Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mordja posted:

Final version of Wolfendoom:BOA slated for the end of the month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV6VjlgAA5s

i hope this version doesn't run like poo poo even on newer computers for a change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

i hope this version doesn't run like poo poo even on newer computers for a change

Even with a 1080Ti I'll turn off a bunch of the fancy stuff to not make my PC yell for help.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mordja posted:

Final version of Wolfendoom:BOA slated for the end of the month.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV6VjlgAA5s

I can't wait to download this

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

UnknownMercenary posted:

It was a garbage bullet spongey mess at launch, with a really stupid and nonsensical enemy weakness system. The co-op barely worked as well. There weren't checkpoints of any kind so dying at the final boss encounter of a mission sent you all the way back to the start.

I think some of these issues were eventually patched but it was really rough out of the gate.

Flannelette posted:

Half assed co-op stuff and bullet sponges.

i only played it well after release so i can't speak for how it was out the gate, but the co-op worked extremely well, and checkpoints all made sense for the most part if you ate it without any lives left

re: bullet sponges, i... eh? they're baically Crysis level bullet sponges, shoot them in the head

Barudak posted:

The levels in Youngblood are a mess, enemies are extremely boring and spongey, the game is 99% grinding the same areas with respawning enemies, the powers you get are forgettable.

disagree on the powers but i will agree that the game should have had more poo poo opening up for the number of times you return to the same areas

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i should say that i only picked it up after the final content patch came out so i have no idea how bad it was on release

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It had a really dumb vulnerability system where certain enemies would only take damage to certain guns, which were denoted by a bunch of very similar looking icons. It didn't make much sense and it was difficult to parse in the heat of the moment.

Looking at the patchnotes, there's a line that says "Took a variety of actions to reduce the feeling of enemy “bullet sponginess”" but doesn't specify further. I just remember early on trying to use a shotgun in close quarters and it was ineffective because of their stupid damage system and it was loving terrible.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that system still exists to a certain extent, but it's more like the guns that fit the armor type do more damage, instead of the wrong guns doing no damage

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks for all the thoughts on TNC, people. I'm gonna lower my expectations and give it a shot. And then install The Old Blood, which I never got around to when it was released.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
All those wolf games are on game pass, if ya got it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wait, new colossus had DLC? drat I must have skipped that entirely. Any good or is it best avoided?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

UnknownMercenary posted:

It had a really dumb vulnerability system where certain enemies would only take damage to certain guns, which were denoted by a bunch of very similar looking icons. It didn't make much sense and it was difficult to parse in the heat of the moment.

Looking at the patchnotes, there's a line that says "Took a variety of actions to reduce the feeling of enemy “bullet sponginess”" but doesn't specify further. I just remember early on trying to use a shotgun in close quarters and it was ineffective because of their stupid damage system and it was loving terrible.

I remember Killing Floor 2 tried something similar at one point and it was similarly terrible, eventually they switched over to a much more mild version that made sense

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Kinda retro-related but Serious Sam 4 has been really good so far. Definitely a big step up from 3, especially with how they give you lots of attachments for weapons making everything in the arsenal very viable. Shooting feels a lot better too, and having critical damage (finally!) makes killing most enemies a lot faster and more satisfying when you hit. Hell, even the pistol is viable, and that's before dual-wielding. It's weird that you can get the assault rifle early on via a side mission, but they don't really give you that much ammo to use with it until the thing is "officially" introduced like three or four levels later. Think about it - you're supposed to get the assault rifle after the rocket launcher. Other than that, great stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wait, new colossus had DLC? drat I must have skipped that entirely. Any good or is it best avoided?

i played all of em yet couldn't tell you a single thing about any of em

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Narcissus1916 posted:

It did! And it sucked! And my claim to fame is that I think my review on Steam is currently the highest-rated negative review for the DLC product page.

If you’d like my autograph, please PM me some pictures of your feet.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

site posted:

i played all of em yet couldn't tell you a single thing about any of em

They're fine, although the fact that they're apparently not canon is weird. I assumed they'd be telling little side stories and introducing characters that might show up in future sequels and I guess that's... not what they intended. They each focus on a specific type of gameplay and each has one of the three upgrades, so the stealth lady can be a bit fiddly, while the football player gets to vaporise Nazis by running into them. It's just... that's what it is. More TNC, so if you liked TNC for the most part, like me, they're good for a run, but if you were iffy on TNC, you should probably just skip them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I need Dusk for Switch :negative:

C'mon, Dave... Release date, teaser.... anything.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
the comments about Youngblood versus what people like site and I experienced have made me think through something slightly different

in the Bad Old Days, patches certainly seemed few and far between, and even then those patches would never seem to change core game mechanics or systems. am I forgetting something?

along those lines, what was the first single player FPS to have this happen?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Tim Thomas posted:

the comments about Youngblood versus what people like site and I experienced have made me think through something slightly different

in the Bad Old Days, patches certainly seemed few and far between, and even then those patches would never seem to change core game mechanics or systems. am I forgetting something?

along those lines, what was the first single player FPS to have this happen?

It was more the core changes happened in version .9, .8, 1.0 beta or earlier etc and then the 1.1/1.2 box release was more or less set in stone until the expansion pack.

I think half-life episode 1 patch was a notable watershed for this.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 13, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think it was a pretty gradual change that kicked off with SiN in 1998 and solidified by about 2010/2011 when Microsoft removed the patch limits on the 360.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm assuming this is for the neat little games you can play in the MFD.

https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1381689776370184193

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm assuming this is for the neat little games you can play in the MFD.

https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1381689776370184193

Kick please just finish the game I'm begging you

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Kick please just finish the game I'm begging you

:same:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The HL1 version of MMOD looking p. fancy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/AmazonFCBezos/status/1381993400627499013?s=20

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't understand any of this.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A chunky update just dropped for ULTRAKILL. If you're bad at it, there's two new easier skill settings. If you're good at it, there's two new secret levels, one of which requires you to rack up a Perfect ranking on every single other level that's available right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hszelincU8

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't understand any of this.

That's Cruelty Squad and groverhaus.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Forget it, Jake...

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's Cruelty Squad and groverhaus.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

The Kins posted:

A chunky update just dropped for ULTRAKILL. If you're bad at it, there's two new easier skill settings. If you're good at it, there's two new secret levels, one of which requires you to rack up a Perfect ranking on every single other level that's available right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hszelincU8

I haven't played Ultrakill in like over half a year precisely because I literally couldn't keep up with everything going on most of the time. It physically exhausted me and made me so tense, which I keenly feel at my age. (It's also part of the reason why I haven't gotten any of the Doom Eternal DLCs yet.) Maybe the toned-down difficulty levels, combined with the option to (finally!) remember which mod you were using on a weapon when you switched out, might get me to play again.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Cruelty Squad is like a Quake Hitman TC with the texture work highly similar to TekWar. Or if you prefer, it's a great spiritual sequel to X-Ops.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mordja posted:

The HL1 version of MMOD looking p. fancy.

Could they have done the impossible and possibly made the hive hand not suck anymore?

Just going and finding the original pryo cd explosion file and using that over the downscale one is a good touch.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm always a slut for more reasons to replay Half-Life, although I hope this doesn't mean the MMod guy hasn't abandoned the HL2 version. There was supposed to be another version with new weapons and stuff. :ohdear:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Flannelette posted:

Could they have done the impossible and possibly made the hive hand not suck anymore?
Am I crazy or was it made even worse in Black Mesa?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm more interested in this Half-Life 1 thing that totally isn't an April Fools joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTfGxY_Afhs

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

I'm more interested in this Half-Life 1 thing that totally isn't an April Fools joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTfGxY_Afhs

Lost my poo poo at the "chainsaw" :laffo:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the chainsaw got me good

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Wtf does half life 3 really confirmed????

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Nah Half Life 3 does not confirmed but maybe it would later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Even if it were confirmed, there's no indication Valve is still capable of making a good game.