Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Barudak posted:

They did and it rules.

I like how they let you rank your preferences. First time through and I got my third choice (Mid), but luckily my flying war criminal can go there just fine. :getin:

Barudak posted:

so I guess Im only playing ranked and ARAM now??

I wish they'd bring back ARAM already. <:mad:>

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Since role queue every single one of my matches has been found in sub 10 seconds and I've never not been my first choice. It is life changing and since its not available in unranked so I guess Im only playing ranked and ARAM now??

Looking over my win lose record I am a Sona based fraud.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

As is often said, the difference between ranked and unranked is ranked makes your number visible.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Biplane posted:

Posting to say Varus is dope and most people can not handle his crazy poke

Varus is a better sniper than Cait. :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

As is often said, the difference between ranked and unranked is ranked makes your number visible.

Well there is a role queue difference now, so thats why its ranked only even if I patently despise the promotion system.

I use unranked to competitively play champs Im not ready to take into ranked, find out I suck more than ever thought possible with them, and then go play ranked with who Im comfortable with. Diana, someday I will be able to play you instead of just feeding.

My first random skin reward was Malphite so I guess Im learning him now

Edit: Part of my problem playing diana is they clearly reworked her kit to not suck now with a change everyone who used to play her probably thought of and Im struggling to adjust to her having way better options especially with minions around.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Tired Moritz posted:

Isn't Amumu like the braindead jungler and still pretty good

Amumu is hard whenever ultra-mobile champions are all the rage because bandage has a decent windup. He is braindead whenever the ADC's/non-mobile mages are the thing most people are playing. Granted, when you're learning the game you're probably playing a low enough ELO where mobility champs won't save their dash to not get stunned-smacked in the face-raged on-stunned in a big aoe-stunned again, so he is great for learning the jungle.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The only reasons I don’t usually recommend Amu for newer junglers are:

1) he doesn’t have an easy escape outside of bandaging a camp if you get countered
2) bandage is skill shot which can easily be dodged
3) his ult combo is a little harder to land because of 2

From a clearing perspective he is dead simple and it’s nearly impossible to die. I just think it’s way easier to learn Vi or Voli or Rammus. You have more on demand escapes, faster clear and more forgiving abilities.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah but he has the sad birthday party skin so he's pretty much the best jungler possible.

Im also biased because I started playing LoL so long ago that like none of these champs existed and Amumu was the jungler you wanted to see on your team of the like, 3 champs that could remotely viably jungle

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 14, 2021

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
The trick to bandage toss (much like pretty much any hard CC skillshot) is to walk up to them as much as you can before you throw it, as opposed to the autofilled jungler special of wandering into toplane, missing a q at max range the nanosecond they get into range, and waddling back to the jungle

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monicro posted:

The trick to bandage toss (much like pretty much any hard CC skillshot) is to walk up to them as much as you can before you throw it, as opposed to the autofilled jungler special of wandering into toplane, missing a q at max range the nanosecond they get into range, and waddling back to the jungle
please don't call me out like this

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
i've played some rammus, but the one i've locked onto lately is Nunu.. I think he has alot of advantages for a new players once you get used to rolling the snowball around corners. His health sustain off that one skill is insane, to the point you can kind of have a 0 risk first clear of your jungle where you can quickly burn through your camps and pop into the river at level 3 with full HP and with 2 charges on your potion. After that it's all about killing a crab and picking one of the adjacent lanes to roll a snowball into. That skill is so ridiculous that you can fairly easily solo dragons or baron if the other team gets distracted and leaves you alone for half a minute, which is really not the case with other Junglers I've played. From a selfish save your own skin viewpoint he's very good at running away from people too if you can pelt them with the e skill shot as they are chasing you.

**at my level being able to solo kill dragons is kind of a must alot of the time :(

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 14, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Monicro posted:

This is slander and I will not have it

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUMOxCtAcZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZekNZgEWD10

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 14, 2021

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

as someone who has literally never lost as amumu, the trick to landing bandage toss is simply not to miss. good luck out in the rift summoners

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Got absolutely shellacked by a 5 stack a few moments ago. I'm pretty sure the dude that was playing Xin Zhao on their team must be pretty experienced, as I managed to kill him once counter ganking in top lane as Nidalee, but then he killed me after respawn at scuttle crab, then hid in a bush when I was on my way to check dragon and got me again. Then proceeded to get a pocket yumi and basically just farm me in the jungle so I couldn't really do anything

They also were clearly on voice coms because man, they were super fast at collapsing and had really good team work

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In wild rift I think one of the most important skills is bailing the second you finish killing someone. I've seen so many comebacks fall apart when the team sticks around after picking someone off and then gets deathballed

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

God the Blitz one is perfect. This guy reminds me a ton of Carbots but doing League stuff

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I have been playing ranked with a friend and they lost their account and had to make a new one. You can't use flash until you're level 7, you can only play blind pick or ARAM until level 10, and you don't have runes. Or any champions. I think I may have repressed my own memories of how awful and terrible league of legends is to new players. :psyduck:

fnox
May 19, 2013

Biplane posted:

I have been playing ranked with a friend and they lost their account and had to make a new one. You can't use flash until you're level 7, you can only play blind pick or ARAM until level 10, and you don't have runes. Or any champions. I think I may have repressed my own memories of how awful and terrible league of legends is to new players. :psyduck:

The onboarding experience is god awful. The level 30 grind exists solely as a check to see if you still wanna play even if you get destroyed and/or flamed every single game. The worst thing is, this is actually better than it was originally, you used to not even get enough points for more than 2 of the 6300 tier champions. Now, you at least get a couple of them.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Biplane posted:

where'd their account go

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Verviticus posted:

where'd their account go

it's a whole thing and I didn't want to get into it

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Biplane posted:

god it used to be so much worse. still bad thouhg

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Biplane posted:

it's a whole thing and I didn't want to get into it

hmmm interesting

well im gonna say the current system is there to match new players with new players and to try to cultivate their understanding of the game somewhat slowly so its not overwhelming to them

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Verviticus posted:

hmmm interesting

yeah it is and you'll never know anything more about it :hehe:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i only need my assumptions

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
you can just say they said gamer words it's okay

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bleck posted:

you can just say they said gamer words it's okay

Saying gamer words is never okay.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

fnox posted:

The onboarding experience is god awful. The level 30 grind exists solely as a check to see if you still wanna play even if you get destroyed and/or flamed every single game. The worst thing is, this is actually better than it was originally, you used to not even get enough points for more than 2 of the 6300 tier champions. Now, you at least get a couple of them.

you also used to not get flash until almost level 30
and buying champs used the same currency (IP) as buying old paytowin runes so if you actually wanted to unlock interesting characters to play you would be at an explicit statistical disadvantage compared to your enemies
some junglers couldn't even finish their first clear without the stats from a rune page

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

and buying champs used the same currency (IP) as buying old paytowin runes so if you actually wanted to unlock interesting characters to play you would be at an explicit statistical disadvantage compared to your enemies
some junglers couldn't even finish their first clear without the stats from a rune page

My favorite was you couldn't even use akalis passive early game without a specific rune page, until they decided to give her a buff to specifically make her passive work all the time. Which they did by raising base stats... Not by changing her passive.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I miss playing against squishy characters like Zilean when they wouldn't get armor yellow runes. As a Thresh that 7 base armor Zilean might as well be wearing a kick me sign :getin:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

my experience as a new player who started playing the game a couple months ago is that the matchmaking system is excellent. It breaks down when you queue with people who are vastly different skill levels as you (like for example the couple of times i've played with much more experienced goons), but for the most part the warnings of smurfs dominating every game and the new player experience being garbage until you "get good" have been much overblown. It seems like the smurfs are basically all sorted out into smurf queue very early on. Learning the game has felt much more fair and enjoyable than trying to learn DOTA which was absolute trash with a broken rear end tutorial that didn't do the things it was supposed to be teaching you and no apparent matchmaking system at all... or maybe it would start to kick in after you got your teeth kicked in the first 30 times, i never got to that point.

The only part of the game I have found arbitrary and unfair is the having to buy extra rune pages for a ridiculous amount of dust (equivalent to the most expensive champions). Given that the game should be encouraging you to try new things I find it incredibly frustrating that you get 3 rune pages you can edit total. Why you are not allowed to delete or edit the 5 "base" rune pages (which are not configured properly for basically any build i have ever found for any champion i've been trying out) is beyond me.

I am almost at level 30 now, I've probably leveled up much slower than most because even when i get around to firing the game up I am old and I get tired after playing like 2 games at most and wander off to do something else with the rest of my evening.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

AND you couldn't even change rune pages in champ select, so if you want to take armor vs a certain matchup, hope you bought a separate page for that!!

Mirth
Jul 23, 2008

We're all soldiers now.

Starsfan posted:

Given that the game should be encouraging you to try new things I find it incredibly frustrating that you get 3 rune pages you can edit total.

Apologies if you already know this but you can edit your rune pages while in champ select. I'm level 116 and only just found this out like a couple weeks ago. I was real mad about the exorbitant cost of additional pages as well until I discovered that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Starsfan posted:

my experience as a new player who started playing the game a couple months ago is that the matchmaking system is excellent. It breaks down when you queue with people who are vastly different skill levels as you (like for example the couple of times i've played with much more experienced goons), but for the most part the warnings of smurfs dominating every game and the new player experience being garbage until you "get good" have been much overblown. It seems like the smurfs are basically all sorted out into smurf queue very early on. Learning the game has felt much more fair and enjoyable than trying to learn DOTA which was absolute trash with a broken rear end tutorial that didn't do the things it was supposed to be teaching you and no apparent matchmaking system at all... or maybe it would start to kick in after you got your teeth kicked in the first 30 times, i never got to that point.

The only part of the game I have found arbitrary and unfair is the having to buy extra rune pages for a ridiculous amount of dust (equivalent to the most expensive champions). Given that the game should be encouraging you to try new things I find it incredibly frustrating that you get 3 rune pages you can edit total. Why you are not allowed to delete or edit the 5 "base" rune pages (which are not configured properly for basically any build i have ever found for any champion i've been trying out) is beyond me.

I am almost at level 30 now, I've probably leveled up much slower than most because even when i get around to firing the game up I am old and I get tired after playing like 2 games at most and wander off to do something else with the rest of my evening.

You can edit rune pages on the champ select screen so the incredibly stupid 'intended' way to play the game is just to memorize the rune page for every champ you play and edit one of your 3 free pages to the correct build every time.

Really, limited rune pages only exist because they used to exist in the terrible older rune system, where you bought them with real money (and they were actually pay-to-win, since you couldn't edit old runes in champ select). Riot didn't want to refund all the people who bought their old p2w rune pages so they forced the dumb system of limited pages into the new rune system anyways.

edit: beaten twice lmao

strong bird
May 12, 2009

theres also a suite of programs now that will set your rune pages for you on the fly. i wont mention any of them by name though as i am a troller

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Mirth posted:

Apologies if you already know this but you can edit your rune pages while in champ select. I'm level 116 and only just found this out like a couple weeks ago. I was real mad about the exorbitant cost of additional pages as well until I discovered that.

yeah i know that you can (once you actually create the three extra ones which nothing in the game tells you how to do it or even that you can) but my memory and game knowledge isn't at that point yet where i can intelligently do it..

My rune pages are called "Nunu", "Quinn" and "Leona" and i just make them work for anyone else as needed :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One of the fantastic things about Wild Rift is you don't buy rune pages and each champs setups (items, skills, runes) are tied to them individually and you can have multiple. If you pick a champ it automatically gives you the last setup you used for that champ.

It also lets you see your exact ranking on the server by total skill and champ and now I know I should stop playing anything but sona.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I will always ban Gwen if you do not reserve her in the first phase of select, in order to hurry up with the dodge of people only playing to try out the new person.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I will always ban Gwen if you do not reserve her in the first phase of select, in order to hurry up with the dodge of people only playing to try out the new person.

yeah I am kind of new to this, first rodeo and all.. is it pretty much a shoe in that Gwen is in every one of my games for the next month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Starsfan posted:

yeah I am kind of new to this, first rodeo and all.. is it pretty much a shoe in that Gwen is in every one of my games for the next month?

If you don't play draft, yes.

I don't think that's a terrible thing though. I've played her a few times and played against her and don't find her to be overly strong. Viego was obnoxious enough when he launched to be constantly banned but I find Gwen to be a minor nuisance. She plays a lot like Morde and is good/bad at many of the same matchups.