Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Randallteal posted:

The one thing about ?s is some of them are hiding important recipies / schematics, aren't they? Both times I've played I looked up where to get upgraded Swallow and some of the armor parts after getting to Skellige.

I believe all the recipe / schematic upgrades are just random loot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea, and all the potion recipes are available from vendors.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Smol posted:

I believe all the recipe / schematic upgrades are just random loot.

I do think that the ? chests have a higher incidence of that loot, but yeah there are alternative methods to get everything. However the ? in general are at least interesting and at best very cool. So just by doing them as they catch your interest you will always be getting leveled rewards.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
Except for stellige sea ?, which are a drudge and can be ignored unless you just come across one or just need the cash.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the land ones are generally pretty good. But like don't go running across the whole map just because you noticed one you hadn't been to.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

No Levels. Makes all the equipment usable off the bat with scaling more akin to Fallout rather than having multiple versions of the same armournwith moderately better stats at higher levels. Still makes unique items and Witcher gear superior but it encourages you to actually use rare swords rather than just Iris and Aerondight.

I have a mod that does this; Item Levels Normalized. It causes the game to make all items you equip scale to your level, except for quest items (like Emmentaler, Blade from the Bits, Aerondight, etc) because that might break them. I've been rocking the starter warrior jacket and using Longclaw and Mastercrafted Silver Sword since level 9, and because they look tight. I'm hitting just as hard as with grandmaster level witcher items.

What I can't figure out is a build. Right now I have the manticore set for the bonuses, but I just can't find a build/play style I like.

e: Also, the auto oil apply mod isn't working.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 13, 2021

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the land ones are generally pretty good. But like don't go running across the whole map just because you noticed one you hadn't been to.

It's me, I'm the guy who has to see every marked spot in a Bethesda game. Clearing maps is my curse, and my curse will not be denied.

Also I'm slowly chipping away at the game and I'm getting the feeling you're supposed to follow the main quest until you hit level 10. I assume this because I'm in Vellen and all of the Witcher contracts are out of my league (lowest I can find is level 10, I'm still lvl 7). Is this the correct assumption or did I miss a whole bunch of low level contracts somewhere? I cleared out White Orchard as well.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HoboTech posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who has to see every marked spot in a Bethesda game. Clearing maps is my curse, and my curse will not be denied.

Also I'm slowly chipping away at the game and I'm getting the feeling you're supposed to follow the main quest until you hit level 10. I assume this because I'm in Vellen and all of the Witcher contracts are out of my league (lowest I can find is level 10, I'm still lvl 7). Is this the correct assumption or did I miss a whole bunch of low level contracts somewhere? I cleared out White Orchard as well.

Reason not to do this in W3 is they are leveled to you, so if you ubisoft all of velen, you will be flush with a bunch of low level, low selling garbage for your trouble. If you do them sporadically as the main quest takes you places, it gives you a steady stream of income, and leaves others out there if you need cash for a diagram, materials, etc.

Yeah, do MQ, and then side quests whenever you like, as once you outlevel them (you will) they no longer give much XP, if any. Side quests are still fun to do and have good stories attached to them. Contracts are monster hunting quests and normally have a leveled reward at the end like a sword or armor piece iirc.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is there a reason to avoid vortex mod manager and go with the witcher mod manager? Is one better than the other?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Use Witcher Mod Manager Vortex is a mess.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Reason not to do this in W3 is they are leveled to you, so if you ubisoft all of velen, you will be flush with a bunch of low level, low selling garbage for your trouble. If you do them sporadically as the main quest takes you places, it gives you a steady stream of income, and leaves others out there if you need cash for a diagram, materials, etc.

Yeah, do MQ, and then side quests whenever you like, as once you outlevel them (you will) they no longer give much XP, if any. Side quests are still fun to do and have good stories attached to them. Contracts are monster hunting quests and normally have a leveled reward at the end like a sword or armor piece iirc.

This is very good to know. Sounds like I should only do side quests if I need new gear or if the main quest gets too rough and I need to level or something. Do you know if the game sets the loot level when you take the quest or when you actually show up to do it? Because I've collected a few quests that I'm too low level for and I hope I didn't lock them into lovely gear by accepting them too soon.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

HoboTech posted:

Yeah I would suggest following the Bloody Baron chain (Velen main quest) for a bit. It is extremely good, one of the very best quest chains in the game + DLC and will get you a few levels to make the early game less punishing.

As a general rule, most of the XP is in the main quests and fairly little in side quests.

There's no reason to clear everything that's at your current level, just do whatever is interesting you can always come back later. There is not reason whatsoever to try to min/max XP by doing everything at the appropriate level. This is not a game where min/maxing is fun or rewarding or remotely necessary.

Wear the gear that looks coolest, do whatever is fun because it's cool and fun.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

Is there a reason to avoid vortex mod manager and go with the witcher mod manager? Is one better than the other?

I used vortex and it was fine. I only use a handful of mods though.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Should probably keep using it. Witcher 3 mod manager can't handle the HD texture rework mod. Just goes white and 'not responding' all day.

Weak mod manager.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HD textures tell you not to use the mod manager for that very reason, you just paste the folders into the mod folder.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
All the armor upgrade diagrams are located in ? areas, so if you clear everything, you should find them. The quest items to show you which areas are either dropped by NPCs and/or sold by merchants.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

HoboTech posted:

This is very good to know. Sounds like I should only do side quests if I need new gear or if the main quest gets too rough and I need to level or something. Do you know if the game sets the loot level when you take the quest or when you actually show up to do it? Because I've collected a few quests that I'm too low level for and I hope I didn't lock them into lovely gear by accepting them too soon.

Don't worry about it. The best gear (and what you'll wear/use for most of the game) is the crafted Witcher gear sets, which are at fixed levels anyway. The crafting patterns are in fixed locations so you can always just look those up online if you want.

Generally speaking, you're doing side-quests for the story, not for the gear or XP rewards. Probably 80-90% of your XP comes from following the main quest, so you'll never really be under-levelled for it.

Contracts are almost exclusively from noticeboards in towns (the yellow icons on the map). There's plenty of high-level ones in Velen, but if you run around to a few various towns there's some lower level ones too.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
A lot of these mods I can't even tell if they're working. Such as the HD textures or the better trophies for the super turbo improved lighting or the improved signs mod.

Then there's this from the script merger. What the hell am I looking and, and what is to be done? I have 11 conflicts, and so far only 3 of them have been successful. Can I just ignore them? Is this why it doesn't seem like all the mods are working?

e: It appears that that HD Rework is incompatihble with the turbo lighting and weathers enhanced mods, so I'll just remove those two so I can have enhanced textures I guess.

ee: According to Mod Mergers author, the Mod Merger is no longer required because they released the Mods Limit Fix, and you're only supposed to use the Mod Merger tool if you run into the mod limit problem. If you don't encounter the mod limit problem, then there's no need to merge anything, thus making the mod merger tool needless. This is probably my fault because I was convinced I had to use the merger tool and fix all the problems it identified, but ultimately I didn't.

What a mess. Nothing makes sense. Time for bed.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 14, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The merger is to resolve things when two mods change the same file (by default the game just loads the first instance of the modded file that it finds and ignores the rest). In some cases this is benign, they might change completely different things in that file for completely separate reasons, meaning you can just merge both sets of changes into one file. That's what the mod merger tries to do. But if two mods try to change the same lines in a file in different ways, you get conflicts, and if they can be merged at all, it's on you to understand what they're trying to and merge them together manually.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Is there an easy way to find my missing quests and contracts besides digging through the list ingame? A mod perhaps?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Virtue posted:

Is there an easy way to find my missing quests and contracts besides digging through the list ingame? A mod perhaps?

I do not know of that mod, so someone else can handle that.

For the in game option, witcher contracts are all from job boards by signposts. If you play the entire game, i think you find all of them organically.so any job boards still yellow might have a contract, assuming you just take every quest from every board. Otherwise, if you see what looks like a settlement on the map, and do not have a signpost there, that is a hint there could be a contract or something there.

There are sidequests that you find in the game world, if you ever went close to them, they will show up as an ! on the map. Otherwise they are mostly minor quests, so a mod may indeed help there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hardest quests to find in the game are both in Skellige. One is an rear end in a top hat living on the same island as a griffin who usually gets killed before his "find me books!" quest can start. The other is the random cave with a dude who mistook a water hag for a succubus and now he's having a hard time breaking up with her. I can never remember where the cave is except that it is east of the palisade.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hardest quests to find in the game are both in Skellige. One is an rear end in a top hat living on the same island as a griffin who usually gets killed before his "find me books!" quest can start. The other is the random cave with a dude who mistook a water hag for a succubus and now he's having a hard time breaking up with her. I can never remember where the cave is except that it is east of the palisade.

hah, I've done 4 full playthroughs and never found either of these

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

As I recall Equine Phantoms, one of the best quests in the game, is found in the middle of some woods at a completely unmarked house that you can't see on the map.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

As I recall Equine Phantoms, one of the best quests in the game, is found in the middle of some woods at a completely unmarked house that you can't see on the map.

I almost missed it on my replay, yeah, you can completely miss it if you just happen to never take that road on the way to wherever you're trying to go. I had to google its location to make sure I saw it again before finishing the main quest line.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

There's another Skellige sidequest involving pirates & slaves that you can't start if you've already completed the Novigrad questline so it requires you heading there early and doing some exploring. I forget exactly what happens but remember having to kinda go out of my way to get it on a second playthrough.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hobo Clown posted:

There's another Skellige sidequest involving pirates & slaves that you can't start if you've already completed the Novigrad questline so it requires you heading there early and doing some exploring. I forget exactly what happens but remember having to kinda go out of my way to get it on a second playthrough.

If you start Lambert's quest in Novigrad then the slaver quest on Faroe Isle is superseded by Lambert's rampage quest to track down Jad Karadin. In the slaver quest you walk up, pretend you're interested in buying, and then you slaughter every human trafficker in the village.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I do all of the Skellige ?s on every playthrough, they have a bunch of of little vignettes that aren't quests or anything but still tell a tiny story. Ghost ships, sacrifices, hanged pirates, a large ship covered in flames.

Plus I like to make all of the mastercrafted and later grandmaster armors and weapons and those chests are full of dimeritium or things that could be broken down into dimeritium or at least its component thingies.

I like to mentally map out the ?s to go for on a little run and relax and sail around and see what there is to see, just takin' however long it takes. Helps that the Skellige music is great

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hardest quests to find in the game are both in Skellige. One is an rear end in a top hat living on the same island as a griffin who usually gets killed before his "find me books!" quest can start.

i found this but i have no fuckin clue how to finish it :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fortaleza posted:

Plus I like to make all of the mastercrafted and later grandmaster armors and weapons and those chests are full of dimeritium or things that could be broken down into dimeritium or at least its component thingies.
You dont need to do a single Skellige water ? to be able to afford all of the Grandmaster sets in Blood & Wine.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Cleaning out the bandit-infested forts in Toussaint pay ridiculously well; 20 or so bandits, multiple chests, and clearing it spawns a vendor so you can dump your 7k worth of looted swords/armor. The Skellige sea POIs are 2-3 chests, nothing special.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fur20 posted:

i found this but i have no fuckin clue how to finish it :v:

You need to find romance books across the world, most of then can be bought from the bookshop in Novigrad. You'll know they're the right ones because you can't drop them from your inventory since they're quest items.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cobalt-60 posted:

Cleaning out the bandit-infested forts in Toussaint pay ridiculously well; 20 or so bandits, multiple chests, and clearing it spawns a vendor so you can dump your 7k worth of looted swords/armor. The Skellige sea POIs are 2-3 chests, nothing special.

They're also infinitely respawning if you don't kill the bandit leader running the place.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fortaleza posted:

I do all of the Skellige ?s on every playthrough, they have a bunch of of little vignettes that aren't quests or anything but still tell a tiny story. Ghost ships, sacrifices, hanged pirates, a large ship covered in flames.
Some do, but those are few and far between a bunch of just random shipwrecks and floating barrels that don't even come with a note attached. You're right that there's a story but Skellige ?s have like 25% the Story Density Factor of Velen.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

So I'm liking the game and all, but man this absolutely is turning out to be the feast of depression that I thought it might be. I just finished the Fyke Isle, Bloody Baron, and a handful of other quests and I've come to the conclusion that the only way I'm getting through this game to completion is to put on my nihilist glasses and realize that everything is going to be horrible for everyone all the time. I don't think that's bad necessarily, and it's obvious the game is going for "in a serious world there are no right answers" but the only quests I ever feel good about doing are the monster slaying ones, and even then half the time I'm putting down the spirit of some poor woman who was murdered because some rear end in a top hat wanted to bone her but couldn't.

It's an excellent HBO drama though, I'll give it that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have you made it to Novigrad yet? Have you found any rock troll army volunteers yet?

I'm not gonna deny things get bleak because you've just come off two of the most depressing questlines in the game but you're going to rob yourself of enjoyment if you settle for nihilism going forward. Not everything has a happy ending but justice and kindness do exist in the game, especially once Geralt reunites with his group of friends in Novigrad.

Also how did you resolve the Fyke Isle questline if I might ask

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 15, 2021

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have you made it to Novigrad yet? Have you found any rock troll army volunteers yet?

Also how did you resolve the Fyke Isle questline if I might ask

I just started the first main quest that sends you to Novigrad, but I'd been there before in my search for a decent blacksmith. Also no, I don't even know what the rock troll army is, but at this point I expect Novigrad has an underground child trafficking ring run by the local orphanage and the rock trolls hold contests for who can pull the most peasants apart with their bare hands. I already got to see the little show put on by the inquisitors in the Novigrad town square, so that's fun too.

I'm willing to believe it gets better, but man it does not seem to be going in that direction.

edit: in Fyke isle I picked the path that seemed to be the most helpful for the living and the dead. Of course it was also the path where everyone involved died. Hey, at least the game is consistent!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well when I say rock troll army I really mean "one very enthusiastic volunteer rock troll who wants to join the redanians because he enjoys their marching songs and their birdymans."

Edit: okay fine. That's hardly a spoiler but people might like it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 15, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Don't spoil poo poo man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HoboTech posted:

I just started the first main quest that sends you to Novigrad, but I'd been there before in my search for a decent blacksmith. Also no, I don't even know what the rock troll army is, but at this point I expect Novigrad has an underground child trafficking ring run by the local orphanage and the rock trolls hold contests for who can pull the most peasants apart with their bare hands. I already got to see the little show put on by the inquisitors in the Novigrad town square, so that's fun too.

I'm willing to believe it gets better, but man it does not seem to be going in that direction.

edit: in Fyke isle I picked the path that seemed to be the most helpful for the living and the dead. Of course it was also the path where everyone involved died. Hey, at least the game is consistent!

Rock troll we are talking about is directly west of oxenfurt not far from the coast. Go there for some fun.

There is no child trafficking ring, it never gets that bad. Velen is indeed the worst. Lighter hearted quests are coming soon when you get to the MQ in Novigrad and start trying to find Dandelion. Skellige also is a very different feel with some dark points but some high points as well.

Which ending are you referring too with Fyke Isle? Since both involve death, but one is much different than the other.