Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Panama Canal is ready for Ever Given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im megasenegal

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Platystemon posted:

Meanwhile the Red Sea got closed.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I'm the Great Persian Lake

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I'm the arisen black sea Atlantis

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Platystemon posted:

I believe you mean the Panama Channel

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm Bots and Ana

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

BonHair posted:

Somalia being excluded because it's barely a country

thank you poster bonhair, because of you I’ve realized that I am floating in the air.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

Why does Papua New Guinea get to be Western?

They got the good, European Protestant missionary colonialism instead of the bad Muslim colonialism

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Tree Goat posted:

while there are lots of things i could be from this map, currently i'm thindia

#mapswithoutnewzealand

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bodyholes posted:

#mapswithoutnewzealand

#mapswithoutindonesia

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Caspian Sea is cut out, like the ocean, but the Black Sea is not.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I’m Ivory Coast’s annexation of half of Mali

E: nvm, I’m toothpick Italy

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Not Hindu. But its actually the opposite for the most part. Historically the sects did consider themselves different religions entirely depending on whether they centered vishnu or shiva etc. By historically I mean before when the roman empire fell in the west. Around 700 or so a guy named Adi Shankara came around who said that actually all hindu gods are just reflections of brahman so really its the same religion. He did however draw very big distinctions between hinduism and buddhism in part because his opponents kept accusing him of being a secret buddhist due to a lot of his ideas resembling mahayana buddhist concepts.

His ideas picked up a lot of steam though and hindus began to think of themselves as a single religon with many sects when Nalanda and Naropa were destroyed during the mughal invasion and buddhism was expelled from the indian subcontinent hindus sort of kept thinking of themselves as a single religion defined by the fact that they weren't muslims who now ruled india. This has gotten to the point where nowadays with hindutva many hindu nationalists consider buddhism to simply be a sect of hinduism (this is actually in the constitution of india which is one of many reasons why dalits convert to buddhism to protest casteism as many states have anti-conversion laws but its technically not conversion) as many of the concepts are similar, it originated in the indian subcontinent, and buddha is in hindu belief the 9th incarnation of vishnu.

There's a semi-meme argument to be made that buddhism is a hindu reform movement (though beyond the glib similarities, the two are structurally and doctrinally quite concretely diverged at this point). That said, it works a lot better as a joke than as a factual, earnest statement.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 14, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Finally, someone willing to show the world how to identify Thaikhmerlao characters

Tree Goat posted:

We all knew global warming was going to be bad, and that it’d hit the global south the hardest, but nobody expected Africa to just melt into an unidentifiable blob.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's a semi-meme argument to be made that buddhism is a hindu reform movement (though beyond the glib similarities, the two are structurally and doctrinally quite concretely diverged at this point). That said, it works a lot better as a joke than as a factual, earnest statement.

this is a "meme" argument that among others gandhi made

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

this is a "meme" argument that among others gandhi made

Yeah it's been kicking around for a long time among buddhists, too and a somewhat earnest case can be made for it and is somewhat accurate insofar as historical buddha was absolutely seeking to reform and improve on extant hindu religion and practices. It just becomes pretty reductive and not taken seriously once you include the full historical context and separation of the last two and a half millennia

alnilam posted:

When americans call Afghanistan part of the middle east I can never tell if they just have no idea where it is (probably), or are racistly lumping it in with the other muslim countries we bomb (probably), or if they just have a more expansive definition of "middle east" than I do.

The real head scratcher is when someone calls pakistan the middle east.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

muslim and pretty borders. what else do you need

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pakistan is pretty clearly in the Middle East on the basis that it is west of the Far East and east of the Near East.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Tree Goat posted:

I've seen plenty of maps without New Zealand, but no Korea, Japan, or British Isles? Especially given mapmakers often bend over backward to fit in the latter two.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mr. Belpit posted:

I've seen plenty of maps without New Zealand, but no Korea, Japan, or British Isles? Especially given mapmakers often bend over backward to fit in the latter two.

I thought maybe they were just omitting small-ish islands since it's on a wireframe, but then I noticed that they closed the Torres Strait to show PNG ... but not the entire island of New Guinea. I really can't imagine how someone spent so much effort to make such a catastrophically bad map.

It also looks like the Black Sea became an actual country and is not cut out like the Caspian.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I think the thing that's really bizarre is that in some places they've made an effort to get borders right within the limits of the piece and then in other places they've just invented countries or erased others.

Like missing islands/seas sort of makes sense from a sense of structural practicality, but did they just not have access to a map of Africa and decided to paint it from memory?

I'm also very curious as to where it is from as I can't see any one country that is obviously correct.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think the thing that's really bizarre is that in some places they've made an effort to get borders right within the limits of the piece and then in other places they've just invented countries or erased others.

Like missing islands/seas sort of makes sense from a sense of structural practicality, but did they just not have access to a map of Africa and decided to paint it from memory?

Well, you know what they say. "We know more about the surface of the moon than the interior of Africa."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm Free Sapmi

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
The Baltic ..Unsea?

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Imagine going to the trouble of making sure Greenland is identified as a sub-state of Denmark, but then leaving Denmark off altogether.

Edit: Also, is that two Switzerlands or what? Unrelatedly, that is definitely a hard "R" Nigeria.

Geshtal fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 14, 2021

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Also no Koreas at all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Geshtal posted:

Edit: Also, is that two Switzerlands or what?

Might be the Kingdom of Burgundy

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tree Goat posted:

Hey thindia, I'm... thintaly

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Things got weird after most of Finland was nuked out of existence, and the Baltic Seawall was erected.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

This is pretty cool: The University of Göttingen has put a new map tool online showing trade routes in late medieval and early modern northern central Europe, i.e. the routes used by the Hanseatic League to transport its goods. It's still a work in progress so expect a bunch of new stuff/features to be added in. The project is also documented pretty well if you're interested in that sort of thing.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Tree Goat posted:

This map of yours that you posted is really making an appearance around the forums, besides this one I've seen it in three other threads already.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Land bridge between UAE and Iran checking in. Also lol at the Panama strait.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

gently caress off Batman posted:

This map of yours that you posted is really making an appearance around the forums, besides this one I've seen it in three other threads already.

It's an amazing map.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Do we know where it's from? The first thing I looked for were the usual signs of cultural biases but it's hosed from a lot of angles.

God, just saw "Qatar Saud Arabia"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Randallteal posted:

Do we know where it's from? The first thing I looked for were the usual signs of cultural biases but it's hosed from a lot of angles.

The closest thing I can get to a political agenda is gently caress even somewhat isolated land masses below a certain size.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Randallteal posted:

My cartographer coworker shared this tweet:

https://twitter.com/manenbu/status/1381044216105553922?s=21

which is as far as I got with sourcing

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Randallteal posted:

Probably Chinese.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20000001347136.html

From the same series:

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 15, 2021

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kennel posted:

Probably Chinese.

Good god, it's giant. Also, lol imagine having such a fancy-rear end house, and then having a massive and godawful map above your sofa. "After careful production by designers", lmao.

E: Also the second map, of China, does not have the nine-dashed line shown as part of China. IMHO execute these designers for their disloyalty and offending China's feelings. Is the map precise enough to make it clear whether they show the Chinese-claimed parts of Pakistan and India as part of China? I can't really tell, although based on their world map I imagine "precision" is not their forte.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saladman posted:

Good god, it's giant

1,22m isn't giant. The photo with the sofa clearly isn't to scale. They always fake them so you'll buy a 50mm*50mm "wall" decnal because in the photo it looked as big as a big thing.