reason didn't hear the explosion, but still took the full brunt of the blast.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Yeah, hitting a floating powder keg is the only thing that'd make sense but the ship gets rocked real good when that happens, in my experience. There'd have to be one hell of a bug to not get the sound nor the movement.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The floating powder keg seems most likely. It's just weird because none of us noticed a particularly loud boom other than the mast cracking, and if there was fire, it was completely contained below decks. Might have also been a bug - we'd gone through a server merge a while before, and we've seen that do some bizarre things.

Tonight we ran into a lot more players than usual. Most were friendly, and the only ones who fired on us (while we were anchored and selling in the outpost) then came over and fixed our ship. But then they started firing at us with our own cannons, so we scuttled because we were done for the night and had just lowered our emissary flag before they arrived.

Fun game.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 22, 2021

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Thief posted:

as someone that plays specifically to find encounters with other players i still wouldn't recommend refunding. there's so much to do whether you're solo or even with a totally random crew.

if your friends are boring maybe put the reaper flag up when they aren't looking. there's a non-emmissary one in the flag box that will ping your ship on the map for everyone on the server

or when you see other ships on the horizon you can just wait till your crew isn't looking and steer the ship directly at them then say woops i was afk

or hop in a rowboat and check out the world while your pve friends rake in free gold for you. this is the easiest way to sneak onto ships that are parked at random islands. once on board you can use the Hide emote to curl up and hide your nametag. or just go up and kill/talk to them. you can take whatever they have put it on the rowboat and escape. outposts light up at night so you don't even really need a map to find a place to sell whatever you steal.

worst case scenario is your friends will lock you in the brig for not helping them

but really, just play with other people if your friends are lame. the game is great overall but at its best when you have like-minded players. it has one of the best stealth/pvp metas i've ever seen in any game and if you're bored you can always just hop in the sloop arena for instant action

These are good tips. The group I play with tries to avoid PvP at all costs and its getting boring and super lame. I'm gonna try these.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Still have to actually encounter the new fort thing. It's never there when I go looking for it, and it's often there when I can't go to it. :(

Today's patch fixes a bug that allowed you to redeem multiple commodity crates, quadrupling your profits. I made three million gold last night doing this, it was great while it lasted. 💸 💸

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
After not playing for a few months, we decided to log in for a quick game last night, on a brig, on a server with 3 galleons flying 4- and 5-mark reaper flags somewhat near one of the new forts that someone finished moments after we finished gearing up. I'm unsure what the situation was before we logged in, but we headed right for them, hoping for some fun, and found 1 of them in a running shooting match with an unflagged sloop and the other 2 loitering elsewhere, looking suspiciously like they were headed towards the reapers to sell loot.

After chasing off the one who sunk the sloop, we steamed towards the fort and found it had been looted of all except two ancient gunpowder kegs, which we immediately loaded and headed toward the galleon now parking at Reaper's Hideout. They had nosed into the reef and weren't able to navigate out before I sideswiped them and got a few cannon shots off on their deck while my buds jumped off and took the gunpowder chests to them, resulting in a near immediate, violent sinking. Snatched up that flag and sold it, and immediately logged off.

shiffty
Apr 8, 2009
What’re the recommendations for when you’re trying to alliance up with friends in two boats?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

shiffty posted:

What’re the recommendations for when you’re trying to alliance up with friends in two boats?

There is no in-game way to do this legitimately, and that is by design.

There are two methods to do this that aren't really intended, and can be pretty hard to pull off.

Method 1 is to find a ship with pubbies and convince or bribe them to invite a friend of yours to their crew and have them log out once your friend is in, then have friend invite the rest.

Method 2 is to get as many people as possible, use a VPN to set every one of you to a remote region that's not likely to have a lot of players on at that time, then all boot up the game on separate ships all at once and hope that it loads a new server for you and puts you on the same one. Do this over and over until it works. This is the method that Alliance Servers use, where they have a big Discord server of people who try to control an entire server and all ally together.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Master Twig posted:

Method 2 is to get as many people as possible, use a VPN to set every one of you to a remote region that's not likely to have a lot of players on at that time, then all boot up the game on separate ships all at once and hope that it loads a new server for you and puts you on the same one. Do this over and over until it works. This is the method that Alliance Servers use, where they have a big Discord server of people who try to control an entire server and all ally together.

The VPN isn't really required unless you're in disparate geographic regions. Just get your friend to the 'Set Sail' button, count down to 'Push', and go. I've setup alliances with my friends three or four times by doing that with less than 6 countdown attempts. Ask your friends what outpost their ship spawned at and what world event/Reaper Bounty/Reaper ships they see to determine if you ended up on the same server or not.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Master Twig posted:

There are two methods to do this that aren't really intended, and can be pretty hard to pull off.

Method 1 is to find a ship with pubbies and convince or bribe them to invite a friend of yours to their crew and have them log out once your friend is in, then have friend invite the rest.

Boy people who do either of these things sound really suck rear end to me

shiffty
Apr 8, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Greatly appreciate the advice. There’s six of us who have all been getting into the game and we try to all get one night a week playing game together - this has been this biggest hurdle to us all playing Sea of Thieves together for a bit.

I can see why they intentionally design against it, but wish they’d also have a method for groups larger than four to play together. A two ship maximum could add some interesting dynamics - two sloops running around in tandem is a different play style for a group of four, while two galleons could be marked a la reapers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Skyarb posted:

Boy people who do either of these things sound really suck rear end to me

People who tell other people they can only play the game in their 'correct' way suck rear end, in my opinion.