Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think only the past few years are available. It may be the musical acts, but they almost never have full old seasons available anywhere.

Also, I'm pretty sure SNL has realized their only path to relevance now is getting a sketch to go viral on youtube, and has designed their entire show around tepid lib political commentary and people breaking during sketches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Mobile games famously require full rigid adherence to the ad copy. The McElroys wouldn't make a single red cent from RAID SHADOW LEGENDS.

When you definitely know what you're talking about

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Pennsylvanian posted:

There's a guy on Reddit who's been posting long-form friendly critiques of Graduation from the lense of an experienced DM talking to less-experienced DMs, and he had the idea of doing a Chrono Trigger-style opening sequence where the players are given a series of tasks to perform. Based on the actions of the players, the DM would then assign the players to the hero or villain schools. He outlined it a lot further, but it actually sounded more interesting and dynamic (while still being easy for a new DM to work with). The problem was that Travis definitely had the game laid out pretty rigidly and I think he didn't realize that what he had planned was going to take as long as it did.

In my day, the first session was meeting in a tavern and then killing the dire rats in the cellar of that tavern and we liked it!

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I liked solving a murder mystery in a tavern, personally. It's usually one of the bards on stage.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

An episode of Bullseye has gone 'viral' in the UK at least, picking up mainstream media coverage. It features Jesse Thorn talking to Robert Webb (Who you may know from Peep Show) about comments he made about the charity Mermaids, which helps Transgender kids. Thorne, as you probably known, has one transgender child and I believe one gender non-conforming child.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/14/robert-webb-questioned-about-mermaids-criticism-on-bullseye-podcast-14410628/

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/robert-webb-transgender-charity-mermaids-b1831739.html

https://twitter.com/JesseThorn/status/1382009511477530625

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

refusing to send your good audio in hopes that the people who did the interview would just kill the interview just makes you look like a petulant child

also i just listened and the "look, i'm not an expert" defense lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 15, 2021

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It sounds like he shared an article critical of Mermaids a few years ago that maybe mischaracterized them and then deleted it later? Is there more to it than that? Because if that's it I don't blame Webb for getting pissy when an interviewer tries to bring it up as some gotcha and make him weigh in on a hot-button social issue in what's supposed to be a light interview about his comedy.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

If that was the case it was a pretty wishy washy answer he gave when asked directly about trans children.

https://twitter.com/JoboGinger/status/1382450278457339911

Also I looked up the article and it was a ‘criticism of the charity’ by saying trans children should not be able to access gender related healthcare.

I don’t like jesse thorn but it’s a reasonable question and he offered to let him elaborate all he wanted in a follow up and then declined to send his recording.

inferis fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 15, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Yeah, it's a pretty uncomfortable listen.

Rob really comes off poorly, as his defenses are "I thought the article made good points at the time" but fails to recall what points he had agreed with. Then mentions there isn't anything he could say to make it better (prob true, but not trying isn't a good look). Then pretty hardily declines any comment on the charity or trans people (outside of that he supports them broadly speaking).

...with a lot of pausing and Jesse lobbing softballs at him in between. It's one thing to decide to never comment on a controversy ya start, but it does come across as not good to play ignorant of the whole thing.

Article does a good job highlighting that,

quote:

The 48-year-old said of Turner’s article: ‘I can’t even really remember what her specific objections were but they made sense to me at the time, and I retweeted it approvingly. There was this feeling that if you criticise a charity and the way it operates or its methodology, that is the same as criticising the client base. It’s like saying if I’ve got a problem with the way Oxfam is operating, it’s because I hate third people in the third world.’

He was then asked what specifically Webb was being critical of, with the star saying: ‘I can’t remember, Jesse, really. It was the end of 2018 and it’s not something I really want to talk about.’

There was a brief silence before Thorn asked: ‘Do you feel like it’s appropriate to affirm kids’ gender identities?’, with Webb saying: ‘Sure. I think it’s on a case by case basis but I’m not really an expert.’

Back in 2018, Webb wrote back to critics: ‘Accusing me of picking on children is dishonest and low. I was different, as was my wife. I was a “queer”, she was a “tomboy”. It turned out we were non gender-confoming children. Many kids like us turn out to be gay. Others don’t. A tiny minority have dysphoria. ‘That’s a medical condition and those children deserve respect, love, support and counselling. But telling all kids like me & Abbie that we were born into the wrong body & therefore need a lifetime of medication… that’s just wrong.’

Sounds a lot like JK :smith:

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 15, 2021

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

And keep in mind he didn’t just criticize the charity in isolation, this was part of a large amount of public figures trying to get a grant pulled from a charity because they don’t think children know their own gender.

I think the way he phrased it intentionally made it sound like it was something about how they are mismanaged it or misappropriated funds or something like that but the criticism in the original article was specifically that children should not be allowed to take puberty blockers that are prescribed by doctors.

inferis fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 15, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Having listened to that interview I gotta say that dude's absolutely a TERF and he sucks! He uses weasel words to frame it like he has a problem with the charity itself and not trans kids but doesn't elaborate on what that problem is even when asked, and says that people who had a problem with what he said were just "overheated".

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I don’t remember what I tweeted but I stand by it!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I doubt I'm saying anything new to most people in his thread but people should also keep in mind that this isn't just some 2 1/2 year old controversy. Trans rights in the UK have been under attack for years, and it has really, really amped up in recent months and from pretty much every direction from news, media, prominent terf public figures, etc. The relatively little pushback he got here for being a piece of poo poo TERF is probably the hardest he's ever had to defend his awful beliefs.

edit: im glad Jesse Thorn seems like an alright dad even if he is really bad at picking ads for his podcast network

Sankis fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 15, 2021

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

It was one question after 40 minutes of an obvious fan gassing him up and then giving him like four chances to say something not lovely or at least give a weak apology and leave things ambiguous.

Really didn’t think today would be the day I’m defending jesse thorn

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

dont worry im sure the bbc will soon have his side of the story and regail us all about how the awful American bullied him over his desire to 'protect women'

edit: maybe im just really tired and confused but im pretty sure we're on the same side?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 15, 2021

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Oh I wasn’t disagreeing, I think Jesse thorn sucks for a few reasons but this isn’t one of them.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

He also got flagged as potential TERF allyship in some weird TERF database thing

https://twitter.com/joss_prior/status/1333519095342436352

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Would you say that he AstroTERFed the interview?

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Slotducks posted:

He also got flagged as potential TERF allyship in some weird TERF database thing

https://twitter.com/joss_prior/status/1333519095342436352

maybe i'm just stupid but even after skimming the thread i have no idea what the hell that means

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I think it’s a bunch of British people gossiping about each other?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

British people, bad with minorities? Nooooo.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Hustle Hound posted:

maybe i'm just stupid but even after skimming the thread i have no idea what the hell that means

Looks like it a database of UK personalities who voiced support for an organization called Standing for Women, which appears to be an organization based around "woman means biological female", and he's on that list as having voiced support but has since stopped mentioning it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
So, was David Mitchell also in the interview, and if so did he just sit there silently while that whole discussion occurred?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Apparently the new and final adventure zone is out

Still not listening to it, but it sounds like there's a kinda directionless battle and then it just.. sorta ends?

4 weeks till Griffin's next campaign, hopefully it'll be worth a listen!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Apparently the new and final adventure zone is out

Still not listening to it, but it sounds like there's a kinda directionless battle and then it just.. sorta ends?

4 weeks till Griffin's next campaign, hopefully it'll be worth a listen!

Thanks for these great updates

Also color me shocked that we've got controversy that doesn't involve the brothers, does involve Jessie Thorn, BUT Thorn isn't the problem for once. Miracles do happen.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

So, was David Mitchell also in the interview, and if so did he just sit there silently while that whole discussion occurred?

Yep from there until the conclusion of the interview, all of them were all laughing and slapping until that question.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Man, I'm not gonna comment one way or the other on the TAZ episode, as I haven't listened, but this teaser clip is nothing. What an adventure.
https://twitter.com/TheZoneCast/status/1382676498960822273

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

When bingus is off screen all the other characters should be asking each other “where’s bingus?”

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

That is not a good teaser. Did they pick the part of the episode to showcase with a random dice roll?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Lol Travis opening the episode by telling everyone to "just triple" their HP maxes and +2 their AC. This sudden progress feels just so earned, don't it?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sankis posted:

I doubt I'm saying anything new to most people in his thread but people should also keep in mind that this isn't just some 2 1/2 year old controversy. Trans rights in the UK have been under attack for years, and it has really, really amped up in recent months and from pretty much every direction from news, media, prominent terf public figures, etc. The relatively little pushback he got here for being a piece of poo poo TERF is probably the hardest he's ever had to defend his awful beliefs.
it's also rapidly gaining momentum in the US. the florida house just passed a bill requiring school athletes to have their genitals examined to make sure The Nasty Trans aren't invading the sports, and texas wrote a bill that would criminalize being a supportive parent of a trans child including taking the child away

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thank Travis for ending Graduation. I might start listening to TAZ again.

The 7th Guest posted:

it's also rapidly gaining momentum in the US. the florida house just passed a bill requiring school athletes to have their genitals examined to make sure The Nasty Trans aren't invading the sports, and texas wrote a bill that would criminalize being a supportive parent of a trans child including taking the child away

I wonder how the pizzagate crowd is feeling about this one. :thunk:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

They, being exceedingly cruel and hateful of others, feel pretty good!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Crazyeyes posted:

Lol Travis opening the episode by telling everyone to "just triple" their HP maxes and +2 their AC. This sudden progress feels just so earned, don't it?

Welp that was what I was fearing he'd do. Just boost and rush the finale instead of tying the plot thread on a 'Good enough' closing.

It's over, though. I guess.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So I could never get past the first 3 or 4 episodes of Graduation. I feel bad for Travis a bit. I think like there's this feeling that you need to make your campaign world so lived in and unique that the whole thing inadvertently becomes too conceptual and unwieldy. I ran into the same problem when I ran my first homebrew campaign. Really D&D is at its best when it starts out a bit generic and you work with your players to turn the world into something special.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

grittyreboot posted:

So I could never get past the first 3 or 4 episodes of Graduation. I feel bad for Travis a bit. I think like there's this feeling that you need to make your campaign world so lived in and unique that the whole thing inadvertently becomes too conceptual and unwieldy. I ran into the same problem when I ran my first homebrew campaign. Really D&D is at its best when it starts out a bit generic and you work with your players to turn the world into something special.

What hurts the most of Graduation is that it's all in all a very common problem with new DMs and wouldn't have been so bad when you got to compare to your brother's campaign that was absolutely viral. It's like doing an act right after David Copperfield leaves the stage.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Pollyanna posted:

Thank Travis for ending Graduation. I might start listening to TAZ again.

They won't be fondling MY children because I raise them to act like proper little ladies who don't raise alarm. But those mannish-looking girls over there? The ones who transferred in last year from some "ethnic" region? We'd better do some corrective inspection just to make sure everything's on the up-and-up.

I loving hate this so much.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

grittyreboot posted:

It kinda feels like they forgot that that's how Balance happened. The first arc was literally just a canned module that Griffin was running and he added a bunch of his own lore as stuff went on. He didn't try to invent a whole world from scratch right from the get-go, it was basically them riffing over generic D&D-world. Some of the best early stuff is just them joking about normal D&D stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLUl3WV8AjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILQaZC24kiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Welp that was what I was fearing he'd do. Just boost and rush the finale instead of tying the plot thread on a 'Good enough' closing.

It's over, though. I guess.

Gets worse as they all have gotten insane abilities out of nowhere as well. Justin can just cast a massive group heal every turn if he wants to. Griffin has a huge "counter" reaction and Clint can just knock things prone at will. I wanted to see it through to the end but couldn't pay attention and started just zoning out so put on BDG's podcast instead. I like it.