Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

how the gently caress is "The Riddler solves the anti life equation and immediately caps himself in front of Wonder Woman" boring to you

that wasn’t in the version I read and it freaking owns lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

DoombatINC posted:

It merely sits at the feet of No Holds Barred, the superior pro wrestling movie

It's themesong is also second best, I mean it's incredibly good as far as themesongs go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJtzFy-JsbU
100% genius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeBM3nwwmlE

Serf
May 5, 2011

indigi posted:

I’m kind of glad he didn’t get to make the sequels cause reading what he wanted to do in them it’s mainly.... boring. also he planned for Lois and Bruce have an affair, that’s just a fundamental misunderstanding of the kind of stories you’re supposed to tell with these characters

also it’s weird to have Superman be dead for 3/4 hours in the first movie then have him be evil for 75% of the sequels. like c’mon that’s boring we want to see Superman be super

given that what little tension there was in justice league evaporates the moment superman shows up, nah its better with him dead or evil. the only promising bit of the snyder cut was the evil superman future nightmare, that's a movie i'd actually like to watch, leto joker and all

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

my vague understanding of gambit is that hes pepe le pew for rogue despite her superpower being that she sucks the life energy from everything she touches and i dont want to ruin this probably inaccurate impression

he and rogue get along because neither can have physical contact with another person

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

The series follows the "Crisis" naming conventions of prior DC crossovers, but unlike prior "Crisis" events, Heroes in Crisis did not focus on a cosmic threat. Instead, it expands on a concept King introduced in Batman, the Sanctuary rehabilitation center, which is based on veterans' crisis centers.

According to King, the idea for Heroes in Crisis was conceived in 2016 after he suffered from a panic attack and went to the hospital, and his grandmother (who raised him) died on the same day. King had to go through therapy, after which he decided to use what he learned in a DC comic. The homestead of the Sanctuary on the cover of Heroes in Crisis #1 is modeled after his grandmother's house as a tribute to her.

Heroes in Crisis primarily deals with the emotional cost of being a superhero and explores "what violence does to a society", a common theme in King's work. King, a former CIA counterterrorism officer, believed this was an important subject that needed to be discussed. King described this creative decision: "Comic books, throughout the whole history of the medium, have been reflective of history. In World War II, there were comics about fighting in World War II. In the seventies, the comics were about psychedelic escape. Today, our moment right now is a moment of violence and living with violence and our comics have to address that"

quote:

"The Sanctuary" is a secret rehabilitation center for superheroes and reformed supervillains dealing with mental health issues. A horrible massacre claims the lives of nearly all its patients, including Arsenal, Blue Jay, Commander Steel, Hot Spot, Lagoon Boy, Gunfire, Red Devil, Gnarrk, Protector, the Tattooed Man, Wally West and Poison Ivy. Booster Gold and Harley Quinn become prime suspects as they are the only survivors of the event. As neither of them remembers how it happened, they both believe the other did it and attempt to kill each other.

Batman deduces one of the Sanctuary patients was responsible for the killings, and seeks to catch the mysterious figure dubbed as "the Puddler". However, he cannot access the Sanctuary's A.I. program. When they try to track down Harley Quinn, she tricks Wonder Woman and threatens to break Batman's neck unless they allow her to escape.

While Booster consults Ted Kord about Wally's corpse, Harley consults Batgirl about chasing Booster. Lois Lane shares with her husband that she has been mysteriously receiving confessions of the murdered superheroes. She later reveals the Sanctuary's existence and its purpose. The revelation generates fear of superheroes among the masses. Superman admits the Sanctuary's existence in public, requesting that they not mistrust them, despite their issues. In response, most of the heroes and their loved ones berate and accuse them for allowing that massacre to happen.

Green Arrow and Donna Troy attend a funeral for Roy Harper, while Batman informs Jason Todd about Roy's death. The Flash and Iris West are devastated after Booster Gold tells them about Wally's death, but Wally's cousin Wallace West II is convinced he is still alive somewhere due to his ability to time travel.

While Batman investigates the murders, the Flash reluctantly helps him. Their investigation leads them to a facility where Bane makes experiments on a brainwashed Gotham Girl to revive her brother Henry Clover, Jr. (formerly known as Gotham). But Gotham Girl loses control of her newly-acquired powers to the point of nearly dying.

After Booster and Harley settle their differences, he reveals Wally's corpse is from five days in the future, which leads them to believe the real Wally is still alive. That theory was proven true, as the present-day Wally revives Ivy from her rose and apologizes to her for causing harm in the first place.

The truth is Wally caused the massacre by accident. Still grappling with the trauma related to having his family erased in the New 52, he convinced himself that he was alone in his grief and that the Sanctuary was created by the Justice League solely for him out of pity. Desperate to find out the truth about which other heroes were being treated by the Sanctuary, he somehow broke into its A.I. program to retrieve Sanctuary patient data entailing all of their collective trauma. This discovery overwhelms Wally and causes him to lose control of the Speed Force, which unleashes an energy blast that kills almost everyone at the Sanctuary. In a desperate attempt to buy himself five days to fix his mistake, he altered the scene to make it look like either Booster or Harley committed the crime, making up the Puddler persona. Wally then records a tape confessing his crimes, as well as his secret identity, and sends it to Lois.

Booster, Harley, the Blue Beetle, and Batgirl arrive back at the Sanctuary, prepared to save Wally. Using their combined detective skills, they understand that he is the culprit, but also a victim. Harley is reunited with Poison Ivy, who tells her that she was regrown by the Green. Meanwhile, Wally is prepared to kill himself so that he can maintain a continuous loop in which he stages the murder scene so that he can expose the Sanctuary to Lois, and then kill himself again to restart the loop. Wally is afraid he will create another Flashpoint if he attempts to rescue those he killed. Booster suggests that he can close the time loop if they clone Wally's body in the far future and use that body for the crime scene rather than his real body. Wally agrees to this admittedly wild plan so that he can hold himself responsible for the manslaughter, find a way to make up for it, and eventually move on. In the end, Wally contemplates his fate while in the Justice League prison, determining that hope is not denying his pain, but carrying that pain with him as he keeps on running.

Comics, everybody!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Comics, everybody!

Lmao I was right it was about the terrible poo poo he did in the cia like all of his other comics

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Hey I was maybe responsible for killing a bunch of people but I'm reallllly sorry about it anyway here's my collection of action figures and look! They killed people too! They can still be heroes! They're realllly sorrrrry

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

get the gently caress out of here with that bullshit. how dare you profane Wally West

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

they understand that he is the culprit, but also a victim

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

You have to love that every aspect of our pop culture is being overseen by CIA Ghouls.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Ben Affleck only got a slap on the wrist for making CIA copaganda.

We got one good episode of Citations Needed out of it, and that's it?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i only saw argo once when it came out in theatres but my memory is that it was incredibly uncurious about the iranian revolution and america's role in it. it was just like "drat, lots of iranians are pissed at america for some reason. can't figure out why. well better go rescue these hostages"

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

The story is framed around the journals of Carter Hall, who reveals a mystery that spans centuries revolving around divine metals that have landed on Earth. He gradually reveals a conflict that has existed since the beginning of time between four tribes: the wolf, the bear, the bird and the bat.

After the Justice League defeats Mongul on his war moon, they return home to find Challengers Mountain, the headquarters of the superhero team Challengers of the Unknown, has mysteriously appeared in the middle of Gotham City. When they get into the mountain, they are met by Kendra Saunders, otherwise known as Hawkgirl, who warns them of a full-scale invasion. She explains the concept of a Dark Multiverse, a multiverse that exists beneath the DC Multiverse, that contains a dark beast named Barbatos. Through her investigations, she has discovered a connection between Barbatos and the Wayne family. Batman is revealed to be part of a prophecy in which he will be treated by five divine metals that will open a door to the Dark Multiverse and allow Barbatos to invade the Multiverse. It is further revealed that Barbatos first marked Batman when he was sent back in time by Darkseid's Omega Beams during the events of the Final Crisis storyline. Despite this, Batman steals Kendra's sample of Nth metal, which is one of the divine metals. In bringing it to the Batcave to study it, the metal leads him to the journal of Carter Hall, discovered to have been in Wayne Manor the whole time. The journal confirms Batman's suspicions regarding his role in the prophecy. He is then visited by Daniel Hall, who warns him that the "nightmare has only just begun."

The whole Justice League searches for Batman. When Superman finds him, he interrogates him. During this exchange, Batman reveals that he has already been exposed to the foretold divine metals in a process called mantling. It started when he faced the Court of Owls and was exposed to electrum. He was exposed to dionesium during the events of the Endgame story arc, when he fought to the death with the Joker. The machine that was subsequently used to resurrect him exposed him to promethium. Finally, when he used the machine that allowed him to peer into the Dark Multiverse (during the events of the lead-up), he exposed himself to the Nth metal. In an attempt to escape the last metal, Batman steals Darkseid, who has been reduced to a baby. He aims to use Darkseid's Omega Beams to go back in time again and prevent Barbatos from meeting him. Unfortunately, he is tricked by the Court of Owls and subsequently exposed to the last divine metal: batmanium.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

oh great, more snyder chat

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

it's a little derivative of grant morrison's stuff and super xxxtreme grimdark, but i didn't mind the METAL stuff that i read. it failed to persuade me to get back into buying comics though.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Man Im really glad I stopped reading Cape poo poo.

Anyone else read Harrow County? I thought that was pretty good

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i'd way rather read about "batmanium" than anything written by pig tom king

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

indigi posted:

I’m kind of glad he didn’t get to make the sequels cause reading what he wanted to do in them it’s mainly.... boring. also he planned for Lois and Bruce have an affair, that’s just a fundamental misunderstanding of the kind of stories you’re supposed to tell with these characters

also it’s weird to have Superman be dead for 3/4 hours in the first movie then have him be evil for 75% of the sequels. like c’mon that’s boring we want to see Superman be super

the Injustice comic series was a hit, and that was 100% Superman being evil.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lindsay ellis posted an hour-long video about being cancelled lol. YA culture is wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aWz8q_IM4

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Another enemy of Addison Cain struck down
https://twitter.com/allahliker/status/1319631594592886787?s=20

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I just remembered how many people got upset about Unbreakable because they thought it ended right when it was getting to the good part.

unbreakable is the best superhero movie, blade and raimi's spiderman are a close second/third
then there's i don't know how many empty spaces before venom and deadpool

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/HomersBestBits/status/1382748172380946433?s=20

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

unbreakable is boring as poo poo, Willis can’t carry that kind of movie

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

no it rules

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
https://twitter.com/Girlnextvore/status/1382750367734190082?s=19

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

doubling down

doubling down

DOUBLING DOOOOOOOWWWWWWWNNNN

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

indigi posted:

I think you'll find that Willis can carry plenty in that kind of movie :smug:

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
I haven’t watched the next generation since the 90s and I just finished season 1. It’s dope.

I plan on doing DS9 and Voyager (never seen both) afterwards.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Superman is boring because we as a people no longer have hope in the future and know that anyone with superman powers would be a piece of poo poo and let's face it superman since the 50s has just defended the status quo so gently caress you supercop

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Superman is boring because we as a people no longer have hope in the future and know that anyone with superman powers would be a piece of poo poo and let's face it superman since the 50s has just defended the status quo so gently caress you supercop

Thr while idea of Superheroes being a reactionary genre is they exist solely to uphold the status quo.

Batman literally has like a C-list villian that's just an anarchist.

Also when does KGBeast get renamed the Soviet Union fell 30 years ago, that dude is at best in his early 50s now

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Didn't early Superman serials depict him knocking over slums to force the government to build affordable housing?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

anyone watch snowfall

poo poo is good

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Yeah, early Superman was p cool.

Didn't care much for bankers, either.

Superman's an awesome character, you just have to know how to use him in a story.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Superman's first appearance is him smashing through a senator's security systems (guards, steel doors, etc) to force him (under threat of being torn limb from limb) to call off the execution of an innocent person that Clark just hasn't gotten around to exonerating yet

Another time he drowns a pawn shop owner who was taking advantage of a youth gang, just straight up throws him in the middle of a river to sink like a stone

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I genuinely flummoxes me where the online Left have gotten this idea that a concept as broad as "Guy who maybe has powers saves people from assholes" Is some kind of evil-reactionary idea.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Golden Age Superman rules

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/news/champion-oppressed-supermans-social-justice-roots/

https://screamsheet.wordpress.com/2018/05/07/the-golden-age-superman-was-a-badass-vigilante-part-1-of-2/

https://screamsheet.wordpress.com/2018/05/17/the-golden-age-superman-was-a-badass-vigilante-part-2-of-2/

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
golden age Supes is just an inferior Stardust the Super Wizard.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

double negative posted:

anyone watch snowfall

poo poo is good

poo poo is real good. for those who have never heard of it: it's a crime drama set in early 80s LA about the origins of the American crack cocaine epidemic, centering on a young man who becomes a major drug kingpin by introducing crack to southern California. the C-SPAM angle is that he gets his cocaine from the CIA. No dissembling, no obfuscation, and really no framing is provided is justify what they're doing -- the show unambiguously depicts the CIA smuggling huge amounts of cocaine into the US to fund the Contras' war against the Sandinistas in Nicaragua. Even better, the protagonist's father is a homeless guy who used to be in the Black Panthers, and the show occasionally contrasts the two men's answers to their alienation from capitalist and white supremacist American society: the father became a Maoist and organized with his comrades to struggle against their oppressors and they were crushed by imperialist reaction. The son decides to get rich by any means necessary, becoming a violent criminal, harming his own community, and winds up... well I dunno, show's not over yet.

honorable mention for Avi, the Israeli gun runner and cocaine trafficker, who is a loving riot.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

galagazombie posted:

I genuinely flummoxes me where the online Left have gotten this idea that a concept as broad as "Guy who maybe has powers saves people from assholes" Is some kind of evil-reactionary idea.
relates to the great man theory of history iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
L*ndsay Ell*s