Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

trapped mouse posted:

Crossposting this from the curse thread:

Retweet to give a mapgame player an aneurysm. Or really anyone with a basic knowledge of geography.

The longer I look at it the more my brain melts. I hate you for crossposting this.

E: Stick Italy takes the cake, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I'm Sierra Maureguineasenegamberia

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

trapped mouse posted:

Retweet to give a mapgame player an aneurysm. Or really anyone with a basic knowledge of geography.

I think my favorite part is Italy. More “stiletto” than boot.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
No UK is pretty based though

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

I can't decide between Paraguar, hammer-growth Australia, or the several missing island countries and that's not even mentioning whatever the gently caress is going on with Scandanavia.

I also like how MaliBurkina appears to be daintily reaching down to grip (checks glasses) GhanaTogo?

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 15, 2021

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

trapped mouse posted:

My initial reaction was "Wait, what's wrong with it?" followed by a slow realization and then suddenly every problem jumping out at once. It's kinda impressive

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

A blessed world where Britain does not exist :unsmith:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everyone's talking about no uk, nobody's talking about no Japan, new Zealand, or sri lanka. Whoever made this hates islands.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Gaius Marius posted:

Everyone's talking about no uk, nobody's talking about no Japan, new Zealand, or sri lanka. Whoever made this hates islands.

Indonesia deserved its missing as well. The case of the missing korean peninsula is quite good too for non-island countries.

Also I just realized they lovingly made sure Jordan, Syria, and Iraq are all there but not Israel. Also Greece has gone awol. It's a never ending rabbit hole of bad design.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 15, 2021

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I enjoy "Greenland (Denmark)" while not actually having denmark.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
What's confused me the most after looking it over is why is the Caspian Sea cut out but not the Black Sea? Even the Baltic is kind of cut out (I think, hard to tell) but it looks like the Black Sea was just marked off and left as a whole plate.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Eh, not having New Zealand is a fairly common map problem. It looks alright to me otherwise, I post, from the depths of the ocean for my actual location does not exist on the map.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The Landbridge of Hormuz

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Why aren't the America's connected? :psyduck:

Every time I look I see something new.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Look, the Panama Canal builders found they had way more money than they needed for the project, and decided to get a little crazy with it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Great Britain? Gone. Korea? Gone. Japan? Gone. Iceland? Gone. Indonesia? Gone. India? You just lost the Himalayas, motherfucker. Australia now has a hammer. Paraguar?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Gazing into that a second time, I'm either the Grossdeutsches Reich going strong or the Hashemite Kingdom of Cis- and Transjordan

e: a country that is presumably great rival to Saudi Arabia-Egypt-Yemen-Oman

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 15, 2021

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Someone created a new Reddit account to post the below to /r/GamingLeaksandRumours about the upcoming new PDS title. There’s absolutely no reason to believe it’s true, but it’s at least mildly interesting to consider, imo.

quote:

The game will be set in the near future in another timeline. The divergence point was somewhere in 1500s when intellectuals discover magic. The Goal of the game is to conquer the whole Sol system (or to be the strongest power when the end year is reached). The early game is mostly about colonising other planets and waging war on earth. Planets consist of multiple Provinces. The provinces are based on imperator and there are about as many provinces as in imperator. Minor pop system as Imperator. Late game, there will be some sort of cold war feature with the top 5 great powers in a power struggle against each other. And there will be one late game threat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ah, they stole Anbennar just like they stole Magna Mundi and combined it with Stellaris

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

If its real i hope the countries are preset

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
lol nice

teokarp
Feb 18, 2020
Leak-sh reminds the Fading Suns concept a bit.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Anno posted:

Someone created a new Reddit account to post the below to /r/GamingLeaksandRumours about the upcoming new PDS title. There’s absolutely no reason to believe it’s true, but it’s at least mildly interesting to consider, imo.

Watch Johan read this and like it so much he decides to do it and scrap all hitherto existing Vicky 3 progress

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Several planets, each of which has as many provinces as Imperator? lol

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wiz is making Victoria III. It will have easter eggs and nods to hohenLP and azeriLP. There will be no anarcho-libs, and nothing will hurt and everything will be beautiful

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Several planets, each of which has as many provinces as Imperator? lol

I read it as that there's as many provinces as imperator across all planets, but there's no reason to take this seriously anyway

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fuligin posted:

Wiz is making Victoria III. It will have easter eggs and nods to hohenLP and azeriLP. There will be no anarcho-libs, and nothing will hurt and everything will be beautiful

tbf the problem is less anarcho-libs and more "the rebellion mechanic sucks"

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Can I say that planets being represented as more than a single "province" is interesting, are there any games that do that? Im curious about youd implement it, whether planets are flat on the map or as spheres.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Communist Zombie posted:

Can I say that planets being represented as more than a single "province" is interesting, are there any games that do that? Im curious about youd implement it, whether planets are flat on the map or as spheres.

I mean, technically Dawn of War: Soulstorm did, but I can appreciate that's probably not what you had in mind

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Communist Zombie posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/804850/Pax_Nova/

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Communist Zombie posted:

The math for spherical coordinates isn't terribly hard to understand or code, paradox could probably be doing it for all their games now. Especially since iirc they precalculate the distances between adjacent provinces?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
@kaza42 Close enough! Thats probably the easiest way to do it, but for game set in a single solar system Id want the planets to move around, and ideally orbital mechanics as well.

Thank you! Ill be checking it out

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

trapped mouse posted:

Thanks, I hate it :mad:

...and now the vicious cycle continues, as I share this horror with my friends...

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

If that rumour is true wouldn't they just have separate maps for each planet, and only have to deal with stuff like orbital coordinates etc on a separate solar system map view?

It sounds neat although if the game is sort of planetary romance/space opera/space fantasy I'd prefer a completely fictional fantasy setting rather than an alternate history one. Or bumping the historical divergence back earlier than the 1500s so it isn't magical fantastical versions of all the countries I already remember from EU4 driving steampunk spaceships and wearing colonial outfits while they dick around on Mars.

But making it multiple planets is a cool way to differentiate it from other fantasy settings, and restricting it to a single solar system keeps the scope at a reasonable level.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fighting multi-front wars is already a big enough pain in Paradox games as it is. Fighting multi-planet wars sounds unbearable.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm trying to piece together the history of megacampaigns. There's been many significant ones here on SA. I've already noted Kingdom Come, Hohenzollern, Blood in the Bosphorus, Let’s Wear Black, Al Andalus, and Roof of the World. Are there others I should be noting? Any that were particularly inspiring or groundbreaking?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Don't forget the Texas one.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

idhrendur posted:

I'm trying to piece together the history of megacampaigns. There's been many significant ones here on SA. I've already noted Kingdom Come, Hohenzollern, Blood in the Bosphorus, Let’s Wear Black, Al Andalus, and Roof of the World. Are there others I should be noting? Any that were particularly inspiring or groundbreaking?

You're missing HansaLP

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

idhrendur posted:

"For the Love of God", the Papal States LP was interesting, notably because of how off-the-wall its history became:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834874

The last LP Wiz did before he joined Paradox, (I think?) was Islam is the Light, which was Azerbaijan.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3429306

Edit: HansaLP and Crete also deserve a mention

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Crete wasn’t a megacampaign but deserves a mention