Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I don’t understand. Are you mad people are working less than 40 hours a week and skating by pretending to?

i don't want to live in a world where the #1 priority at almost all times of the day isn't making a number go up somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i got t-boned on my commute back in October, heading into the office to do something i could've done at home.

really the problem with Americans, at least, is what busy body morons they are and are constantly doing performative "hard-working" things or running errands and buying poo poo they don't need in lieu of actually having brains or personalities

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I don’t understand. Are you mad people are working less than 40 hours a week and skating by pretending to?

I think they're being facetious.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's the unspoken understanding that for a lot of people there just aren't forty hours worth of work, so they'll keep paying you for those forty hours, but you gotta sit at the office while you don't work instead of doing it comfortably from home.

It's really funny to have my monthly team meeting where everyone has to go around and lie about how busy we are. Like two people were hired after me and took some of my duties because I was legit drowning. It gets to them and they make a production about how busy they are when I know for a fact they only have about 15 hours of work a week.

I'll never snitch because they have a sweet gig and are making my job easier.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

boar guy posted:

and obviously, this is why they want everyone back at work. the illusion that we all have to share personal space to get anything productive done has been shattered, an entire class of workers (managers) has been shown definitively to be redundant

There's a good case that some management positions are completely pointless, sure. A few jobs back the delivery assurance manager left to take care of her mother and for six months they didn't fill the position. The members of her team lobbied the next level manager to not replace her because they found it easier to just self assign work rather than wait for the manager to hand it out, which was seemingly her only function.

If my department didn't have a competent manager, however, it would fall apart in a couple days. We function as a mini company within a company and someone needs to provide direction and prioritize. Otherwise we would be completely hosed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ben shapino posted:

i don't want to live in a world where the #1 priority at almost all times of the day isn't making a number go up somewhere
Same but they make video games for that now so if corporate america goes away I'm not sure I'd notice.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

So few people read our internal dept newsletter that takes 8 people to write (aside from their podcast duties) that they began offering gift cards to try to get people to click on the link. Instead of, you know, realizing this is a poor use of resources.

Inzombiac posted:

It's really funny to have my monthly team meeting where everyone has to go around and lie about how busy we are. Like two people were hired after me and took some of my duties because I was legit drowning. It gets to them and they make a production about how busy they are when I know for a fact they only have about 15 hours of work a week.

Oh for sure, especially when I'd understand having team meetings if the other people in the room were doing work related to what I do and shared relevant info. Not to hear random stuff followed by mandatory gratitudes. Out of curiosity I checked into what our two most toxic/highly paid coworkers had actually produced in a year, then extended this search to three years. Almost nothing.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 15, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

So few people read our internal dept newsletter that takes 8 people to write (aside from their podcast duties) that they began offering gift cards to try to get people to click on the link. Instead of, you know, realizing this is a poor use of resources.

How many full time equivalent positions does it take to write the newsletter?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I liket he cross-team catch up meetings where nobody has any idea what other people would be interested in, and eitehr go way too deep into things that make no impact on anybody else, or just list a hundred things they did to try and sound busy. Then you go way over and spend ten minutes trying to figure out if you should skip the ten minute break, but instead just take a three minute break. So people are trickling back in for fifteen minutes while everyone says they'll hurry up and go quickly through the important parts but then they end up just reading their slides and giong over again.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

me: "Hey, I figured out this adjustment to one of our scripts that doesn't change the end result at all but runs 20x faster. This is one of our two huge bottlenecks that shuts down anyone working from home for an hour or two at a time, and fixing this removes dependence on a single workstation that's reached end of life and is audibly at the 'hardware failure' point. I sent a copy of my work off to our IT guy to review before switching anything over to use it; can we run tests on this in the testing environment to see if it processes fine, since they're swamped as gently caress and it'll take weeks or months to hear anything back?"

manager, who would directly stand to benefit if this went through because he's one of the ones who gets shut down by it (and is a genuine work addict who isn't just using the shutdown as a cover), having not spoken with IT at all: "no, IT won't review it, just forget about it for now"

I'm not even sure why I try solving problems any more.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

me: "Hey, I figured out this adjustment to one of our scripts that doesn't change the end result at all but runs 20x faster. This is one of our two huge bottlenecks that shuts down anyone working from home for an hour or two at a time, and fixing this removes dependence on a single workstation that's reached end of life and is audibly at the 'hardware failure' point. I sent a copy of my work off to our IT guy to review before switching anything over to use it; can we run tests on this in the testing environment to see if it processes fine, since they're swamped as gently caress and it'll take weeks or months to hear anything back?"

manager, who would directly stand to benefit if this went through because he's one of the ones who gets shut down by it (and is a genuine work addict who isn't just using the shutdown as a cover), having not spoken with IT at all: "no, IT won't review it, just forget about it for now"

do you work at like.. an idiot factory or something?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Ask for forgiveness, not permission.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The real idiot is you, for trying to do any work in this enviroment. the galaxy brain is the guy who does so little work that people have stopped even asking him to do any work, and yet he hasn't been fired somehow

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Outrail posted:

How many full time equivalent positions does it take to write the newsletter?

I believe 3 or 4. We have a larger internal company magazine that you'd think would cover this void.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I believe 3 or 4. We have a larger internal company magazine that you'd think would cover this void.

How big is this department?

I'm just swamped in work and would kill for some help and then there's these guys playing with their e-zines wtf.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Outrail posted:

How big is this department?

I'm just swamped in work and would kill for some help and then there's these guys playing with their e-zines wtf.

12 people including their own manager. poo poo I just ran some ballpark math, these people must cost us a million a year in pay alone. I've mentioned before they also make a podcast only for our dept (not even all of the corporate office) that has listeners in the low double digits. So they hired a full time audio engineer. They don't even send out essential internal emails, we have secretaries who do that. If they aren't working on the newsletter or podcast they spend all day in meetings.

On the plus side they are more mildly annoying than toxic.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

ben shapino posted:

do you work at like.. an idiot factory or something?

Worse: ecommerce. The factory was better.

Armitag3 posted:

Ask for forgiveness, not permission.

The issue is if it ends up that "forgiveness" is "uh, hey, so I accidentally broke our largest supplier and we have no way of knowing until the one accounting for 15% or so of our yearly revenue suddenly starts dropping orders". I have limited test environment access and nothing "under the hood" to know if there's something in this tangle of completely uncommented VBA written by overseas developers a decade ago that I'd be breaking with modifications. Very much in "self taught" territory, and while I trust that enough for my local modifications, I don't really trust it when a day of downtime for one vendor costs more than I make in 6 months and I have no way to see it coming.

So, uh, playing it safe. Just like the other "this could fix our entire process and cut 8 hours of work to 1, but I need IT assistance to make the last 1% of it work". That one I didn't even bother bringing up while working on it, just went straight to IT and was told they didn't have time.

poisonpill posted:

The real idiot is you, for trying to do any work in this enviroment. the galaxy brain is the guy who does so little work that people have stopped even asking him to do any work, and yet he hasn't been fired somehow

I hate that you're correct, but I hate broken processes more and put my dumb brain against the grindstone of unfucking legacy code in languages I'm learning in the process of doing so anyway. It's better than just sitting and being a human replacement for an import script for a couple days out of the week, anyway.

At least our one and only IT guy did offer me first consideration if any positions open up. I fear the nightmare of what goes on there (and I am not going loving salary at this place) but if I can actually get to fix some of our mountain of tech debt with less red tape between me and implementation then I might feel slightly better than I currently do with "my job exists to fill an unnecessary economic niche of exploiting boomer brain to sell things for 2-3x what they're actually worth at minimum, because 'luxury' and 'looking rich'". Because that's been a bad feel for a while. "I'm at least solving someone's problems and making people's lives easier" feels a hell of a lot better, but nowhere doing that full time is exactly getting back to applications.

Or paying. I get that fulfillment on the weekends on a volunteer basis at least. And even if the humans do, the cats don't put up red tape.
Okay, not dragging this further into e/n territory. I do feel better writing it all out at least. Early stage burnout is !!fun!!.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hyrax Attack! posted:

they also make a podcast only for our dept (not even all of the corporate office) that has listeners in the low double digits.

I’m amazed it’s that high, who would want to listen to a podcast about work?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

After a long, tough day at the office, it’s nice to decompress on the drive home by listening to a nice podcast about.... the office?!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Scientastic posted:

I’m amazed it’s that high, who would want to listen to a podcast about work?

poisonpill posted:

After a long, tough day at the office, it’s nice to decompress on the drive home by listening to a nice podcast about.... the office?!

Two clarifications: the listener counts include when they're testing the link. Actual listeners who don't also make the podcast are single digits. We have thousands of employees in this dept.

Also you can't easily download the episodes to a podcast device. They just upload the audio to a private YouTube and send out the link. I guess you could still listen on your drive time commute but it would be a hassle.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Obligatory "use NewPipe for audio-only YouTube streaming", but please don't use it to subject yourself to this.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Okay well obviously you need to find a couple links to some times they’re talking about the most boring topic available like an interview with accountants and share it here somehow get the watch count up to hundreds. See if you can get them to focus solely on accounting interviews.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i would be interested in cool tips, tricks, and hacks for always filing my T-sheets on time.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We can ask them to start making some merch. Every podcast needs merch.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Inzombiac posted:

My boss has been either "busy" (probably true, actually) or on vacation for the past two months to do our (formerly daily, now Monday morning) conference calls. This means I haven't had to spend the first 10 minutes of the meeting preparing mentally to ask about some busywork that doesn't really matter.

I'm usually good enough about it to not make it some complete pap that has no meaning - but there's been a few times where I was forced to sort of concoct an issue and I think my supervisor could see that and he was like "yeah, we could go in and change the wording on that spreadsheet... I'm not sure it's really a big issue at all... but, yeah we could do it I suppose"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For real though, is the group run by someone having an affair with a director and who wants a fief to their name? Because otherwise I have no idea who would hand out budget for that.

Unless it was promised to bring glorious results by the most recent set of consultant bots who came through?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Worse: ecommerce. The factory was better.

The issue is if it ends up that "forgiveness" is "uh, hey, so I accidentally broke our largest supplier and we have no way of knowing until the one accounting for 15% or so of our yearly revenue suddenly starts dropping orders". I have limited test environment access and nothing "under the hood" to know if there's something in this tangle of completely uncommented VBA written by overseas developers a decade ago that I'd be breaking with modifications. Very much in "self taught" territory, and while I trust that enough for my local modifications, I don't really trust it when a day of downtime for one vendor costs more than I make in 6 months and I have no way to see it coming.

So, uh, playing it safe. Just like the other "this could fix our entire process and cut 8 hours of work to 1, but I need IT assistance to make the last 1% of it work". That one I didn't even bother bringing up while working on it, just went straight to IT and was told they didn't have time.

I hate that you're correct, but I hate broken processes more and put my dumb brain against the grindstone of unfucking legacy code in languages I'm learning in the process of doing so anyway. It's better than just sitting and being a human replacement for an import script for a couple days out of the week, anyway.

At least our one and only IT guy did offer me first consideration if any positions open up. I fear the nightmare of what goes on there (and I am not going loving salary at this place) but if I can actually get to fix some of our mountain of tech debt with less red tape between me and implementation then I might feel slightly better than I currently do with "my job exists to fill an unnecessary economic niche of exploiting boomer brain to sell things for 2-3x what they're actually worth at minimum, because 'luxury' and 'looking rich'". Because that's been a bad feel for a while. "I'm at least solving someone's problems and making people's lives easier" feels a hell of a lot better, but nowhere doing that full time is exactly getting back to applications.

Or paying. I get that fulfillment on the weekends on a volunteer basis at least. And even if the humans do, the cats don't put up red tape.
Okay, not dragging this further into e/n territory. I do feel better writing it all out at least. Early stage burnout is !!fun!!.

You have outgrown your current role. Time to start looking at :yotj:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

goatface posted:

For real though, is the group run by someone having an affair with a director and who wants a fief to their name? Because otherwise I have no idea who would hand out budget for that.

Unless it was promised to bring glorious results by the most recent set of consultant bots who came through?

Useless consultants are almost as bad as the managers stupid enough to fall for them.
My old boss went to some BS management seminar and came back trying to make our schedules based on our Meyers-Briggs results.

I think I'm too smart for middle management.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Steakandchips posted:

You have outgrown your current role. Time to start looking at :yotj:

I've been looking at getting the hell out of here a long time. Turns out decaying rust belt is not the best place to find good work with employers that respect workers, and it costs money to get out - who'd have guessed, huh. For now this pays enough to live on somewhat comfortably at least.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Useless consultants are almost as bad as the managers stupid enough to fall for them.
My old boss went to some BS management seminar and came back trying to make our schedules based on our Meyers-Briggs results.

I think I'm too smart for middle management.

We had someone with a master's degree whose only job was to administer Myers-Briggs tests to management. Bragged about never setting foot in our retail stores as it was beneath them. Was going to be on a European vacation when the new Ghostbusters came out, but bought an opening day ticket anyway to "support the message."

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You work in the entertainment industry then?

El Chupacabras
Oct 12, 2002
Even better than consultants, do you in the US have those “employee satisfaction survey”? Where HR first sends out an email saying that they are completely anonymous and confidential but the first thing they ask from you is full name, department and employee ID #?

Best one was one where they had personal interviews and they asked: if you had the CEO in front of you, what would you tell him?You are doing great! Thanks for everything and keep up the good work!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There is a portion of my coworkers that think setting your Skype status to "In a meeting" will supersede the inactivity message.
So Jerry, I see that you've been inactive in a "meeting" for two hours when your calendar is clear.

I don't actually care, I just wish they wouldn't lie about it when I need a fast turnaround from them on a project.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
There is a global, organization-wide virtual town hall coming up soon and they have been encouraging us to submit and vote on questions for executives to address.

Amidst all the people clamoring for explanations as to why we can't get promotions or raises I find this: "Show us you're real people. what is your favorite peanut butter and why?"

Whoever the loving chuds are that submitted and voted for that absolute softball should be executed on sight. Not that I have any delusions that they will address legitimate concerns anyways... but don't make it any easier on them to avoid it!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gin_Rummy posted:

There is a global, organization-wide virtual town hall coming up soon and they have been encouraging us to submit and vote on questions for executives to address.

Amidst all the people clamoring for explanations as to why we can't get promotions or raises I find this: "Show us you're real people. what is your favorite peanut butter and why?"

Whoever the loving chuds are that submitted and voted for that absolute softball should be executed on sight. Not that I have any delusions that they will address legitimate concerns anyways... but don't make it any easier on them to avoid it!
A suit submitted that themself and if it gets asked they will conveniently have a funny motivating story about peanut butter they want to tell.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to ask them to prove they're real people at least get them to do a full The Thing blood sample or something, jeez.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Inzombiac posted:

:whoptc:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Meyers-Briggs, such a peasant methodology. Have you heard of DISC my friend :wotwot:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

zedprime posted:

Meyers-Briggs, such a peasant methodology. Have you heard of DISC my friend :wotwot:

I don't put much stock in personality inventories invented by the pervert who created Wonder Woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Whole lot of INTJs in this thread.