Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Can anyone point me to decent resin or other bases with rocky terrain that elevates the model somewhat? I have one of those older 40k space marine characters that is dwarfed next to a regular intercessor and would like to put him on a more heroic base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

Luckily contrast paints and washes don't gum up the seal that bad so those are the only GW lines I'll still get

Yeah it's incredible how much longer my contrast paint lasts than old pots of citadel paints I used to have. I might see the bottom of a pot yet!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Lucinice posted:

I have Warhammer Underworlds warbands to paint. I want to get them looking similar to their card art so I need a variety of paints.

The reason I'm going Citadel paints is because I know people who use them and I haven't found a reliable place locally to get alternatives. But in your opinion what makes Vallejo the superior option?

Agree with the other comments, for sheer waste alone, the dropper bottles are far better. GW's pots are wasteful. But there's no big deal with mixing, I have tons of other paints, it's just I wish the spine of my paints was Vallejo, bc it's also cheaper

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Lucinice posted:

This is why it took me over a year to even try and start painting. In the end I just asked friends for the minimum amount of paints I needed for a project.

Speaking of the minimum amount of Citadel paint, I have a relatively small collection of paints and I was wondering if there's anything I should include.

In no particular order I have:
Ushabti bone
Cadian fleshtone
Reikland fleshshade
Rhinox hide
Leadbelcher
Celestra grey
Abaddon black
Rakarth Flesh
Kantor Blue
Nighthaunt Gloom
Warboss green
Mephiston red
Retributor armor
Incubi Darkness

There’s a lot of great advice here about what you actually “need,” especially when you should really buy based on what you plan to paint, but I will say this:

Anytime I see a list like this and I don’t see Zandri Dust I’m always like “Aw man this list is missing Zandri Dust.”

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I mostly buy Vallejo air paints now, because the consistency is just right for normal brushing too and I rarely have time to gently caress around with preparing my wet pallet anyway. I think there is some value to getting citadel paints, namely that a lot of tutorials use them, and as beginner it can be quite overwhelming to be told ‘just use another brown’ when you’re desperately trying to figure out what goes where and why.

At this point it’s hard to imagine that GW doesn’t know that their bottles are by far the worst on the market, so it kinda has to be on purpose.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The first batch of GW inks that made it to California had an absurd number of leaking bottles in them. At Games of Berkeley we marked down a couple of dozen ink sets from our first order. it was a debacle. There were a couple of hundred bottles of ink headed for the trash.

Well, we couldn't sell them but by drat there was still ink in most of those bottles. Before a week was out we had some amazing models in our display cases painted by employees. I still have a few bottles from that initial shipment, when I crack one open they're still good after decades.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Eej posted:

My painting life goal is to be able to do something at a fraction of quality of David Soper's Plague Marine and he used the same highlight and shadow colour across every shade he used to add cohesiveness to the colour scheme. If he can use one white and one purpley black on top of a single base colour then you don't need to buy 2-3 progressively lighter/darker shades of your base colours to get the job done. Just patience and practice with blending and mixing.

Yeah yeah he's a multiple Golden Daemon winner but don't feel like not having 35 paints for one model is holding you back.
i recently did this on a model (light flesh to highlight, payne's grey to shade) and although it's not remotely in the same league as that plague marine i did like the subtle consistency it brought to the warmth of the highlights and coolness of the shadows

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

jesus WEP posted:

i recently did this on a model (light flesh to highlight, payne's grey to shade) and although it's not remotely in the same league as that plague marine i did like the subtle consistency it brought to the warmth of the highlights and coolness of the shadows

Do you happen to know a good tutorial video on this? I don't trust myself not to muck up the shadows.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sure do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHg1yfX-dXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD3bahZd_Nw

Ultimately it's a matter of making a rough gradiant on your wet palette with progressively more of the highlight/shadow colour. In general I found you want to take it easy with the shadow, a little goes a long way. On the highlight side I maybe ended up with like a 2:1 mix of highlight:base, maybe even more highlight than that for the brightest areas

jesus WEP fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 13, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
2000 points of space wolves all painted up, here's the list if anyone's curious. https://pastebin.com/DCPLqTxS
TLDR it's just spiced up indomitus

And here's the last dude painted for the army. Going to be run as Harald Deathwolf or a wolf lord with black death. Usually not the warlord, that's the bike chaplain wolf priest.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Putting the finishing painting touches on 20 grots. This standard bearer is just about done.

Haven't decided how to base them yet. Currently leaning either dead, withered forest or overgrown swamp.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a pale gold color with good coverage via brush and airbrush? Working on an Imperial Knight, and I'm paranoid that my gold trim is going to look all streaky because Citadel Liberator Gold sucks over large surfaces.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If all you have to work with are GW pots, I'd paint the entire area you want gold a medium brown, then paint a darker gold with good coverage over it, then paint your pale gold on top.

I've never used liberator gold, but that's how I get good use out of Sycorax Bronze. Dark brown -> Balthazar Gold -> Sycorax Bronze makes Sycorax Bronze actually work.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Paddyo posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a pale gold color with good coverage via brush and airbrush? Working on an Imperial Knight, and I'm paranoid that my gold trim is going to look all streaky because Citadel Liberator Gold sucks over large surfaces.

I may be misunderstanding what you want but Scale 75 citrine alchemy is ridiculously pale and covers really well.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Thanks for the advice. Kind of limited paint options where I live outside of Vallejo and Citadel. I like the idea of base coating brown though, so will give that a try.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Booyah- posted:

[quote="Winklebottom" post="513961485"]
Putting the finishing painting touches on 20 grots. This standard bearer is just about done.

Very cool! I really like the grots' aesthetics.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

My painting life goal is to be able to do something at a fraction of quality of David Soper's Plague Marine and he used the same highlight and shadow colour across every shade he used to add cohesiveness to the colour scheme. If he can use one white and one purpley black on top of a single base colour then you don't need to buy 2-3 progressively lighter/darker shades of your base colours to get the job done. Just patience and practice with blending and mixing.

Yeah yeah he's a multiple Golden Daemon winner but don't feel like not having 35 paints for one model is holding you back.

My more recent painting style has been to stick to a handful of colors and just add white/black to get different tones. I've been painting historicals a lot, so it hasn't been too hard, but I've also managed to do it with some other figures:

For Wolverine, I just used Vallejo Black, GW White Scar, Vallejo SS Middle Brown, GW Averland Sunset, GW Mephiston Red and GW Bugmans Flesh.

I think the flesh I did on this Gnome is probably my best work to date. It's just Bugman's Flesh, White and a little bit of mephiston red to add some pink.

One day I too want to reach the point of someone like David Soper.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Crossposting:
Working on a new bases for my Transuranic Arquebus Mechanicum lads:

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 14, 2021

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Very cool.

Also thumbnail image BBcode is your friend.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Apologies if this isn't a perfect fit here, but does anyone have a recommendation for a "center finder"-type device for drilling weapon barrels? I'm apparently incapable of eyeballing it effectively, and an off-center barrel hole looks worse than just leaving it undrilled.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Sharp/mechanical pencil, draw an X, drill at the cross. Just a matter of finding something that’ll show up on the plastic.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
You can also do this very lightly with an xacto; making a decently symmetric x isn't hard. If you press slightly harder with each stroke near the middle of the barrel, where both strokes overlap (aka the center) there will be a nice start that means your pin vice won't wander. Once you have the barrel sufficiently drilled you can lightly file the front of the gun or shave it down ever so slightly to remove any remaining evidence of the cuts.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

On bigger barrels I end up drilling a slightly off-center hole and then using the tip of my exacto to shave the hole into centeredness.

It ain't much but it's honest work.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The Easy Rider posted:

Apologies if this isn't a perfect fit here, but does anyone have a recommendation for a "center finder"-type device for drilling weapon barrels? I'm apparently incapable of eyeballing it effectively, and an off-center barrel hole looks worse than just leaving it undrilled.

Get a pair of magnifiers. It's a game changing tool.

I use 6x, at that magnification there's no missing center mass. I usually insert the tip of my scalpal and give it a little spin, creating a sort of pilot hole for the 1mm drill bit that I'll use afterwards to actually make the hole.
Example:

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 15, 2021

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I got a weirdboy painted to tts. I think he's a little muddy, but I plan to revisit after I learn to do osl well, or maybe sooner idk

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

I got a weirdboy painted to tts. I think he's a little muddy, but I plan to revisit after I learn to do osl well, or maybe sooner idk

LOL are those gretchin puppeting that Weirdboy around Weekend at Bernies style?

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

You can also do this very lightly with an xacto; making a decently symmetric x isn't hard. If you press slightly harder with each stroke near the middle of the barrel, where both strokes overlap (aka the center) there will be a nice start that means your pin vice won't wander. Once you have the barrel sufficiently drilled you can lightly file the front of the gun or shave it down ever so slightly to remove any remaining evidence of the cuts.

tangy yet delightful posted:

On bigger barrels I end up drilling a slightly off-center hole and then using the tip of my exacto to shave the hole into centeredness.

It ain't much but it's honest work.

The Demilich posted:

Get a pair of magnifiers. It's a game changing tool.

I use 6x, at that magnification there's no missing center mass. I usually insert the tip of my scalpal and give it a little spin, creating a sort of pilot hole for the 1mm drill bit that I'll use afterwards to actually make the hole.
Example:

Excellent advice all around, thank you. Looking into the magnifiers now, and will test out the scoring methods when I have some hobby time tomorrow.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

AndyElusive posted:

LOL are those gretchin puppeting that Weirdboy around Weekend at Bernies style?

I always thought they were trying to hold him down so he wouldn’t fly away, but I think I like them puppeteering him more.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bucnasti posted:

I always thought they were trying to hold him down so he wouldn’t fly away, but I think I like them puppeteering him more.

I feel like they're trying to stop him, saturday night in a city centre pub style "Leave it Dave! He's not worth it!".

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The best art encourages the observer to bring their own meaning to the piece, or someting

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I painted a purple titty lady (nsfw)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Zuul the Cat posted:

My more recent painting style has been to stick to a handful of colors and just add white/black to get different tones. I've been painting historicals a lot, so it hasn't been too hard, but I've also managed to do it with some other figures:

For Wolverine, I just used Vallejo Black, GW White Scar, Vallejo SS Middle Brown, GW Averland Sunset, GW Mephiston Red and GW Bugmans Flesh.

The black reads as blue. Are you a witch?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Silhouette posted:

Looks like black to me. I think what you're experiencing is a variant of what people experienced when they saw the infamous "dress" photo, which either appeared white and gold or black and blue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nah, I'm going with witchcraft

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Did some more Grimcast:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Silhouette posted:

MeinPanzer posted:

Looks like black to me. I think what you're experiencing is a variant of what people experienced when they saw the infamous "dress" photo, which either appeared white and gold or black and blue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

Silhouette posted:

Nah, I'm going with witchcraft

I am a witch, but it's just black with some white mixed in. Maybe it's from the light?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It looks blue because the pure black is a colder colour next to the warm yellow and is accentuated by the shade colour being the same as the pure black. So your brain perceives the shaded areas of the yellow fabric (spandex?) as approaching black and it sees the pure black as blue because it's too cold to be the same black as the one being used to shade the yellow. If that makes sense.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished a test model for my blood bowl team! Just need to apply transfers and varnish, but I'll apply all the transfers when the whole team is done.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

And for something much different, I picked up some STLs for a death korps of krieg force so I decided to paint up a test model for that!

This was super fun and easy to paint up. Primed black (using the Vallejo Mecha primer and it's far superior to the Stynelrez imo), coated with Vallejo Air Intermediate blue, zenithal'd with white ink. Then everything was just mixes of various contrast paints except for the metals and washes. The cloak is Gryph Charger Grey mixed with Basilicanum Grey, the helmet is straight basilicanum, wyrdwood for the gun, skeleton horde for the leather/canvas bags, and some gore-grunta fur for the boots (mixed with skeleton horde). The metal is Vallejo Metal Magnesium and the gold is PP Necrotic Gold.Then I washed the cold areas with nuln oil and the brown areas (including armor) with agrax earthshade.

Overall it took about an hour, with a lot of time spent choosing paints, and included time drying with the hair dryer and hitting with varnish at the end.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I finished a Tech-Priest Manipulus, pretty happy with how it turned out. It was my first admech guy. A lot more spindly bits than the orks.