Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

there are already free crypto trading bots out there and they will lose your money because no bot can predict when a thing will just randomly drop 20% or more in a day and then you are stuck holding a shitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stealthgerbil posted:

there are already free crypto trading bots out there and they will lose your money because no bot can predict when a thing will just randomly drop 20% or more in a day and then you are stuck holding a shitcoin

most crypto trading bots come from people discovering the magic of limits and stops and realizing that through ten trillion microtrades you can theoretically never lose much money if you ignore the time required to try and do proper tax accounting.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone said COIN yet?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
its annoying to see how much money ive made percentagewise on robinhood, but its never going to be anything worth pulling out because the maximum return from 200 bucks total invested is so low

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

orange juche posted:

This is the same person who set up an algorithm to notify them any time they were quoted anywhere on SA.

ftfy

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Bernie Madoff just died. I think that to honour a kindred spirit, we ought to have a moment of silence.

Buttcoin.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Stanley Pain posted:

is there a stock with ticker BUTT

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Didn't astral tell you no

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

orange juche posted:

Didn't astral tell you no

yea i stopped using it after that
still made it tho

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

is there a stock with ticker BUTT

i read this as thicker butt

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

mojo1701a posted:

Bernie Madoff just died. I think that to honour a kindred spirit, we ought to have a moment of silence.

Buttcoin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ2qBlrW9vw

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

i read this as thicker butt

than this?

no sir

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

than this?

no sir

do you guarantee the thickest?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Rectal Death Deft posted:

most crypto trading bots come from people discovering the magic of limits and stops and realizing that through ten trillion microtrades you can theoretically never lose much money if you ignore the time required to try and do proper tax accounting.

Ah so it's like a roulette betting strategy where you can have very small profits when taking huge risk.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I liked this totally-not-propaganda piece from a Forbes cryptocultist touting a former CIA director saying Bitcoin is totally legit and we need to do more crypto to avoid a Strangelovian crypto gap with China.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenehrlich/2021/04/13/janet-yellen-bitcoin-and-crypto-fearmongers-get-pushback-from-former-cia-director/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*surrounded by water cooled mining rig*

"precious fluids"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

*surrounded by rising sea levels accelerated by buttcoin*

"precious fluids"

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Coinbase valued at $85 billion. BTC, ETH and DOGE hit all time highs. Pretty insane.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
it dawned on me that even with absolutely no one else rebuying NFTs that poo poo is still going to continue for years just because companies will always sell what people don't want.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well the binance testnet doesnt have DOGE/USDT trading pairs on it so i guess im testing it with something else
something volatile preferably

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

salt shakeup posted:

Coinbase valued at $85 billion. BTC, ETH and DOGE hit all time highs. Pretty insane.

Yeah the audit is gonna hit pretty hard

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
sorry, audit?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

decided to test with ETH

literally all it does right now is get the current price but im pretty proud

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

CoolCab posted:

sorry, audit?

You know, the thing that legitimate companies go through from time to time?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Somfin posted:

You know, the thing that legitimate companies go through from time to time?

oh I thought you were referencing something specific, sorry.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

hbag posted:

decided to test with ETH

literally all it does right now is get the current price but im pretty proud

now just make sure every time it outputs, balance goes down.

I literally run algobots and yes it can work but this isn't something you just pick up and do without expecting to lose money for a long while. There's a whole lot that can go wrong that you won't realize right away, or will happen when you're sleeping.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

lol

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
code:
import math
import buttapi

buttprice = long(getprice(butt))
if buttprice == high
    buy(butt)
if buttprice == low
    sell(butt)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Warthog posted:

I don't really see a difference between cryptos and other ways to gamble with disposable income:
Money in the bank will get invested in anything that helps the bank make money - fossil fuels get a shitload and I'll get zilch in return.
Buying stocks I can either use a local bank and pay them a shitload for every transaction or change countries and lose all the security anyways.
if your jurisdiction has limited access to stock markets or poor investor protections that's an issue with local finance, not with the structure of the stock assets. This is like saying that that homeopathy is no worse than standard medicine because your local hospital is poorly managed (which people do say, btw)

Stanley Pain posted:

coinbutt?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Why is Dogecoin worth like $0.20 each now? It's pretty much tripled in the past few days. Did something happen or just "lol crypto."?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Desert Bus posted:

Why is Dogecoin worth like $0.20 each now? It's pretty much tripled in the past few days. Did something happen or just "lol crypto."?

It's a cute dog.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

if you want just go download a free copy of profittrailer and lose your money. it does technical analysis which of course doesn't mean anything with crypto because its all made up and dumb.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Paladinus posted:

It's a cute dog.

I like dog

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Paladinus posted:

It's a cute dog.
I wasnt sure about this but i watched coindesk's roundtable coverage and the "cute dog" theory does seem to have some credibility

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

I wasnt sure about this but i watched coindesk's roundtable coverage and the "cute dog" theory does seem to have some credibility

Can't wait for the very serious crypto folks to explain dogecoin becoming more valuable than bitcoin

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
It's good that the parody currency is currently doing better than the currency it's parodying. This indisputably proves that fiat currency can be completely thrown away now. Thank u for listening to my tech blog.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Why's it valuable? Have you SEEN that yellow dog? It's incredible.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

It's a good doge. I think crypto's just bubbling up in general right now because of the Coinbase IPO.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ohnobugs posted:

It's a good doge. I think crypto's just bubbling up in general right now because of the Coinbase IPO.

Those don't seem connected, especially considering cryptocurrency has been bubbling for while now. Coinbase doesn't even trade Doge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Those don't seem connected, especially considering cryptocurrency has been bubbling for while now. Coinbase doesn't even trade Doge.

You would think that wouldn't matter, but crypto is stupid. Dogecoin tripled this week. Coinbase IPO'd this week. It looks like a correlation to me. You're right about it bubbling along for a while too.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 16, 2021