Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

Right now the case presented against him is pretty solid. I will be completely shocked if he walks.

I think it's a flex, they'll let the solid case build up and then intimidate the jury into acquitting or at least hanging in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Sidebar because Dr. Tobin just mentioned a blood gas measurement.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sidebar because Dr. Tobin just mentioned a blood gas measurement.

Can we move to the Hollywood system where surprise witnesses are allowed?

Because thats some bullshit

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

RFC2324 posted:

He didn't actually mention the CO measurement, though, so we're groovy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

He didn't actually mention the CO measurement, though, so we're groovy.

Yup. It was a reference to gas evidence already introduced, so everything's peachy.

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1382717547942793216?s=19

RFC2324 posted:

It's all good. The already-introduced evidence is plenty to call the defense's expert explanation bullshit refuted by already-introduced numbers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dr. Tobin is basically the perfect expert witness.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dr. Tobin is basically the perfect expert witness.

Here's something for you that I'm weary of in the next few minutes - could the defense deliberately try to get Tobin to refer to the unintroduced test results to deliberately get a mistrial? Or would the judge squash that poo poo?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

facialimpediment posted:

Here's something for you that I'm weary of in the next few minutes - could the defense deliberately try to get Tobin to refer to the unintroduced test results to deliberately get a mistrial? Or would the judge squash that poo poo?

Or if the cops got to him/his family.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

SchnorkIes posted:

Or if the cops got to him/his family.

Likely not a risk in this case. The police department thoroughly underbussed Chauvin in this trial. The trial had very little thin blue line bullshit, if any. If anything, that's the big surprise of the trial, very little BACK THE BLUE poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t know how you can watch the video and come away with the conclusion “idk maybe he didn’t”

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

facialimpediment posted:

Yup. It was a reference to gas evidence already introduced, so everything's peachy.

https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1382717547942793216?s=19

It's all good. The already-introduced evidence is plenty to call the defense's expert explanation bullshit refuted by already-introduced numbers.

Doesn’t CO poisoning gently caress with pulse ox measurement though? I thought I remembered from like first aid or something that rosy skin + confusion + pulse ox 100% = CO poisoning

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Doesn’t CO poisoning gently caress with pulse ox measurement though? I thought I remembered from like first aid or something that rosy skin + confusion + pulse ox 100% = CO poisoning

https://stormanesthesia.com/anesthe...d%20reflection.

Depends on your pulse oximeter I guess.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Big update to one of the big stories of 2020

https://twitter.com/noahshachtman/status/1382713472056709123?s=21

quote:

It was a blockbuster story about Russia’s return to the imperial “Great Game” in Afghanistan. The Kremlin had spread money around the longtime central Asian battlefield for militants to kill remaining U.S. forces. It sparked a massive outcry from Democrats and their #resistance amplifiers about the treasonous Russian puppet in the White House whose admiration for Vladimir Putin had endangered American troops.

But on Thursday, the Biden administration announced that U.S. intelligence only had “low to moderate” confidence in the story after all. Translated from the jargon of spyworld, that means the intelligence agencies have found the story is, at best, unproven—and possibly untrue

Whoops! Honest mistakes happen.

It is kind of funny how much the spy agencies hated Trump but I'm not super thrilled at the idea of them actively playing politics. Though it's not like that's their first rodeo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

Nah. The judge wouldn't let that type of poo poo fly. Not like it matters since they closed and we're just awaiting closing arguments next week. Over the next afternoon and all day tomorrow the lawyers and the judge will hammer out the jury instructions.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I feel like all proving that it was CO from the car exhaust does is change the exact means, but without casting doubt on it. So the suffocation part of torturing and suffocating someone in your power to death is a little different.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CO just seems bizzare, because even if its from the exhaust, it's still dumbasses fault for not moving him.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Oh it’s a completely BS claim and everyone knows it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah and even if it was real, it just makes him look like an even bigger idiot who killed him in multiple ways.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

"your honor, it obviously wasn't murder because while my client stabbed the alleged victim 14 times, it was actually the gunshot my client dispensed that killed him"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hasn't it been a thing since Euro 3 emissions standards that it was all but impossible to kill yourself even in a closed garage from car exhaust?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The SUV was also a hybrid and there's no indication that it was even running at the time.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/usaghawaii/status/1381795671213236225?s=19

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:stare:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I am reminded of this picture that I took at Ft Gordon

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's not exactly the dining facility improvements the troops are looking for.

What's next month, suicide awareness month with pancakes shaped like forearms and only strawberry jam for a topping?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's not exactly the dining facility improvements the troops are looking for.

What's next month, suicide awareness month with pancakes shaped like forearms and only strawberry jam for a topping?

Free rope giveaway.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Glad to see commanders keeping sexual assault response/prevention at the top of the list.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Almost like capitalism bad

You think this started in the 1800s? :lol:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

I definitely think it was exacerbated, yes. Almost as if it leads to outcomes of increased inequality

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If any of y'all haven't watched Pat Robertson play with guns, you should.

https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1382727213448056836

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

If any of y'all haven't watched Pat Robertson play with guns, you should.

https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1382727213448056836

That was so weird, I never thought I’d be nodding my head in agreement with Pat Robertson.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

FrozenVent posted:

Gotta go up there and say something that sounds plausible and hasn't been directly refuted at length by the experts. It only takes one full buy-in. Based on what I've seen this guy is extremely and obviously guilty though.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 15, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I definitely think it was exacerbated, yes. Almost as if it leads to outcomes of increased inequality

It has nothing to do with capitalism. They can both be bad, but it doesn't mean they're tied together.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Godholio posted:

I think that there's a lot of people that use "capitalism" as a critique of a lot of stuff that is really more the result of greed and shortsightedness, which are traits that go back to the dawn of human history. Capitalist economic systems obviously and openly reward greed and shortsightedness, but it's far from an exclusive feature of that system, and in other systems those traits often simply manifest in different ways.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

It has nothing to do with capitalism. They can both be bad, but it doesn't mean they're tied together.

Okay, explain to me how Capital using capital to lobby in the interests of Capital has nothing to with capitalism, please, because you've lost me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Okay, explain to me how Capital using capital to lobby in the interests of Capital has nothing to with capitalism, please, because you've lost me.

It's this, friendo:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think that there's a lot of people that use "capitalism" as a critique of a lot of stuff that is really more the result of greed and shortsightedness, which are traits that go back to the dawn of human history. Capitalist economic systems obviously and openly reward greed and shortsightedness, but it's far from an exclusive feature of that system, and in other systems those traits often simply manifest in different ways.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Really diving into pedantry to give Capital a pass

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!
Lobbying is a pretty direct byproduct of our economic system imo. At least in the form it has taken on in D.C.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Love to have a piece of unmelted butter on top of five pancakes resting on a thin layer of syrup. The breakfast from "pancakes/divorce/pancakes" looked more appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

It's an example of an overstressed bureaucratic system only responding to those with influence and power. Capitalism just determines who has the most influence and power (i.e. those with the most money), in other systems it would be who has the most familial connections, who's highest up in the party, etc.