Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The 4% rule is based on a retirement period of 25 years using a portfolio with a 50/50 S&P500/bonds allocation. It begins to fail if you are considering longer retirement periods or start adding mutual fund fees into that equation (don't use high fee funds, ever). It also goes without saying that just because the 4% rule has held for the past 50 rolling 25 year periods in the US (changes for other countries also) doesn't mean it will continue to hold into the future. In short, I probably wouldn't use it as a hard and fast rule and I'm personally trying to aim for more to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

One way to be conservative is aim for 4% to be your baristafire number, i.e. you just need to pick up a few hours here or there or make up some fun income in order to make it safe.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The 4% rule guy thinks it could be the 4.5% rule on https://rationalreminder.ca/podcast/135, for what it's worth. It's a good chat about when the 4% rule is and isn't appropriate. There's a transcript there too if audio isn't your preferred format.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

pokeyman posted:

The 4% rule guy thinks it could be the 4.5% rule on https://rationalreminder.ca/podcast/135, for what it's worth. It's a good chat about when the 4% rule is and isn't appropriate. There's a transcript there too if audio isn't your preferred format.

I think we're at the point where there's not a single Canadian investing topic that hasn't been covered in detail by one of the PWL crew - whether Ben, Justin, or Dan.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Nofeed posted:

I think we're at the point where there's not a single Canadian investing topic that hasn't been covered in detail by one of the PWL crew - whether Ben, Justin, or Dan.

No kidding. Partly due to how prolific they all are, and partly because this stuff really doesn't change all that quickly. At least they tend to agree with one another.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

pokeyman posted:

No kidding. Partly due to how prolific they all are, and partly because this stuff really doesn't change all that quickly. At least they tend to agree with one another.

As an outsider, I've kind of felt that any decent financial advisor has about 5 or 6 portfolios (potentially handed down from above) that they apply to absolutely everybody except maybe a handful of clients whose portfolio size (& thus fees) and circumstances justify something a little more customized.

And still probably nobody wants anything to do with you before you have a million or so in investable assets ... unless you're obviously going to be there soon.

Anyway, what I mean to say is "they have a lot of spare time to either golf (find new clients?) or write things up"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

You're probably not wrong. I think PWL especially has made a point to encourage their people to make/go on podcasts, write stuff up, and generally share with others as a hiring and marketing strategy.

They'd also argue that their value is not so much the mechanics of running a portfolio, but even the other value is probably a lot of waiting for the phone to ring. Might as well do something in the meantime.

Kinda cracks me up when the Rational Reminder crew are dumbfounded that anyone would want to retire from their job. Maybe some other people, uh, don't have as good a job as they do?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

pokeyman posted:

You're probably not wrong. I think PWL especially has made a point to encourage their people to make/go on podcasts, write stuff up, and generally share with others as a hiring and marketing strategy.

This is called Content Marketing. Ben Felix is a good example but think e.g. iFixIt. They produce content that is valuable on its own and give it away freely in hopes that you will buy parts & tools from them. I once worked on Content Marketing Automation tools at a startup. It sounds like a total bullshit phrase but when you explain it like, "give people useful stuff for free and they'll like you" it's a wonder anyone thinks it's revolutionary.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Interesting chart of the day.

https://twitter.com/TimmerFidelity/status/1379534626914365440

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

earlyretirementnow.com's safe withdrawal series did a bunch of quantitative analyses on the subject that I found very illuminating even as a non-math guy. There are thirtysome chapters last I looked, some of which are US-specific but are otherwise broadly applicable. TLDR is that for longer horizons a higher equity percentage is needed; 3.25-3.5% is a safe withdrawal rate even if you're hit by negative sequencing; and cash buffers can be useful in riding out downturns but the opportunity cost isn't always worth it.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Hey all, not sure if this is the right thread - but looking for an answer to something a bit odd in our mortgage.

We are looking to renew our mortgage, and the company we are currently with quoted us...

2 yr fixed : 3.2%
3 yr fixed : 3.65%
4 yr fixed : 4.24%
58 month fixed : 2.09%
5 yr fixed : 4.790%

I am a bit confused as to the large difference between a 5 year, versus the 58 month. Could there be a reason as to why the difference? Could it be a typo, or some odd selling point?

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Might be a promo of some sort. Still nothing that impressive - Tangerine has 1.35% variable for 5-year variable and Simplii has 1.45% with $3000 cashback on the same timeline.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

EQ Bank gave me 1.79% on a 5-year fixed earlier this week

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I just got 1.7 fixed from BMO. With a 2k bonus.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I'm in the final stages of getting at 1.79% refinance from HSBC, so you should definitely shop around those numbers if it's just a renew.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://twitter.com/JohnPasalis/status/1381241520771186694?s=20
https://twitter.com/JohnPasalis/status/1381241522927108100?s=20
https://twitter.com/JohnPasalis/status/1381241524697100296?s=20
:shepface:

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Guigui posted:

Hey all, not sure if this is the right thread - but looking for an answer to something a bit odd in our mortgage.

We are looking to renew our mortgage, and the company we are currently with quoted us...

2 yr fixed : 3.2%
3 yr fixed : 3.65%
4 yr fixed : 4.24%
58 month fixed : 2.09%
5 yr fixed : 4.790%

I am a bit confused as to the large difference between a 5 year, versus the 58 month. Could there be a reason as to why the difference? Could it be a typo, or some odd selling point?

I'd say it's some sort of promo as the others have mentioned. I'd still say get in touch with a broker, rates are almost all under 2% right now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I have a dumb question: I bought my place 5 years ago, just processing the renewal. My original amortization was 25 years, but now 5 years later it's shown on my renewal docs as 17 years and 4 months. Why the discrepancy there? Something something biweekly payments vs monthly?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

I have a dumb question: I bought my place 5 years ago, just processing the renewal. My original amortization was 25 years, but now 5 years later it's shown on my renewal docs as 17 years and 4 months. Why the discrepancy there? Something something biweekly payments vs monthly?

Biweekly would do that, yes.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You're, uh, richer than you think.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

This shouldn't surprise anyone. It's a variant of the trick Maggie Thatcher pulled with allowing people to buy out their own council homes (public housing). Overnight you've created a giant tranche of wannabe landed gentry who will happily get on board with your policies as long as they benefit.

The current housing situation is no different. Anyone who's jumped on the housing ladder has a personal vested interest in ensuring that their home appreciates in value. It is simultaneously their home, their investment and their retirement policy all in one. In some cases it represents the sum of all of their accumulated generational wealth which will pass onto the next generation. If housing tanked to the point where a single family home in Richmond Hill was worth 500k again you'd see blood on the streets. Whatever government made that happen would get wiped out in an electoral landslide in the next election.

There's no easy way to rip this bandaid off. Too many people got hooked on the drug and with that level of buy-in you have all you need to feed that foreign investment cadre while juicing the economic growth numbers for a bare minimum of effort.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

EQ Bank announced their savings rates are going down again. 1.50% --> 1.25% Got this email in my inbox:

quote:

Hi RuBisCO,

Over the past year, we’ve seen unparalleled low benchmark interest rates in Canada, and these continuing economic realities do have an effect on bank account interest rates. We get how important your earnings are, and we’ve tried to keep our high interest rates intact for as long as possible—even in the face of other financial institutions reducing theirs. Unfortunately, given persistent record low benchmark rates, we need to adjust our rates. And so:

As of Friday, April 16th, 2021, the interest rate on our Savings Plus Account will change from 1.50% to 1.25%*; as of Wednesday, May 26th, 2021, the interest rates on our TFSA Savings Account and RSP Savings Account will change from 2.30% to 1.25%.*

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Canadian Tire Bank still top of the table, I think that's been a pretty decent streak.

I went back to the OP to see if https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/ was linked there (it isn't and it probably should be), and on page one is a post from 2013 about Questrade's long-term viability. I wonder if they'll ever shake the vague sense that they're gonna get gobbled up "soon".

Also from page one is Lexicon intentionally not saving anything in their RRSP. I dunno if you still read the thread, but if you do, have you stuck to that plan?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The "Crypto Lol" portfolio from the 2020 dip has now gained $936,000 in one year, from the initial $96k they put in. So our goon friend is officially a millionaire if they didn't cash out yet.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Amazing.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

pokeyman posted:

Canadian Tire Bank still top of the table, I think that's been a pretty decent streak.

I went back to the OP to see if https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/chart/ was linked there (it isn't and it probably should be), and on page one is a post from 2013 about Questrade's long-term viability. I wonder if they'll ever shake the vague sense that they're gonna get gobbled up "soon".

Also from page one is Lexicon intentionally not saving anything in their RRSP. I dunno if you still read the thread, but if you do, have you stuck to that plan?

I have not. Huge change in circumstances since then. I now have a regular jobby-job and it’s optimal for me to contribute.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Questrade is now also getting into the mortgage game, so it might just implode for different reasons if the RE market goes south.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Rime posted:

The "Crypto Lol" portfolio from the 2020 dip has now gained $936,000 in one year, from the initial $96k they put in. So our goon friend is officially a millionaire if they didn't cash out yet.

I chose to believe :allears:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Lexicon posted:

I have not. Huge change in circumstances since then. I now have a regular jobby-job and it’s optimal for me to contribute.

Right on. The old post reminded me of a discussion with an American colleague who doesn't contribute to their 401.k. I was convinced they would come out slightly ahead (no match, but tax deferment likely overcame the fees), they were not. But I'm always curious about situations that go against the common wisdom.

iv46vi posted:

Questrade is now also getting into the mortgage game, so it might just implode for different reasons if the RE market goes south.

They've never struck me as a particularly… tasteful? company. Which is maybe a weird thing to say, but it wouldn't be out of character for them to make some odd decisions. I'm not worried about them disappearing tomorrow or anything, they're just on permanent side-eye.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm fixing to make a contribution in kind from an unregistered account to my registered accounts now that I know my contribution limits.

Am I right in my understanding that these are the risks?
1. Price fluctuation while the trade settles leading to over or under contribution. I have about 1% liquid in the registered accounts so I was thinking if I over contribute I'll just withdraw the amount of dollars I over contributed by the next day. On the other side, I expect to under contribute a bit since it won't perfectly divide by the share price, then top it up with liquid.
2. The transfer still counts as a taxable effect for capital gains purposes, needing to calculate and submit the ACB next year.

So, compared to selling and buying, the contribution in kind only saves the commission fees.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

How much money are we talking about here? If it's like $50k in kind then it might be worth futzing around with transfer, but if we're talking $10k I would just transfer cash from a line of credit and pay it off over 6 months or whatever to avoid the hassle you're describing.

Also your plan doesn't mention what kind of registered account. This matters because the consequences of your plan to withdraw differ depending on what it is.

Look in to the $2000 RRSP over contribution rule to see if it is relevant to your situation.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Both TFSA and RRSP. The line of credit is a good idea, and I also think I have a promo rate available. I'll look into that, thanks!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Edit: nvm, your accounts aren’t non registered

qhat fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 15, 2021

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for not knowing what I'm talking about. I'm trying to figure out my tax situation and I've gotten a few conflicting pieces of info so I was wondering if anyone had ideas here:
  • CRA deemed me a non-resident as of December 30, 2019
  • Spent every day of 2020 in South Korea
  • Earned income as a contractor throughout 2020 from a Canadian company
From what I've read on the CRA site and Googling around, it seems that I'll still need to pay Canadian income tax even though I've been deemed a non-resident. Before leaving Canada I received advice from an accountant that income tax in Canada is based on residency so non-residents wouldn't pay income tax, but the more I read the less that seems correct. If there's a way I can legally avoid paying Canadian taxes for 2020 when I didn't spent a god drat millisecond in Canada that would be great, but I'm ready to eat poo poo and pay if needed. Thanks in advance.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...a.html#txblgtns

It sounds to me like you provided services in Canada and are subject to the Part 1 tax. Depending on the kind of work though, maybe an accountant could reasonably claim you didn't provide services 'in Canada'. I think you'd want expert advice on this if you want to a) not pay tax and b) limit your liability.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rime posted:

High risk/high reward sometimes works. Usually it doesn't. That's the kind of "portfolio" that could also crash 75% in one day and I wouldn't bet against that not happening.

If that were me, I'd be on pins and needles and probably would have cashed out ages ago.

pokeyman posted:

I loathe anything Canadian tire.

Who's next best after them?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

slidebite posted:

I loathe anything Canadian tire.

Who's next best after them?

Neo Financial.

(Whatever that is.)

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Pivo posted:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...a.html#txblgtns

It sounds to me like you provided services in Canada and are subject to the Part 1 tax. Depending on the kind of work though, maybe an accountant could reasonably claim you didn't provide services 'in Canada'. I think you'd want expert advice on this if you want to a) not pay tax and b) limit your liability.

Thanks! I talked to CRA and they walked me through what I should do. Basically I will pay income tax but there are several credits/business expense write offs I can take advantage of and some schedules I need to include as a non-resident.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

pokeyman posted:

Neo Financial.

(Whatever that is.)

lol.. no kidding. Thanks though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I can't recall the name but isn't there an online banking service out there that offers you to tie your checking account to a visa/mastercard? Its not ties to any of the major banks and has a "startup" type name but google is failing me.