Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just finished watching the recon of 'The Faceless Ones', and it's bizarre to realise that instead of Victoria we might have had a mouthy Scouser as a companion over half a decade before Sarah if Pauline Collins had accepted the offer to make Samantha the replacement for Ben and Polly.

Also, FFS BBC. You end the story on a cliffhanger mystery (someone's stolen the TARDIS!) and then junk a loving Dalek story? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The PM of Britain (in 2005 Christmas Invasion) just made at dig at the US president about him not being her boss and "he's not going to turn this into a war." As I recall, Blair and Bush were in cahoots to invade 7 countries, in Bush's case before he even had the office. I don't know the timing of PMs in the UK, but is a hypocritical dig at the time? Also this being a BBC thing aimed at Brits, how much room/demand to they have to make digs at their own government? Good Bush burn, don't get me wrong, but as an American I can't help but want to scream WE LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU whenever our evil imperialism stuff is under criticism from the racist grandpa at Christmas dinner but I guess in the Who version of the world Jones owns oh nevermind shes red white and blue afterall

edit: Also lol at Mickey dropping a thermos and it drips onto some coily thingy in the Tardis and shorts it out, really cool to put metal grates above those components

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 11, 2021

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
You're obviously forgetting the PM being offed in the Slitheen two-parter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Khanstant posted:

but I guess in the Who version of the world Jones

Former Prime Minister :hai:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Former Prime Minister :hai:

Yes, we know who she was.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Payndz posted:

Also, FFS BBC. You end the story on a cliffhanger mystery (someone's stolen the TARDIS!) and then junk a loving Dalek story? :argh:

Blame Terry Nation for withdrawing all the rights, and making the Dalek stories worthless (the repeat of Evil was only squeezed in because they wanted to get some Daleks in at the last minute before the rights ended at the end of 1968).

If you look at the lists of missing episodes purchased abroad, you’ll see a lot of countries didn’t get Power or Evil - all down to Nation not letting the BBC sell them.

When you have a situation like this, what’s the point in keeping them?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there a Doctor who in parallel universe? They dump Mickey in a parallel world. Is there another Doctor there, is there some other space god who goes 'round stopping universal threats or is the absence of a doctor who mean a lot of stuff takes care of itself just fine?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've always been entirely of the mindset that being a Timelord kinda implies that... well, not being subject to the laws of time I guess! So I always just assumed while there might be multiple timelines and different parallel versions of the same non-Time Lord people etc the Doctor (and any other Time Lord) are unique and part of the privilege of their "rank" is that they get to come and go through these as they like.

Now that said, in Big Finish at least they've explicitly had alternate versions of the Doctor (I think David Warner is an alternate version of the 3rd Doctor?). From memory, they've never explicitly had the TV Doctor have alternate timeline versions: the one time the 9th Doctor ended up crossing back over his own timeline, it wiped that earlier version out of existence; and the Meta-Crisis 10th Doctor/human hybrid got tucked away into the Cybus alternate timeline) though there's probably at least a few theories out there that Ruth-Doctor and her Gallifrey are potentially from an alternate reality.

I'm sure like much of what Doctor Who does, the "truth" will be whatever is convenient for the writer at the time they do their episode, and just like with everything else fans will pick and choose what they prefer to acknowledge and what they'd rather just ignore forever (like half-human on my mother's side).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm pretty sure in the Cybermen two-parter from Tennant's first season that the Doctor mentions that there are no parallel versions of him in parallel universes.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm sure it would make for a fun comic or audio to have whomever is the Doctor in the parallel universe Age of Steel reality deal with the Metacrisis Doctor showing up out of nowhere.

There's no reason to think one doesn't exist since the show has a parallel Mickey and Jackie.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Harlock posted:

I'm sure it would make for a fun comic or audio to have whomever is the Doctor in the parallel universe Age of Steel reality deal with the Metacrisis Doctor showing up out of nowhere.

There's no reason to think one doesn't exist since the show has a parallel Mickey and Jackie.

That's because they're human, not Time Lord.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
There's also the idea floated around somewhere in the Wilderness Years that the Big Brother-type figure who leads fascist England in Inferno is one of the faces the Time Lords offered 2 to regenerate into, thus making him an alternate 3rd Doctor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And there's Merlin. Paul Cornell was always super big on him being an alternate future version of the Doctor with red hair.

Apparently BF isn't allowed to create any more alternate Doctors, by licence. So they can only tell stories with David Warner's alternate Doctor, and I guess the Arabella Wier one. Not that they'll go there again.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Open Source Idiom posted:

And there's Merlin. Paul Cornell was always super big on him being an alternate future version of the Doctor with red hair.

Or just McCoy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I'm pretty sure in the Cybermen two-parter from Tennant's first season that the Doctor mentions that there are no parallel versions of him in parallel universes.

However there is a Professor Huh who is a member of the Timeserf race. Not exactly the same, since the Professor just goes around in a working Timeship and just helps people throughout time and space as best as they can with their technology and infinite lifespan. Less exciting adventures, no genocides, just a lot of establishing schools, hospitals, infrastructure, farms, etc like any halfway decent immortal time-travelling demigod would be expected to do at bare minimum.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No no that was the 8th Doctor doing all that, he just.... forgot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's an easy way to see Rose-Doctor relationship as hosed up but her exit still got me, and holy poo poo, what a loving goober dipshit for not saying "I love you" but instead making smug commentary about saying it instead. And drat, headcanon is a wild thing, I swear the whole "I'm dying" thing the episodes had was going to be something where she dies but he revives her or some poo poo. Then they get to the Death Stranding beach and I felt sad. I remember her getting stranded in another universe after some heroics, then she gets to be with a weird clone or copy of him or some poo poo and they ride off happily ever after into the sunset in the parallel universe, at least.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dalek Sec was up for auction today! Estimated at £15,000-18,000, the auctioneer started way too high at £10,000 and didn’t sell.

The next lot was more interesting, however. Four original scripts from The Keys of Marinus, with some photosfrom the estate of actor Peter Stenson, who played 3 different roles in the serial. I bid on them, but they ended up going way above my budget, especially with a 30% buyers premium (auctions usually run between 15-25%).

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

The next lot was more interesting, however. Four original scripts from The Keys of Marinus, with some photosfrom the estate of actor Peter Stenson, who played 3 different roles in the serial. I bid on them, but they ended up going way above my budget, especially with a 30% buyers premium (auctions usually run between 15-25%).

Did they include a receipt for the cab the scripts took?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hah, watching Daleks in Manhattan rn, but skipping through because I'm already a little tired of Daleks on this rewatch. Dalek Sec owns tho, for a Dalek

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 14, 2021

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Listening to Dust Breeding and it's....fine? Geoffrey Beevers is fun as the Master, but the story back flip they have to do to explain why he isn't the Anthony Ainley version is silly (his face fell off again, I guess). The warp core and the krill aren't very interesting or threatening villains, and the audio design could have done a better job at conveying the feeling of an utterly empty and bleak planet covered in dust. It's not bad, just a little undercooked - it needed a little more suspense and atmosphere to tell the story it was aiming for effectively.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Listening to Dust Breeding and it's....fine? Geoffrey Beevers is fun as the Master, but the story back flip they have to do to explain why he isn't the Anthony Ainley version is silly (his face fell off again, I guess). The warp core and the krill aren't very interesting or threatening villains, and the audio design could have done a better job at conveying the feeling of an utterly empty and bleak planet covered in dust. It's not bad, just a little undercooked - it needed a little more suspense and atmosphere to tell the story it was aiming for effectively.

It's got a large rep because of the extreme tradness, but I think it's just okay. The Master lore it introduces is a bit of a plot hole, but BF has drawn on it a fair bit for their Master lore these last few years.

Hard disagree on thr music/ sound design though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Outside of the reveal I couldn't remember much about Dust Breeding so I went back to my write-up on it and.... oof. I had completely forgotten they wrote the Doctor as holding onto a giant collection of lost/"destroyed" art masterpieces in his own personal gallery that only he ever gets to look at and just treated it like a perfectly fine and acceptable thing, and even tried to make Ace's condemnation of his hoarding out to be an immature reaction. gently caress that, if anybody should understand why you don't hoard things away for yourself it's people who are fans of Doctor Who. (Mugabe! :argh:)

As for the story itself, quoting myself: I'm never quite sure if the story I'm listening to is supposed to be about madness, or existential dread, or the dangers of obsession, or a revenge story, or a commentary on the rich/poor divide and the quest for distinction through status symbols.

It's a mess, relies far too heavily on knowledge of the old Wilderness Years prose novels, and the only things that really stand out about it are the reveal of the Master as well as, from memory, the sound design being really good.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Yeah, the exchange in the TARDIS art gallery is fun, but the Doctor's desire to hoard the painting for himself seems a bit out of character? I think they were trying to be playful, in a "I'll make sure they get to a safe place......eventually" kind of way, but it didn't quite land. Beevers is fun though - I liked him in And You Will Obey Me more, where they gave him more to do.

I'm not saying the sound design is bad - its a good foundation, but they could have played the 'endless plains of dust' thing up more with it, or made the cruise liner feel more populated. I wasn't even sure the krill were meant to be there until the characters said - they don't do a job of making them very distinct. I only know the name because of the Doctor Who wiki reminding me that I've got a copy of the book they were in somewhere.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 14, 2021

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Master lore it introduces is a bit of a plot hole

This is far from the first time I've complained about this, but who really cares about where in the Master's personal timeline a story takes place? (Yes, I know this answer is approximately the number of people who bought Dust Breeding on release.) The Master is played by Geoffrey Beevers because Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley are dead, and anybody who's listening to a 2 hour long audio drama knows this. You don't have to explain it. Just let Beevers have fun in the role. And hey, what if Jo Grant were there, too? That'd be fun! Nah, it would be more difficult to fit into the continuity of a show with like four different Atlantises.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah the Master is the Master, the Simm Master could show up explicitly AFTER he died (like, not an earlier version of him, he remembers dying and regenerating and being Missy and the Dhawan Master and everything) and everybody would just roll with it because he's the Master and he's just a bullshit little man ALL THE TIME.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Let me tell you of a man who thinks like that. Sure, he wrote some Doctor Who, and while it didn't blow anyone away, it wasn't terrible. Then he got a chance to run the show, and he said "I have a story to tell, and drat over 55 years of continuity!" That's how we got the Timeless Children.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh honey... Chibnall's continuity altering stories don't count... :laugh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does Doctor Ditch the people at the end of the universe? I mean, kind of a lost cause no matter what, but I'm not used to him ditching even in an emergency. edit: oh dear

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 15, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1382619709812658179?s=20

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I love the Beevers Master, that's why I made some

(the panels are a bit wonky because I couldn't get to a scanner so I just took a photo of each panel and stitched them together, you'll get a better scan after the plague times are over!)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Is that why Beevers is extra-crispy?

They took his desire for a Hot Doctor too literally?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Forktoss posted:

I love the Beevers Master, that's why I made some

(the panels are a bit wonky because I couldn't get to a scanner so I just took a photo of each panel and stitched them together, you'll get a better scan after the plague times are over!)

YESSS More Forktoss comics! :toot:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Bless you, Forktoss.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Tonight's random Who was The Curse of Fenric, which is a story that eschews the normal story structure by having one episode two and three episode fours.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tonight's random Who was The Curse of Fenric, which is a story that eschews the normal story structure by having one episode two and three episode fours.

Someone offered to sell me the Ultima Machine prop from that recently, and I had to turn them down because it’s a bit out of my budget right now (plus I think it’s a bit overpriced).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Forktoss posted:

Hell yes, always happy to get a new one of these :)

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Doctor walking into a room and openly typing up fake papers he then hands over to a guard to explain why he's allowed in the room is an absolutely incredible scene :allears:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
More Who show ponderance, this time for Twelve. Again, I'll spoil it. (As this IS newer)

So the Time Lords eventually got back into the universe proper after giving Eleven more regenerations, but they learn of something called the Hybrid. This scares them so much, and with the Time Lord command never learning a drat THING, that they set up a plan to capture Twelve, and it goes wrong and causes Clara to be killed, after which Twelve is captured. He is (somehow) sealed in his confession dial, which I swear was supposed to be a will, not a pocket dimension, where he is permanently chased by some monster and (almost) everything resets when he leaves: the monster briefly backs off if the Doctor reveals a secret. The idea is the Doctor will either confess who the Hybrid is, or die and take the knowledge with him? Instead, he finds that there's an exit door guarded by a ten foot thick wall of super diamond, which conveniently is one of the few things that doesn't reset. Here, the Doctor realizes the nature of the trap he's in, and punches the wall until the monster captures him and mostly kills him, leaving him to drag himself up to the room he started in and using his last bit of life energy to supercharge the resetting machine so it also resets HIM, leaving him to go through the same experience billions of times (as he has to regain the knowledge each time), with the only changing thing being the timeframe he estimates and how many skulls are in the water. He FINALLY breaks through the wall of super diamond and gets out, and now he's really, REALLY mad. So mad that he can basically make the Time Lords kick Rassalon (?) out just by sitting in a house (and how/why could he do that) before he says "gently caress everything" and uses Time Lord machinery to pull Clara away one moment before she dies, which risks all sorts of time messes. We ultimately never learn just what the Hybrid is specifically: it's suggested it's actually the Doctor and Clara having personalities that push each other to the extremes, so they take a drug that will make one of them completely forget the other. The Doctor draws the bad card, forgets Clara, and goes off on new adventures while Clara goes around on her own TARDIS, planning to take a very long way around before she ultimately has to return to the point just before her death.

Basically, I wonder why the wall didn't reset, just why the Time Lords keep being so drat stupid, and if they ever nailed down just what this drat Hybrid was.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The point of the hybrid is that it didn't matter what it was, and that Bad Wolf style telegraphed ongoing story arcs are stupid and distract you from what's actually going on in the episodes, which might have been a valid point if it wasn't presented as Stephen Moffat laughing at every single one of you dumb sheep who cared about the storyline he intentionally went out of his way to set up and tell you to care about from his position as the lead creative on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Hell yes, always happy to get a new one of these :)

The Doctor walking into a room and openly typing up fake papers he then hands over to a guard to explain why he's allowed in the room is an absolutely incredible scene :allears:

Psychic Paper is for scrubs, Psychological Paper is the next level.