Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I wish there was some way to have a betting pool on what will cause Nat’s first death without turning the thread into a CIA document. (I mean, my money is on a platforming mishap at this point, but there are plenty of other plausible candidates.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bug facts: It's cockroaches and termites that are quite closely related. It was abdomen you were thinking about; an insect's anatomy is typically head-thorax-abdomen. In ants, bees and wasps, the thorax is split in two and the lower thorax/abdomen combination is called the gaster.

I do picture the knight being an ant of some sort. Although... the reasons why are probably spoilers, save for them being quite small.

There's something about this new area that makes it a welcome reprieve from the loneliness of the rest of the game so far. After three zones of abandoned ruins and wilderness, you're here at the city, you get to rest and hang out with your friend Quirrel, and even if it's not in any better a state than the rest of the world, the architecture feels a bit more lived in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Mantis Claw kicks rear end and opens up a ton of new stuff, as I'm sure you might have felt when looking at your map right after getting it. That said this area is really really cool and was the point in my first playthrough where I went from "hey this is pretty neat" to "oh wow there's something really special here", so I'm glad you went that way.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 10, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Getting flashbacks to Gate's Laboratory from X6 with all that air dashing through spikes in that last section.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I'm in on the dead pool.

I'm going with a static room hazard after managing to beat yet another boss we all expect him to die on.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
...I forgot what I was going to say about the Mantis Claw. Although one thing I should mention, which you might have discovered already by the time you read this, is you can dash straight out of the wall cling, which can give you better control than jumping and dashing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't know what was funniest. (nat don't read these pls)

Yorkshire Tea trying his hardest to shade Natural 20 into taking on the Mantis Lords in the hopes that he'll finally see a death or Yorkshire Tea clearly biting his tongue when Natural 20 kept bringing up wanting the Mantis Tribe to be friendly.

Also, this is my favourite zone in the game. The music, the rainfall, the ambience, the everything... Also also, everytime I see Quirrel on my travels it always brings a smile to my face.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 10, 2021

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

OMG I just realised if someone asked me what my favourite zone in Hollow Knight was I wouldn't know what to answer.

Except "marry me" but that's beside the point.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I don't know if I'd call the zone Nat's in right now my favourite, because there are so many good ones, but it's definitely up there. That music!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'd certainly call it my favorite, and I'm holding off on saying more.

But I'd call it one of the best zones in any videogame ever.

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010

pointlessone posted:

I'm in on the dead pool.

I'm going with a static room hazard after managing to beat yet another boss we all expect him to die on.

I'll one up this and predict it will specifically happen in Crystal Peaks

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's two areas and like three bosses I'm keeping my eye on as potential killers, but let's not make this thread look like a FOIA request yet.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Nice bug, bro.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Keeping your limbs inside the lift is 50% more important when you're an insect. :colbert:

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

As long as you never leave the wall, you won't ever die! Deathless run complete.

I'm pretty amazed something like that happened before your first death. This is wonderful.

Tea comparing the nail to the sword upgrades in Majora's Mask makes me wonder if it's going to wear off after so many hits and you'll have to pay for it again.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I hope Nat doesn't miss anything by entering a room and then immediately leaving. That still fills it out on your map, so it might not be obvious you haven't explored there.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I think I've gotten stuck in the side AND the bottom of the elevator shafts in this area. It's a great game with bugs!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Two comments on the last two videos:

Nat's sheer happiness at getting the love of his 'vanias, the wall jump, is :3:

Did anybody bet on Nat's first death, or rather "death", being a program bug instead of an hostile bug?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh good you went back and found the Nailsmith, I definitely did a large chunk of this area without finding him and boy was that a pain!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Oh good you went back and found the Nailsmith, I definitely did a large chunk of this area without finding him and boy was that a pain!
Could be worse, my first playthrough I found him only after beating the boss of mantis village.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

For the deadpool, my guess is Nosk does him in.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm going to bet on the deathless run longshot. I believe in Natural 20.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UteHu-aqi_I

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 13, 2021

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.

This video shows my favorite little detail in Hollow Knight: the care taken with the announcements of area names. When you move around, you normally get a small title card in the corner of the screen when you cross a border and go into another area. But the first time you enter an area, that title card doesn't appear. Instead you get a fullscreen announcement of the area name, but not until you've gone deeper into the area. The hallway beyond the large gate and the building it leads into are both part of the City of Tears, but it's not until you've reached that last elevator and descended to the ground level of the City that the name appears. If you first enter the City through another route and only later pass through the gate, you get the small title card as soon as you go through the gate.

You can see the same effect in video 4: the room in which you fight the Baldur is part of Greenpath, not Forgotten Crossroads, but you have to defeat the Baldur and move deeper into Greenpath before the area's name appears.

Regarding the damage value of the nail upgrade: it's actually a bit tricky to figure out exactly how much it increases your damage, because some enemies have slightly lower health when you don't have a nail upgrade. This is presumably to ensure that they are not too tedious to fight if you encounter them without upgrades. The walking guards are one of these enemies, which is why they go from five hits to four rather than five to three like the flying guards. (There are no major spoilers here, just some technical details of the health-and-damage system, so it should be fine for Natural 20 to read. I just put it in a spoiler block to be on the safe side.)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Very surprised that you stored your money instead of immediately buying the Lumafly Lantern back in town.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
In my defense I forgot it existed until I started recording again.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just screaming at my screen / into a pillow during the conversation about notches, get the money gathering patch, it's most useful at the start!

I also like how Nat first observed that killing the balloon creatures makes adorable sound effects, but later on insisted he's murdering them because he's just suspicious of their intentions. You are murdering balloons because you like how it sounds, you monster! :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Haven't watched the video yet but at the start of this year I began another playthrough of this game and dropped it right where the previous update started, and tonight I picked it back up in part because of this LP. So thanks for that! My goal is to not just fall into the exact same route I took last time (which, based on the banner for the current update, isn't the route you're taking!)

Alxprit posted:

Very surprised that you stored your money instead of immediately buying the Lumafly Lantern back in town.

I hesitate to call any purchase in this game mandatory, but the Lantern is awfully close to being required to beat the game. It makes a few areas much more tolerable, to the point where I can't imagine doing them sans Lantern. In fact when I started up my playthrough just now I took a detour to Dirtmouth to buy the Lantern...only to realize that I had already purchased it :doh:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 15, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's entirely possible to explore the entire rest of the Waterways before finding Cornifer. It does require that you find the upgrade for breaking through that weakened floor first, then completely forget that there was a left-hand path. :negative:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm a video behind but I agree that Relic Seeker Lemm is great.

edit: Cashing in trinkets should be an onscreen thing because Lemm is cool and good and his dialogue shouldn't be hoarded by the miserly Nat 20. :colbert:

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 15, 2021

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

C-Euro posted:

I hesitate to call any upgrade in this game mandatory, but the Lantern is awfully close to being required to beat the game. It makes a few areas much more tolerable, to the point where I can't imagine doing them sans Lantern. In fact when I started up my playthrough just now I took a detour to Dirtmouth to buy the Lantern...only to realize that I had already purchased it :doh:

I assume you mean store bought upgrades, because you definitely need the upgrades like the dash, wall jump, double jump, and so on. You also actually do need the Lantern - Distant Village is behind a locked gate, and you can't open it in the dark, which I learned the hard way on my first attempt to get the speedrun achievements.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

fractalairduct posted:

I assume you mean store bought upgrades, because you definitely need the upgrades like the dash, wall jump, double jump, and so on. You also actually do need the Lantern - Distant Village is behind a locked gate, and you can't open it in the dark, which I learned the hard way on my first attempt to get the speedrun achievements.

Oh yeah, I mean purchases specifically. And the area you mentioned was one of the last things I did in the game, though they pull that same trick elsewhere!

E: oh God I forgot about those enemies who split in half once you kill them.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 15, 2021

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

fractalairduct posted:

iirc you could make it through without the lantern early into the game release, but at some point they patched that out and made the lock non-interactive until you bought the lantern.

It's funny seeing Nat saying there's no other really good 1 notch charm, while ignoring the gathering swarm charm. So much missed geo and wasted time.....

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gathering swarm doesn't give you the geo if you leave the room before it gets to you. Much faster just to dash over the corpse real quick than stand at the exit waiting.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Gathering swarm doesn't give you the geo if you leave the room before it gets to you. Much faster just to dash over the corpse real quick than stand at the exit waiting.

Still worth it for everything that falls into spike pits

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The man is mortal after all!

EDIT: That really was one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen, genuinely, can't believe you did so well.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Found this LP recently and almost caught up. Been pretty fun, I've gotten a lot of the way through this game, but never to the final boss.

Will be curious to see if Nat ever learns how the parry works (with my reflexes, unreliably at best.) now that they've noticed it happen once. Also curious if an accidental steel soul run will happen but that is unlikely.

The way the nail upgrading works, IIRC, means speedrunners intentionally don't upgrade the nail, but most normal players should.

Also just to say, yes, use your spells. They are awesome. Shaman Stone is great. And while you do have to fight all the bosses at least halfway properly, there are a number where at various player skill levels you will save more health by blamming them than you would by healing and having to dodge for longer.